Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

;-* :egosoft:

Danke. Ich bin ein Idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've gone through a bunch of newspapers from the summer of 1963 recently and wouldn't you know it, it was already a complaint back then.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tevery Best posted:

I've gone through a bunch of newspapers from the summer of 1963 recently and wouldn't you know it, it was already a complaint back then.

Mokotow being an idiot? :wow:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It is quite a low ranking district of Warsaw after all

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It's the only district of Warsaw that I like at all. Unless Kabaty is part of the city proper.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kabaty are a part of Ursynow, so Warsaw proper.

Also, :tutbutt:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
In Croatia we do the opposite: in winter when everybody has a sore throat, cold, flu, corona, whatever, the bars add ice cubes to every drink, including tap water.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A new history textbook dropped in Russia. According to this book, Trump lost the election due to fraud by the Democrats. The book also mentions Biden and his son have business dealings with Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/marcbennetts1/status/1739414300119208076

Here's a picture of the book's cover.

https://twitter.com/k_sonin/status/1739572585929613421

The new book also includes a passage about the Cold War. It ended thanks to Gorbachev unilaterally making concessions with the West.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Honestly little surprises me about the neo-Soviet Union/Imperial Russia anymore. I've been told I'm biased and I am but I also haven't been wrong yet. I'll grant individuals in that country doing good. Even its institutions occasionally; but, like Donald Trump himself, I'll suspect some angle that wasn't making the world a better place for everyone or even their own people.

e: Also lol. Grade 11? Shouldn't history be more nuanced by that point? As my own eleventh grade history teacher would say when people complained there were no clear answers in the textbook for the upcoming exam, if there were that'd be a [word that's hard to translate but basically means one-off facts like dates of events] class not a history class. Even after 911 US textbooks didn't just state 'September 11th happened because those people over there hate freedom'.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 28, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bright Bart posted:

if there were that'd be a [word that's hard to translate but basically means one-off facts like dates of events] class not a history class

Man yeah that's history classes in Poland so it might be related

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bright Bart posted:

e: Also lol. Grade 11? Shouldn't history be more nuanced by that point? As my own eleventh grade history teacher would say when people complained there were no clear answers in the textbook for the upcoming exam, if there were that'd be a [word that's hard to translate but basically means one-off facts like dates of events] class not a history class. Even after 911 US textbooks didn't just state 'September 11th happened because those people over there hate freedom'.
Uhh not if you don't care about teaching and just need to justify murdering Ukrainians

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://media.ccc.de/v/37c3-12142-breaking_drm_in_polish_trains

:catstare:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah it was a big thing in Polish news over the last two weeks. Gist of it is a Polish passenger train manufacturer apparently introduced code to its trains that would render them broken on certain dates or conditions, like being in a depot of competing train maintenance company - sone real robber baron poo poo.

This was discovered by dudes from a hacking collective who say they can’t fix it without risking getting indicted for hacking, the train manufacturer insisting the code is malicious and was probably put there by the very people who now claim to have found it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Bright Bart posted:

[word that's hard to translate but basically means one-off facts like dates of events]
:eng101:

Factoid - a brief or trivial item of news or information

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thanks and kinda!

The word in English has hist- in it and doesn't have the connotation of being unreliable or only fact-like but not a fact. Where historiography would be the more meta approach to how the discipline of history is conducted or history determined, this is a step lower from history like the building block of history. e.g. 'There are burial mounds containing broken weapons and shattered glass vessels in X, Y, and Z places dating from the La Tène culture' would be hist-... , whereas 'The La Téne culture had burial customs with special attention to the warrior class at least some of whom were buried in barrows alongside their possessions which were purposely broken possibly to deter graverobbers' would be history.

e: I just made this up about La Téne culture btw, although it probably applies to some pre-historic European culture.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 30, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

Factoid is a piece of information that is commonly spread and believed to be true, but is actually wrong. The name factoid itself is constructed to allude to something that approximates a fact, but isn't. Your definition of factoid is a factoid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

Factoid is a piece of information that is commonly spread and believed to be true, but is actually wrong. The name factoid itself is constructed to allude to something that approximates a fact, but isn't. Your definition of factoid is a factoid.

Nah, the word just has more than one meaning these days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nah, the word just has more than one meaning these days.

I won't stand for it, it makes me nonplussed

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The big debate in English the past few years was about a word that escapes me right now but officially meant something like sparkling beautifully in the sunlight and was used that way in poetry and literature until a decade or so ago when people used it to mean generally sinister as the word itself sounds/looks somewhat unpleasant.

It wasn't a slow evolution or even a 'I could care less' mix-up.

The new use was added to a bunch of dictionaries after much heated argument.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 31, 2023

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bright Bart posted:

The big debate in English the past few years was about a word that escapes me right now but officially meant sparkling beautifully in the sunlight and was used that way in poetry and literature until a decade or so ago when people used it to mean generally sinister as the word itself sounds/looks somewhat unpleasant.

It wasn't a slow evolution or even a 'I could care less' mix-up.

The new use was added to a bunch of doctionaries after much healed argument.

This must have passed me by, but English has loads of words that carry double meanings of “bright” and “bad” (flashy, glaring, gaudy, garish, brazen, lurid) so it doesn’t seem out there for English speakers to apply that double meaning to a word for “sparkling in the sunlight” if the word sounds bad.

I’ve heard scintillating used to describe the feeling of having pins and needles or other uncomfortable tingling by analogy to the meaning “sparkling”, but I don’t think I’ve seen that in any dictionaries yet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently it's "coruscate"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Well, I guess we are finally seeing the end result of PiS building parallel legal structures and a full blown constitutional crisis is kicking off.

Kaminski and Wasik, two PiS parliamentarians, are in the middle of the latest crisis. Both were exonerated by president Duda for entrapment of Andrzej Leper, a populist rural politician who ultimately committed suicide some ten years ago. Kaminski and Wasik ran the police special services at the time and used their power to go after the PiS political enemies. Despite having a law PhD, Duda made a crucial mistake and used his exoneration powers before the court ruling finding Kaminski and Wasik guilty came into force. The ruling was thus suspended for many years, until a few months ago, when it was decided the court should go ahead and file its ruling, making it legal. Experts mostly agree Duda's exoneration is null and void because the court ruling was not in place at the time it was made.

This leads to the situation we are in now - when the ruling became law, Kaminski and Wasik were members in the current parliament, and the ruling makes their Sejm membership null and void. Legal experts say this is automatic, but other would like to see a High Court ruling, and the High Court is deeply split between pro-PiS neo-judges and the "old" judges. The battle lines run between different High Court departments, who are now in a tug of war over who gets to rule on this issue. It can also go to the Constitutional Tribunal, and we all know the mess that place is. As it stands now, both Kaminski and Wasik should theoretically be arrested (this hasn't happened) and be stripped of their Sejm membership (in progress, their access cards have been turned off apparently but the next Sejm sitting is on January 10th - fully expecting a brawl at the Sejm doors).

That's just a tip of the legal iceberg. The whole place is a mess, with the public media still being split and having some of the building occupied by PiS politicians.

steinrokkan posted:

Apparently it's "coruscate"

Na zdrowie

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rom-prosecution

Wait, you can just do that???

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Technically yes but really no c.f. Nazarbayev in Kazakhstan.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Der Spiegel English has a story about how Austria is considering axing a work program where anyone willing to work can go through an assisted job search and if they don't find anything gets guaranteed employment provided through the agency at I believe minimum 25 hours a week minimum wage. Some are speculating that it's to benefit private unemployment services who take money from the state to do things like send out of work secretaries to endless 'computing basics' training or laid-off textile workers to management courses they provide. But I think the main suspect suggested is simply ideology: the government shouldn't provide jobs, and as many services as possible (even providing services to the unemployed from state monies) should be privatized.

500+ (now 800+) in Poland is flawed and was brought in to make parents vote against their overall best interest. But that shouldn't dissuade us from helping others in future.

Also, this is only one of several reasons why I think Austria should be included when we talk about Eastern Europe.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
When I become a dictator the first thing I do is write a law that forbids guillotining, hanging or shooting retired dictators.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fun day! Two convicted parliamentarians are hiding out in the presidential palace from the police staking out all the entrances. Gazeta.pl has a running blog titled “Are Kaminski and Wasik in jail yet?”. Meanwhile, the Wednesday Sejm sitting is postponed so that Kaminski and Wasik won’t have an opportunity to come into the Sejm chambers and record being forcibly blocked (they can access the Sejm as it’s a privilege for all last and present parliamentarians).

We are going head first into terra incognita and possible early elections. As the president does’t recognize the Sejm without Kaminski and Wasik, he is likely to send the yearly budget to the PiS control Constitutional Tribunal (he can’t veto it), which can strike it down, leading to early elections - IF we assume the current CT is legal.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Star over you bastards, see me give a vote.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So, early elections, what would the results of them mean:

Of course you could end up with a PiS majority this time if a number of things fell into place.

But say it's another coalition win. Are they anywhere other than step one? This time having expended a lot of good will to try (and fail) to push through reforms?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

With public media in the hands of Tusk and Co, they would likely win a more substantial share of votes, with Hołownia gaining massively from his Chad-like (laughable) image he gained from being speaker the past few months.

Left would be out of government since they took on the role of doing absolutely nothing even when in government.

pis will not retake power (this is where I’ll eat crow)

Konfederacja likely to not even get past the 5% cutoff after korwin ousting and braun antisemitism very public mask off

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 9, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I didn't really mean to focus on the likely outcome of the votes. More like, say the coalition is returned with the same or only slightly higher number of seats. They make a new budget. Unless they make concessions/appeasements (which they could also do right now) why won't the next budget be sent to tribunal?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Bright Bart posted:

I didn't really mean to focus on the likely outcome of the votes. More like, say the coalition is returned with the same or only slightly higher number of seats. They make a new budget. Unless they make concessions/appeasements (which they could also do right now) why won't the next budget be sent to tribunal?

I assume the calculus is that PiS will lose votes every cycle for being the highly-visible cause of the problems: if the actual elected coalition is able to put together a budget and the problem is the rear end in a top hat on top who doesn't have a mandate, then usually it stands to reason that anyone allied with the rear end in a top hat will keep losing.

I can't speak to whether this is true in practice in Poland, but it does seem to work that way most of the time - people don't want to vote every 3 months and will punish whatever person is making them do that usually

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So the two dudes are locked up in the presidential palace, went out for a press conference and came back inside. The cops have the presidential palace surrounded and are checking cars going in out. It's surreal. Technically the president is also making himself legally responsible for aiding and abetting, although he's currently covered by presidential immunity.

Poland again on the forefront of impossible poo poo - president sheltering two fugitives, Assange-style.

Edit: looks like Ren and Stimpy got arrested after the Police decided to go into the presidential palace

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 9, 2024

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

They 100% deserve it btw, and more. Wish Ziobro will live for the same, and a couple others.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Laurel and Hardy arrived at the prison with a bunch of PiS top politicians and Kaczynski himself in tow. They tried storming the prison gate but got unceremoniously stopped by a video doorbell and a very unimpressed prison nightshift leader who did not introduce himself, failed to recognize the parlimentarians’ right to control national institutions and basically told everyone to gently caress off as it’s past 22:00 and all inmates are asleep.

The prison is located in a middle of nowhere, literally a stretch of land between two railway sidings and no street lights. Kaczynski departed and left a bunch of his top henchmen behind who now stand in the cold and alone shouting at journalists.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Fun day! Two convicted parliamentarians are hiding out in the presidential palace from the police staking out all the entrances. Gazeta.pl has a running blog titled “Are Kaminski and Wasik in jail yet?”. Meanwhile, the Wednesday Sejm sitting is postponed so that Kaminski and Wasik won’t have an opportunity to come into the Sejm chambers and record being forcibly blocked (they can access the Sejm as it’s a privilege for all last and present parliamentarians).

We are going head first into terra incognita and possible early elections. As the president does’t recognize the Sejm without Kaminski and Wasik, he is likely to send the yearly budget to the PiS control Constitutional Tribunal (he can’t veto it), which can strike it down, leading to early elections - IF we assume the current CT is legal.

Just to clarify - there is no way for early elections. The Bugdet needs only to be presented to the President until the 29th January, and the only thing he can do is to sign it or give it to the CT. But, this has no impact on the Sejm term.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Good point, thanks. For the past few weeks there were multiple interpretations floating out there and the earlier elections variants seems to be what PiS is bringing up, but right now the judicial consensus seems to be what you’re saying.

Just watched Duda’s speech, it was mostly impotent rage. However, it’s clear they are setting up the argument that without Kaminski and Wasik, any Sejm activity will be unconstitutional.

I’m kind of surprised that filling empty Sejm seats is not an automatic process and PiS can just decline to put forward replacements.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

For some reason, the Graudian decided this is live-blog newsworthy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/jan/10/europe-live-news-migration-lesbos-greece-germany-train-strike-latest

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Out of ten what is the chance that one or both are innocent (of these charges, not overall)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

They are without a doubt responsible for the decisions leading to attempted entrapment of deputy prime minister of Poland.