Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Praise the dark lord, it’s a sign that I need to buy Hades this sale.

E: gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Seconding this, it’s one of my favorite depictions of satan: still a legitimate threat that you’re forced to take seriously even though he’s also a complete jackass and terrible game designer.

Specifically waited to say this, don’t wanna insult the guy on his big page.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jack Trades posted:

Hail Satan implies that there's Rain Satan and Snow Satan.

Spend the winter in New England and you'll believe.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nam Taf posted:

You should buy Hades anyway.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

kazil posted:

You should buy Hades anyway.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just now realizing how prescient "a funny dumbass that's powerful enough you have to take them seriously" was for 2016.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
And 2020.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And 2024

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Any good Satan games?

Dragon Ball Xenoverse/Kakarot

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

Fail Satan

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Hwurmp posted:

Fail Satan

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Dude. Volcano Princess, Return from Core, Yog-Sothoth’s Yard, Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion; All cool looking games I would have loved to play but have horrible english translations. It's loving annoying. This is a problem now.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Azran posted:

Lastly, my complaint with God of Weapons is that even in a genre full of cheap games, it feels VERY cheap. It's not an EA title, but it certainly feels like one. It also gets some points off for copying Brotato's stat system pretty much wholesale lol I still like it though! I haven't played any of the others mentioned - Time Wasters' art in particular has strong "this was AI generated" vibes.

Yeah I will say that I am not sure what it adds over Brotato. The Tetris is fun at least to a point, but it does sort of feel like it mostly hamstrings the combos you can get relative to brotato.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Never played Brotato to compare, but I quite like the Inventory Tetris "minigame" in God of Weapons. Trying to optimize item placements / rotations for Adjacent Item bonuses.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

K8.0 posted:

Play Mario Odyssey. It's the largely uncontested best platformer. No lives, free warping around levels, approachable but with an incredibly high skill ceiling, and an unbelievable amount of content. It's one of the best dopamine inducers mankind has ever produced.

i actually did play that when i got my switch way back in 2017, and forgot about it until now! but it's funny, i will say that my positive memories of that game are not about the actual platforming, and entirely around how weird and creative the environments and objectives are. the platforming in that game just seems like the mechanism through which you discover that, which is also why i never did any of the postgame stuff: the last thing i wanted was hard platforming challenges. i loved how creative that game was but never liked the part where i jumped on things.

pseudoregalia is the exact opposite: the platforming is the only point, and somehow i love it! the game has like 5 enemy types, like 3 boss battles, and only a few unique environments; you are not there to see what wacky things await around each corner but instead to master your traversal of the world. it's pretty fuckin cool.

i beat it last night (ended up being about 8 hours total). did end up using a map walkthrough to grab the last couple major objectives, and had to get hints for where to pick up the last few powers - i didn't pick up the wall kick and wall ride until VERY late in the game, so had to do a lot of extra backtracking to find the areas i was supposed to have been going with those. would love to see what the developer does next.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
unrelated question: is Spider-Man Miles Morales a game that stands up on its own? i don't usually have the patience for full-size open world games, but kinda love the idea of standalone spinoffs - the only infamous i ever played through was first light, lol - and i've also heard negative things about the original game's cop-centric storyline. would jumping straight into Miles Morales be reasonable?

otoh it's still $30 while original Spider-Man is $36 and like three times as long according to HLTB so i guess it's a "worse deal," weird pricing there

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

abraham linksys posted:

unrelated question: is Spider-Man Miles Morales a game that stands up on its own?

Yeah, absolutely

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

unrelated question: is Spider-Man Miles Morales a game that stands up on its own? i don't usually have the patience for full-size open world games, but kinda love the idea of standalone spinoffs - the only infamous i ever played through was first light, lol - and i've also heard negative things about the original game's cop-centric storyline. would jumping straight into Miles Morales be reasonable?

otoh it's still $30 while original Spider-Man is $36 and like three times as long according to HLTB so i guess it's a "worse deal," weird pricing there

It's less bloated than the original Spider-Man and in some ways that focus makes it just straight-up a better game.

I will say, though: I played through the PC port of Spider-Man with no issues, but Miles Morales crashed on me incessantly. No idea why.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw 20 minutes till dawn should be an EGS free game in the next few days.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tildes posted:

Yeah I will say that I am not sure what it adds over Brotato. The Tetris is fun at least to a point, but it does sort of feel like it mostly hamstrings the combos you can get relative to brotato.

Just grabbed it as I saw it was on sale for like $4 or whatever. Yea, it definitely feels like "the same game"... but I miss the Dash Button from GoW, and the Newgrounds era Flash animation art style doesn't do it for me, not that GoW's style of "low effort unity store 3d modells" is any more appealing. And now it's apparent that yea GoW clearly just lifted a lot of numbers/ideas from this. Also I like how GoW silos unlockable content a little more cleanly, it's not just a giant grid of every possible character - instead there are individual avatars for each class with 3 subclasses. Brotato feels a bit overwhelming that I'm supposed to look at all of these and decide

Dunno, they're similar but different enough IMO.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think Brotato is kind of boring.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kaddish posted:

I think Brotato is kind of boring.

You're not wrong. Especially the "build" part. There are too many possibilities and too few options, so to make the game playable the it rigs the RNG to favor certain rolls, and ultimately it's very boring because of that. You just play what it wants you to play and most of the actual gameplay is mindless too, so I just don't see a point.

IMO VS, HoT, and Holocaust are the only games in the genre really worth playing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Death Must Die is probably my favorite iteration on the formula, however it needs more content, probably some balance tweaks on the Gods, and something in addition to your Gear as a form of 'meta progression'

As my cousin put it, "There are runs where you get Mort and there bad runs"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tiny Rogues is an incredibly good game all around and if you have a controller you can turn on VS-style auto targeting for what it's worth.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Trying to play through No Mans Sky again. How weirdly obsessed it is with sounding mystical and stardusty isn't any less grating than it was before, unfortunately. At least they included an option to get rid of the "hold A to confirm" nightmare they had for every action.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

K8.0 posted:

You're not wrong. Especially the "build" part. There are too many possibilities and too few options, so to make the game playable the it rigs the RNG to favor certain rolls, and ultimately it's very boring because of that. You just play what it wants you to play and most of the actual gameplay is mindless too, so I just don't see a point.

IMO VS, HoT, and Holocaust are the only games in the genre really worth playing.

Man that’s peak unfortunate autocorrect.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

buglord posted:

Trying to play through No Mans Sky again. How weirdly obsessed it is with sounding mystical and stardusty isn't any less grating than it was before, unfortunately. At least they included an option to get rid of the "hold A to confirm" nightmare they had for every action.

Oh just wait until you see how many god damned crafting requirements there are. :tizzy:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

Tiny Rogues is an incredibly good game all around and if you have a controller you can turn on VS-style auto targeting for what it's worth.

I keep seeing this and remembering how incredible adorable old iOS puzzle game Tiny Thief was, back when they would sell you games rather than interactive wallet draining simulations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBQw_wA4WI

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It is quite impressive how many updates NMS has had that add additional elements just as boring and annoying as the things it started out with. Many years in and the planets are still has boring as ever.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they achieved their goal of salvaging their reputation enough that they won't be immediately laughed out of the room when their next game comes out

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I've tried picking it up several times over the years because I keep reading that it's actually great now that it's had these big updates, but it's still the same exact game it has always been. Adding an option to disable "hold LMB to interact" timers sounds like the first good major change but not even VR is enough to make the exploration fun :smith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NMS still has the depth of a puddle. They just made the puddle wider and wider with each update.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
One of the reasons the Light No Fire trailer did nothing for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Anno posted:

Was it unfortunate autocorrect, or am I a fan of kill the lizards definitely not pogrom simulator?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anno posted:

I saw it and assumed there must actually be a game called that

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet so I wanted to also recommend Pode as a great low-stress co-op game. It’s a puzzle game that’s not too hard and also super cute.

Dredging this post up from the distant past of several days ago to say that I bought Pode based on your recommendation. Mrs Boat and I played the first couple of areas today and we loved it. It's extremely sweet and while the puzzles aren't too hard (yet) there's plenty of joyful little "aha!" moments. Thoroughly recommended for anyone after a chill gaming session for two.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So i got some neat new games over the holidays and instead of playing them I just keep playing Outward.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So i got some neat new games over the holidays and instead of playing them I just keep playing Outward.

how would you summarize it's appeal?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Outward is Morrowind meets Ultima Underworld if you enjoy punching yourself in the genitals for little to no benefit.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This popped up on Steam yesterday and looks worthy of a follow for any Kenshi or similar game enjoyers: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2724650/The_Bustling_World/

It's also on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firewogames/the-bustling-world

Doesn't seem off to the hottest start, but they say that it's to help finish the game faster, and it will be completed either way. Apparently it's a husband/wife team doing all this. Hopefully a bit more visibility through Steam helps them out.