Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

thehandtruck posted:

We promise never to JewBarrass you because we’ve been there

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

Dan Carlin’s politics would probably make a good thread. my theory is that when he inadvertently brainwashes himself while reading sources to prepare each episode, being so agog with the scale of the historic event that he forgets to make any moral judgment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Dokapon Findom posted:

I think it would go a little something like this- *everyone can see what I'm about to do and starts frantically waving me off*

The moment when you realize that Dokapon Findom's opinion of what is appropriate differs very much from your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jDHRW6fngg&t=63s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Smug Mug posted:

Dan Carlin’s politics would probably make a good thread. my theory is that when he inadvertently brainwashes himself while reading sources to prepare each episode, being so agog with the scale of the historic event that he forgets to make any moral judgment.

It's a bit of a thing with a lot of people where when you get immersed in something it tends to at least temporarily affect your thinking about it, but I think likely especially bad with people who don't have a lot of solid material or ideological grounding and end up basically believing the last thing they've been told. Hence the reason cable news is basically mind control for boomers.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

hadji murad posted:

thank you for the Dan Carlin stuff

wow, I’m at the in-laws in Japan, doing a puzzle, then I heard the word Gaza on TV and they read out Refaat’s If I Must Die poem

what channel was it? i can prob transcribe from dvr.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

thats crazy i wonder how it would sound like in japanese

it was actually read in English with subtitles.

I wasn’t really paying attention because I heard the words Israel and Gaza and expected bullshit

once I heard the line about the piece of cloth I recognized what it was

Mandoric posted:

what channel was it? i can prob transcribe from dvr.

it was on TBS, around 530 pm

I wish I was paying better attention at the time to see how everything was framed

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al-Saqr posted:

a palestinian commentator translated a shockingly defeatest article that came out of israeli newspaper, ill go look for the original to confirm

=====

Amazing frankness from an Israeli journalist: Enough...no victory.

This was Biden's advice to Netanyahu!

Orly Azoulay wrote in Yedioth:

“The October 7 war will not bring victory. Even a country with a luxurious army will not defeat a saboteur with an easy movement of two feet, and he has nothing to lose. He will jump from one tunnel mouth to another tunnel mouth, and pursue the organized army that was sent by a terror-stricken state to impose order in a place that is a trap.” Death. It is not a coincidence that Biden said to Netanyahu at the beginning of the fighting: Learn from our mistakes. He meant Afghanistan. The United States spent 20 years of fighting there until it withdrew in disgrace and returned the keys to the Taliban. This is how it also did in Vietnam. Fighters return in coffins, or wounded. In the body and in the soul, as happened to many American fighters in Afghanistan and Iraq.”

https://x.com/yzaatreh/status/1740657902103208207?s=46

I can't find the column itself on their website, but Orly did tweet out a low res picture of it.

https://twitter.com/OrlyAzoulay/status/1740524262333501583?t=5SrJLL8c9N6DGmwijIVpaQ

It's titled "Enough is Enough: About a war with no point". This is too blurry to translate word by word, so in the rest of it after what you've already posted she basically says:

*Gaza looks unfit for human life,
*"we've butchered, destroyed and starved"
*The hostages have been betrayed and given up on
*There's a growing feeling that the end of the war won't bring peace and quiet, but rather the feeling that it was all for nothing
*The world initially had sympathy for Israel, but it quickly ran out as the war continued
*Even America is getting impatient, and some ammunition deliveries aren't arriving as they should
*Young people and "liberals" (lol) today are anti capitalism, imperalism and colonialism
*Marginilized people see Israel as a white nation that's beating and robbing another minority
*She thinks Biden won't let Netanyahu prevent some sort of treaty with the Palestenians the same way he pushed Trump to pull out of the Nuclear deal with Iran because he knows that "there is no military solution", only a political one.
*"The palestenians won't have a state from river to sea, and neither will we"

Basically she wants a two state solution.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol western media are all satan worshipping devil nazis

https://x.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1741017992794865982?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I gotta say it's pretty shocking how immediately americas attempt to open up the yemen straight collapsed and failed, I genuinely thought they would actually try something.

I think the real reason why america didnt bother too hard is because america produces it's own oil so they're not existentially too invested so they're acting half-heartedly on top of their incompetence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I suddenly had a realisation how much 'war on terror' rhetoric basically ends up being exactly the same poo poo as 'tough on crime', and similarly results in confusion when methods that aren't actually supposed to do anything but brutalise nonwhite people don't do what they were advertised as doing. Like a snake oil salesman trying to cure themselves with their own supply.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al-Saqr posted:

A bloodthirsty call to war against the downtrodden
By C. Iaplanti
From a euphemistically named think tank

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A bloodthirsty call to war against the downtrodden
By C. Iaplanti
From a euphemistically named think tank

you know what's definitely less embarrassing than a failed red sea PR exercise? losing a war against yemen, of course

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AryJeay/status/1740677687968936405?t=AeeqpNaJ3zthX7xTkWd-ww&s=19

Okay what is going on here because there's no way the IDF has over 500 brigades and/or 7,008 battalions

Re: that dead rear end in a top hat:
https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/status/1740761013480497183

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a bit of a thing with a lot of people where when you get immersed in something it tends to at least temporarily affect your thinking about it, but I think likely especially bad with people who don't have a lot of solid material or ideological grounding and end up basically believing the last thing they've been told. Hence the reason cable news is basically mind control for boomers.

The lack of any ideological grounding basically means that most people will believe anything they hear "a smart/trustworthy-sounding person" say, with what constitutes "smart/trustworthy" depending on their cultural preferences. And why wouldn't they? They don't have any clearly articulated beliefs guiding them, so of course they'll believe anything that "sounds like it makes sense."

This is actually why, even though it might sometimes seem like you're making progress talking to some "normie" in your life, in reality you probably aren't. They think what you're saying makes sense, and maybe they even believe you! But they'll also think what the TV/newspaper/etc makes sense next time they're exposed to it, even if it directly contradicts whatever you said. They don't have any consistent set of beliefs, so they'll just believe whatever they heard most recently, and the TV is likely going to "talk" to them far more than you can.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

my dad posted:

I hate wars. I hate the deaths, the maimings, the cruelty, the tragedies, the misery, the destruction, the ruination of lives...

But when all these things are happening in times of "peace", how can I not stand by those who are rising up against the injustice?

gently caress Israel. May God give the Palestinians victory.

the above remains valid, victory draws closer

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My favorite think tank name is "New Lines Institute" - it's about as non-euphemistic as a euphemism gets

It's even to some level a goon project, too

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

The lack of any ideological grounding basically means that most people will believe anything they hear "a smart/trustworthy-sounding person" say, with what constitutes "smart/trustworthy" depending on their cultural preferences. And why wouldn't they? They don't have any clearly articulated beliefs guiding them, so of course they'll believe anything that "sounds like it makes sense."

This is actually why, even though it might sometimes seem like you're making progress talking to some "normie" in your life, in reality you probably aren't. They think what you're saying makes sense, and maybe they even believe you! But they'll also think what the TV/newspaper/etc makes sense next time they're exposed to it, even if it directly contradicts whatever you said. They don't have any consistent set of beliefs, so they'll just believe whatever they heard most recently, and the TV is likely going to "talk" to them far more than you can.

Then they get mad when you ask them, "What is it you believe, exactly?"

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

my dad posted:

the above remains valid, victory draws closer

Israel has already lost, now it just needs to do some dying.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

the country with all the slaves keeps growing in population - why? King Slavetaker the Grotesque sat down with me over brunch and explained his fifteen point plan for national development

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

iCe-CuBe. posted:

How do I get paid to run interference for Israel? I would be pretty good at it I think. My resume is I read a lot of wikipedia articles and get really freaked out by African mercenaries for not raicst reasons

Brown Moses parachute account spotted.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lmao biden telling hitler 2 to learn from americas mistakes. The same mistakes america keeps making.

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006
I like your style, P vs I thread. There's just one thing.
Do you have to blaspheme so much ?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dan Carlin has always pretty much just been History Channel dad/pop military history bullshit (with all the same horrible politics), just sometimes wowing people by not always talking about WW2. Ninja, pirates, vikings, greatest warrior poo poo. Wow this Genghis Khan guy isn't as interesting as Nazi tanks but I'm intrigued!
I do remember enjoying the episode on the Munster anabaptist Rebellion back when I listened to his show 1000 years ago cuz I hadn't heard of that (and it seemed well researched on a topic I didn't have access to many sources about). I shudder to think what he or the Revolutions Podcast guy currently think about, well, basically anything.

Mike Duncan retweeted some article on like oct 10th that said "Isreal is bad but should exist, palestine should be free but hamas is bad" which is pretty loving braindead but is now retweeting this

https://x.com/mikeduncan/status/1738616417560170557?s=20

so he is significantly better relative to Dan Carlin and is better than the average lib but i would not like, look to him for any kind of current events correctness. he at least is not supporting genocide which is a step above many loving libs

DTA DTI Free Palestine

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I saw a clip on Twitter of drone footage of a Hamas fighter having been shot by the IDF and dying after attempting to run away for a while. I won't link it for obvious reasons but it was apparently posted by the Israelis and it's insane how bad they are at propaganda. The guy is shot and bleeding heavily. He's running away but finally collapses against a wall, raises his finger in defiance and starts praying until he dies posed as if he is still praying towards Mecca.

How can you be in charge of Israeli propaganda and post a video showing your enemy dying in the most brave and dignified way possible? "Look at this guy with his unshakable faith as he's bravely staring death in the face!"

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Hedenius posted:

I saw a clip on Twitter of drone footage of a Hamas fighter having been shot by the IDF and dying after attempting to run away for a while. I won't link it for obvious reasons but it was apparently posted by the Israelis and it's insane how bad they are at propaganda. The guy is shot and bleeding heavily. He's running away but finally collapses against a wall, raises his finger in defiance and starts praying until he dies posed as if he is still praying towards Mecca.

How can you be in charge of Israeli propaganda and post a video showing your enemy dying in the most brave and dignified way possible? "Look at this guy with his unshakable faith as he's bravely staring death in the face!"

what a thing to ponder

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Smug Mug posted:

The whole theme of his series on mongols was that you shouldn't remove morality from historical events.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

The whole theme of his series on mongols was that you shouldn't remove morality from historical events.

the theme of his war in the pacific series is "the japanese are just like any other people, just moreso" which he repeated about two dozen times

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

demons

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly had a realisation how much 'war on terror' rhetoric basically ends up being exactly the same poo poo as 'tough on crime', and similarly results in confusion when methods that aren't actually supposed to do anything but brutalise nonwhite people don't do what they were advertised as doing. Like a snake oil salesman trying to cure themselves with their own supply.

ive been having the 'high on their own supply' thought a lot lately too. the supply they are getting high on is authority (hegemony), which works when authority is accomplishing goals, or at the very least has maintained control of the narrative.

Ytlaya posted:

its the same prioritization of sources that we use when reading things online, why would they doubt the realiable source on tv they've seen for decades, for you, a person with an opinion that, while reasonable, turns their world upside down and casts them as a member of the bad guys. i think that very quickly we are seeing news tv lose that credibility in the public eye, especially in younger generations where access to primary sources in the conflict (i.e. gazans on tiktok) destroys everything you hear on news channels. frankly, had they somehow been able to take tiktok down for its links to china, we would have likely seen the same style engagement from the west as previous i/p conflicts, but pandora's box was opened thankfully

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Mike Duncan retweeted some article on like oct 10th that said "Isreal is bad but should exist, palestine should be free but hamas is bad" which is pretty loving braindead but is now retweeting this

https://x.com/mikeduncan/status/1738616417560170557?s=20

so he is significantly better relative to Dan Carlin and is better than the average lib but i would not like, look to him for any kind of current events correctness. he at least is not supporting genocide which is a step above many loving libs

DTA DTI Free Palestine

come on eeyore, he wrote a book about how much he likes to suck off lafayette and only did a good podcast on haiti cuz he accidentally picked up the book about haiti written by a black marxist or whatever.
like listening to him sucking off the whites in the russian civil war was pretty lol too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

fits my needs posted:

like listening to him sucking off the whites in the russian civil war was pretty lol too.

youre a loving morong if you believe he did this tbh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

he did

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

cool, just journalists asking, pleading, for more death. Just casually demanding war upon a people. Like are they aware of what they ask? That the people that die are real people with families and all that poo poo?

Some dumb loving nerd in an office crying that the deaths are not high enough yet, how can we set even more of the region on fire.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ok what did he do then

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

cool, just journalists asking, pleading, for more death. Just casually demanding war upon a people. Like are they aware of what they ask? That the people that die are real people with families and all that poo poo?

Some dumb loving nerd in an office crying that the deaths are not high enough yet, how can we set even more of the region on fire.

Dude works at a foreign policy think tank, he is not a journalist by any stretch. Columnist on the other hand, now that's clearly a word that needs to be retired.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

My Podcaster is problematic

The only possible agency for an authentically democratic, anti-capitalist politics is conscious struggle by the exploited and oppressed for self-emancipation. Class politics have been set back by decades of neoliberal victories and labour movement defeats. But the abandonment of a focus on the agency of working-class and other democratic struggles from below has a longer history. The last century is tragically full of instances of leftists substituting the agency of the exploited and oppressed for that of Stalinist states and various other authoritarian forces.

Many self-defined leftists have gone so far as to support, sometimes more “critically”, sometimes less, state and non-state forces that do not even claim the rhetoric and symbolism of socialism: Putin’s Russia, Assad’s Syria, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and Islamist paramilitary forces such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

We believe that the rise of syncretic politics, campism and conspiracy theory, as well as the deepening purchase of pseudo-emancipatory antisemitism, can partly be explained as symptoms of this left abandonment of class, and of an analysis of the dynamics of global capitalism.

Much left politics of recent decades has been predicated not so much on a struggle against capitalism-as-social-relation, but on a rejection of “American hegemony”, “globalisation”, “finance” — or sometimes, “Zionism”, seen as the vanguard of all these forces. This has led many people who think of themselves as leftists to sympathise with reactionary alternatives to current political and economic arrangements.

At the same time, truncated forms of anti-capitalism, that focus on the supposed moral evils of “financial” or “unproductive” capital – rather than on the objective antagonism between capital and labour – encourage personalised critiques of “globalist elites” and “Rothschild bankers”, rather than a movement towards the abolition of capitalism itself, through collective organisation and struggle from below.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobotomy molo posted:

the other part (kornilov) was in episode 10.70. I don’t have a transcript handy, but a brief summary:
-kornilov was a patriot who loved russia, not some right-wing psycho. very favorable portrayal.
-the whole thing was just a big miscommunication with yakety sax playing in the background, not an attempted right-wing coup.
-sure an aide to kornilov said they’d seize power and off kerensky once he wasn’t useful any more, but that doesn’t seem likely and the aide was probably just talking poo poo
-kornilov didn’t really have his heart in it and his forces just kind of stopped. barely any mention of the Bolsheviks’ role in stopping his advance on St. Petersburg, they’re just a footnote

it’s just weird. like a switch flipped at episode ~50 and he went from relatively sympathetic portrayal of the bolsheviks to just ignoring all their victories and successes and ragging on them 24/7. another high point was when said they were basically just as antisemitic as any other side in the russian civil war, that was episode 10.87 iirc

quote:

around 32:00 of episode 10.84 - The End of the World

quote:

Now, I don't wanna underestimate Allied support for the Whites - they absolutely did pump supplies and guns to the White armies, but with the benefit of hindsight we know that the Allied interventions into Russia were never gonna be as wholehearted as any of the Russians expected.

In the winter of 1918 and 1919, the Allies had far bigger issues on their plate. The civil war in Russia was just not a high priority. Now it is the case that there were small groups out there, in France and in Britain and the United States, people like Winston Churchill for example, who really were pushing for an immediate all-out attack on Bolshevism, but they were in the minority.

At least as many British, French and American leaders liked and supported the idea of the Soviet socialist republics as they appeared in 1917 and 1918, certainly they much preferred the socialist reds to the reactionary whites, who no doubt intended to restore barbarous absolutism.

Mostly though, both the general populations and ruling classes of Britain, and France and the United States just did not have Russia very high on their list of interests. Everyone was sick of war, sick of fighting, sick of being trapped in destructive quagmires. The unrestrained jubilation that marked the end of World War 1 meant that it was going to be very tough to say "oh yeah, glad the war with Germany is over, now we're gonna plunge into the middle of the Russian civil war," so as we go forward we are never going to see the Allies make the kind of major commitments both sides of the Russian civil war expected them to make.

The expeditionary forces they landed in 1918 around the periphery tended to just stay put and not grow. There were some naval blockades, definitely major shipments of munitions, but the Allies were not, in fact, hell-bent on destroying Bolshevism. And they were absolutely ready to cut the cord if it looked like destroying Bolshevism was going to require them to get sucked even deeper into the Russian civil war.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

yeah Duncan really undersells how monstrous the Whites were. as far as i can tell the reds didn’t do poo poo like round up all the Jews into synagogues to burn them alive

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

if you think about it, gannon was trying to stop a monarchy from enacting the triangular trade

lolling at my old post ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the more i read about the communist 'harshness and crimes' the more ive come to realize that they acted in the most reasonable way possible because they fully inderstood the nature of right wing fascism and authoritarianism, and acted accordingly, anything less than what they did wouldve ended up killing them.

look right now at palestine, look at where fatah ended up after behaving 'reasonably' while hamas, the ultimate boogeyman, turned oit to have 100% been in the right all along because they treated israel as the nazi monsters they are.