Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: Plans for the Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFU3TOikR6Y
And that, unfortunately, is the end of the translated Bugle Call!

What awaits our heroes in the conquered land? Will they be able to wreck the Empire's poo poo with dazzling martial prowess and a super-powered left hook? Will Zaeed ever stop being real creepy? Find out in 2-3 months when the scanlation group releases the next chapter. Thanks for joining me on this little campaign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
The Medieval Castle (November 1945)

Aaaand that's the final page of The Medieval Castle. Kind of a downer ending, but paper rationing was over and Foster wanted to get back to doing a full-page comic.

See you in the new year! :toot:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Nearly finished the NZ, Europe and North America bird grids. Black-capped chickadee in bald eagle colours is my new favourite birb; heron-cardinal is an emissary of Dark Powers
TBF herons are pretty much that anyways, a role shared with so many other long-legged long-beaked birds that enjoy killing and consuming smaller creatures.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Squidster posted:

What awaits our heroes in the conquered land? Will they be able to wreck the Empire's poo poo with dazzling martial prowess and a super-powered left hook? Will Zaeed ever stop being real creepy? Find out in 2-3 months when the scanlation group releases the next chapter. Thanks for joining me on this little campaign!

That was fantastic, thanks for posting it!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Awww gently caress man The Bugle Call was so good! I can't wait for the next drop, poo poo!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Squidster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7V07V1rjbM

Thanks for posting Game of X-men, Squidster.

Oh hey, I have seen this scene on youtube.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 42: Woman from Nagoya
Spoilered because titty.

Political marriages suck, I guess.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 22: Yoshida, the Wizards and the Express Delivery

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to deliver mail to everyone you meet.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'd read Bugle Call a while back but the most recent chapter was new to me. Thanks again for posting it!

Spirit Circle

"Behold, I've reconstituted the soul of a dead child into this spiritual construct!"
"What the gently caress man"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I understand the whole pet rock craze now, those things are adorable!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWpZ-Y_KvU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I understand the whole pet rock craze now, those things are adorable!

holy poo poo your av

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

holy poo poo your av

I got gifted it in the Friday forum, I love it :craboot:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Squidster posted:

so uh, was it zoe or the mirror ramus who was raised in a society where all the women worked as prostitutes? because i got a real bad feeling when she said she asked if she could "work" on the side, and that it was only ok if she "did it with lucas".

in either case, judging by the other ramus' reactions, everyone thinks lucas is going to gently caress a 9-year-old. :whitewater:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got gifted it in the Friday forum, I love it :craboot:

It's a Christmas and/or Friday miracle!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Raluek posted:

so uh, was it zoe or the mirror ramus who was raised in a society where all the women worked as prostitutes? because i got a real bad feeling when she said she asked if she could "work" on the side, and that it was only ok if she "did it with lucas".
That was whatever godforsaken hell island the Mirror Ramus was born on; Zoe wanted to be an artisan, a toy maker, a florist, or a baker.

I think it's worth noting that it's only Zaaed who's suggesting that gross outcome, and he seems to have really unhealthy views about women.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Squidster posted:

That was whatever godforsaken hell island the Mirror Ramus was born on; Zoe wanted to be an artisan, a toy maker, a florist, or a baker.

I think it's worth noting that it's only Zaaed who's suggesting that gross outcome, and he seems to have really unhealthy views about women.

ah thank christ. i didnt remember the details well enough, just that it had happened at some point to someone. im much happier to condemn zaaed rather than the entire cast.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

I am obligated to mention here, for you and for anybody else who thinks similarly, that you can make xiaolong bao at home! It is probably the same amount of work that you think it is (a lot) but it is way less hard than you probably think it is (it is not actually very hard at all). You can get everything you need with a trip to a grocery store with a really well-stocked butcher, or any decent asian grocery store, and you'll make the broth the day beforehand because it needs to boil for a long time and then chill overnight, but fundamentally it's "make a really rich broth with lots of collagen from boiling neck bones (easy, takes a long time), chill the broth into jello (easy, takes a long time), make the filling (easy), make the wrappers (mostly easy once you get the hang of rolling them out thin), add a mix of filling and broth jello to the wrapper and fold (can be a little tricky the first few times, then you get the hang of it) and then steam the ones you want to eat (easy, especially if you have a bamboo steamer)".

If you do it with two or more people, you have some people rolling out wrappers and some people stuffing and it goes pretty fast! Once you've put that much time into making broth, you just make filling for like a hundred or two hundred xlb, then you eat, i dunno, anywhere between ten to a hundred of them in a sitting and freeze the rest, and then whenever you're at home thinking "man i want dinner but i aint wanna cook anything or even leave the house at all" you just pull out some of your frozen xlb and steam them up because you now live in a world in which you're never more than like fifteen minutes away from having xlb to eat. It's a beautiful world to be in, and I promise you can do it!

It's an interesting thought, but for now I'm going to go out and buy some frozen dumplings and a steamer basket maybe.

Owl at Home posted:

The Medieval Castle (November 1945)

Aaaand that's the final page of The Medieval Castle. Kind of a downer ending, but paper rationing was over and Foster wanted to get back to doing a full-page comic.

See you in the new year! :toot:

Meant to say earlier, thanks for posting Medieval Castle! It was a bit more subdued than the usual Prince Valiant but I liked that more grounded vibe. Also liked Foster taking less of the piss with the historicity as compared to the main line, no big horned Vikings or actual Roman legionaries, etc.

Speaking of which, youtube suggested this to me this morning and it feels relevant: did you know there's a group of people building a castle in France with only medieval materials and techniques?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk9v3m7Slv8

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Raluek posted:

ah thank christ. i didnt remember the details well enough, just that it had happened at some point to someone. im much happier to condemn zaaed rather than the entire cast.
It's definitely uncomfortable material and I hope to god it doesn't go to a weird place! I do have some faith in the creative team, given how carefully the female cast has been handled. There's no male-gaze pinup posing, and we've seen the lion's share of bare skin from our dude cast. There's definitely more sexual assault in the background world-building than I'd like, but at least it's never directly depicted or glamorized.

In conclusion Bugle Call is a land of contrasts that better not get weird or I'll be real mad

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I couldn't help but read ahead on Bugle Call like a month ago but I will reiterate something I said earlier, if anything bad happens to Zoe (including her and ryuka actually getting together) I will scream loud enough to shatter the eardrums of both the author and artist

Sweetness And Lightning

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I couldn't help but read ahead on Bugle Call like a month ago but I will reiterate something I said earlier, if anything bad happens to Zoe (including her and ryuka actually getting together) I will scream loud enough to shatter the eardrums of both the author and artist

Sweetness And Lightning

haus of decline spotted

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Raluek posted:

haus of decline spotted

Now that would be a fearful combination.

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 12: Secret Ingredient

Ready, set...

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Sweetness And Lightning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33yjIcB7Ebs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

"Behold, I've reconstituted the soul of a dead child into this spiritual construct!"
"What the gently caress man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rek1TzX2vw&t=14s

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

I went to go find this moment in the anime and discovered that 1) This festival trip was actually mashed together with another chapter in the anime so it doesn't exist and 2) Sweetness and Lightning's anime disappeared from all US streaming sites a few months ago apparently and now i'm mad about licensing

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Time for the finale, so longer post than usual!
GREAT
by Ryan Armand

Thank you for reading!
Some notes:
- I really like pieces of media where you get a strong sense of things happening on a long timescale and there being a long distance between the start and the end, and I think GREAT does a good job at that. Lyle and his family did a lot of stuff and have a lot of memories for it.
- Relatedly to the above, I said it before but I really like how Lyle and Yukiko are allowed to be just an aging couple for most of the comic. It feels refreshing.
- It's an odd comic. Lyle realized his dreams of greatness by... repeatedly failing to be a great ramen chef, ignoring things he seemed to be truly great at, being supernaturally good at beating people up with a bar stool, and also by having a loving marriage with a person who happened to be supernaturally good at ramen-cooking. I doubt the comic was meant to have a serious morale of "this is how you live life to the fullest" and it feels like Lyle owning a tiny ramen shop in a park somewhere as his ultimate victory pokes fun at that too, but it's still a bit odd.
- Yukiko remained the best character and I wish Lyle had done a bit more apologizing to her over his disappearance. Back when I read the comic the first time I was left with the impression that she was way more disappointed in him even earlier, but I think I prefer her being ultimately supportive but exasperated by his ramen obsession, and having her own life while occasionally stopping to see Lyle at the park.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Great was a goddamn ride, thanks for posting it. I found the opening phases to be utterly miserable, and the gnawing fear of that total nadir of existence haunted me well after Lyle managed to get off the streets. The thing that let me make peace of Great was that after that point things got a bit more cartoonish, more surreal with the silly numbered gangs and cocaine-ramen (if that element was already in there I didn't notice because I had been reading Great through a gap between my fingers, my head turned to one side).

I feel satisfied with this ending. It feels like Lyle has finally found some peace and comfort from the insecurity that has chased him into delusion so much in his life.

Yukiko is too good for him though.

Ok maybe that's harsh, he was an ok dad when Barnie was still small, before he got a bug up his rear end about Mr Phipp's Ramen.

Ok I'm done.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Emzedoh posted:

Great was a goddamn ride, thanks for posting it.

Everything i was going to say was better said here, so just piling on with the thanks! Learned to love this one over time.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Great was a fun ride, I enjoyed it going in no specific direction and jumping from one thing to the next.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah. I think the opening chapters of Great make more sense in retrospect -- when you realize that the comic is kinda depicting Lyle's experience of the world, which isn't meant to be taken entirely seriously.

If Great has a "message" or a "moral" (which it doesn't necessarily), it's this: Aspiring to capital-G Greatness is pretty silly, but the lives you intersect with along the way are everything. Lyle has an exceptionally good life in the end, and there's a touch of sadness in that he doesn't quite realize it. I suppose for some people that aspiration is the only thing that keeps them together long enough to reach the fulfilling middle-parts of life, and even if they can't appreciate them it's probably better than never having them.

For me, internalizing that life is everything that happens on the way instead of merely some random goal, helped me handle it way better than I was probably going to otherwise, and I honestly think this comic was a small-but-meaningful contributor towards that, back in the day. That kind of personal connection might have made me a little defensive of it in this thread, and I apologize for that. It's been really interesting to see the varied reactions to Great's odd vibes, and I hope I didn't push any of them away. I'll say that Ryan Armand definitely has a thing about drawing people as weirdly sweaty when they're anxious or excited.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Dec 30, 2023

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

If Great has a "message" or a "moral" (which it doesn't necessarily), it's this: Aspiring to capital-G Greatness is pretty silly, but the lives you intersect with along the way are everything. Lyle has an exceptionally good life in the end, and there's a touch of sadness in that he doesn't quite realize it. I suppose for some people that aspiration is the only thing that keeps them together long enough to reach the fulfilling middle-parts of life, and even if they can't appreciate them it's probably better than never having them.

This is a very nice way of looking at it, thank you for putting it into words! I guess these thoughts tie to the "showing the distance between then and now" aspect I enjoyed - while cartoonish and overexaggerated, the comic spends time showing how the progression between the start and the end is where the Good Stuff is.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Great was good.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah. I think the opening chapters of Great make more sense in retrospect -- when you realize that the comic is kinda depicting Lyle's experience of the world, which isn't meant to be taken entirely seriously.

For me, internalizing that life is everything that happens on the way instead of merely some random goal, helped me handle it way better than I was probably going to otherwise, and I honestly think this comic was a small-but-meaningful contributor towards that, back in the day. That kind of personal connection might have made me a little defensive of it in this thread, and I apologize for that. It's been really interesting to see the varied reactions to Great's odd vibes, and I hope I didn't push any of them away. I'll say that Ryan Armand definitely has a thing about drawing people as weirdly sweaty when they're anxious or excited.

I think that's a pretty fair read - my first thought was that its message was that Lyle Phipps is thick as poo poo, but I like yours better.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I think in the end... I am okay with Great.

It was... good. I'll pay for it tomorrow.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't really have any strong feelings about Great

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hmm. If I'd seen GREAT anywhere but this thread, I'd have ignored it. Each panel looks like it was drawn with a dying biro on cheap shiny paper and everyone has weird childlike proportions. The first... half?... had an incredibly offputting Zen Pencils vibe of "tragically boring person with no virtues whatsoever meets challenges with ultraviolence." That said, it often managed to be weirdly compelling, and I found myself reading it by the end.
I stopped hating GREAT when I gave up on working out what it's trying to "say." It's just the directionless chaos of a human's life, viewed through the lens of their various obsessions. It's an interesting experiment and I'm glad it exists; but I could never be a fan of it the way I love Nedroid or Spirit Circle or The Far Side.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

don't really have any strong feelings about Great

They should call it OKAY

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I think it might be nonsense but I'm still not sure.

I think the same about minus.

It was like someone recounting a dream, but like a real dream, a kinda boring dream. One of those that keeps coming back to the same place and theme inexplicably. Dreamlike asides where you take a break from the main dream plot to sort out the dream logic of whatever weird thing is directly in front of you before you're back at the original scenario and it just continues until you wake up with no resolution.

Then you try to tell someone and they say "don't tell people your dreams, it's famously boring". But I dunno, I like hearing about other peoples boring dreams and I liked Great.

e: but it definitely made absolutely no sense as a narrative. When hempuli posted that there was only one update left I thought what the gently caress how

Fagtastic has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Dec 30, 2023

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tried reading some pages of great here and there but it never held my attention so I got no comment on it but thanks for posting comics anyway seems like people mostly enjoyed it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah it was at least visually distinct from the sea of manga

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah it was at least visually distinct from the sea of manga

:(:hf::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Zen pencils apparently ended in 2018 and I like to think the response to his miyazaki comic made him quit