Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

solarjetman posted:

Russ was interviewed today and said straight out that "they" (the Broncos, but unclear if it was Payton or Paton or a Walton or Condoleeza) threatened to bench him if he didn't restructure his deal to take out the injury guarantee, right after the win against the Chiefs: https://www.threads.net/@troy.renck/post/C1dRCdqL5qO

Thinking about this today; I can get my head around a week 17 benching after the season is mostly over but to try and pressure him to take a pay cut mid-season? After the biggest win the Broncos had in years? In a way that will likely get the NFLPA involved? I can't defend that. That's not just an rear end in a top hat move, it's an amateur move. Did they think Russell Wilson of all people was going to keep that quiet in the media? I really want to know how these decisions are being made - how much is Payton and how much is ownership.

It'll be interesting to see how hard they play against the Chargers.
That's not a good look. I mean won't really matter as they won't have cap to chase FA'S but woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think Payton gives a poo poo about Wilson’s contract and the fact that he didnt get benched immediately after makes me suspect it was Paton trying to save his job.

If he thinks he's the GM next year after Paton gets fired, he absolutely gives a poo poo. This is why it's so interesting to me, because there are so many ways it could have happened.

It's amazing to me that Paton is still in the building, given how much his big swing hurt the franchise - and how much contempt Payton clearly has for Wilson. I can't imagine Paton having any influence within the organization anymore. But I could definitely see him being asked to talk to Wilson about it, if ownership had been the one to make the decision. If ownership is making the calls, then Payton was probably told, "make him a franchise QB again or we're cutting him for financial reasons" or "either we're cutting him this year or we're sticking with him through '25 and you gotta win with him".

Wilson may not be a genius at reading defenses but he knows how to deal with the media; it's deliberate that he didn't name any names in his interview. Why wouldn't he? Meanwhile, Payton's interview yesterday had a lot of awkward pauses - he clearly wanted to say more than he did. Does that mean he doesn't like the idea? Or does he know that saying the wrong thing might get them in trouble with the CBA?

It's interesting to me because ultimately, whatever decision structure is behind all this or emerges from it, is going to be the one picking the next quarterback, figuring out how to field a roster with $85M in dead cap, and trying to develop a core with a shot at contention in 2026. Between the absurd multi-headed ownership group, the lame duck GM and the highly paid ambitious rear end in a top hat coach, there has to be some politics going on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

solarjetman posted:

there has to be some politics going on.

I suddenly got a little teary eyed remembering Hue Jackson and am very sad he isn't involved in some fashion.

His record speaks for itself as a coach, but one thing he was good at was office politics and selectively leaking things to friendly press.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

solarjetman posted:

If he thinks he's the GM next year after Paton gets fired, he absolutely gives a poo poo. This is why it's so interesting to me, because there are so many ways it could have happened.

Based on his time in NO I think Payton wants roster control and wants a GM that will do what he needs to with contracts to give him the guys he wants. But he doesn’t want to be the GM, he just wants a friendly one. The Saints were never assholes to players from a contract standpoint when he was there despite signing some real bad ones. They never asked anyone to give back money, they just cut them and dealt with it.

But I agree it’s going to be really entertaining seeing how the power plays shake out.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 30, 2023

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Personally, it feels like payton is doing an awful job as HC in Denver. Sounds like the Broncos need to cut him loose, but I think your old pals in nola would be willing to take him back off your hand for a measly 6th rounder. It's a pretty good bargain, for such an awful player hating coach.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sean Payton a couple of weeks ago posted:

There’s no approach. Honestly, and you guys know this, it’s a busy time of the year and there’s pressure on news media to be on top of potential stories, trade stories. The teams that aren’t doing as well always fall into this position, and I understand it, but we’re not the team looking to go out and buy. We can’t control the buyers that call. We always pick the phone up—you have to professionally, but that’s it. This doesn’t—we have a plan on where we see ourselves, and that’s an honest answer. When I see or hear things, I chuckle because I’m thinking, ‘Well I haven’t talked to anyone about that,’ and if I haven’t, then it’s probably not true.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Woke up feeling more mad about all this. Just let Russ play. He's proven time and again that he can ball. Not to mention, he's a pillar of the community. If our current ceiling is 8-9, draft receivers and/or o-line so we can do better! We're gonna be scrappy for years to come either way; what is the harm?

Go to hell, Broncos

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 30, 2023

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They’re doing all this to appease Payton who will be gone in two years anyway.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Payton should just Patrino his way over to the Chargers

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kull the Conqueror posted:

He's proven time and again that he can ball.

Has he? He’s proven that he can still sometimes make plays off schedule (especially if Courtland Sutton is there to do something miraculous) but he’s also proven that he will eat debilitating sacks, isn’t nearly as elusive as he once was, misses timing throws often and won’t throw over the middle.

Teams are getting Russ level production out of Baker Mayfield and Jordan Love. The best QB in the NFC is Mr. Irrelevant. The second best is Jared Goff. You don’t have to shackle yourself to a 35 year old faded star that almost everyone was convinced was completely washed last year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Payton should just Patrino his way over to the Chargers

We'll pass thanks

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I think Russ can clearly produce, but I also think it's clear he REALLY needs the right locker room and coaching environment. Like maybe he's higher maintenance than a lot of guys? But considering how valuable even decent-ish QB's are (and I think Russ has higher potential upside than most other QB's), if I were an owner (lol) I would take the extra effort to put the right coaching pieces into place to help him.

All this to say, Payton is clearly not the coach to do that, and I think that's by choice. I don't get the impression Payton has ever wanted to be that coach for him.

Unrelated, I think if the Chiefs implode over the next 5 years, and Andy Reid retires, I can easily see Mahomes becoming the next Russell Wilson, i.e. moving/trading over to a mid-tier team and having meme tiktokers post videos about whether he can score as many TDs as he has pairs of sneakers (he can't). I was all-in on Mahomes Magic, but it's obvious he needs all of the right pieces on the board or he starts yelling at people. Not great.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

That’s quite the take.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

I think Russ can clearly produce, but I also think it's clear he REALLY needs the right locker room and coaching environment. Like maybe he's higher maintenance than a lot of guys? But considering how valuable even decent-ish QB's are (and I think Russ has higher potential upside than most other QB's), if I were an owner (lol) I would take the extra effort to put the right coaching pieces into place to help him.

All this to say, Payton is clearly not the coach to do that, and I think that's by choice. I don't get the impression Payton has ever wanted to be that coach for him.

The fact that Russ’ production was replaced pretty much entirely by Geno Smith should tell you a lot about who he is now. He’s a 35 year old QB that wants to freelance, holds the ball forever, won’t throw over the middle, and takes too many sacks. He forced himself out of Seattle because he was mad that they weren’t letting him do what he wanted with the offense.

That’s what you’re going to get no matter who you put in place to coach him and there’s not an offensive coordinator or coach that’s worth a poo poo that wants to put up with a guy who won’t run the offense as designed unless they’re putting up MVP numbers, which he definitely is not.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Russ seems like an awkward dude, wonder if his team liked him?

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think the shift in defensive strategy towards taking away big plays hurts Russ, maybe as much as his athletic decline does. He's always been great at deep balls, especially improvised ones; I can't remember how many times he'd drop a moonball into Tyler Lockett's hands in Seattle. But if defenses are geared to take that away, and the only way to beat them is to throw short and intermediate passes over the middle, his game just doesn't work as well. He's scrambling better this year than last, and Sutton was making a career-highlight-reel catch every week for a while there, but it's not enough to get him where he was.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Strong “fool me once” energy with the way Russ left Seattle in retrospect.

Woke up feeling more mad about all this. Just let Russ play. He's proven time and again that he can ball. Not to mention, he's a pillar of the community. If our current ceiling is 8-9, draft receivers and/or o-line so we can do better! We're gonna be scrappy for years to come either way; what is the harm?

Go to hell, Broncos

You gotta be more subtle here.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Go to hell, Broncos

Finster Dexter posted:

Unrelated, I think if the Chiefs implode over the next 5 years, and Andy Reid retires, I can easily see Mahomes becoming the next Russell Wilson, i.e. moving/trading over to a mid-tier team and having meme tiktokers post videos about whether he can score as many TDs as he has pairs of sneakers (he can't). I was all-in on Mahomes Magic, but it's obvious he needs all of the right pieces on the board or he starts yelling at people. Not great.

😂

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

shut up Florios

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I will never apologize for wanting life to be more like a sports movie

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

As long as its Moneyball or Dodgeball then I'm in full agreement

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Broncos forfeiting a 1st rounder for screwing around with Russ's contract is the only fitting way for this saga to end.

Oh, and for all the pearl clutching the Broncos were eliminated today despite winning.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

The Broncos forfeiting a 1st rounder for screwing around with Russ's contract is the only fitting way for this saga to end.

There’s zero chance anything happens to them for asking Wilson to redo his contract.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Rashee Rice looks better every game. MVS should be fired into the sun, again.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Fat Jesus posted:

Rashee Rice looks better every game. MVS should be fired into the sun, again.

every time the ball heads in mvs' direction, you just know he's going to drop it. buttery-smooth hands. rice and pacheco kinda feel like the only real weapons atm.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Does anyone have a clip of the MVs drop, I heard it was very bad like usual

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Asking because I saw these on my timeline and needed to get in on the enjoyment

Also, I think MVS is my least favorite Chief since Phillip Gaines

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
His hands were why the packers let him go in the first place!!!! Why is anyone surprised!!!!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Y'all ready for Blaine Gabbert vs Easton Stick???????

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Chiefs never should have traded preseason superstar Ihmir Smith-Marsette

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The coaching staffs main goal next week should be to get Justyn Ross 15+ targets to see if he has anything for the offense in the playoffs. We don’t have a receiver who is worth taking the field after Rice and Watson.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

quote:

The letter by NFLPA attorney Jeffrey Kessler was dated Nov. 4 and was sent to the Broncos and the NFL’s management council.

“It has come to our attention that the Denver Broncos recently informed Mr. Wilson and his Certified Contract Advisor that if Mr. Wilson would not renegotiate his Player Contract to relinquish certain salary guarantees, the Broncos would remove him from the starting lineup,” the NFLPA wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post.
“If the Broncos follow-through on the Club’s threat, the Club will violate, among other things, the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Mr. Wilson’s Player Contract and New York law. And, we are particularly concerned that the Broncos still intend to commit these violations under the guise of ‘coaching decisions.’ ”

“Accordingly, we write to notify you that the NFLPA and Mr. Wilson ‘reasonably anticipate’ arbitration and/or litigation against the Broncos and the Management Council, triggering your respective obligations to preserve potentially relevant documents,” the NFLPA wrote.

Wow, neat!

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Pron on VHS posted:

Does anyone have a clip of the MVs drop, I heard it was very bad like usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zG2MuKqRI

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Midnightghoul posted:

Chiefs never should have traded preseason superstar Ihmir Smith-Marsette

Not wrong here

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://x.com/marshallkramsky/status/1741629150312477036?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This was the worst one but he had another go right through his hands on a deepish route later on. That would have been a harder catch, but literally right between his hands that did not close around the ball.

He was not this bad last year, he only occasionally bothered me rather than having me question why he is ever on the field. He was never a good hands guy, but he's evolved into having whatever the receiver version is of the yips. Which may have happened during a couple of seasons in Green Bay too, which is why they're all having a nice chuckle over it. When things start going wrong for him in a season they just seem to keep going wrong.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
MVS had a big performance in the AFCCG about a year ago. Over a hundred yards and a touchdown.

It’s up there with Dan Sorensen’s tackle saving a fake punt in the Texans 24-0 playoff game, Skyy Moores punt return, Toney’s punt return. Frank Clark’s postseason sacks to close out drives. poo poo players having huge postseason moments.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
What if Russell Wilson was white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Whoa you're telling me the Walmart people are committing labor crimes?

Sarcasm aside I'm glad the NFLPA is making a point of it.