Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Great seems like one of those comics you have to read more than once to really appreciate. I'm not motivated to do that, but it was certainly an interesting ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah it was at least visually distinct from the sea of manga

Post a sea of manga you say?

MAJOR Chapter 3

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

I like how this is just his normal adult face on a tiny body

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Zen pencils apparently ended in 2018 and I like to think the response to his miyazaki comic made him quit

He quit?
Maybe he would have stuck with his dream if he'd seen an out-of-context inspirational quote from Ayn Rand or the Disney marketing dept. or something, pasted over a startlingly crummy image

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
zen pencils was good when it had all the text replaced with dril quotes, should have just leaned into that

also the one about the racist wrestler that had all the text replaced with "<slurs> and <other slurs> out of america," though I don't feel like looking up or posting that one

also thanks for posting Great, it was pretty ok

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I should sleep because it's 3am in the morning here, but tomorrow I'm def. goign to redraw the ramen guy pummeling people with bar stools in the style of zen pencils, because that's what sane balanced ppl do on new Years' Eve
Mybe splash a Margaret Thatcher or Elon musk or Goebbels quote over the top

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

I should sleep because it's 3am in the morning here, but tomorrow I'm def. goign to redraw the ramen guy pummeling people with bar stools in the style of zen pencils, because that's what sane balanced ppl do on new Years' Eve
Mybe splash a Margaret Thatcher or Elon musk or Goebbels quote over the top

I can't wait

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN

:stonklol:

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Thanks for posting great! It was an addictive story about a charismatic idiot!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

Let's wrap this up before the new year!

I have no idea what Axel is talking about in panel three. No, I don't understand!

"Chimère" can mean a "chimera" or an image from a dream, usually with the connotation of being a "pipe dream" or a naive illusion. I have left it untranslated because Chimeer is also Reemihc backwards, so I would have had to translate her name from the beginning as well.

Anyway, this wraps up the first of 32 albums in the Vagabond of Limbo series! I think the translation turned out pretty well given that I barely remember any French and have been leaning heavily on Google Translate. I haven't decided how long I'm going to keep this up, but I am curious to see what happens next myself.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Tiger, Tiger

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for translating Vagabond of Limbo! As I said, it's a strange bird, but I'm still following it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah it was at least visually distinct from the sea of manga

I try to keep the stuff I post as visually distinct as possible :shrug:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 42: Woman from Nagoya

I needed to post this scene in its entirety, it does so much for Hideyoshi's character.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 22: Yoshida, the Wizards and the Express Delivery

Madam Eight Eyes is a really bad person.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Emzedoh posted:

Thanks for translating Vagabond of Limbo! As I said, it's a strange bird, but I'm still following it.

I try to keep the stuff I post as visually distinct as possible :shrug:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 42: Woman from Nagoya

I needed to post this scene in its entirety, it does so much for Hideyoshi's character.

Yeah, Oda Nobunaga and Hashiba Hideyoshi really have a drive to conquer, their actions are part megalomania and part desire to end the Sengoku Era. I also really like looking up the various castles, places, and battles as we go so I can find out more about the era.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

With a couple of comics reaching an end, maybe time to post a new one. This reached the end of an arc recently, so it feels like a decent point to post up to!

Star Impact

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
why does the ship have boobs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Never saw a mothership before?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Incredible effort on the translation work. Well done. I've never seen anything like VoL before, with that mix of increasingly mad colour, classic line work, and extremely- hmm- 70s euro character design. Thanks for posting it!

Drakyn posted:

TBF herons are pretty much that anyways, a role shared with so many other long-legged long-beaked birds that enjoy killing and consuming smaller creatures.

Suddenly quetzalcoatlas makes a lot more sense

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Dec 30, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why doesn't every ship have boobs?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Captain Hygiene posted:

28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN
:stonklol:

That was a wild ride

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

With a couple of comics reaching an end, maybe time to post a new one. This reached the end of an arc recently, so it feels like a decent point to post up to!

Star Impact

I'm all caught up on this already, but keen for a reread!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, Oda Nobunaga and Hashiba Hideyoshi really have a drive to conquer, their actions are part megalomania and part desire to end the Sengoku Era. I also really like looking up the various castles, places, and battles as we go so I can find out more about the era.

Something that Hyouge Mono adds that I find really interesting is that Hideyoshi's drive to conquer is partially based on his insecurity and guilt from Nobunaga's assassination: "Imitation is fine, a monkey's imitation is fine".

Hideyoshi is definitely my favourite character in Hyouge Mono. He's a horrible person, ruthless and ambitious, but he's so lonely, so insecure and so surprisingly human sometimes. I plan to keep posting Hyouge Mono at least until Hideyoshi leaves the story which, uh, is a long time in the future!

Actually, speaking of samurai and manga with distinct art, I've been meaning post Takemitsu Zamurai (His Sword Must be Bamboo!) here. I missed the last change over chance because it had been so long since I last picked up the Dragon, the Hero and the Courier and also because I was worried posting two samurai comics at once would make me the samurai comics guy, but I feel like posting a couple pages right now - nothing connected, just some cool bits of art.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They appear to be some kind of adjustable landing pads, as seen in this earlier page.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Dec 30, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

lmao, yes. I hope to never be in an immorality contest with Doc Venture and Fortuna

Spirit Circle

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Zen pencils apparently ended in 2018 and I like to think the response to his miyazaki comic made him quit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

zen pencils was good when it had all the text replaced with dril quotes, should have just leaned into that

also the one about the racist wrestler that had all the text replaced with "<slurs> and <other slurs> out of america," though I don't feel like looking up or posting that one

TBH I thought he quit because of the dril quote edits.

drilpencils did not stop after this request.

God imagine what a Zen Pencils looks like in today's AI day and age.

DaveKap has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Dec 30, 2023

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tenebrais posted:

Star Impact

not sure what it is exactly, but this art style reminds me of shenanigansen's comics somewhat.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Surely somebody has saved the bootleg Zen Pencils comic with the "Every morning I wake up and open palm slam..." post.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Oh that is fantastic. I doubt Mr Pencils would appreciate the irony.

Meanwhile,

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Dec 31, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That style mimicry is pretty spot-on, Tree Bucket!

Anyway,

PERFECT DISMISSAL
"TOTAL JOB OBLITERATION"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nm

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 12: Secret Ingredient

I think this was a missed opportunity for Ootsuki to get piledrivered spear tackled by his nostalgia-mother, but it's hilarious how distraught he is about it. Use a spoon next time, were you raised in a barn?!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Tree Bucket posted:

Meanwhile,

Haha, for some reason the end of Great also made me think of K6BD and how Lyle will never attain true royalty, but Yukiko has, despite having not sought it.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

This is incredible. I could have easily believed this was actually drawn by the Great artist whose name I cannot recall at the moment.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

not all the text

the newspaper was edited to
ULTIMATE WARRIOR DIES
xxxx and Muslims still in America

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Calexio posted:

This is incredible. I could have easily believed this was actually drawn by the Great artist whose name I cannot recall at the moment.

I cheated; I left most of the image as it was and just added beards and hats and stuff.
(Phase two is finding other fan artists and pummeling them w/ bar stools)

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What was the slur

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fantastic panel.

Also, loved Great. Thanks for posting it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Fagtastic posted:

What was the slur

Your username

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

not all the text

the newspaper was edited to
ULTIMATE WARRIOR DIES
xxxx and Muslims still in America

that was truly the best drilpencils page ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Meanwhile,

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Dec 31, 2023