Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

General Bullshit posted:

Trying to figure out who those pitchers are based upon the IP.

The one on the left is Lance McCullers, Jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

E: oops, I was only looking at NL. It is James Shields

IcePhoenix posted:

The one on the right is easy to find since you can view league leaders in a single category by year it's James Shields

:lol: thanks. I was googling who threw those innings and search engines thought I was looking up IP addresses

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The one on the left is Lance McCullers, Jr

Oh wow didn't think of him but it fits.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm not sure why we're hiding Big Game James's light under a bushel.

Definitely one of my favorite instances of that meme.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Homer Bailey is the king of "how did this guy get paid so much money?" in my mind. When the Reds gave him that relatively big contract I was befuddled.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

N:
https://twitter.com/ShoTime_News/status/1740896976378741131

quote:

"Dodgers are considering acquiring Shota Imanaga, local report says, "Are they going to acquire three Japanese players?"
https://t.co/G33USKVoGX

[Candidate transfer destination]
  • Dodgers
  • Yankees
  • Mets
  • Red Sox
  • Giants
  • etc.
The contract is estimated to be worth $85 million over five years, with the potential to reach $100 million."

V: Giants gonna have to face Samurai Japan 20x a year smh

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Imanaga would be a bad idea for the northeast teams, except for the Mets I guess, the way the ball flies out of those parks

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Homer Bailey is the king of "how did this guy get paid so much money?" in my mind. When the Reds gave him that relatively big contract I was befuddled.

two no-hitters I guess

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

anakha posted:

N:
https://twitter.com/ShoTime_News/status/1740896976378741131

V: Giants gonna have to face Samurai Japan 20x a year smh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1741167151568888303

YEAH!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phew

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1741167662091088369

Go home, starting pitching free agent market, you're drunk.

that Erod deal to the dbacks is BY FAR the best contract of this offseason.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1741167662091088369

Go home, starting pitching free agent market, you're drunk.

that Erod deal to the dbacks is BY FAR the best contract of this offseason.

Think that'd actually be the Lugo deal, which made little sense for him then and even less sense now

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/jeffpassan/status/1741174548991553824?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boston actually got a good prospect for him? Wow

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This starting pitcher market is something else

We'll see how much money Atlanta is sending back but Glasnow at 4 yrs/110 million is continuing to look more and more like a steal

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Gotta assume Boston is paying pretty much all of the freight there.

All the same, looking forward to seeing what the Brewers get for Burnes

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Hmm. There goes the idea of platooning Kelenic and Grissom. Vaughn probably needed moving, never seemed to have the confidence of anyone but Wash and now he’s gone. Maybe Sale has a bounceback year in him but at the very least his option only vests if he’s in the top 10 for Cy Young voting and not hurt at year’s end

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:siren: WELCOME TO THE MOTHERFUCKIN DEAL ZONE :siren:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

O/U on 130 innings for Sale this year

Why would Atlanta do this lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Montgomery and Snell are gonna get like $350M aren't they.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nodoze posted:

O/U on 130 innings for Sale this year

Why would Atlanta do this lmao

lol, I'd bet the under on half that

Sydin posted:

I think stuff like this is happening because teams aren't even interested in engaging with Boras on those guys at the price he's asking and Boras is content to keep them holding out until April.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Eric the Mauve posted:

Gotta assume Boston is paying pretty much all of the freight there.

$17 million is the number I saw

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sale will be 35 by opening day 2024 and has thrown 151 IP this decade, and no that doesn't get a 2020 asterisk because he missed the shortened season recovering from TJS. If he reaches 100 IP I will be completely shocked.

Honestly I almost see it as a postseason gambit? Atlanta is already completely stacked and basically a lock to be playing meaningful baseball in October regardless of the condition of Sale's arm, but if he were to be healthy and effective for 3-4 postseason games it'd be huge.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Sale is about to tomahawk chop some throwback jerseys

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

Sale will be 35 by opening day 2024 and has thrown 151 IP this decade, and no that doesn't get a 2020 asterisk because he missed the shortened season recovering from TJS. If he reaches 100 IP I will be completely shocked.

Honestly I almost see it as a postseason gambit? Atlanta is already completely stacked and basically a lock to be playing meaningful baseball in October regardless of the condition of Sale's arm, but if he were to be healthy and effective for 3-4 postseason games it'd be huge.

The issue is that recently when he's pitched he hasn't really been that good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I'd be cool with the Cubs spending a bunch on Montgomery

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

The issue is that recently when he's pitched he hasn't really been that good.

The only thing that was bad this year besides the low IP was his ERA. All his peripherals and expected states were solid to elite, and he paired 11 K/9 with 2.5 BB/9. He's definitely not *Chris Sale* anymore but I'd definitely like him in a playoff game, particularly for shorter stints.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Sydin posted:

this is possible and thinking now it’s meant as a bridge to give Waldrep just a little more time at AAA, though he’ll probably be spot starting on the Gwinnett Express most of the season

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

thats exactly what it is, same approach the Dodgers have taken for years and continued this winter with Glasnow

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Atlanta is having the craziest offseason.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I don’t like this trade at all. Sale is a guy I wanted six or seven years ago, but he’s not helping now

How bad must the market have been for Grissom if this is the best they could do for him

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Yeah as a Braves fan, we will all rejoice if it works out, but hesitate to get behind it.

I think we all saw Grissom being moved to get a younger guy with a few years control, like a Cease.

Before all the Braves fan file in here let me be the first to remind them we aren't giving up any of the young pitching in the system.
It still looks like they are banking on some of them coming up and making a difference at some point.

Cease and other pitchers would have had been in trades that saw the Braves top prospects heading the other way.
In the end Grissom was a luxury who has shown all he can in the minors and needs somewhere to play everyday in the show.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'll take AA's word over my gut but seems like everyone knew they had little choice but to move Grissom and bargained accordingly.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sale must feel a need to be near his one true leader: Drake LaRoche.

LaRoche was last seen listed for Lawson State Community College in Birmingham, Alabama. He doesn't seem to have played any, though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

AA has generally been very good at self scouting and moving off prospects before the shine is gone.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grissom's bat should play perfectly fine in Fenway, it's just a matter of where you play him since short really isn't an option, but he'll do OK eventually at 2B and can maybe spell at 3B or LF

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
lmao I was just reading Baseball Prospectus and this is Kevin Alcantara's profile pic:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, for the red sox it's obvious, they'll give Grissom every opportunity to start at 2B unless he really proves he can't do it.

for the braves...I guess I get it, 17 mil up front + deferrals mean that apparently they're only on the hook for 500k in salary, and sale isn't going to be any worse than most of the idiots they threw out as a 5th starter last season, but man it feels more like a band-aid than like, a good solution to any of the team's real problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bregor posted:

lmao I was just reading Baseball Prospectus and this is Kevin Alcantara's profile pic:

I didn't think players needed to go to such extremes to get an inch or three added to their height...