Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

We can only hope there are enough cards for a full parlay deck, and a path to bullshit your way though an entire campaign.

Hastur, Bubbe, I'm your white knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SelenicMartian posted:

We can only hope there are enough cards for a full parlay deck, and a path to bullshit your way though an entire campaign.

Want a path through the new campaign where if you make the right choices all you do is just talk to a bunch of people, look around a bit, figure out what's going on, talk everyone out of doing something stupid and go home. Nobody gets killed.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Stir the Pot strikes me as a potential Preston card because I remember discovering Cunning Distraction being good for him (since he can afford it) when I did a RtTCU playthrough a while ago. Using it often resulted in a bunch of enemies building up at one location, so blowing them all up with Stir the Pot could be a useful play, and the more enemies there are the more likely it is that one of them will have enough stats to get the job done.

Orange Devil posted:

Want a path through the new campaign where if you make the right choices all you do is just talk to a bunch of people, look around a bit, figure out what's going on, talk everyone out of doing something stupid and go home. Nobody gets killed.

I too would enjoy an Arkham Horror campaign designed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Persistence is probably really good for Pete - toss it to refresh duke, play it from discard.

He can probably get decent mileage out of the pelt as well.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Survivors have a lot of ways to toss things from their hand, including Cornered.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Persistence doesn't shuffle itself back into your deck when committed from your hand, only from your discard, so you can just commit it normally to any skill test to get it into your discard. Pretty handy for Silas, he can commit it from discard and then return it to hand if he doesn't need the boost/fails regardless.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Parallel Monty: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2024/1/1/relics-of-the-past/

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Looks fun! I hope they’ll release a proper parallel card pack someday.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

He looks good but I'm not really sure why this was needed when Monty was already a drat good investigator and was released pretty recently. I feel like this should have been Ursula.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

He looks good but I'm not really sure why this was needed when Monty was already a drat good investigator and was released pretty recently. I feel like this should have been Ursula.

Agreed - perhaps they couldn't think of good Advanced cards for Ursula?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Monty with Rogue 0-3 is interesting enough. Now he can take those 3xp events that return to your hand.

Ancient Evils released a long power ranking of all investigators. I agree with most of it. Parallel Agnes has been one I've wanted to try, and they have her as S-tier.

https://derbk.com/ancientevils/the-2024-ancient-evils-comprehensive-investigator-evaluation-and-power-ranking-tierlist/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Monty with rogue cards means that you can lock pick without losing it. Pro click.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Monty with rogue cards means that you can lock pick without losing it. Pro click.

Didn't even think of that one! I'm going to get back into my custom campaign and play Parallel Agnes and Parallel Monty as my fighter/cluever respectively.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

LifeLynx posted:

Monty with Rogue 0-3 is interesting enough. Now he can take those 3xp events that return to your hand.

Ancient Evils released a long power ranking of all investigators. I agree with most of it. Parallel Agnes has been one I've wanted to try, and they have her as S-tier.

https://derbk.com/ancientevils/the-2024-ancient-evils-comprehensive-investigator-evaluation-and-power-ranking-tierlist/

I am shocked they have Patrice as one of the three worst investigators in the game. Granted I've only played with her once and it was even a bit of a gimmick Mind's Eye build but I thought she did fine in my Expert campaign, and if I wasn't trying a weird gimmick she'd probably be even better.

I feel like it wouldn't make much sense for patrice to have a normal 12-point statline given that she wheel of fortunes every turn, and I feel like the complaint about reactive cards seems... strange? Like isn't that the point of the card, that you have to use them now or toss them? Honestly I don't remember my Patrice build so I don't remember if I played them but they don't even seem that bad because you don't draw a relevant mythos card you just pitch them to skill tests anyways right, and they practically all have a ? pitch icon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ChewyLSB posted:

I am shocked they have Patrice as one of the three worst investigators in the game. Granted I've only played with her once and it was even a bit of a gimmick Mind's Eye build but I thought she did fine in my Expert campaign, and if I wasn't trying a weird gimmick she'd probably be even better.

I feel like it wouldn't make much sense for patrice to have a normal 12-point statline given that she wheel of fortunes every turn, and I feel like the complaint about reactive cards seems... strange? Like isn't that the point of the card, that you have to use them now or toss them? Honestly I don't remember my Patrice build so I don't remember if I played them but they don't even seem that bad because you don't draw a relevant mythos card you just pitch them to skill tests anyways right, and they practically all have a ? pitch icon.

Should have been an N/A, she's not their playstyle. She's not mine either, but I play two-handed solo so she loses rating just for being yet another thing my ADHD-rattled brain has to try to keep track of. She also suffers a lot in some scenarios or even campains with hidden treacheries. I hear she's one of the best true solo investigators, but I haven't played true solo in years so I can't say.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I think this is a pretty good list, nice to see some love for Marie. Sister Mary being that low saddens me but I understand it's because of the nerf to Deny Existence, which I just ignore. I've also seen a compelling video rating Jenny among the strongest in the game just based on Green Man Medallion but until I play it I can't say if it's accurate. Only Daisy making it to S out of the Seekers is surprising.

I think the big things I disagree with are Ursula and Calvin being that low. I'm not sure why people are rating Ursula low these days, a free investigate action is incredibly good! It's practically an extra clue per turn. Yeah her signature isn't great and maybe you don't want any relics but the good thing about Seeker is that you can only play Seeker cards and still have an excellent deck. She's only gotten more free movement options since release as well. Calvin is also highly underrated imo, it's very easy to keep him alive now and pump him up to 6+ in all his stats. With Scanvenging, Ice Picks and a weapon he can then just mollywhop a scenario without issue.

I'm also a weirdo who has Luke down in C tier, but that's only me. I've never seen anyone else rate him that low.

ChewyLSB posted:

I found Patrice quite mediocre when I played her tbh. She can be good but yeah if you spend your resources and then draw a key asset you're just kinda hosed and have to wait until it comes around again. It was probably not a fair example of her when I played since I was trying to use a janky Fighter deck so maybe she'd be better as a Cluevor though.

LifeLynx posted:

Should have been an N/A, she's not their playstyle. She's not mine either, but I play two-handed solo so she loses rating just for being yet another thing my ADHD-rattled brain has to try to keep track of. She also suffers a lot in some scenarios or even campains with hidden treacheries. I hear she's one of the best true solo investigators, but I haven't played true solo in years so I can't say.

I feel like sometimes the devs create an investigator and then purposefully counter them with their own campaign. Preston got screwed by Haunted punishing fail-tech. Patrice gets screwed by the hidden cards in Dream-Eaters. Trish gets screwed by engage effects in Innsmouth. Daniela got screwed by monsters adding Tekeli-li's in Edge of the Earth. And they're always the investigators I want to play, dammit!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 2, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nephthys posted:

I think this is a pretty good list, nice to see some love for Marie. Sister Mary being that low saddens me but I understand it's because of the nerf to Deny Existence, which I just ignore. I've also seen a compelling video rating Jenny among the strongest in the game just based on Green Man Medallion but until I play it I can't say if it's accurate. Only Daisy making it to S out of the Seekers is surprising.

I think the big things I disagree with are Ursula and Calvin being that low. I'm not sure why people are rating Ursula low these days, a free investigate action is incredibly good! It's practically an extra clue per turn. Yeah her signature isn't great and maybe you don't want any relics but the good thing about Seeker is that you can only play Seeker cards and still have an excellent deck. She's only gotten more free movement options since release as well. Calvin is also highly underrated imo, it's very easy to keep him alive now and pump him up to 6+ in all his stats. With Scanvenging, Ice Picks and a weapon he can then just mollywhop a scenario without issue.

I'm also a weirdo who has Luke down in C tier, but that's only me. I've never seen anyone else rate him that low.

Calvin is just a stat line. If he started as a 4/4/5/5 with 1 HP and sanity I still don't think I'd play him. Sounds boring.

Ursula is very good in two player, but scales badly when there are more clues on locations than she can pick up in a turn.

I haven't tried Jenny with GMM, but I have tried Dexter Drake with Delve too Deep, Charon's Obol, and Arcane Research. With Yorick as a partner for a free 6 or 7 XP per scenario, it was pretty busted.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I've generally found Patrice to be very solid. You get a Moonstone and a Granny Orne or Peter Sylvester (2) and slam down some mad spells. Get Charisma and Miss Doyle and your weakness ceases to be a problem. And you can dump tons of ? skills down on almost every check. She's not top tier, but she's pretty fuckin solid.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Patrice is amazing. All you need is two copies of cornered and your stat line becomes 6 in whatever you need, twice.

With the new skill card you commit from the trash, even more flexibility. And she goes through dilemmas like no one’s business; multiple times per game, you can either move all the players or get all the enemies towards you and engage them as you want.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know who wants this besides maybe Kohaku. It's a charm so Zidane can use it I guess. Other curse cards give you much better benefits, though this gives you more control over exactly how many curses you're adding.

Not a fan of how inconsistent Absolution looks to be but I think it's alright as a heal that adds a bless token or two once you've got a decent number of blesses already in there. It doesn't scale well with resources added but obviously it's worth spending for it if you really need it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
An infinite converter of 1 action into 4 resources and 3 curses seems extremely powerful to a curse synergy deck to me. I’d even be willing to entertain that 1 resource does more work than 1 curse does to harm a normal character, to a reasonable extent.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The problem is that most of the cards that want curse tokens in the bag, as opposed to mitigating the harm they do, are not Rogue cards. There's Tristan Botley, who granted is a pretty good ally, and Lucky Penny, which uses the same slot as this card. Oh, I forgot about Eye of the Djinn, which has to be what you're going for if you're using the Scrimshaw, right? I'm getting close to talking myself out of my own position.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Absolution is better because sister Mary always wants to be pairing with Olive McBride.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Calvin is just a stat line. If he started as a 4/4/5/5 with 1 HP and sanity I still don't think I'd play him. Sounds boring.

Ursula is very good in two player, but scales badly when there are more clues on locations than she can pick up in a turn.

I haven't tried Jenny with GMM, but I have tried Dexter Drake with Delve too Deep, Charon's Obol, and Arcane Research. With Yorick as a partner for a free 6 or 7 XP per scenario, it was pretty busted.

The fun with Calvin is trying to do things without a statline and building up to the full stats without killing yourself or spending too much time doing it. I found him very powerful but he still has enough inherent tension to be interesting.

A lot of things scale badly with higher clue counts, Rex and Trish are rated highly for being able to get an extra clue per turn but there isn't much difference between that and Ursulas ability. When you get enough free movement, there's no reason you have to clear a location before moving.

I'm a bit doubtful when it comes to Jenny myself, just because I struggle to buy crushing a scenario hard enough to abuse GMM when you're weighed down by her statline.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Recently put all my investigator cards in binders:

Can't wait to buy another investigator expansion and have to shift every single card over!

E:

Added images to the spines.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 5, 2024

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

sirtommygunn posted:

The problem is that most of the cards that want curse tokens in the bag, as opposed to mitigating the harm they do, are not Rogue cards.

yeah but if you're not solo this card loving owns. and if you are playing a curse build with access to lvl 0 rogue, :hellyeah:

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
looking for some recs for a good neoprene playmat. would prefer card placement outlines. i understand that the game is constantly changing and these can become obsolete but i am still in the middle of dunwich and my brain is broken in a way that requires me to buy them in a sequential order, so i am like 8 years and $600 away from that becoming a problem.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
They haven't really added any new slots since Tarot, right? Only ad-hoc stuff like footwear and masks?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

John Romero posted:

looking for some recs for a good neoprene playmat. would prefer card placement outlines. i understand that the game is constantly changing and these can become obsolete but i am still in the middle of dunwich and my brain is broken in a way that requires me to buy them in a sequential order, so i am like 8 years and $600 away from that becoming a problem.

I got some nice ones on Etsy. They're a little thin and don't have stitched edges, but they look good, aren't terribly expensive, and come in different colors.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Recently put all my investigator cards in binders:

Can't wait to buy another investigator expansion and have to shift every single card over!

Where'd you get the graphics for those binders

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Where'd you get the graphics for those binders

Backs:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2262254/85-x-11-image-use-binder-storage

Fronts:
https://mega.nz/folder/25VQjQ4Q#u5Q21VvNRLajMeV6qbQQEQ

I converted them to PDFs and printed them at work, the back ones at 23% scale and the front at 85% scale on letter-sized paper.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

They haven't really added any new slots since Tarot, right? Only ad-hoc stuff like footwear and masks?

Nothing new, but a bunch of cards that give let you treat x as y.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Absolution could be good in Carolyn. Each separate instance of healing would be resolved independently, so she or the target gets one resource per sanity healed, making the card "pay x, reveal tokens equal to x + 3, gain resources and heal sanity among investigators equal to bless tokens revealed, add 1 bless token for every non symbol token revealed." Which means she can afford to really pump this card up and likely gain most of her money back, especially in campaigns or with decks that have a lot of extra symbols on the bag.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This card gets a lot done but I think it's fair at 3XP for the Seeker pool. It's also got Joe Diamond's name written all over it.

And Vamp got an upgrade. Most Rogues could probably score two out of four, right?

Someone in the MB Discord pointed out that the parley cards don't really have any built-in stat boosts, even the high level ones, which could well be due to the existence of Fine Clothes. I think it's a pretty reasonable restriction though, given that they're now so versatile they can stand in for a lot of fight, investigate, or evade actions.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm reading it right that with upgraded vamp you could evade a non-elite enemy to move them to an adjacent location, then get a clue from that location rather than the one you're on? It seems pretty good.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm reading it right that with upgraded vamp you could evade a non-elite enemy to move them to an adjacent location, then get a clue from that location rather than the one you're on? It seems pretty good.

Also punch them in the nards on their way out.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

what’s going on with this art

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

John Romero posted:

what’s going on with this art

Herbert West has some white nonsense.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I like the art on that card a lot, I think it's cute and well composed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nebrilos posted:

What else could they add? Incense? Epaulettes? Butt plugs?