Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Athas posted:

Well, that's the main part I'm criticizing, since the lore is made up. It should be made up differently. It's cool in a comic book way for your transhuman super soldier to be be over a head taller than an ordinary soldier, and impossibly broad-chested with a heroic physique, but it starts getting silly when each level of power (marine -> primaris -> custode -> primarch -> emperor) adds another third of a metre. A four meter tall emperor doesn't look visually cool; it looks silly in context, and raises all kinds of awkward questions. What, do people talk to his nuts? A terrifying power armored man having to bow as he menacingly enters the home of a normal human is a cool visual, but a giant having to crawl on his hands and feet because he won't fit otherwise is not. Look at this poo poo.

I am aware that the Emperor is probably not actually all that large, at least not all the time, and that it's magical trickery, but there's no reason to think the others are not physically as large as they are explained to be. And since my complaint is about the visual impression of things, the God Emperor of Mankind who designed all this stuff should have realised that it looks silly.

I should note that it's fine for Orks and the like to follow the logic of stronger=bigger, since their visual style and societies are very different.

I think it's an issue of degrees in some ways, but I mostly agree with you. I have no problem with there being a difference in size between a marine and a Custodes, for instance. But I do think one of the least interesting aspects of 40k visual design since the HH novels and now the reintroduction of primarchs in miniature form is that the primarchs tower over marines and custodes. I think the power difference between them and a marine is infinitely more interesting when their statures are closer together, and that the mad science and technology etc that went into their creation would be better evoked in the story and the rules that way as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

moths posted:

I haven't! I got about 60% through their trilogy but

wore me out beyond all expectations.

Is Luther:FotF a good read?

What’s the DA trilogy? I’m unemployed and listening to dumb novels about space marines while’s away the time spent painting them

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

IIRC it's Descent of Angels, Fallen Angels, and Angels of Caliban.

Although according to Gav Thorpe it's:

Descent of Angels – Leman Russ: The Great Wolf – Call of the Lion – Fallen Angels – Savage Weapons – Grey Angel – The Lion – Prince of Crows – Cypher: Guardian of Order – Master of the First – Unremembered Empire – By the Lion’s Command – Angels of Caliban – Ruinstorm

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

moths posted:

IIRC it's Descent of Angels, Fallen Angels, and Angels of Caliban.

Although according to Gav Thorpe it's:

Descent of Angels – Leman Russ: The Great Wolf – Call of the Lion – Fallen Angels – Savage Weapons – Grey Angel – The Lion – Prince of Crows – Cypher: Guardian of Order – Master of the First – Unremembered Empire – By the Lion’s Command – Angels of Caliban – Ruinstorm

lmao I had to force myself to finish descent of angels no loving thanks

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I'm currently listening to The Fall of Cadia by Robert Rath (yay for more Trazyn) but man, I hate the narrator (Mark Elstob) so goddamn much. He makes the Cadians sound like a mixture of Scottish and Jamaican, all female characters sound like they're 800 year old crones, and Trazyn sounds like I don't even know what. I am enjoying the story but this guy is making it so tough. One of the few bad narrators I can recall from BL books.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Shoehead posted:

I've a fully assembled Inquisitorial team that I won't paint until I nail fleshtones and I keep adding weirdos to it. This guy is gonna need a lot of work to get his space helmet to fit the AOS Marshal's helmet holding arm properly..I feel like I had it in play for a second and then the greenstuff shifted a bit and it looks crazy

Making teams of weirdos is the best! I kitbashed proxies for my Rogue Trader kill team and it was a blast.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I got a broadside for christmas! Painted it over the past few nights

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Gaussian posted:

I'm currently listening to The Fall of Cadia by Robert Rath (yay for more Trazyn) but man, I hate the narrator (Mark Elstob) so goddamn much. He makes the Cadians sound like a mixture of Scottish and Jamaican, all female characters sound like they're 800 year old crones, and Trazyn sounds like I don't even know what. I am enjoying the story but this guy is making it so tough. One of the few bad narrators I can recall from BL books.

Och Irie!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Why are Brutalis Dreadnoughts so much fun? I think it's my new favorite distraction carnifex, especially in Firestorm so it's got Assault and S10 meltas.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m painting my BA successor with the BA colours inverted (black with red details), and their badge is the BA logo in blue so it’s a tear drop (so I can be lazy and use the upgrade kit pads instead of free handing or decals :v:) Anybody got any good Fei dark names for a chapter of sadbrains angels?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m painting my BA successor with the BA colours inverted (black with red details), and their badge is the BA logo in blue so it’s a tear drop (so I can be lazy and use the upgrade kit pads instead of free handing or decals :v:) Anybody got any good Fei dark names for a chapter of sadbrains angels?

Sleve Micdichael
Onson Sweemy
Darryl Archideld
Anatoli Smorin
Rey Mcsriff
Glenallen Mixon
Mario Mcrlwain
Raul Chamgerlain
Kevin Nogilny
Tony Smehrik
Bobson Dugnutt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Can anyone recommend some models that would make for good Not-Mordians? I was thinking of looking into historicals for them but I'm not sure what era I would be looking for.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can anyone recommend some models that would make for good Not-Mordians? I was thinking of looking into historicals for them but I'm not sure what era I would be looking for.

Victoria Lamb makes so really good ones.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Wargames Atlantic Grognards are space napoleonics. If you want peaked caps to go with them Anvil Industry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you've got access to 3d printing, the Noctern Iron Guard look better than the real thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Victoria Lamb makes so really good ones.

Z the IVth posted:

Wargames Atlantic Grognards are space napoleonics. If you want peaked caps to go with them Anvil Industry.

moths posted:

If you've got access to 3d printing, the Noctern Iron Guard look better than the real thing.

:tipshat:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Bobson Dugnutt

Imagine this model:
4rh Company Captain Bobson Dugnutt of the Blood Angels Errant Chorus successor chapter, assisted by his loyal sword polishing servitor Tugnutt.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hmmm, maybe Horus was right.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Looks like Bryan Ansell died today; RIP.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just found a model worse to put together than the Necron Flayers. The Necron Illuminor Szeras. What a pain in the rear end that kit was.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Looks like Bryan Ansell died today; RIP.

huh, I wonder how long wargames foundry will outlive him

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 30, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Xpost from Mini Painting thread.

Captain Magic posted:

I painted a bunch of miniatures this year. I counted a few times; I think it was around ~220 if you don't count the magnetized weapons as separate things. Buncha phone photos incoming.

Here's everything:

Here's some closer shots:

Fun comparison: here's everything I painted from January-March, before I started taking anxiety meds (Kragnos, three terrain pieces, and two underworlds squads):

Obviously I had more time to do the rest, but uh, medicine works!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I think this guy is ready to get all his gaps greenstuffed

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A little late to the replies, but Wargames Atlantic's historical WWI British Infantry kit and sci-fi Death Fields Bulldogs kit will get you soldiers with peaked caps, although the uniforms don't have quite the same dress uniform flair as the proper Iron Guard design.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I frikin hate this lovely sisters of silence kit, parts just outright don't even fit.

Edit: Oh wait it's just the loving manual misprinted again thanks to wonderful games-workshop quality control.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 31, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Every time I see the Perry bros Franco-Prussian War Prussians plastic kits I want to convert them into Mordians. The arms aren't cast on, it would be so easy.

Please do that so I don't have to.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/prussian-infantry-advancing-pru-1/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Not all heroes wear capes, some have mullets

https://x.com/Sughammer/status/1741198856371478894?s=20

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

Not all heroes wear capes, some have mullets

https://x.com/Sughammer/status/1741198856371478894?s=20

I didnt know GW consorted with southerners

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

titty_baby_ posted:

I didnt know GW consorted with southerners

it was 1987, this was just a normal way to look for a huge nerd

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/31/sunday-preview-prepare-to-enter-the-world-of-legend/

The first pre-orders for the new year is a Made to Order for a bunch of classic models.

Then there's a couple of older Forge World models getting the same treatment.

quote:

A host of resin miniatures originally released by Forge World will also be available on Made to Order. Space Marine commanders can add a range of resin heroes to their armies, including Lugft Huron, Chapter Master of the Astral Claws, from before he fled into the Maelstrom. You’ll also find Sevrin Loth of the Red Scorpions along with his Honour Guard (not pictured), and more Red Scorpions in the Regents of the Ordon Rift, comprising Casan Sabius and Sirae Karagon, complete with a diorama base. The Land Speeder Tempest, meanwhile, will add some fast firepower to any Space Marine collection.

Necron Overlords can enhance their forces with some seriously heavy firepower in the form of Necron Sentry Pylon armed with a terrifying death ray, as well as a set of singularity generators – a weapon option for the Seraptek Heavy Construct.

All of these items will be available from the 6th January, and are Made to Order, delivered within 180 days

Oh, and The Old World is no longer vapourware. :cheeky:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of the preview, they're doing rules for a Vanguard Space Marines Combat Patrol in the next White Dwarf.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
man, that necrosphinx looks so much better than the bone dragon

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

xpost from painting thread

Nazzadan posted:

Year in review for the thread(s) that keep me improving and going with all the great models you post. Roughly in order:
Chosen squad and a Noise Dread

Master of Possession and a Dark Apostle and his Liddle Guys

Multi Legion Kill Team

Traitor Guard squad

Termies

Raptors

Warp Talons (finished the last 2 today)

In 2024 I'm going to set aside more hobby time so I can start a second army, and invest in a better photography setup. Happy new year Painting thread

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Might as well show off my last model of 2023, and coincidentally my first completed one for 2024 once I get my Cannon Fodder 2 box.

Although in hindsight I shouldn't have removed the slight extensions on the inside of the shoulders, because after I did that the form fitting was a lot less better. Thankfully you barely notice it unless you look at it from the back.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sleve Micdichael
Onson Sweemy
Darryl Archideld
Anatoli Smorin
Rey Mcsriff
Glenallen Mixon
Mario Mcrlwain
Raul Chamgerlain
Kevin Nogilny
Tony Smehrik
Bobson Dugnutt

Man you can't post that list of names and not link the video.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Xpost from painting thread
I've been getting into mini painting for the first time since high school and dang, time and patience have really helped me improve. Just finished this squad of Adrax Agatone and Bladeguard Veterans for the Dark Krakens chapter for a monthly painting competition and I'm quite happy with them.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I put warhammer on hold until the last part of this year, so here's all the models I did in 2023. Looking to do many more next year!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cooked Auto posted:

Might as well show off my last model of 2023, and coincidentally my first completed one for 2024 once I get my Cannon Fodder 2 box.

Although in hindsight I shouldn't have removed the slight extensions on the inside of the shoulders, because after I did that the form fitting was a lot less better. Thankfully you barely notice it unless you look at it from the back.

Niceee, I got two pairs of those arm and never got them to fit on a torso so I'm a bit jealous

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I still have three more. :v:
At first I was going to use the one with the flashlight, but it never really looked right so I went with the more casual lowered one instead.

I was afraid it wasn't going to fit and there'd be a large gap between the arms and the torso, or it'd be too small because that's also a thing nowadays. But surprised how well it fit, slightly less after I sanded it down the rings, but even then not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/01/celebrate-this-years-store-anniversaries-with-a-fyreslayer-and-a-tau-empire-ethereal/

Another store anniversary reveal that isn't space marine related. Truly they must be going mad. /s