Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dunno if we have a book thread for non-leftist reading material but I've been reading the Locked Tomb series for the last couple of months (Gideon the Ninth and Harrow the Ninth) and they rule. Be gay, do necromancy, kill your coworker/work crush to get that big promotion, watch your boss and other coworkers gently caress at dinner and then try to kill each other. E: forgot give yourself brain damage to forget about your work crush.

HootTheOwl posted:

Home alone 3 is insane
1 it exists
2 it opens in hong Kong
3 it opens in hong Kong recreating that slow airplane scene from Ghost in the shell
4 it's about stealing American missiles
5 Kevin isn't in it, or his brother, the future Roman Roy
6 it loving exists at all
7 on TV no less!

This post was on the page where I left off on this thread, and I had to mention it because the ringleader from Home Alone 3 is in some Tina Fey vehicle that I remember nothing about, besides the fact that she's a college admissions counselor and this guy's delivery of the line "Virginia Woolf was a c*nt" after a heartfelt monologue by Fey. Absolutely masterful.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nix Panicus posted:

Night Watch is my absolute favorite Pratchett book

Nation is also really good if going outside the Discworld.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://youtu.be/thkFsTjM-DY?feature=shared

lmao did anyone talk about the new film the obamas produced, it looks so awful

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's like an M. Night Shyamalan movie written solely to scare liberals and with none of the artistry

in fact, compare it directly to Knock at the Cabin to see how a good director uses that premise to make a fun film with some light social commentary

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

why is that old woman flailing around like that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

why is that old woman flailing around like that
julia roberts suck rear end, and i'll stand by that hot take till i die. in a just world, she wouldn't have a fraction of the work she did, and also she'd be in prison for killing her sister

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's sam esmail's new lib garbage (like mr robot)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's literally the oj simpson "if I DID IT" book in lovely movie form

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Xaris posted:

julia roberts suck rear end, and i'll stand by that hot take till i die. in a just world, she wouldn't have a fraction of the work she did, and also she'd be in prison for killing her sister

eric roberts is overrated too but much better

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm always much more impressed by eric roberts' consistent efforts than I am by julia's

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For a moment I thought this was all in reference to Civil War 2 or whatever it's called, a movie concept that feels way beneath the A24 label but I guess you gotta pay the bills somehow. I'm still surprised that anyone had anything good to say about that trailer.

Thinking about it, the Obamas producing a movie about a shooting war on US soil would be loving hilarious but complete anathema to their brand, so I don't know where that idea came from lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
she was already popular by then but I always felt Julia Roberts was entirely carried by Susan Sarandon in Stepmom

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

she was like fourth best in steel magnolias

oh god she was like 20 when that was filmed. we're so old

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Dec 30, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Xaris posted:

was curious about this and, well, there's something there

https://web.archive.org/web/2014080...ticle-1.1609292

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

C-Euro posted:

For a moment I thought this was all in reference to Civil War 2 or whatever it's called, a movie concept that feels way beneath the A24 label but I guess you gotta pay the bills somehow. I'm still surprised that anyone had anything good to say about that trailer.

Thinking about it, the Obamas producing a movie about a shooting war on US soil would be loving hilarious but complete anathema to their brand, so I don't know where that idea came from lol

A24 was doing just fine paying the bills but their new private equity owner is demanding MAXIMUM BLOCKBUSTERS NOW and they got a major head start to that agenda by being able to bypass the WGA and SAG strikes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is a JDPON movie. 10/10 Death To Amerikkka!!!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The ending was top tier C-SPAM poo poo. You should watch it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theflyingexecutive posted:

A24 was doing just fine paying the bills but their new private equity owner is demanding MAXIMUM BLOCKBUSTERS NOW and they got a major head start to that agenda by being able to bypass the WGA and SAG strikes

They're also making Hazbin Hotel of all things

Leave The World Behind literally has Havana Syndrome as a major plot point

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

tristeham posted:

the curse is so loving good

I don't get uncomfortable over TV much but the most recent episode was hard to sit through. Great show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i think sam esmail should be banned from directing until we figure out what the hell is going on

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nichael posted:

I don't get uncomfortable over TV much but the most recent episode was hard to sit through. Great show.

I can withstand a lot of tense awkwardness, but every episode of the curse is both brilliant and exceedingly difficult to watch. the safdie/fielder combo is just too powerful

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Ok don't be mad, I know I promised to watch rebel moon baby cut (and I will! I just need more time!) but the wife overruled and we watched Barbie instead:

It was pretty good! Frequently funny, but very basic; probably about as good as Gerwig/Baumbach were capable of. Margot Robbie is of course :perfect: and it made me want to re-watch I, Tonya. America Ferrera was sorta wasted but reminded me I need to finish Superstore. Nice to see Rhea Perlman get some love. It was very satisfying to have the wife finally agree with what I've been saying Don Cherryishly since forever (breaker high > saved by the bell) - Ryan Gosling is a good :canada: kid! *stabs desk for emphasis

I'm not one of those guys who hates Will Ferrell necessarily but the whole bumbling but well meaning CEO was an awful waste of time that probably would have been better suited to giving the other Barbies' more good jokes or inter-relationship dynamics, because the Kens' really came off as funnier and more interesting; they have tensions and "real" aspirations even before the rift occurs. Strange that they get an awesome musical number whereas the Barbies only get a couple of silly quasi-diegetic songs . .

I think rewatches are gonna confirm that Noah & Ken totally steal this from Greta & Barbie. I mean consider how short lived the attempt to manipulate the Kens lasts before they're unified again! Plus how they brainwashed the Barbies into caring about the Snydercut! Even Barbie movie cannot deny: dudes rock

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That the Kens end up more campy and whimsical rather than less seems kinda the point, actually; learning to have fun and enjoy themselves in a context that doesn't depend on the attention of a Barbie. They're a bit of an odd mix of inverted sexism and also toxic masculinity, though those things aren't necessarily opposed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JagvarGames/status/1740215719223279648?t=WsOaJ1Z7OafmcClH5NV0dA&s=19a

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

dunc, furiosa, gladiator ii.

argylle maybe because i'm sick.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

🦍🦧🐵2gether💪

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
jesus christ. those are real??? who the hell wanted a remake/reboot whatever of twister. the other not-bill pullmans dead already

and.. beetlejuice 2? lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

none

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Duuuuuuuune

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
oh right, borderlands

now back to forgetting there's a borderlands movie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the gently caress is Argylle?

I guess I'll see Dunc 2, Godzilla, Furiousa, and Planet of the Apes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I wanna see Joker 2 with Lady Gaga

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'd watch a Die Hard reboot where John McClane and Argyle switch roles

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

and.. beetlejuice 2? lol

Oh I'm fuckin hype for BJ2

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They really called it Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes.

Open Source Idiom has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Dec 30, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I just went on a roller-coaster of hype before realising the new alien isn't a covenant sequel

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watching the new Percy Jackson series on my BIL's iPad while DMs from his gay lover(s?) roll in. I am, for a brief moment of time, in hell.

Yes: Dunc

Maybe: Joker, Venom, Rohirrim

I also didn't know about a grip of these, including Rohirrim.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Watching the new Percy Jackson series on my BIL's iPad while DMs from his gay lover(s?) roll in. I am, for a brief moment of time, in hell.

Yes: Dunc

Maybe: Joker, Venom, Rohirrim

I also didn't know about a grip of these, including Rohirrim.

yeah i saw it existed for the first time last night, really surprised. it probably won't be good tho

i was most surprised by Twisters but apparently they put out a teaser seven months ago

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Lmfao your brother got rizz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lfg Kraven hype mfers