Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Discendo Vox posted:

Panera Bread is being sued by the family of a girl who died after consuming their "charged" lemonades. The girl had an underlying heart condition that was probably triggered by the drink. Panera's in damage control, swapping labeling and such, and will probably settle, but the death was the product of ludicrously bad practice on their part.

This is a flavored lemonade that was, in many places it was advertised, not labeled as containing caffeine. Where it was labeled as containing caffeine, it generally just said it "has as much as our dark roast coffee", instead of giving specific numbers. Craziest of all it was served in a self-serve unlimited soda fountain format, next to their fruit juices.

The FDA recommended upper limit for daily caffeine intake is 400 mg. A No Doz pill, which is set up for maximum effect in one dose, is 100 mg. The truck stop-tier energy pills I've encountered(something you should not consume), top out at 300 mg per pill. All of these are festooned with warnings about the dose and who shouldn't use them, cautions, etc. A large cup of the Panera product, which had no warning labels, and was available next to the other noncaffeinated drinks in a soda fountain format, was 380 mg in 30 ounce cup. For comparison, 30 ounces of mountain dew is about 137 mg of caffeine. Even Bawls would only have about 300 mg in the equivalent amount. It's clear they formulated it to just below what they interpreted as the FDA legal limit and did no other research. There's other layers of issue involved such as the use of caffeine supposedly derived from botanical extracts, too.

Panera's got a lot of other lovely marketing practices involving food and nutrition, but most of them aren't directly fatal like this. Hopefully the family takes them to the cleaners.

Somewhere, Ryback wonders if he can get in on this lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I wish I was able to try it with some alcohol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I wish I was able to try it with some alcohol

You missed the boat with four loko; a somewhat similar process occurred, though I think that was all or mostly FDA.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh I don't remember 4 loko with the fondest memories.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh I don't remember 4 loko well

If you do, you did it wrong

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
just throw some vodka on any of the 300mg caffeine energy drinks and you got 4 loko... bucked up, bang, reign, rockstar.. etc

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I got a case of Bawls a few months ago, 50/50 classic and ginger.

They both went very well with white rum.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Borg is the new hotness

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One of the service industry habits I've carried into my new job (alongside saying 'behind' and asking coworkers if it's cool to go to lunch like a chump) is drinking sugar-free Monsters. I'm up to two a day now.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Animal-Mother posted:

Somewhere, Ryback wonders if he can get in on this lawsuit.

He can't read the article and you know it

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

One of the service industry habits I've carried into my new job (alongside saying 'behind' and asking coworkers if it's cool to go to lunch like a chump) is drinking sugar-free Monsters. I'm up to two a day now.
I envy you - I can't even drink energy drinks at work any more. They give me mad anxiety a couple of hours later. It's like a panic attack in a can for me.

I wish I liked the taste of coffee. :(

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I wish coffee didn't give me acid reflux.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
When I last worked in a kitchen in 2015, I was using caffeinated pre-workout to function. IIRC I topped out at 1000+mg/day. I threw that poo poo away after I had a panic attack, called an ambulance, and had to spend ten minutes convincing the paramedics that no, I had not in fact taken amphetamines.

ogarza posted:

just throw some vodka on any of the 300mg caffeine energy drinks and you got 4 loko... bucked up, bang, reign, rockstar.. etc

This is exactly why my current employer makes a point to not stock any energy drinks. When you're doing a five-hour open bar that's just asking for Problems.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have two cooks out with COVID please someone shoot me

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

angerbot posted:

please someone shoot me

straight to the prep table, thanks for being a team player!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I did a salad but I hope people like radishes

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Deathslinger posted:

I envy you - I can't even drink energy drinks at work any more. They give me mad anxiety a couple of hours later. It's like a panic attack in a can for me.

I wish I liked the taste of coffee. :(

Cold brew tea isn't as bitter but can get fairly high in caffiene. Toss it together before you punch out and it's ready by tomorrow's shitshow.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

angerbot posted:

I did a salad but I hope people like radishes

no sorry we have a whole party that is allergic to anything other than hand picked organic dandelion greens tossed in unobtanium dressing, you're gonna have to run to the store

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My friend's bar is having a private holiday potluck tonight, so last night I made like five pounds of hummus. Borrowed a friend's food processor and very quickly realized I am still the Back Of House Guy I always was. I took up the entire kitchen, separated out the aquafaba and put all the ingredients in measuring vessels, and made batch after batch which I messily threw into litre containers. And I dropped poo poo, and yelled "gently caress" a lot, and I was drinking beer the whole time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One time I came in pretty early in the morning and the sous goes "Quieres una?"

"Una de...?"

And he goes in the meat reach-in and pulls out Modelos. His brother shoots me a look that says "Don't become that guy."

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

One time I came in pretty early in the morning and the sous goes "Quieres una?"

"Una de...?"

And he goes in the meat reach-in and pulls out Modelos. His brother shoots me a look that says "Don't become that guy."

Long time FoH here, I can attest that treats become (bad) habits so easily you barely notice...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Panera's "charged" lemonade has killed a second person- a supermarket worker with intellectual disabilities drank "three" (unclear from reporting what size, or what dose he was getting) and dropped dead of a heart attack after. If these were three larges and they're still in the original formulation, the man consumed about 1200 milligrams of caffeine. From three drinks at a soda fountain.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Panera's "charged" lemonade has killed a second person- a supermarket worker with intellectual disabilities drank "three" (unclear from reporting what size, or what dose he was getting) and dropped dead of a heart attack after. If these were three larges and they're still in the original formulation, the man consumed about 1200 milligrams of caffeine. From three drinks at a soda fountain.

sounds like we know how their entire executive should be executive'd

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

bloody ghost titty posted:

Long time FoH here, I can attest that treats become (bad) habits so easily you barely notice...

One time a chef told me "poo poo, if we fired all the alcoholics, we'd lose half our guys."

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Animal-Mother posted:

One time a chef told me "poo poo, if we fired all the alcoholics, we'd lose half our guys."

And if you fired all the stoners too, that would be the other half.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Animal-Mother posted:

loving lol at it only being half.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Air Skwirl posted:

No kidding, was this in Utah?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Air Skwirl posted:

I knew he was way off when he said it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

one of the servers has launched an official complaint against our kitchen manager. this guy straight sucks but i think the most egregious complaints from FOH is he's only nice to you if he's trying to actively sleep with you, which excludes all the women over 28 or so, all the men, and anyone who has turned him down. if he doesn't want to gently caress you or you haven't been trying to pretend like you want to gently caress him, he will deliberately ignore you, push you, or in my case, lock me outside in the rain while having a smoke. poo poo like that.

for me personally, i was in a meeting once with the head hostess (who has known him for years and who he is inexplicably scared of) and he said something to the effect of, "if i don't like someone here i go out of my way to make them quit," so i know he's aware of how he's behaving. the reason i haven't brought anything up is because a) i know people have said something before by themselves and been retaliated against and b) the last time i reported a manager at a different bar for sex pestery i was also retaliated against.

it'll be interesting to see if anything comes from this but i honestly loving doubt it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We are closed for Christmas break. We have a few days to do a deep clean. A chef made breakfast for us today. I told him, "Comemos como reyes gracias a ti, mi jefe." We both almost cried.

Later one of the other dining halls is making lunch for everybody. Unionized college dining hall work, it's not half-bad. If I have a heart attack and die today, I die happy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Staff appreciation meal:

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I’ve been working as a sous chef at a gold mine camp for over a year now and I miss restaurant life. Batch cooking will never take the rush of to-order.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

virinvictus posted:

gold mine camp

:eyepop: What?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mining and lumber camps have their own kitchens and the people working in the industry side get meals made in them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Okay sure, but lets get some stories, that sounds cool af

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Work aspect:

- we feed anywhere from 1200-2000 people a day.
- im the night sous for 14 days at a time, 12 hour shifts. I have a kitchen of about 24 people. Exec chef only works during the day. I used to do 18 days at a time with 10 days off as a first cook but sous chef was more mentally taxing so I dropped to 14 on 14 off.

Downsides:

- quality of cooks we get are pretty low. I don’t mean this offensively, but a lot of crackheads and speed addicts. I thought restaurant kitchens were bad, but we had a baker who also sold blow making four times his work cheque every 14 days. Mine is under construction so we have a lot of different industries in here.
- the chefs and first cooks (the protein cooks) are usually really good… the second cooks (veg and starch) and third cooks (packaging, sandwich making, and salads) tend to be first timers with very little food experience.

Honestly, night shift work is easy cuz menu doesn’t vary that much. Guys want their ham or bologna, sausage, scrambled eggs, and custom to order omelettes. Day shift menu changes daily aside from specialty days (taco Tuesday, pasta Sunday, prime rib on Sundays, fresh steaks on Wednesdays (we used to hand carve our steaks but they started focusing on the budget (we spend $250-300k on food a week) and now we have steaks packaged in fives at a lower quality).

There’s a lot of sex (housekeepers and cooks tend to sleep with each other) and drugs. A lot of violence.

So, I mean… fun.

The paycheques are also really nice. I make two times what I made as a manager and I still have zero education outside of working at restaurants for the last 20 years after dropping out of high school.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
drat. Western Canada?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's also a thing for paramedics to work up there at camps or on oil rigs and there's equally as much sex and drugs.

There are 'clean' camps but they're also full of drugs.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

bloody ghost titty posted:

drat. Western Canada?

Northern Ontario. It’s basically made up of mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Northern Ontario. It’s basically made up of mines.

Mines and insects.