Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
they don't even pretend you'll break even in the ad, since it'll be mining a few dollars a month tops for significantly more than that in electrical costs

it's also less efficient as an electric heater; copper coils and a fan are basically 100% efficient (all the electricity goes into heat) whereas this thing squanders it on computing pretend money. if it did something prosocial (like folding@home or what have you) it's slightly better, but the true solution is our lord and savior the heat pump, blessed be thy efficiency of 400%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Computing hardware is no less efficient than coils of nichrome wire at turning electrical energy into heat. If they were, where would the excess energy be going? It would violate the conservation law.

It just takes way more resources to make the hardware.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Heat pumps, on the other hand, actually do do magic, something-for-nothing hyper efficiency

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ikanreed posted:

Heat pumps, on the other hand, actually do do magic, something-for-nothing hyper efficiency

You are stealing heat from the environment and imperceptibly reducing the urban heat island effect.

:blessed:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/SiYEMCL.mp4

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i still don't get what these loving miners are mining. they're mining math??? you can't mine math

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nichael posted:

you can't mine math

Skill issue.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jesus, that's terrifying from the ground up, then they blindside you with an australian accent

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

when I was a kid I wanted to be a baseball player

kids have dumb ideas about jobs and what they are

yeah same. now I just wanna be an official scorer for some minor league team no one cares about. I'd be a total homer too it would rule

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nintendo Switch with heart arrhythmia attachment? What hardware even is that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nichael posted:

i still don't get what these loving miners are mining. they're mining math??? you can't mine math

"Mining" is just generating lottery tickets. Better/more hardware lets you generate tickets faster. The winning ticket every 10 minutes gets imaginary money printed out of thin air. The mining itself serves no purpose, it is just to incentivise people to run the program that secures the network.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jesus, that's terrifying from the ground up, then they blindside you with an australian accent

I didn't have the sound on and I'm imaging someone going "ey oval office looks like your ticker's gone all wozza"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

TACD posted:

Nintendo Switch with heart arrhythmia attachment? What hardware even is that?
https://hackaday.com/2012/09/13/measuring-a-pulse-with-infrared-light

quote:

The volume of blood in the finger will have an effect on the amount of light reflected back, and makes for a perfect way to automatically measure someone’s heart rate.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

*b/w ad of man with severe brain damage munching dehydrated strawberries*

There has to be a better way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

Computing hardware is no less efficient than coils of nichrome wire at turning electrical energy into heat. If they were, where would the excess energy be going? It would violate the conservation law.

it’s used up moving all the little switches inside that keep track of my Marios

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I didn’t know the Switch had this built in. I’m still confused though, is the Switch constantly monitoring your heart while you’re playing a game? Is this a new feature they’ve just released?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TACD posted:

I didn’t know the Switch had this built in. I’m still confused though, is the Switch constantly monitoring your heart while you’re playing a game? Is this a new feature they’ve just released?

i'm pretty sure the game shown is a fitness game that specifically utilizes that feature for gameplay reasons

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
its an exercise game/accessory where you hold and twist and flex a ring while moving around. guess it also monitors your pulse

https://ringfitadventure.nintendo.com

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I own Ring Fit, the bit where it measures your heart rate by putting your thumb over the IR sensor is real, but you don't do that while playing the game normally for it to interrupt you like that so I'm voting fake

Grey Fox has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Dec 30, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

skooma512 posted:

Distributed computing's heyday was over as soon as bitcoin came on the scene. Most of the people doing that were gonna mine coins instead.
I wonder how many college students/staff/faculty have gotten away with mining btc on the campus HPC cluster

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

I wonder how many college students/staff/faculty have gotten away with mining btc on the campus HPC cluster

Probably a few, but any competent IT is going to notice that poo poo immediately and go into kill mode over it.

It's like cockfighting for computers, very bad for them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

tokin opposition posted:

Probably a few, but any competent IT is going to notice that poo poo immediately and go into kill mode over it.

It's like cockfighting for computers, very bad for them
I'm not sure if they would bother to look into it if it's running on a department's partition that the department paid for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The common scheme for students to live in housing where electricity is "free" and run cheap miners there. It doesn't matter how inefficient they are if someone else is footing the power bill. I imagine most institutions are wise to that by now though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
also after the dedicated mining chips became a thing, even mining on supercomputers will give you chump change

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

ymgve posted:

also after the dedicated mining chips became a thing, even mining on supercomputers will give you chump change
looks like you can mine about $230 a month on 16 a40s or $830 on 16 a100s. i bet there were some folks who made a lot more back in the day when nobody would know + mining was easier though.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

looks like you can mine about $230 a month on 16 a40s or $830 on 16 a100s. i bet there were some folks who made a lot more back in the day when nobody would know + mining was easier though.

lol

Can't wait to spend $160,000 to make 800 a month*

*If you can find someone to take them and not scam you

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Can I game on that bad boy though?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Grey Fox posted:

I own Rig Fit, the bit where it measures your heart rate by putting your thumb over the IR sensor is real, but you don't do that while playing the game normally for it to interrupt you like that so I'm voting fake
The game also uses different fonts, has a different layout for those alerts, a different blip for the heartrate measurement, actual non-synthesized voiceover and doesn't play a doomer drone during errors. But the IR sensor is cool as heck

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

tokin opposition posted:

lol

Can't wait to spend $160,000 to make 800 a month*

*If you can find someone to take them and not scam you

the idea is you get someone else to pay for them and trust that you're doing important research!

they spend a lot of time sitting around over the holidays....

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Grey Fox posted:

I own Rig Fit, the bit where it measures your heart rate by putting your thumb over the IR sensor is real, but you don't do that while playing the game normally for it to interrupt you like that so I'm voting fake

i dont think it would play spooky music at you and also you could sue the poo poo out of nintendo if they got it wrong because of a faulty sensor

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ring fit is fun and great cardio

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

netizen posted:

Can I game on that bad boy though?

You can not.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sure you can, but it involves either using the hdmi out of a motherboard that has one, or doing some virtual machine + remote desktop bullshit. It will suck at it though, it's not tuned for video rendering, though it can do it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The game that warns players that they are having a heart attack doesn’t exist yet.

I thought that that was clear from the subject matter and voiceover.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Given how utterly terrified Nintendo was of anyone exerting themselves to the point of actual injury (it makes you do a n00b tutorial every. single. loving. time. you do your first squat of the day or whatever, warns you not to exercise too much, and keeps interrupting you to nag you to take breaks even if you've barely broken a sweat), it would be absolutely shocking if they included something as lawsuit-worthy as a "diagnosis" of heart attack.

The workout is no joke if you put effort in, though. Using the Ring Fit gear to play Zelda would be injury-prone for sure. Someone modded a ring fit set to do that and it looked exhausting.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tagra posted:

Given how utterly terrified Nintendo was of anyone exerting themselves to the point of actual injury (it makes you do a n00b tutorial every. single. loving. time. you do your first squat of the day or whatever, warns you not to exercise too much, and keeps interrupting you to nag you to take breaks even if you've barely broken a sweat), it would be absolutely shocking if they included something as lawsuit-worthy as a "diagnosis" of heart attack.

The workout is no joke if you put effort in, though. Using the Ring Fit gear to play Zelda would be injury-prone for sure. Someone modded a ring fit set to do that and it looked exhausting.

"HYAAAAH" I scream as I spincut a bunch of breakable poo poo off of every nearby surface in the living room, killing the dodongo

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

this poo poo is all so insane and nonsensical

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Nichael posted:

this poo poo is all so insane and nonsensical

more reason to burn gas for no reason at all

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

more falafel please posted:

yeah same. now I just wanna be an official scorer for some minor league team no one cares about. I'd be a total homer too it would rule

my son told me he wanted to be an umpire the other day. a job that is actively being phased out by modern attitudes and technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my son told me he wanted to be an umpire the other day. a job that is actively being phased out by modern attitudes and technology.

lol