Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On a whim, I've been trying some of the daily rep areas in SWTOR.

Ossus is a good one. It's convenient, mostly easy to navigate, and the dailies are quick.

Iokath is... none of those things, and I'm very glad I gave it a try on an alt with stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Iokath is quicker than Ossus by a mile once you learn how to do the dailies and what order to do them in. It's also 50k easy conquest points.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

You'll have to let me know how to do Iokath the efficient way, then, because as things stand I can definitely complete Ossus weeklies a lot quicker than the Iokath ones.

I wish Makeb dailies were still the way they were originally, though; I'd become quite adept at completing the Imp ones along with the GSI dailies. Easy and decent cash.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

You'll have to let me know how to do Iokath the efficient way, then, because as things stand I can definitely complete Ossus weeklies a lot quicker than the Iokath ones.

I wish Makeb dailies were still the way they were originally, though; I'd become quite adept at completing the Imp ones along with the GSI dailies. Easy and decent cash.

There is some RNG to it since each day has a different selection of dailies, but the general rule is to do the Empire side dailies as they're easier (both Republic and Empire can do them by switching alliance). Go to pick up the dailies. Once you get them -

1 - Do the turret one first if you get it.

2 - Go back to the starting area and do the dailies in the instance. If you have the "Disable emitters" daily you can disable the two in the first room, then go out and reset the instance to disable them again. In the instance go East and work your wway up basically counter clockwise.

3 - Do the "Kill X as Walker/Monitor/Mouse Droid". If you've got the tokens for them buy the buffs from the vendor.

4 - If you have Scouting Iokath, go to the northern point, from there you can scan 3 of the objects. Then go to the Eastern section to scan it.

5 - Go to the section with the plant cameras/disable heat vents/etc/missions.

6 - If you've got Scouting Iokath leave through the northern part and scan the building to the west

That should do it. Ignore the Collossus Droid daily unless you have a friend and ignore the Disable Republic Emitters that takes you to the opposite side. Overall shouldn't take more than 20/25 minutes.

I should do a video on them, I've got ones for a bunch of the other daily areas. .

Edit - I should say, 20/25 minutes with a stealther. Add another 5 or so for non stealth.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 16, 2023

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Thanks for the walkthrough, I'll give it a try sometime when I actually have a reason to do the Iokath dailies again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Thanks for the walkthrough, I'll give it a try sometime when I actually have a reason to do the Iokath dailies again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-J2WI9sSQQ

Will take a few to process but here's today's rotation done in about 17 minutes. Would have been shorter but it took me a minute to realize there weren't any extra quests in the instanced area.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

This snowball throwing thing is a little tedious. Good that there's nothing I'm really super craving from the vendor, I suppose.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I've been listening to some streams and video essays in the background while throwing snowballs at my companion, and found that a pretty effective way of reducing the tedium. Started at just under 70 parcels earlier this week, now I've got over 500 because why not.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auNt8R3pqdA

Here's the second Iokath rotation for you Sombrerotron.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

A friend of mine gave me a potential fix for the cameral control issues I've had with SWTOR basically since the game launched. And for the first time ever in ten years, it appears to actually loving work! It's surprising how much more fun the game is to play when moving the mouse doesn't occasionally swing the camera wild and spinning out of control.

The fix, if anyone cares, was simply to turn my mouse's polling rate waaay down when playing SWTOR. 125 Hz in my case, from a normal of like 1000 with other programs. It's weird, but it seems to do the job.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wg3SnVbBkE

And here's the third Iokath rotation for you Sombrerotron.

You better appreciate all my hard work.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Moreau posted:

Yah, they are cartel market specific, limited time only.

Speaking of pvp, 500 matches to go, woo!

It does feel as if something has changed in pvp meta since 7.4 - stuns feel a lot more common. Im spending a large amount of my time locked down, which is absolutely my personal bugaboo

Of course, this could just be confirmation bias, or Im being focused cos my gear is still 336... certainly seems more prevalent, tho.

my only issue with playing pvp is that a lot of folks are very salty about you being not as experienced as them. like dang im sorry i just got to level 80 and didn't even know about that pvp vendor or the tactical stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shard posted:

my only issue with playing pvp is that a lot of folks are very salty about you being not as experienced as them. like dang im sorry i just got to level 80 and didn't even know about that pvp vendor or the tactical stuff.

Someone once tracked me down in the fleet after a match (unranked, solo queue) to harass me for having bad gear (I was at the pvp vendor at the time)

I guess when you only have one thing going well for you in life you have to make a meal out of it

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Shard posted:

Was running a 3-man premade the other day. Queue into an Arena with a rando who starts talking about how it's his first 80 and first PvP match. We were against another very good premade.

First round he dies in about 4 GCD's then tells us "I didn't even get to press a button."

We still carried him to a win though. Unfortunately next match he went against us, that's him with the 0 damage, 0 healing, and 0 protection...

Guess he still hadn't learn to press buttons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Merry Christ-50% off collection unlock-mas!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wg3SnVbBkE

And here's the third Iokath rotation for you Sombrerotron.

You better appreciate all my hard work.
I mean, I do, but in fairness I neither asked nor suggested that you record any videos at all, let alone three.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

I mean, I do, but in fairness I neither asked nor suggested that you record any videos at all, let alone three.

Well you PM'd me saying to send you a video of me "having fun with myself, sloppy fun, I'm a bad boy"

Isn't that what you meant?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I was under the impression you had a billion of those already and wouldn't bother to produce any additional material. Also doing Iokath dailies is not my idea of sloppy fun.

That would be Oricon dailies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

I was under the impression you had a billion of those already and wouldn't bother to produce any additional material. Also doing Iokath dailies is not my idea of sloppy fun.

That would be Oricon dailies.

I really don't mind Iokath. The time to Conquest Points ratio is better there than a lot of places, and as you can see it doesn't take me more than 15 minutes to do the weekly.

It used to be a LOT worse when you had to do 10 missions for the weekly and only 7 dailies appeared per day.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Anyway here's a nice little post by Keith Kanneg about the last year, SWTOR's 12th anniversary ( :toot: ) and also a little bit about what's coming up:

quote:

With our next release in 7.4.1, we are doing something pretty cool in Galactic Seasons 6. The story and primary reward of the season will take you back to a location that you haven’t been to in quite some time, and it has quite a view.

As we look beyond 7.4.1 and into 7.5, we have some new things planned for our players. I checked in with Lane Vizla, and she thinks that her steady progress on the Basilisk War Droid Prototype could come to a meaningful conclusion (or new beginning?) around that time. I have so many more things I want to tell you about with the upcoming releases, and everything else we have planned for next year with story and events, but alas today is a celebration of our 12th anniversary. I wanted to make sure to leave you with a few nuggets to chew on over the holidays. When we get back from the holiday break, we’ll be preparing for a 7.4.1 livestream that we are tentatively scheduling for February 14th!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Also also also the super-shiny red and black dyes are on the CM now !!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Also also also the super-shiny red and black dyes are on the CM now !!

daddy

Piss And Shittium
Dec 20, 2023
Recently got back into the game after a good few months of not playing. Question on the expansions. Which one is meant to be best? I fancy trying one out after finishing with this current Jedi character.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone know the exact time the xp event starts on the 24th? Is it 7 am eastern 6 central?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Piss And Shittium posted:

Recently got back into the game after a good few months of not playing. Question on the expansions. Which one is meant to be best? I fancy trying one out after finishing with this current Jedi character.
I'm not sure if there's a real consensus on this, but I'd hazard to guess that most people would say Shadow of Revan (SoR). It's cohesive, has a pretty extensive prologue and epilogue, introduces various major characters that are used throughout the subsequent expansions, and is just solid in all respects really.

The prior expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel, is notable for having genuinely separate (though complementary) storylines for Republic and Empire and I like the way Makeb looks, but it doesn't have any significant bearing on subsequent expansions and the plot's not particularly exciting or inventive, so that's fairly safe to skip.

Whether you'll like KotFe and KotET will depend a lot on what you want out of a SWTOR story and if you're much into group content, but if nothing else their production values are very high - lots of dialogue, cutscenes, different and still quite good-looking environments. Regardless, you'll want to have played SoR before starting on KotFE (and KotFe before starting on KotET) - otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of context. That also applies to Onslaught, really, as it picks up where KotET left off and so incorporates a good deal of setup from the previous expansions.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 25, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I found the main problem with Makeb is you hit it at max level already and start getting exploration quests at the same time as you get story quests. It ruins the sense of urgency that the story is trying to build. Other than that it's pretty good on a replay.

Shadow of Revan is great if just for Rishi alone TBH.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Makeb I found boring and to have all the worst MMO time wasting tropes of pointlessly running long distances over confusing terrain with impassable cliffs on the 'obvious' path every time. The story was fine I guess but it never really grabbed me. Karagga's Palace is like /the/ introduction to operations and is pretty decent for what it is. If I never fight that droid instance boss in Toboro's Courtyard again it'll be too soon but that's not the fight's fault, it's actually pretty decent if you don't do it 1000 times.

Shadow of Revan is really great, Rishi is awesome and Ravagers and Temple of Sacrifice are both really great operations. I'm pretty sure it's the only expansion that, though it ends with an operation, offers a solo alternative that also provides a good satisfying culmination and resolution to the story. I really wish they'd done this with the other operation heavy arcs like the Dread Masters or the Machine Gods because a lot of people miss those stories because they don't really do Operations. But they're really great story arcs.

Ziost happens between Shadow of Revan and KotFE and I actually really really like Ziost. It does a great job of bridging the stories while also being largely self contained if you don't want to mess with the other stuff. It also has probably the best instance boss in the game in the Colossal Monolith, which is a really fun fight with interesting mechanics and is decently challenging.

KotFE was a genuinely fun story, just, prepare to kill a lot of drat skytroopers. Also this was the beginning of the design philosophy of 'gently caress stealth classes you /will/ fight these identical enemies every 20 feet' which was annoying, but I still really liked it the first time through.

KotET was more of a slog because it had all the poor design choices of KotFE and not as much charm, but I still enjoyed it. If you actually follow the Iokath story it culminates with Valley of the Machine Gods which is far and away the best operation in the game imo, and a good story too.

Onslaught was pretty fun and for some character classes seemed to tie up some old stories, and was about as graceful a backpedal as I think they could have managed from the attempt at moving away from the Sith/Republic factions. I guess the Dxun op fits in here even though it's not super related to the main story. Dxun/The Troubling Nature of Progress is a somewhat polarizing operation but one of my favorites. Very tongue-in-cheek silly overtones and mostly really interesting encounter design, and still quite challenging.

Whatever is going on now with the Mando arc I'm not super up on but what I've seen has mostly been a lot of feeling like a bit player in someone else's story which is pretty meh. I largely stepped away from raiding before the R4 operation was released so I don't know much about it but what little I've seen looked pretty engaging.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The problem with putting story in Operations is it's difficult to get started doing them. You can queue for an hour and never even know why you aren't getting a match, and if you don't find a guild that does them you are SoL. If you do find a guild thrn enjoy speedrunning them and mashing space through the cutscenes like Flashpoints-But-Worse.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Love how my current toon is looking

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Solid Sith look, to be sure. Did you actually buy the dye with CCs or credits, or did it pop out of a Cartel Pack? I like the new ones, but not quite enough to justify (directly) paying that much for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bit of a dumb question, but where's the conquest commendation vendor for the Republic? I didn't see one when looking through the Republic Fleet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Bit of a dumb question, but where's the conquest commendation vendor for the Republic? I didn't see one when looking through the Republic Fleet.

Look for the Supplies area. Top left of Imperial Fleet, bottom right of Republic fleet. The Conquest/Op/FP gear vendors are in the furthest to the right when you're looking directly at the section

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found them, thank you. Looks like the only meaningful thing to do is trade them for stabilizers or catalysts for better gear?

Disappointing that I can only get gear upgrades with them, but I'll make do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Found them, thank you. Looks like the only meaningful thing to do is trade them for stabilizers or catalysts for better gear?

Disappointing that I can only get gear upgrades with them, but I'll make do.

You can turn them into Tech Fragments which you can use to buy cosmetic stuff, including all of the endgame sets from 6.0 (they don't work past 75 but they have cool achievements and titles tied to them and some look cool).

You can also upgrade your Conquest gear up to 340 with them, which is of course overkill if you're not doing any difficult content. The general gearing path is to upgrade your Conquest gear so when you do raids and FPs you get drops of equivalent item rating but with better stat dispersal - but of course that doesn't make any difference if you're not playing VM/MM Ops.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

You can turn them into Tech Fragments which you can use to buy cosmetic stuff, including all of the endgame sets from 6.0 (they don't work past 75 but they have cool achievements and titles tied to them and some look cool).
Yeah, after getting your gear up to snuff you'll be wanting to save up on Tech Fragments so you can spend them on the various vendors in the room directly adjacent to the one with the gear vendors. One of the vendors on Ossus also trades decorations in exchange for Tech Fragments (plus credits).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Yeah, after getting your gear up to snuff you'll be wanting to save up on Tech Fragments so you can spend them on the various vendors in the room directly adjacent to the one with the gear vendors. One of the vendors on Ossus also trades decorations in exchange for Tech Fragments (plus credits).

And also the given of using Tech Frags to buy OEMs and RPMs to either make yourself augments or sell on the GTN for 20-30 million a pop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm currently spending my tech fragments buying cosmetic gear to play pretty space princess with my characters.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Well, as stated in the OP, that is SWTOR's true raison d'ętre.

Speaking of which, earlier today I discovered that the Light Devotee armour goes really, really well with the pearlescent red and metallic black dye. It gives the chest area and middle part of the robe this very unusual hue, sort of in the middle between red, purple and brown. Together with the light cloth parts, the stitching and more pronounced red shoulders, sides and back of the robe, you get this great contrast and a very stylish look:

It's too bad it requires not only a really expensive/rare dye, but also an armour set that you can only get with tokens you can no longer acquire and a character with at least Light IV to equip it. :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Dark Side armors look great with the metallic dyes too. I almost pulled the trigger on putting a dye in one but I'd put 70% of my characters as light sided so it would be a waste. =\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yup. Just waiting on the tech fragments to buy the gloves and complete this cosmetic set for my main.

Almost looks like a futuristic wedding dress. I doubt Nadia's gay romance will ever get any further content, but I'm putting this on my main and her for the foreseeable future because I think it's cute.