Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
You see, he isn't approving the sale of arms to a genocidal state, he is merely making a legal sale of arms to a genocidal state. This is better somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why don't young people like the guy who said he has no empathy for them

UM ACTUALLY

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/joe-biden-no-empathy/

quote:

What's True
In a speech given in January 2018, Biden did say he had "no empathy" for the plight of younger people. However...

What's False
Biden was making a specific and emphatic comparison between the relative progress and civility of the present moment, on one hand, and the upheaval and civil discord of his own youth, in the late 1960's. He was not speaking in general or absolute terms.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SixteenShells posted:

If McD's is too expensive I don't want to think about what Five Guys cost now

The trick with Five Guys is to go with a group of people who will all eat a lot of peanuts. That’s where you get the value.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

As shown in @IbrahimAS97's viral May 2019 video, Biden did say he had "no empathy" for the plight of younger people. However, the 16-second clip did not show the former vice president making a specific, emphatic comparison between the relative calm of the present moment and the social and political tumult of his own youth in the late 1960s. He was not saying, in absolute or general terms, that he had no empathy for younger people.

In omitting this important context, IbrahimAS97's video gives an incomplete and somewhat misleading presentation of what Biden actually said.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The tumult of the 60s were ultimately a failure because it did not a pave a path forward that would prevent people like Joe Biden from ascending to the position of presidency.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jesus Christ. That's some real "Sure he said the thing, but deep in his heart of hearts, he meant what you actually wanted to hear" poo poo.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

joepinetree posted:

just to highlight how stancil is utterly stupid and these dnc "data" guys actually don't know data

Everyone was ready to talk about stagflation but almost no one was ready for BIdenflation. Stancil thinks it is due to some kind of economic policy prowess possessed by the Biden administration. Because we have managed to avoid recession and stagflation he thinks everyone should be eternally grateful and vote for Biden. The real elephant in the room is that Stancil doesn't even really care about data at all. He thinks economic sentiment is 100% partisan and you can not win voters with kitchen table reforms like the child tax credit. He thinks politics is 100% narrative and the reason why economic sentiment has broken the partisan order is because they are hypnotized by tiktok or the new york times or blue haired brooklyn podcaster baristas. He is a bullshit artist and permanently out to lunch.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Srice posted:

https://twitter.com/What46HasDone/status/1741137515313037481

well, thank goodness biden's assisting with genocide in way that's legal

I am begging the 46 guy to stop being a sociopathic liar for like five seconds.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Michigan has bodegas ;we just call them party stores.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

brew thrus are the top tier regional convenience store

can't find those in *matt berry voice* new york city

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

no empathy because I had it worse actually makes me think he’s a bigger piece of poo poo than if it was just no empathy full stop. sanctimony is nauseating!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

snopes rating: marge

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/debbiehiggs02/status/1740782769431810223
https://twitter.com/marieclairep08/status/1740780705422930427
https://twitter.com/Malik_A_V/status/1740837024104591526
https://twitter.com/Malik_A_V/status/1740838328482632163

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1741217880383815957?t=YEMU7xypUvshgCIW5sd8gQ&s=19

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I hate that you can :actually: with Mandatory Palestine and poo poo

Excelzior has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Dec 31, 2023

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Really feel for the people who grew up during the 1960s. It must have been difficult to live through a time where the people in power wage an unpopular war and ignore society collapsing at home.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

General Bullshit posted:

Really feel for the people who grew up during the 1960s. It must have been difficult to live through a time where the people in power wage an unpopular war and ignore society collapsing at home.

yeah they grew up under the threat of nuclear war too. we should be thankful that not only is nuclear war impossible now, there aren't any sorts of threats to global civilization bearing down on us. we deserve no sympathy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FuknSlammer/status/1741148656500175052?t=hG4wm_gFGzWOVv70e82QLw&s=19

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Aaron Pooper

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My radical position has been that America has the capability, though perhaps not the will, to provide cheap burgers to its citizens without imperialism or the oppression of anyone except the cows (which is actually bad tbh). Most disagree with me on this :shrug:

It's funny the Stancil position is actually! even with imperialism no one should get cheap burgers. You must be at least this virtuous to eat a lovely burger

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Well, what was the answer?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

My friend wants to know

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

new emerson national poll; lmao at younger millies & xers.

that poll seems likely to be dodgy, but I do wonder if a thunderous Reagan style win for Trump would knock out any of the lovely dem leadership. I'd expect they'd just retreat further into liberal qanon about Russian/Chinese/etc cheating but Reagan's win did cause chaos in the party (tho in an era before such openly partisan media).

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

its very complicated and in fact full of nebulous grey areas that you need dr. gradenko's history degree to understand when it comes to dropping one bajillion tons of ordnance on nunneries, orphanages, retirement homes, baby daycare, etc

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

that poll seems likely to be dodgy, but I do wonder if a thunderous Reagan style win for Trump would knock out any of the lovely dem leadership.

Think of the fundraising that the dems would be able to do!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

loquacius posted:

A bodega is like a convenience store but sometimes there's more food there AFAICT

New Yorkers sometimes get super nationalistic about it but never about the food part, giving the impression they just don't know what a convenience store is. This guy, meanwhile, appears to think that the non-New-York equivalent of bodegas (convenience stores) sell fresh food that people want to eat on a regular basis. The fact that he still calls them "bodegas" is the proof that he's approaching it from the clueless angle rather than the "yes, as a true proletarian I WOULD eat 7-11 hot dogs every day and you're classist if you wouldn't" angle

I feel like theres this weird confusing of out of town media transplants with New Yorkers. Twitter is not a good representation of reality or.of the places people claim to live

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

that poll seems likely to be dodgy, but I do wonder if a thunderous Reagan style win for Trump would knock out any of the lovely dem leadership. I'd expect they'd just retreat further into liberal qanon about Russian/Chinese/etc cheating but Reagan's win did cause chaos in the party (tho in an era before such openly partisan media).

I think Trump winning consecutive terms might have caused some introspection and turnover. As it stands 2016 was dismissed as a fluke because of russia, misogynists, bernie bros and white supremacists. The Obamas blamed it on white people. Hillary blamed it on Sexists and Russians.

With Biden winning in 2020 the Dem establishment sees that as a validation they were right all along about 2016. Trump was just a one term fluke. They deserved the win in 2016 and 2020 was their reward. There is zero introspection about all the poo poo they pulled in their own primary or the legal poo poo they are doing now. They Won. The Voters Proved Them Right. Complete hubris reset.

So now we are at the point where a 2024 loss is already being blamed on an ignorant population too stupid to see how amazing Democrats are. A second Trump term will come with the same unhinged psychotic behavior, even more lawfare and zero introspection. 2028 will see a Buttigeg type elected to continue on Obama 4/5 after Joe only gets Obama 3.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

This thread title is so gross I can’t help but click it

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

three years on, I can say that the 2020 biden win has still provided incredibly high quality comedy

way more harm than a trump win though since the dems stopped pretending they were against a few bad things and started saying that in fact they were always in favor of all the bad things

but it's still been a great ride comedy-wise

whoever wins in 2024, be it biden, kamala after the election for the funniest of reasons, or trump the US loses and i think i'm enjoying my total acceptance of this

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There is a difference between the introspection of a normal loss and a tsunami wave loss. The 80s were chaos for the dems which is why you end up with 'third way' pedo bill. With mail in ballots and partisan media to keep up the pressure I'm not sure if 400+ wins are likely anymore much less 500+ wins, but if it did happen I think it'd make for much greater chaos.

A funny option is absolute maximized difference between popular and electoral results just to underscore how everything about how our system is dumb like 400+ EVs but lose the popular lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Complications posted:

way more harm than a trump win though since the dems stopped pretending they were against a few bad things and started saying that in fact they were always in favor of all the bad things

the logic of "harm reduction" voting if you follow it to its conclusion is to keep the democratic party out of power since once they win an election even the notional opposition to terrible things entirely drops away. since the ngo, nonprofit, and "left" set their support or opposition depending on the party in power, and not connected to policy, the only way to keep these groups united behind any push for improvements is to keep them as far away from the levers of power as possible.

"kids in cages" is an excellent example of this in practice

bedpan has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Dec 31, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tired: kids in cages
wired: kids in graves

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1740749181273153624?s=20
https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1740747751749755318?s=20
https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1740749701027111376?s=20

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.

nah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Went and checked out CNN/MSNBC/FOX for the first time in a long time, just to see.

It's wall to wall TRUMP!

They want him to win this election so bad.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

seems inferior to the chinese political compass imo

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

FuzzySlippers posted:

the 1984 election broke so many lib brains that every democrat president since has been “what if we do republican policies but pretend they’re good, actually” so I don’t think a big Trump win would somehow knock them back into sense

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

lousy hat posted:

the 1984 election broke so many lib brains that every democrat president since has been “what if we do republican policies but pretend they’re good, actually” so I don’t think a big Trump win would somehow knock them back into sense

It's say it's McGovern in 1972, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
At this point, I think the Dems have always been waiting for a moment to get back on Big Business side ever since the New Deal went down, and then the faltering of the USSR in the 70s allowed that to be possible which happened to coincide with some very poor Dem campaigning. Perhaps too cynical a perspective, but at this point, I've learned you might as well be as cynical about American history and you'll likely be right.