Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I’m more inclined to think the display cable is going than the GPU itself - unless it’s triggering a crash or recovery that’s logged in the process, it sounds more like the signal to the display is being garbled in transit, then it manages to sort itself. Which could be an easier fix, unless the urge to splurge is growing too mighty to resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Data Graham posted:

Work got my 14" 2015 MBP back with most of an Aviation in it. It was running all gummy :iiam:

I'm sure they didn't look inside

I was on good terms with internal IT, so I just returned the gin soaked Thinkpad and got a new higher spec one with no questions asked.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Hasturtium posted:

I’m more inclined to think the display cable is going than the GPU itself - unless it’s triggering a crash or recovery that’s logged in the process, it sounds more like the signal to the display is being garbled in transit, then it manages to sort itself. Which could be an easier fix, unless the urge to splurge is growing too mighty to resist.

Well the urge to splurge is strong, but mostly because this thing is too old to run the latest software I want it to run. But.... I'm pretty handy, is this something I can fix myself? Maybe I'll try to take a pic next time it happens.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

moon demon posted:

Well the urge to splurge is strong, but mostly because this thing is too old to run the latest software I want it to run. But.... I'm pretty handy, is this something I can fix myself? Maybe I'll try to take a pic next time it happens.

Probably fixable yourself, assuming it's just a bad display cable and you can source the part and the cable isn't permanently affixed at one end (I think that last one is true for some model years?). Look up yours on ifixit and see if they have a procedure, they might sell the relevant part too.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Got a 16" M3 Max MBP as an upgrade from my 16" 2019 i9. Holy shitballs, what an amazing machine! :tviv:

I've moved in and everything's peachy, except for one weird thing. Bluetooth pairing with my Samsung soundbar (Q900T) doesn't quite work. The soundbar doesn't recognize that the Mac paired with it and sits there in BT Ready mode until it times out, while the Mac is playing music through it. No further firmware is available for the soundbar, and I've reset the Bluetooth config on the Mac and tried one suggestion of renaming the Soundbar to remove special characters, which didn't work. My old Mac pairs just fine with it, and the new Mac has no issues with any other BT devices, such as my mouse, keyboard, and even another speaker. Has anyone run into this? I suspect I'm SOL until someone releases an update to something.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So today I noticed that my 14” MacBook pro has a small dent in the screen in the area where it meets the palm rest and it’s driving me mad. I guess a hard piece of dust got in there and thats all it took. Is there a cheap way to fix this? I almost want to buy a fancy new M3 but then Id be worried about it happening again with that one

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

hatty posted:

So today I noticed that my 14” MacBook pro has a small dent in the screen in the area where it meets the palm rest and it’s driving me mad. I guess a hard piece of dust got in there and thats all it took. Is there a cheap way to fix this? I almost want to buy a fancy new M3 but then Id be worried about it happening again with that one

I spent about five months obsessively reading and watching every review available before finally deciding to upgrade my 2014 MBP to a 16" M1 Max.

About a week later, it slipped out of my carrying case and smacked into the wet asphalt of the hotel parking lot I was rushing through, getting pretty scuffed up in the process.

Have you ever taken time to appreciate the Buddhist practice of sand mandala?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hatty posted:

wait, a dent on the glass?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah like someone pressed a pen tip into the screen and the glass dented. Its not cracked but theres a black dot on my screen now that wont go away. Seems like a common issue online

E: took a pic

hatty fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 11, 2023

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

hatty posted:

Yeah like someone pressed a pen tip into the screen and the glass dented. Its not cracked but theres a black dot on my screen now that wont go away. Seems like a common issue online

E: took a pic

That's probably dead pixels on the LCD itself from an impact (in addition to the glass being damaged) so you'll likely need a whole new screen assembly to get it fixed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If it's a physical dent in the screen made from
outside you'll be able to feel it. If you can't feel it it's dead pixels.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can feel it on the outside. The palm rest and the screen seem a bit too close together when closed I suppose. Guess I should be more careful in the future but it took two years to happen so I’m not that mad at myself

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are you not allowed to add AppleCare to a refurb that was purchased outside of the Apple refurb store? Despite it being purchased outside of Apple, it did arrive in standard refurb packaging & Mac box. It is an M1 Pro MBP, so it's a few years old, but is still under limited warranty until April 2024.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Splinter posted:

Are you not allowed to add AppleCare to a refurb that was purchased outside of the Apple refurb store? Despite it being purchased outside of Apple, it did arrive in standard refurb packaging & Mac box. It is an M1 Pro MBP, so it's a few years old, but is still under limited warranty until April 2024.

specifically i think it's that you can't add applecare to a computer that is relatively new* or that doesn't have applecare. you can't add it to a computer that hasn't been under applecare otherwise

* 2 months altho some countries (like canada i think) have laws requiring letting you get it up to a year

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Splinter posted:

It depends but you can call them and they might add it for you over the phone. I’ve done that a few times when the website wouldn’t let me add it. They might ask for a sales receipt but I’ve had good luck with that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone done a trade-in of a laptop in person at the Apple Store? I'm wondering if you order a laptop that's backordered/weeks out, do they take the trade-in immediately, or let you use it until the new laptop arrives?

I know from past experience when the trade-in is online, they wait till the new one shows up, but wasn't sure how the in-person process works.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Has anyone done a trade-in of a laptop in person at the Apple Store? I'm wondering if you order a laptop that's backordered/weeks out, do they take the trade-in immediately, or let you use it until the new laptop arrives?

I know from past experience when the trade-in is online, they wait till the new one shows up, but wasn't sure how the in-person process works.

I haven't actually done this kind of trade-in personally, but my understanding is they don't do the appraisal or anything in store, they just box it up and ship it for you. So I'd imagine they would let you keep it until the new one arrives and then take it, or just give you the shipping/packing materials to send it off yourself.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

I had the trade-in partner send my laptop back as “not as described” and it came back filthy when I’d sent it in pristine condition. Took it to the Apple Store to explain what happened and they took it there and cut me a paper check.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/-avvblpYNSo?si=Pn-JxfI3zZG8Ah69

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone have the Thunderbolt to FireWire dongle they no longer use? Looking to buy one for a reasonable price and the internet isn’t helping. One on Amazon went sold out by the time I decide I wanted it, and lots online seem to be incorrectly labeled dongles for other purposes. I just want to move my DV deck from an old 2012 native FireWire machine!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m almost sure I have some but I’ll have to look when I’m back from holiday travel after the 1st.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I think I might have one too, so I'll take a look.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks both, it's much appreciated.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

cdc posted:

This morning I managed to destroy my 3 month old 15" M2 air by pouring coffee on it...

Luckily my insurance covers that kind of lack of motor skills, so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a space black M3 14" MBP which was in stock at a local store.

All hail the space black!

So this M2 Air I spilled coffee on (about half a cup directly into the keyboard) had just been sitting in a corner being completely dead for almost a month. Every other day I tried pressing the power button, but it was just a brick. I had considered either selling it for parts, or just taking it apart for fun.

Then today I thought, what would happen if I plugged it into power? So I did, pressed the power button and it sprang into life!

The YouTube video I was watching back when the accident happened resumed playing and everything on it just seems to work. All the keys are fine, the trackpad is fine, the battery is fine. Everything seems to work 100%

WTF?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Magic coffee

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've had to do repairs on M1/M2 Airs, all I can say is that liquid spillage is like in the top 3 causes of user damage and Apple has done a lot to make sure that the keyboard assembly is sealed off from the rest of the machine, so that even though your keyboard might get soaked there's membranes in place to insure as much as possible that leaks won't get past the keyboard.

Leaks could still get in from the USB ports, rear air vent, side air vents.. but Apple has made as sure as it can that nothing will leak straight down through the keyboard and onto the logic board short of being caught in 10000m below sea level in a poorly made submersible.

It's possible that if you had your coffee black that it all managed to dry out, but I'd bet there's likely some keys that won't register or malfunction eventually..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 27, 2023

cdc
May 28, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I've had to do repairs on M1/M2 Airs, all I can say is that liquid spillage is like in the top 3 causes of user damage and Apple has done a lot to make sure that the keyboard assembly is sealed off from the rest of the machine, so that even though your keyboard might get soaked there's membranes in place to insure as much as possible that leaks won't get past the keyboard.

Leaks could still get in from the USB ports, rear air vent, side air vents.. but Apple has made as sure as it can that nothing will leak straight down through the keyboard and onto the logic board short of being caught in 10000m below sea level in a poorly made submersible.

It's possible that if you had your coffee black that it all managed to dry out, but I'd bet there's likely some keys that won't register or malfunction eventually..

Yeah, it was black coffee. All the keys work and nothing seems sticky or anything. But I'm obviously not gonna trust this thing to keep working.

If it does fail is getting a keyboard replacement something that's possible and worthwhile?

cdc
May 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Magic coffee

So what you're saying is that coffee made it better.

Hold my beer, gonna try something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cdc posted:

So what you're saying is that coffee made it better.

Hold my beer, gonna try something.

Isn’t beer the next thing to try?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Beer being a downer will counteract the coffee which is an upper. tis basic chemistry

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Someone find an old school Four Loko and unceremoniously dump it on their MacBook.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone have the Thunderbolt to FireWire dongle they no longer use? Looking to buy one for a reasonable price and the internet isn’t helping. One on Amazon went sold out by the time I decide I wanted it, and lots online seem to be incorrectly labeled dongles for other purposes. I just want to move my DV deck from an old 2012 native FireWire machine!

You'll probably also need a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 dongle. You can get the Apple 3-to-2 dongle a lot cheaper than new on ebay, but it looks like the TB2-FW800 dongle is expensive there now.

Another option might be a TB dock with a Firewire port, but I think all the docks with that feature were TB2 and are no longer made, so you'll face the same issues with finding a cheap one.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I had both a FW > 1/2 (DP) and a 1/2 > 3/4 (USB-C) to get my old FW audio interface working with AS Macs, but I can't for the life of me remember where I put them when I got a new interface.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

cdc posted:

Yeah, it was black coffee. All the keys work and nothing seems sticky or anything. But I'm obviously not gonna trust this thing to keep working.

If it does fail is getting a keyboard replacement something that's possible and worthwhile?

Thanks to the pursuit of thinness, for the last 10 years or so Apple laptop keyboards have not been designed to be separable from the aluminum top case. They're extremely thin and flimsy and are permanently riveted onto the aluminum case to give them structure. If you take it to a fruit stand they can quote you the number for a top case replacement. It is an expensive part because typically the battery is also glued to it, so really you're getting three components in one and you have to apply the Apple tax.

IIRC the M2 air might not actually glue the battery down anymore, but if it still does, sometimes you can sweet talk the genius bar into quoting you the job as a battery replacement. Apple heavily discounts the topcase+KB+battery part when you do it as a battery service as otherwise, the price to replace a worn out battery would be way worse than the ordinary Apple tax.

cdc
May 28, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Thanks to the pursuit of thinness, for the last 10 years or so Apple laptop keyboards have not been designed to be separable from the aluminum top case. They're extremely thin and flimsy and are permanently riveted onto the aluminum case to give them structure. If you take it to a fruit stand they can quote you the number for a top case replacement. It is an expensive part because typically the battery is also glued to it, so really you're getting three components in one and you have to apply the Apple tax.

IIRC the M2 air might not actually glue the battery down anymore, but if it still does, sometimes you can sweet talk the genius bar into quoting you the job as a battery replacement. Apple heavily discounts the topcase+KB+battery part when you do it as a battery service as otherwise, the price to replace a worn out battery would be way worse than the ordinary Apple tax.

Ok, thanks. Since I got a new M3 MBP I don't really need the Air now, so I think I'll just see how it survives for now.

cdc
May 28, 2007

hatty posted:

Beer being a downer will counteract the coffee which is an upper. tis basic chemistry

I have currently suspended myself and the MacBook Air in a solution of coffee and cheap whiskey. This is slightly complicated, but I feel confident that I'm making progress.

Will report back once I solve the problems around power and breathing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BobHoward posted:

You'll probably also need a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 dongle. You can get the Apple 3-to-2 dongle a lot cheaper than new on ebay, but it looks like the TB2-FW800 dongle is expensive there now.

Another option might be a TB dock with a Firewire port, but I think all the docks with that feature were TB2 and are no longer made, so you'll face the same issues with finding a cheap one.

Ah, this machine is only TB2 so it removes having a second dongle hanging there at least. I’ve looked at the docks but they also seem rare, expensive, a bit battered and often missing their power supply (and ideally I don’t wanna eat up another plug).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

I remember on PowerBooks it used to be possible to remove the keyboard but it was held in by a dozen microscopic screws.. wound up ordering a handful

quote:

M1 MBA uses the same battery as the Intel 2020 MBA and needs glue strips and the iPhone hydraulic press to install; M2 Air, Apple welds the battery back to the top case.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is 300mbps on iperf3 a respectable wi-fi speed on an M1 Macbook air on Wi-fi 6, sitting next to the access point? Had to replace my router because it was failing and I realised I have no idea what realistic expectations are for wi-fi at this point. My iphone 15 gets ~600mbps on iperf3 but the specs say it has 2x2 MIMO so I guess it makes sense it'd be twice as fast?

Not expecting to get the full link speed or anything, I just want my SMB transfers to be as fast as possible. They always feel so weirdly laggy to start for one

e: access point is a TP-Link EAP610

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Got an M3 Max 40 core gpu version and it gets 30 fps in Dominions 5, not sure where all the social media hooting about how it rivals a RTX 3080 comes from.