Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The number 1 tip I got from those videos, and others on youtube, is to always look up and forward. Jumps, drops and corners all feel sooo much smaller when you aren't staring directly at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Agrinja posted:

Thanks much! Anybody have a rec for a good bike discord? I'm going to be doing a mix of the woods and my city.

https://discord.gg/zph4QGPw

It’d be a stretch to call it good.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Any Phoenix riders here? Have a recommendation for 3 days of riding 3-5 hours a day?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

abigserve posted:

The number 1 tip I got from those videos, and others on youtube, is to always look up and forward. Jumps, drops and corners all feel sooo much smaller when you aren't staring directly at them

Can confirm, and I still have to constantly remind myself to do it

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Agrinja posted:

Is Super Rider a good channel to learn from? Are there any good learning channels for fundies I am missing?

The a ride Series has some good fundamental videos:
https://youtube.com/@richdrewtherideseries?si=YDi1NETvA404IPcx

For jumps, this video helped me a lot:
https://youtu.be/s9w2zSvuaGM?si=NsBcCpzmCjTZqepg

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Figured out my problem with not having enough speed/clearing jumps on flow trails on my Megawatt. Took it into a suspension shop today and the shock is blown.

The shop said it's a known issue with the Fox Float X2 Performance Elite. Fox will replace it under warranty with a Fox Factory shock. Sucks but at least maybe I don't suck at riding as much as I thought. I'm heading to Texas to visit my inlaws next week and planning to hit Spider Mountain on the way. The suspension shop jacked up the pressure and compression so that I can limp it through so hopefully it holds up.

If anyone is running that shock, I'd keep an eye on it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got my dropper post setup and rode around for about 30 minutes, this kicks rear end.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Installed and did a short ride today with the Wolf tooth 360 dropper lever.

Took 5 minutes to install and works great.

Pretty nice not having to think about which direction to push the lever.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anyone have experience with copper-free disc brake pads?

ordered some from discobrakes after wearing through a set of stock resin pads in a season

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

ordered some from discobrakes after wearing through a set of stock resin pads in a season

I have never even heard of that but it's possible that shimano's metallic pads are some version of it. I've never used resin pads but if you're doing only XC stuff they're probably more than enough with the right rotor.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I've been using them for a couple years. Very happy with them. Trail riding and downhill park. My favorite quality is how they don't get noisy even in the wet

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Transmission is pretty nice guys. Flawless shifting under power is a game changer. No worries about shifting mid climb. Very easy to maintain cadence when you never let up.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I've been using them for a couple years. Very happy with them. Trail riding and downhill park. My favorite quality is how they don't get noisy even in the wet

Good to know, thanks

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So far I've been either driving my bike around on a car top carrier, or tossing it in the car itself. Its a hatchback so plenty of space for that.

Neither solution is great. The roof rack is a pain in the rear end to load onto and I'm always paranoid that I'll forget its there and drive into my garage with it loaded. Putting it in the car is both awkward and is slowly filling my car with dirt.

What every sensible person seems to do is use a hitch carrier that supports their bikes by the wheels. This solves all of my issues besides needing to buy a bunch of stuff.

Any recommendations for a 2 bike rack? I'll be mounting it to a Mazda 3 hatchback which is pretty low. In my quick research it seems like there's a threshold around $500 where all of the major brands offer a good option.

I also need to add a hitch to the car, which seems fairly straightforward. Is there any real advantage of a 2" hitch over a 1-1/4"? The larger size seems to be 2x the price but I doubt it offers any advantage for hauling bikes around.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Hitch mounts are the best! If you're not towing anything else, a class 1 or 2 hitch is 1.25" and will be fine for your bike rack.

I have a 1-up rack and it rocks. I also have an add-on rack, as well as the cargo carrier add-on. It works great for me, I usually just keep the 1 bike rack on the back and add on the few times I take a second bike with me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is there any real advantage of a 2" hitch over a 1-1/4"? The larger size seems to be 2x the price but I doubt it offers any advantage for hauling bikes around.

If all you're ever doing is hauling bicycles 1-1/4 should be fine. The only noticeable difference is torsion. If you get a few mountain bikes on a rack, it might twist and bounce more on the smaller hitch than on the larger. On either hitch you get, buy an inexpensive hitch tightener to keep things from bouncing around, especially on rough roads.

If you have a small car or small SUV, I would say just do a 1 1/4. If you have a decent sized SUV, I would personally go with the larger, especially if you might ever tow anything. I use a hitch rack for my dirt bike as well and it needs 2".

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 29, 2023

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I also need to add a hitch to the car, which seems fairly straightforward. Is there any real advantage of a 2" hitch over a 1-1/4"? The larger size seems to be 2x the price but I doubt it offers any advantage for hauling bikes around.

Check out etrailer.com for the hitch, I got mine from them years ago. I think you’ll want a Curt, I remember it was beefier. The old 2010 Mazda 3s were easy to add a hitch to, and the etrailer site should have videos or detailed instructions so you can decide if you want to do it yourself.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That's something I've been thinking about too, although I was looking at rockauto since that's where I've been getting most of my auto parts. They show these for the versa sedan & hatchback models but I've never installed a hitch before https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2017,versa,1.6l+l4,3435416,body+&+lamp+assembly,trailer+hitch,1212

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

So far I've been either driving my bike around on a car top carrier, or tossing it in the car itself. Its a hatchback so plenty of space for that.

Neither solution is great. The roof rack is a pain in the rear end to load onto and I'm always paranoid that I'll forget its there and drive into my garage with it loaded. Putting it in the car is both awkward and is slowly filling my car with dirt.

What every sensible person seems to do is use a hitch carrier that supports their bikes by the wheels. This solves all of my issues besides needing to buy a bunch of stuff.

Any recommendations for a 2 bike rack? I'll be mounting it to a Mazda 3 hatchback which is pretty low. In my quick research it seems like there's a threshold around $500 where all of the major brands offer a good option.

I have a kuat carrier and it's great. The new model is apparently even better!

It takes about 30 seconds for me to install onto the car now and that includes putting the lock and the bike on. It also includes an integrated bike stand!

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

A lot of the 4+ bike carriers only come in 2".

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yeah if you have or develop friends you want the 2”. The nice thing about the 1ups is they’re expandable; you can start with two and slap one or two more trays on. If your friends have the same model you can bolt them onto yours when driving together on trips.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Its not super necessary but if you have the option to get a 2" get a 2"

I could only get the smaller size for the WRX and its fine and i love the 1up rack and I know its not going anywhere but I'd like it to wobble less. I put on the wheel locks while traveling less for security and more to make sure the bike doesn't go anywhere just in case some latch fails.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

brand engager posted:

That's something I've been thinking about too, although I was looking at rockauto since that's where I've been getting most of my auto parts. They show these for the versa sedan & hatchback models but I've never installed a hitch before https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2017,versa,1.6l+l4,3435416,body+&+lamp+assembly,trailer+hitch,1212

etrailer has video on a 2016 install
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Nissan/Versa/2017/C11256.html?VehicleID=2017308196

Looks like you're cutting some heat shielding and grinding some frame out to put in the fasteners.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Uhaul is surprisingly cheap and generally competent at hitch installs.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

My RockyMounts Monorail has been great on the back of my 2012 Mazda3. It has just enough space from the hatchback to open it without contacting the rack.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the hitch rack feedback everyone, you answered pretty much all of my questions.

I'll probably end up with a 1-1/4" hitch and a 2 bike rack. I doubt I'll need to carry more than that and have no plans to tow anything. I've scouted the usual used parts options but these seem to either get resold for almost new prices, or are in terrible shape so I'll probably just get a new one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

in a well actually posted:

Uhaul is surprisingly cheap and generally competent at hitch installs.

They quoted me $500+ for my Rav4. Less than half what the dealer wanted I guess, but still not cheap by any means. Took me about an hour and $50 in tools I didn't have.

As for racks, I love my Kuat. I just got a single but it has an extension kit to convert it into a double if needed.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

They quoted me $500+ for my Rav4. Less than half what the dealer wanted I guess, but still not cheap by any means. Took me about an hour and $50 in tools I didn't have.

As for racks, I love my Kuat. I just got a single but it has an extension kit to convert it into a double if needed.

I looked up Uhaul and the install labor price was around $140. I watched the instructions on etrailer and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself in under an hour.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I looked up Uhaul and the install labor price was around $140. I watched the instructions on etrailer and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself in under an hour.

Having a lift is a huge advantage when your car is as low as a Mazda 3. If my local uhaul didn’t quote $350 for the install I’d have had them do it in a heartbeat. Well worth the hassle saved.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tacier posted:

Having a lift is a huge advantage when your car is as low as a Mazda 3. If my local uhaul didn’t quote $350 for the install I’d have had them do it in a heartbeat. Well worth the hassle saved.

The longest part to figure out for me will be ramps or borrowing jackstands. There's a self-service garage nearby that I've been meaning to try out. $50/hour for a lift and tools is cheaper than uhaul and safer than doing it laying on the ground at home.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My Camry required a small amount of cutting in the bumper plastic, but otherwise was very straightforward and dare I say, easy? Having a second set of hands is usually the most important part, as holding a heavy hitch while trying to get bolts started can be difficult.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nocheez posted:

My Camry required a small amount of cutting in the bumper plastic, but otherwise was very straightforward and dare I say, easy? Having a second set of hands is usually the most important part, as holding a heavy hitch while trying to get bolts started can be difficult.

Barring that, your tire jack can usually hold it in place pretty well after a bit of finagling. That's how I did mine.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The longest part to figure out for me will be ramps or borrowing jackstands. There's a self-service garage nearby that I've been meaning to try out. $50/hour for a lift and tools is cheaper than uhaul and safer than doing it laying on the ground at home.

I put the torklift ecohitch on my 3. Didn't really require getting under the car as you just pull the rear bumper off and bolt the hitch horizontally into the crash bar fastener locations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Hitting my first trail tomorrow, I got food, water, maps, tools, is there anything obvious I might be forgetting?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Agrinja posted:

Hitting my first trail tomorrow, I got food, water, maps, tools, is there anything obvious I might be forgetting?

Bike, helmet.

Forgot both of those once.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 1, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Boogalo posted:

Bike, helmet.

Forgot both of those once.

yahoo answers for "how do i be a trail runner"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cactus Ghost posted:

Better wear flats and not clipless, for one

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

Typo'd and showed up to the trailhead as a net runner with my deck instead of a bike, except this corps got fuckin ICE a mile thick and I'm going to need to do some serious tracelinking to even get into their mainframe, and that's provided I call in my last favour from my guy on the inside, gently caress. One last job they said.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Somewhere in that salad are the ingredients for a new thread title, but I can't quite piece it together meself.

Anybody going to the Sedona bike fest, on topic? I'm thinking about going with a neighbor I recently learned is very into that scene.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Welp. My Shimano Ep8 motor lasted 2 months in my Nukeproof Megawatt. Have to send it in for warranty.

I was riding yesterday, went through the smallest puddle imaginable and suddenly no assist and just a weird gear drive noise. Not positive it was from water, could have been coincidental but happened immediately after.

I'd read about problems with EP8s for guys riding over in Europe where it's wet more often. Pretty concerning for the long term. It's super fun but disappointing it broke like that. Hopefully a fluke and not an ongoing issue.