Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Lazy_Liberal posted:

it's what you oughtn't to golpe but you golpe anyway

Thank you. Glad someone beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Leftists can have little a horseshoe theory as a treat

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Aramoro posted:

It's not a fantasy restricted topic. There's a book called Shuggie Bain about a kid growing up poor and gay in Glasgow, it's a generally well liked book, won the Booker Prize etc. There's a scene in the book where Shugs sister is sexually assaulted, threatened with rape. I can't make sense of this scene in the context of the rest of novel at all. It doesn't seem to move the plot along or develop any character it just happens and is never referenced again. A lot of awful things happen in the book but that one always stood out to me and so out of place other than her being a female character nothing awful had happened to yet.

Still for Scifi and Fantasy I do always like to check if the author is a sex weird first. Especially after Altered Carbon where the worst thing that can happen to you is being put in the body of a woman and sexually tortured.

Yeah, the questions for stuff like that are always "Is the subject handled appropriately?" and "Was there a reason for it to be included?". For a lot of (male) authors/filmmakers, sexual assault is the go to solution to show that their story is Dark and Gritty and Realistic, or for tragic backstories/ disasterous consequences for the heroines. Take The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Is there any reason at all for Lisbeth to get raped by her caseworker? He had already been established as an rear end in a top hat before. Did the book really need to go into that much detail about what exactly he did to her? And was it seriously, absolutely, in any way, shape or form appropriate for the book to have the all-knowing omniscient narrator voice explain to the readers in the next scene what the appropriate actions that Lisbeth should now have taken were? In a very condescending tone? Adding that she was too emotional to consider them?

And of course, can't mention that story without pointing out that the male lead also towards the climax gets kidnapped and taken to the villain's rape dungeon. But he's saved before anything can actually happen to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least James Bond would regularly get captured and tied up in elaborate fashion in the villain's torture dungeon himself.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

tokin opposition posted:

They've never attempted a coup, stop watching fox news for libs

Anyway as a proud Democrat I call on my fellows to also not vote in the name of bipartisanship and in keeping with the decorum of this great country

you loving goober

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

They've never attempted a coup, stop watching fox news for libs

the, uh, entire coup attempt was filmed and livestreamed/broadcast live

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Man you guys get trolled pretty easily

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

...! posted:

Seriously lmfao

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
They're not mad. Stop saying they're mad

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Might want to stop throwing rocks in that glass house of yours, Laura.
https://twitter.com/caringguy1957/status/1740947734537159109?t=ScEfDwBoW4gKSQCJRdhAwg&s=19

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

...! posted:

Cults like the democrat party, must always be defended immediately and emotionally from outsiders who might try to break the indoctrination.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Didn't you get a probe and instructions to take the political posting back to D&D/CSPAM in this very topic just last month?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:psyduck: How are these people for real? Like I'm able to concede the existence of a person of color saying "Well I never had to deal with any racism in my hobby, it's the wokes that are the problem!" but it's almost too on the nose here.
https://twitter.com/Thor_Odinson/status/1740862105786482711?t=2PIK6NZ_1r8pFr-PW0NMRA&s=19

quote:

I’m a minority. I’ve been playing 40K for 30 years (and two months). And in all that time, this hobby has never, not once, “sucked” because I was a minority.

The only people bringing culture war nonsense into 40K are people like YOU. White saviors trying to feed their own narcissistic egos for virtue signal points. People who claim to be “defenders of minorities”, but who viciously attack every minority, every woman, and every member of the LBGTQ community who dare to disagree with their white saviors.

YOU are not the hobby, because the hobby is about, strangely enough… THE HOBBY. Which can mean anything from enjoying the lore to building models, kitbashing and conversions, painting, playing the game at gaming clubs or at home, arguing over which rules are broken, talking about the meta, reading Black Library novels, etc.

What it ISN’T about is the modern day political baggage which you’re trying to bring into it. And no matter how hard you try to gaslight, it’s readily apparent that you and ONLY you are the ones trying to foment a culture war in 40K. There is no political ideology on Earth which is served by keeping 40K as it is. The ONLY way to get 40K to serve a political ideology is to change it. And as you so readily admitted, you are “the change you want to see.” And you want to change it to serve YOUR political ideology. Not out of any particular care for “the hobby.”

Meanwhile, the rest of us just want to enjoy the hobby in peace.

So yes, go ahead, curate your feed. Block hard, block fast. Lock yourselves into your tiny echo chambers. Because as we’ve seen with Bits and his block list numbering in the tens of thousands, you’ll eventually end up blocking 99% of the people actually participating in the hobby, rather than play acting as political activists on Twitter. And then maybe we can finally have some peace from YOUR performative rage.

#WarhammerCommunity
How well known are people like this in the Warhammer community?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

:psyduck: How are these people for real? Like I'm able to concede the existence of a person of color saying "Well I never had to deal with any racism in my hobby, it's the wokes that are the problem!" but it's almost too on the nose here.
https://twitter.com/Thor_Odinson/status/1740862105786482711?t=2PIK6NZ_1r8pFr-PW0NMRA&s=19

The game that named the main ork villain Margaret Thatcher: never political

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Panfilo posted:

He's not well known and the guy he's referring to there bits, is just some dude who thinks there should be female space marines. Thats all this is about some people thinking there should be women in the flag ship faction in the game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There are warrior women in the Imperium.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Byzantine posted:

Are there Wario women in the Imperium though? Seems like the could still be more inclusive if not.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Are there Wario women in the Imperium though? Seems like the could still be more inclusive if not.

Yes, actually. Google "Wapeach" for more information

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Ah yes, Warhammer is totally well known for not having hosed up facists in its community, Games Workshop totally didn't tell Nazis to gently caress off in a public way after people freaked out about a black space marine in a book.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Byzantine posted:

More 👏 women 👏 servo 👏 skulls 👏👏👏🌐

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Anyway here's my apology video for posting

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Feminism means hiring more women Pinkertons, clearly.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Panfilo posted:

I guess I'm about to get real weird about this person but do we even know thor odinson is a minority? I've seen so many posts like this from white people pretending to be minorities I have to wonder. I went on their instagram and it's all pictures of models they've painted (they're really good at it) but in a few they are holding the models and they've got light skinned fingers :tinfoil:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
OK the more I dig into it the more hilarious it gets.
https://twitter.com/CerberusXt/status/1741007631685206243?t=QlgAgs1uDQJM5VzYUBu_xA&s=19
So chuds are offended at the notion of female space marines because it goes against the established lore? You know, three decades of Sci fi gobbledegook?

Related, but something I also find really funny about these idiots: there's certainly hyper atheist conservatives. Yet in spite of Facts and Logic-ing over why God doesn't exist, their ideology ends up being exactly the same as a religious fundamentalist. Words are magic, established lore is carved into stone tablets by their own (figurative) diety and this Canon is meant to be literal and unchanging. There's no room for nuance, re interpretation, subtext, nope nothing. This obscure issue of White Dwarf says Speiss Marines are all men, always have always will and only Male Feminists and perverts have an issue with it here's a flesh and blood woman who also agrees it's sexist to insist female space marines are a thing.

I guess it's just weirdly reassuring to them that they can convince themselves they have and always are on the right side of some argument they made up in their own head, and to bring in nuance to the whole thing is trying to play Calvinball with their beloved hobby.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I guess I'm about to get real weird about this person but do we even know thor odinson is a minority? I've seen so many posts like this from white people pretending to be minorities I have to wonder. I went on their instagram and it's all pictures of models they've painted (they're really good at it) but in a few they are holding the models and they've got light skinned fingers :tinfoil:

This was also my thought though in my observation their hands reinforced that they were a poc like they claimed to be. So three weird theories:

They are a person of color with chuddy views and made friends in the hobby by pushing this edgy anti woke gimmick since it lets all their peers pat themselves on the back thinking "it's actually the leftists who are the misogynist racists, not me".

They are mixed/fair skinned and "pass" as white in certain spaces and so don't have to deal with the same racist baggage other poc hobbyists might deal with in the community which kind of incentivises them to just play along to fit in.

They are just a random white guy pretending to be poc to own the libs, which has precedent on Twitter as some of these idiots accidentally outed themselves by posting under their alt by mistake in their own replies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always figured space marines were kinda like super mutants from fallout, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Doesn't matter, they have a donkey brain. Reject their bad position because it's bad, not because of paperbag tests or being cishet passing in their painted soldier pictures.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
When they did Primaris they should have cut them all off at the pass, just said the new tech works on all sexes to double the candidate pool, and carried on issuing the models with no revisions except now they call each other Comrade instead of Brother. No matter how they start Marines all end up as grotesque roided-out sexless Ken dolls - if you want to call your genetic abomination Captain Jessica Orcslayer then go with god.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, people of color can also be dumb as rocks. Case in point, moi.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Byzantine posted:

Ah yes,

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sororitas are cooler than space marines because they're just powered by being angry.

Don't need no performance enhancements, all natty hitting u with a giant chainsaw.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If I'm fantasising about going to space war all my space war bros have to be extremely buff men and there can't be any women ruining it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Why is she standing like that? That can't be comfortable.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

kazil posted:

To model her space latex armour and space battle heels

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kazil posted:

it's called fashion babe

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kazil posted:

It’s Warhammer 40k, comfort isn’t really a consideration for anyone.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Whenever I hear "Space Marine" it throws me back to middle school where we would draw these goofy little comics, and the thing we thought was hilarious was how utterly stupid "Space Force" would sound. Like, clearly when writers were coming up with Future Military, they considered Space Marines, Space Army, Space Force, Space Navy. Space Marines sounds by far the best and Space Force is just goofy. I wish I still had my Space Force cartoons but they're probably completely incomprehensible to anyone outside our giggling circle of nerds

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Panfilo posted:

Might want to stop throwing rocks in that glass house of yours, Laura.
https://twitter.com/caringguy1957/status/1740947734537159109?t=ScEfDwBoW4gKSQCJRdhAwg&s=19

Trans-including radical lesbophobia

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I get strong vibes of this

Probably due to the Thor Odinson handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dewgy posted:

It’s Warhammer 40k, comfort isn’t really a consideration for anyone.

If i was a warhammer I would simply join the army with the comfy clothes