Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
And he and BrownThunder still have threads here on SA.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of keys, I bought one from Brown Thunder a few weeks ago for my VM copy of Win11, but I’ve now changed the environment it’s in and the new install contains Win11 activation so I pulled the key and activated through that. Is there still any kind of ‘hardware check’ like there used to be back years ago if I use that key on another machine in the future? Just planning on keeping it in my back pocket until I have a use for it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speaking of keys, I bought one from Brown Thunder a few weeks ago for my VM copy of Win11, but I’ve now changed the environment it’s in and the new install contains Win11 activation so I pulled the key and activated through that. Is there still any kind of ‘hardware check’ like there used to be back years ago if I use that key on another machine in the future? Just planning on keeping it in my back pocket until I have a use for it.

It still is tied to the hardware, so activation can be slightly more complicated. As I recall though, there was an option for a hardware change in the activation wizard, so nothing too painful.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Recently the "Sort by > Date Modified" option seems to have been removed from the right-click menu in Windows Explorer, but it's still an option in the button at the top of the pane. That's fine, but I also find that there's no option to sort folders by date modified when saving a file in an app, or selecting a file when prompted by a browser. Does anyone know a way to sort folders this way in those cases? "Date" isn't a good option because it takes like 20 seconds to sort a large folder (like pictures) every time you have to choose a file.

Dariusz2k
Dec 11, 2006

This pretty much sums up my experience with Windows 11:

That's on a fresh reboot too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I might be misunderstanding, but in details view you can generally add the column with modified date back and sort by clicking its header. Just right click any column header, select which column to add, then click the header for alternating between ascending/descending.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Dariusz2k posted:

This isn't a problem and is a symptom of how Windows manages memory This is a good strategy for the OS. If you would boot with 16GBs of memory, Windows will probably consume 8~GB

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I get angry when my computer uses the RAM I put in there to make my computing experience faster.

I've resorted to just keeping a pile of DIMMs on my desk so I never have to worry about running out of unused memory. If I ever feel stressed, I just look at the pile. It's right there.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but in details view you can generally add the column with modified date back and sort by clicking its header. Just right click any column header, select which column to add, then click the header for alternating between ascending/descending.

This is the Pictures folder, which uses a Large icons view. But I was able to change the view to detailed, then sort by that column, then change it back to icons and it's sorted correctly. Weird workaround, but I'll take it, thanks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nitsuga posted:

It still is tied to the hardware, so activation can be slightly more complicated. As I recall though, there was an option for a hardware change in the activation wizard, so nothing too painful.

Thanks, it’ll probably never end up being used but good to know.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just have 128GB of ram personally

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dariusz2k posted:

lmao

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dariusz2k posted:

My system has been up for 6 days.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A friend and I were talking about this phenomenon recently. When Linux idles, it idles and doesn't do anything. When Windows idles, there's all kinds of bullshit running in the background that can make your computer chug even if it's a powerful system.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

When Linux idles, it idles and doesn't do anything.

systemd has entered the chat

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
When your RAM gets full just pop the full stick out and put an empty one in.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Korean Boomhauer posted:

When your RAM gets full just pop the full stick out and put an empty one in.

Hot Swap RAM Slot

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This isn't a problem and is a symptom of how Windows manages memory This is a good strategy for the OS. If you would boot with 16GBs of memory, Windows will probably consume 8~GB

Huh, I always wondered about that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, looking at utilization without consideration for caching and the other stuff windows does is useless.

I have AIX systems with 32gb used by filesystem cache all the time.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

A friend and I were talking about this phenomenon recently. When Linux idles, it idles and doesn't do anything. When Windows idles, there's all kinds of bullshit running in the background that can make your computer chug even if it's a powerful system.

It's true, there's whole departments at Microsoft that absolutely hate letting the CPU go into idle state, so they're just constantly coming up with all kinds of bullshit to do instead. Sometimes I pop open Task Manager and there's a process running that Microsoft put there that's just sitting there creating animated GIFs of oranges rolling down stairs. Even on my powerful system, it just can't keep up with all the oranges it has to chug out. Nobody even sees the GIFs, but I feel a lot better at night knowing that they're there.

You better believe that Linux doesn't have any oranges.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Programmer Nwabudike Morgan posted:

RAM exists to be consumed. And consumed it will be, if not by this process then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill."

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Remember when some guy sped up gta online loading by 70% because he found the it was loading a 10MB json file and parsing and deduping it using the slowest algorithms imaginable. I'm pretty sure that's what windows is doing all the time with the registry.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ziasquinn posted:

I just have 128GB of ram personally

Upgrading to 64GB when I recently got a new computer built has got to be one of the comfiest things (tied with the 7800x3d). I'm currently transcoding, have multiple Chrome, Edge & Firefox windows open, am watching streams and playing games and I'm sitting at around 50% ram usage. Just not having to worry about it anymore is like going back a decade to Win 7 Pro and dropping 32GB in your system.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, looking at utilization without consideration for caching and the other stuff windows does is useless.

I have AIX systems with 32gb used by filesystem cache all the time.

windows actually excludes cache from the main utilization number shown in task manager

right now mine shows 9GB used, but in the more detailed breakdown it's 9GB used and 10GB cached

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have 230MB of RAM "free" out of 16GB, which is good because I don't buy RAM for it to sit empty. And yeah, half of it is stuff windows doesn't need but is keeping and getting ready to empty as soon as RAM is required.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

NotNut posted:

This is the Pictures folder, which uses a Large icons view. But I was able to change the view to detailed, then sort by that column, then change it back to icons and it's sorted correctly. Weird workaround, but I'll take it, thanks.
Looking at it now instead of going by memory, and it seems to add sort by date modified to the right click menu when you've done that even if you go back to large icons and also it seems to store this somewhere per application. Like I can cancel out of the save modal, close paint, open it back up, select save as and it remembers that I added the column to the pictures folder previously? I've not found yet if it resets at some point. Could actually be workable if it doesn't reset too often.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

biznatchio posted:

It's true, there's whole departments at Microsoft that absolutely hate letting the CPU go into idle state, so they're just constantly coming up with all kinds of bullshit to do instead. Sometimes I pop open Task Manager and there's a process running that Microsoft put there that's just sitting there creating animated GIFs of oranges rolling down stairs. Even on my powerful system, it just can't keep up with all the oranges it has to chug out. Nobody even sees the GIFs, but I feel a lot better at night knowing that they're there.

You better believe that Linux doesn't have any oranges.

Didn't say that Linux didn't have oranges, but that Windows sucks. I figured that even regular Windows users, of all people, could agree on that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Didn't say that Linux didn't have oranges, but that Windows sucks. I figured that even regular Windows users, of all people, could agree on that.

I feel like I'm a regular Windows user, and it's... fine? Sure, maybe there are some minor things I'd change, but nothing is driving me away from the OS.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

I read this as Windows sucks from biznatchio too

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I switched off Windows as my daily driver for a year and used Linux. Not really as a challenge, but mostly cause I was just bored and wanted to learn more.

great experience, would recommend, extremely annoying at times, but fun! but my brain is broken and I can only take this kinda thing seriously when I have no backup or alternative.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hooah posted:

I feel like I'm a regular Windows user, and it's... fine? Sure, maybe there are some minor things I'd change, but nothing is driving me away from the OS.

Windows has a thousand minor annoyances that I think most people learn to just deal with, work around, or accept as how things have to work. It’s a serviceable OS and it’s what most software runs on, so if the minor annoyances don’t add up to being a huge issue for someone then it’s fine. Accidentally activating copilot and finding out that I can’t disable it even on a Pro license was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me, personally, though. I’m in the process of converting to a Mac Mini as my main general use system and relegating my PC to only gaming and file hosting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Branch Nvidian posted:

I’m in the process of converting to a Mac Mini as my main general use system and relegating my PC to only gaming and file hosting.

For that kind of setup, they really are the best. My 2018 Intel I upgraded to 32GB was my primary machine for everything and takes it like a champ, I can only imagine how much smoother an M class machine is. We’ve gotten to the point where old hardware just doesn’t feel old anymore, I was using a 2012 Mini for DV capture and it still felt a super capable machine for day to day stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I got six years out of a 2009 13" MacBook Pro once it had a new battery, SSD and 8GB RAM.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ziasquinn posted:

I read this as Windows sucks from biznatchio too

Not sure how you got that from my post. I specifically said I felt good about the oranges.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Or resigned to the oranges.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I love windows. it makes me feel happy inside. every day when I turn on my computer and I sit in my computer chair, I say "it's a great day to use a Microsoft Windows operating system"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm not switching away until torvalds demonstrates the ability to jump over an office chair

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

repiv posted:

i'm not switching away until torvalds demonstrates the ability to jump over an office chair

What about a simple Riker Maneuver?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Branch Nvidian posted:

Windows has a thousand minor annoyances that I think most people learn to just deal with, work around, or accept as how things have to work. It’s a serviceable OS and it’s what most software runs on, so if the minor annoyances don’t add up to being a huge issue for someone then it’s fine. Accidentally activating copilot and finding out that I can’t disable it even on a Pro license was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me, personally, though. I’m in the process of converting to a Mac Mini as my main general use system and relegating my PC to only gaming and file hosting.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
You absolutely can disable Co-Pilot just ask it how. If you want something gone in windows, there's at least a hundred youtube videos about removing it. This is windows ffs, not macos.

This reads like a r/walkaway post where the person pretends to get outraged at something that causes them to "leave their political party"