Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't think i'm totally understanding your second complaint, since it's totally possible and straightforward to add multiple cards to your wallet (a business card and a personal one) and pick which one you want to use for each payment.

When I got babby's first iphone last year, there was no option to select payment method for a subscription. It charges whatever is set as the default payment method in apple pay. It even says now in my Apple ID settings:

"If your default payment method can't be charged for a purchase, including subscriptions, you authorize APple to attempt to charge your other payment methods in order from top to bottom"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think that's correct. For Apple Pay purchases (like you're at a store and paying for something) you can pick whatever cards you have added. For subs, like Apple One, it does ding the default card first.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I use this same pack and cable all the time and it works perfectly. If it were trying to charge the pack, I don't the pack wouldn't go from full to empty. The phone was seemingly drawing full power but not banking any of it and just converting it straight to heat for hours.

The new iOS finally added hand warmer mode.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

This is a dumb problem.

I received a new credit card, as my old one was about to expire. The account # is the same, just different expiration and CVV code. This is the sole credit card I have linked to my wallet/apple pay.

I cannot remove the card because I have an active subscription. I cannot enter the NEW card details because it says I already have that card added to my wallet, despite the expiration and CVV being different.

Apple Pay is kind of dumb. My other issue is that you can't (or couldn't at the time) select a payment method for a subscription type. I can't have a business credit card paying for business expenses while apple TV subscription is paid by a personal credit card. This is baffling.

It should automatically update. Are you certain it hasn't?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The ones with USB-C are both input and output, so they can't be completely stupid.

The charge will generally go in whichever direction needs it more.

Supposedly iPhones have an inexplicably low charge priority over USB-C.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My phone woke up this morning with the screen completely dead. It was somehow still providing haptic feedback. I basically pressed the side buttons to trigger the Turn Off swipe and swiped at where the bar usually would be. Then turned the phone back on. I didn’t think it’d work — both the turnoff and the turnon — but it did. Screen came back on.

What a nasty problem to run into though. Really freaks you.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is a new one to me in Apple Maps… it’s avoiding a flood warning in the suggested route. A bit silly since the flooding is localized to one river but the route is all interstates… but maybe more useful elsewhere.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is the firmware on the head unit (I think that's what they call them) up to date? If not, fix it. Is the Car Play wireless? That connection might need to be reset. I'm not sure how wireless car play is setup to tell you for sure.

I'm going to check that tomorrow- it should be auto-updated OTA whenever GM pushes one out. And yes wirelessly connected. I'll try both.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

smackfu posted:

This is a new one to me in Apple Maps… it’s avoiding a flood warning in the suggested route. A bit silly since the flooding is localized to one river but the route is all interstates… but maybe more useful elsewhere.

Are you also somewhere in SoCal lol? Just noticed the at this evening.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

I've been using AMaps more and more compared to Gmaps and Waze, though I still prefer Waze sometimes. It's real whiz bang, it's pretty, and it does tie me into the grips of Tim's ecosystem well.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's really stupid that only apple maps is allowed to show directions while locked. Some real obvious monopoly behavior that Brandon ought to do something about.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m not even sure I like that behavior. Makes me feel like I forgot to lock the phone.

That said Apple Maps is such an underdog, more competition is good :shrug:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Magic Underwear posted:

It's really stupid that only apple maps is allowed to show directions while locked. Some real obvious monopoly behavior that Brandon ought to do something about.

I think certain nav apps can do the same, i think Sygic will also do directions on the lock screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I forget if I shared this here, but a really good reminder to really guard your phone / tech.

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/jo...=djemTechThings

Having helped customers reset passwords all the time for years, i get immediately how he (them) were doing it. It’s just extremely impressive how fast.

I donno what the balance should be on security vs ease of resetting passwords, there are so many people who just can’t handle tech, some because they’re ignorant, some because of mental / physical issues (like the earlier discussion on safe guarding grandparents phones, etc).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I think certain nav apps can do the same, i think Sygic will also do directions on the lock screen.

Google not keeping many of their apps updated with modern iOS APIs? Shocking!

Still wish I could mute specific conversation notifications in Google Voice for iOS.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Lately, I don’t know when it started exactly, Safari has been acting up. I go to the address bar to Google something, the progress bar moves slightly, then stops midway and nothing else happens. I won’t get Safari to actually perform the search unless I 1) open a new tab to perform the same search, or 2) lock the phone, unlock it again, and then refresh the old tab.

I’m using a 12 Mini on iOS 17.2.1 and I have rebooted the phone. What gives?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xabi posted:

Lately, I don’t know when it started exactly, Safari has been acting up. I go to the address bar to Google something, the progress bar moves slightly, then stops midway and nothing else happens. I won’t get Safari to actually perform the search unless I 1) open a new tab to perform the same search, or 2) lock the phone, unlock it again, and then refresh the old tab.

I’m using a 12 Mini on iOS 17.2.1 and I have rebooted the phone. What gives?

I too have experienced this lately. I usually remedy it by force quitting Safari and reopening it. They don't know how to code anymore; sad but true.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

astral posted:

It should automatically update. Are you certain it hasn't?

It wasn't the apple credit card, it was a Chase card. I got an e-mail from Apple saying there is a problem with my payment, despite it expiring in 2/24.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I forget if I shared this here, but a really good reminder to really guard your phone / tech.

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/jo...=djemTechThings

Having helped customers reset passwords all the time for years, i get immediately how he (them) were doing it. It’s just extremely impressive how fast.

I donno what the balance should be on security vs ease of resetting passwords, there are so many people who just can’t handle tech, some because they’re ignorant, some because of mental / physical issues (like the earlier discussion on safe guarding grandparents phones, etc).

I just watched this video, and at first I was thinking "this is dumb, don't give your phone and passcode to drug dealers (or anyone really), this is 100% the victim's own fault" and I do still believe that, but I was pretty shocked when they got to the part about the FaceID.

I don't feel like testing it out myself, but is it really true that if you change the Face stored in FaceID on your phone, any apps that use FaceID will immediately accept the new Face without any kind of re-authentication? Because THAT is nuts. I would think it would be super simple to make it so that a change in FaceID triggers any apps that use FaceID for login to require a password on their next login.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

It wasn't the apple credit card, it was a Chase card. I got an e-mail from Apple saying there is a problem with my payment, despite it expiring in 2/24.

That still should have automatically updated.

Have you already activated the new card? Did you check if you tripped a fraud alert?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Apple is working on making this particular theft model harder to do.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/12/23998665/apple-stolen-device-protection-face-touch-id-icloud-account-vulnerability-ios-17-3-beta

Because so much of our lives is tied to our phones it’s a weird situation where “let me show you this funny picture” requires the same level of care as “here is access to drain all my accounts.”

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just watched this video, and at first I was thinking "this is dumb, don't give your phone and passcode to drug dealers (or anyone really), this is 100% the victim's own fault" and I do still believe that, but I was pretty shocked when they got to the part about the FaceID.

I don't feel like testing it out myself, but is it really true that if you change the Face stored in FaceID on your phone, any apps that use FaceID will immediately accept the new Face without any kind of re-authentication? Because THAT is nuts. I would think it would be super simple to make it so that a change in FaceID triggers any apps that use FaceID for login to require a password on their next login.

Face ID invalidation is an option when configuring use of biometry as a developer :rolleyes:

Some apps invalidate on new face, others go “eh whatever”

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dreesemonkey posted:

It’s no help, but I got a new Chase card (because the old one was expiring) last week. I activated the card, and did nothing else. After that the card still works through Apple Pay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, it really is that easy.

The reminder people forget about is the master / higher weighted password is your PIN code. So to change it, all you need is the pin , you change it, pick a new one, re map Face ID, and bam you’re done.

It’s also very easy to reset your Apple passcode like he says, because you know the pin, the phone assumes it’s the secure user using it, so when you go to iCloud and change password, just using the pin will let you reset it under change password.

I did it all the time in terms of helping the vast number of customers who never remember their passwords. It’s usually very easy now a days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

The old card is dead once you activate the new one, even if it hasn't expired yet.

The infrastructure exists for your card to be updated in Apple Pay automatically, but it's bank/card issuer dependent.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it really is that easy.

The reminder people forget about is the master / higher weighted password is your PIN code. So to change it, all you need is the pin , you change it, pick a new one, re map Face ID, and bam you’re done.

It’s also very easy to reset your Apple passcode like he says, because you know the pin, the phone assumes it’s the secure user using it, so when you go to iCloud and change password, just using the pin will let you reset it under change password.

I did it all the time in terms of helping the vast number of customers who never remember their passwords. It’s usually very easy now a days.
PIN has always been the weakest link in the chain. It hugely undermines the security benefits of biometric authentication to be able to use PIN as a backup. The real backup should be an alternative biometric authentication (bring back TouchID!) or some hugely cumbersome process, like visiting an Apple store or using a connected MacBook that has similar security safeguards.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

PIN has always been the weakest link in the chain. It hugely undermines the security benefits of biometric authentication to be able to use PIN as a backup. The real backup should be an alternative biometric authentication (bring back TouchID!) or some hugely cumbersome process, like visiting an Apple store or using a connected MacBook that has similar security safeguards.

Great point.

Backup to a connected computer of any sort unfortunately sounds nice, but wouldn’t be great since a lot of people just do not have a computer anymore (choice or affordability).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've been waiting for years for under-screen TouchID to make it's debut but there haven't even been any rumors about it in a minute. :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Great point.

Backup to a connected computer of any sort unfortunately sounds nice, but wouldn’t be great since a lot of people just do not have a computer anymore (choice or affordability).

It has to be choice, computers are basically free now.

Thinking of the nightmare iTunes is on our corporate laptops, just straight up broken as poo poo. We are 99%+ windows tho

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TouchID would solve maybe every problem that FaceID has. Use it without looking directly at your camera. Use it even if the camera is broken. Use it when you have a mask and shades on. But I think Apple would rather live with the security costs of PIN rather than the design and economic tradeoffs of new fancy hardware.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have to use TouchID a few times a week with other various devices and I hate it so much. It’s just hot garbage, slow, unresponsive and just a flaming turd. Never buying another TouchID device ever again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

It has to be choice, computers are basically free now.

Thinking of the nightmare iTunes is on our corporate laptops, just straight up broken as poo poo. We are 99%+ windows tho

Not trying to get into politics, but there is a significant portion of people in the US at least who can’t afford a computer, internet, etc, and to just say “computers are basically free” is honesty extremely short sighted. Insert all the dumb poo poo for the US on lack of social safety net and just everything on not looking out for poor people.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Not trying to get into politics, but there is a significant portion of people in the US at least who can’t afford a computer, internet, etc, and to just say “computers are basically free” is honesty extremely short sighted. Insert all the dumb poo poo for the US on lack of social safety net and just everything on not looking out for poor people.

I guess I’m just in a good state

https://www.pcsforpeople.org/locations/stpaul/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Computers are pretty easy to acquire free of charge, but internet isn't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Regarding all of the above: iOS 17.3 adds an increased security setting that makes it much more difficult to change things. Essentially you have to authenticate, then wait an hour and do it again before it will let you change any account passwords or anything. It also adds biometric auth to more things.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glad to see a non profit offering resources, I’m just saying I don’t anyone would be surprised that there is a gap of resources for a good portion of people in this country in terms of tech resources.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Changing your pin or FaceID should require your Apple password. Nobody is changing either enough that it would be an unnecessary hassle.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Touch id only makes sense on Mac

Having your notifications smartly unlock when you’re staring at your phone is too good

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah I should clarify, I want TouchID under glass back on the phone in addition to FaceID, not in replacement of FaceID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I wish I could keep a PIN for quick unlocking the phone where FaceID isn't happy, but use a longer password for almost all other cases.