Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

JBP posted:

It's smart to use it there tho. Also maybe a spoiler idk.

It would be smart, if it worked like it said it did, and also didn't break a bunch of cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Monathin posted:

Most of early D&D and especially Forgotten Realms just straight lifts from Tolkein lol. There's not much new under the sun. Also it's not like the klingon have a monopoly on guttural fantasy conlang.

Also the Githyanki in BG3 actually do an examination on how hosed up the Fantasy Klingon Culture is given everything around Vlaakith.

Klingons are Orcs. Vulcans are Elves. Romulans are Drow. Gorn are Lizardmen. Ferengi are Gobbos. The Cardassians are jerks.

But in all seriousness everything about the Githyanki, good and bad, is inherited from the setting and includes some of the more interesting background bits from Spelljammer and Planescape.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dragonwagon posted:

Why is there a nipple in my armpit? Is this a half-orc thing?

This is more common than you might think actually

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Atarask posted:

Romulans are Drow.

You say this, but Minthara would be the world's biggest Dukat fangirl if she knew him.

Otherwise yeah, githyanki in BG3 are true to their depiction in D&D going back decades. They've always had some klingon influence though.

The mindflayer ship is straight out of Spelljammer too. I guess they decided having some giff show up too would have been a bit too much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you hate the githyanki then you should love Lae’zel, as she consistently delivers many new and exciting opportunities to kill them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

A Moose posted:

It would be smart, if it worked like it said it did, and also didn't break a bunch of cutscenes

I've done the fight a few times and I don't understand what broke for you.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

A Moose posted:

you get all the cutscenes if you wait until he's low and then initiate the fight

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I simply cannot take male Githyanki seriously. Their faces are just so...long. Between that and the outrageously skinny limbs it's a miracle they can even lift a greatsword.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's hard for me to enjoy the Githyanki in general because they are such assholes and the character design somehow makes each and every one of them look punchably smug. And then it doesn't help when the monks are just complete motherfuckers and pulling monk bullshit. Monk bullshit for me, not for thee!

Voss, Lae'zel, and Orpheus are cool though.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Professor Beetus posted:

It's hard for me to enjoy the Githyanki in general because they are such assholes and the character design somehow makes each and every one of them look punchably smug. And then it doesn't help when the monks are just complete motherfuckers and pulling monk bullshit. Monk bullshit for me, not for thee!

Voss, Lae'zel, and Orpheus are cool though.

The duegar are even worse

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I can fix her, and her entire civilization.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
When they make BG4 I want them to go full SpellJammer and add Giff and the Imperial Elven Navy as the bad guys who want to put you in a museum while acting all smug about it. Lazeal mentions at one point she attacked a Neiogi Deathspider. I want those guys too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do thrown weapons not trigger their “on hit” effects? I’ve been throwing this spear of blinding for a while now and I don’t think the blind effect has triggered once

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

They don't, which sucks and honestly doesn't make much sense.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

blizzardvizard posted:

They don't, which sucks and honestly doesn't make much sense.

It makes perfect sense when you remember that the underlying combat mechanics are an absolute goddamned mess

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Pellisworth posted:

The big one that isn't marked or indicated is Nere in Act 1. If you long rest in the Grymforge area before rescuing Nere his plot will advance without you. Which is not a big deal at all, actually.

I just did this and it isn't true. There's a little scene that plays if you try to leave Grymforge or long rest while in it (i did both), but nothing changes from just going straight to the cave in rescue.

Maybe they changed it in a patch.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just checking but is anyone else having connection issues? I don't think it's just BG3 but I figured I'd check. It might be all of Steam's servers

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

roomtone posted:

I just did this and it isn't true. There's a little scene that plays if you try to leave Grymforge or long rest while in it (i did both), but nothing changes from just going straight to the cave in rescue.

Maybe they changed it in a patch.

I think you get that scene as a warning, and a second long rest results in the resolution happening on its own

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I'm a few hours into Act 3 and I feel super constrained to never use AoE, because last time I cast a bunch of stuff, Moonrise in act 2 was basically a nightmare to constantly trigger hostile.

And like almost all my fights involve a friendly NPC or multiple citizen NPCs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

So I'm a few hours into Act 3 and I feel super constrained to never use AoE, because last time I cast a bunch of stuff, Moonrise in act 2 was basically a nightmare to constantly trigger hostile.

And like almost all my fights involve a friendly NPC or multiple citizen NPCs.

Does aoe actually cause aggro if it's a set piece fight? Because last time I did Moonrise I had flaming fists running into my hunger of hadar a few times and they never went hostile

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Chain Lightning solves these problems. Or the Slow spell since you can pick your targets. I think NPCs get an AOE version though because they hit me while invis.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ginette Reno posted:

Does aoe actually cause aggro if it's a set piece fight? Because last time I did Moonrise I had flaming fists running into my hunger of hadar a few times and they never went hostile

not during the fight, but right after the fight ended, they stepped into my electric water and immediately went hostile that I had to run to de-aggro them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rolled a Deep Gnome Durge Wizard, really appreciate the wealth of opportunities to play an rear end in a top hat spellcaster in this game. Here are some things I've just discovered after 300+ hours.

1. You can use the Ray of Frost cantrip to clear flame patches. Very useful in the early game and way faster than throwing water.
2. You can combine the weapon shaft from Edowin with the broken spear from the owlbear to make an interesting spear weapon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

Rolled a Deep Gnome Durge Wizard, really appreciate the wealth of opportunities to play an rear end in a top hat spellcaster in this game. Here are some things I've just discovered after 300+ hours.

1. You can use the Ray of Frost cantrip to clear flame patches. Very useful in the early game and way faster than throwing water.
2. You can combine the weapon shaft from Edowin with the broken spear from the owlbear to make an interesting spear weapon.

I'm going to do a durge psycho run next although my rogue has gone full Jack Bauer since getting to Baldur's Gate (like sneaking into a factory and blowing it up I hope those gnomes weren't friendly lmao). I'm at the final battle now. I've really enjoyed playing a real dickhead character that's just ends justify means. Playing full evil will be hard.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

It's kind of funny that the spear is absolutely the best monk weapon to use in the well, and I missed every single attack with it against a spider (flurry kept hitting things just fine).

Also I was very sad to discover that I couldn't turn BOOOAL into a spore zombie, but I guess technically it would be against the rules so

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I wanted to sacrifice Gale to BOOAAAAL but luckily I decided to read what would happen first, turns out that will completely brick your Honor Mode run!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can you sacrifice yourself to BOOOAL

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't get people who dislike the appearance of the gith. Lae'zel is so cute! You can make some cute looking githyanki in the character creator too.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Happy new year baldurans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2B0t6Y7_ws

e: the vid spoils a few endgame locations

Lima fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 31, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Magic Missile does not take too much time at all to come online. Spellsparkler from the super easy rescue Florrick quest at Waukeen's Rest, head to the Underdark to pick up Phalar Aluve for Shriek, MM necklace from Blurg, Boots of Stormy Clamor from Omeluum, and then you are pretty much ready to roll. Later on you'll be adding the Ring of Absolute Force and Ne'er Misser so make sure you get branded at the Goblin Camp and don't kill Roah Moonstone at least until Act 2. Mopped the floor with the Underdark encounters, love watching all those little numbers fly!!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Act 3 Cazador

Can you do anything with those Green Vases besides the one that says “Release Me”

That basement puzzle also still seems unfinished despite the patch notes

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Magic Missile does not take too much time at all to come online. Spellsparkler from the super easy rescue Florrick quest at Waukeen's Rest, head to the Underdark to pick up Phalar Aluve for Shriek, MM necklace from Blurg, Boots of Stormy Clamor from Omeluum, and then you are pretty much ready to roll. Later on you'll be adding the Ring of Absolute Force and Ne'er Misser so make sure you get branded at the Goblin Camp and don't kill Roah Moonstone at least until Act 2. Mopped the floor with the Underdark encounters, love watching all those little numbers fly!!

How do Boots of Stormy Clamor help with magic missile?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How do Boots of Stormy Clamor help with magic missile?

Spellsparkler does lightning damage on every spell. Every magic missile thus adds reverberation, which when it maxes out knocks the target prone and inflicts more Thunder damage. If they're still standing after the magic missile barrage, laezel can go and murder them with advantage.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Morrow posted:

Spellsparkler does lightning damage on every spell. Every magic missile thus adds reverberation, which when it maxes out knocks the target prone and inflicts more Thunder damage. If they're still standing after the magic missile barrage, laezel can go and murder them with advantage.

I had no idea lightning was a condition. Awesome.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yeah the game is pretty generous with what it considers to be a condition. Magic Missile stacking as described above is incredibly powerful since you're constantly applying damage riders and knocking people down, as well as applying whatever other equipment bonuses you can eke out of burning through your lightning stacks so quickly.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My first Honour mode run went deep into Act 3, and now I can't get past the goblin camp.

I know I can do it!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is anyone using the Hellrider longbow just to add the +3 initiative for Laez or Karlach while they're meleeing or throwing? I haven't been paying enough attention to initiative to know if that'd really be useful or not. It's obviously not good for Act 3 damage and 2170 gold for it is a pretty big chunk.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

bird with big dick posted:

Is anyone using the Hellrider longbow just to add the +3 initiative for Laez or Karlach while they're meleeing or throwing? I haven't been paying enough attention to initiative to know if that'd really be useful or not. It's obviously not good for Act 3 damage and 2170 gold for it is a pretty big chunk.

I threw it on my caster, because melee gets other, better items that just happen to have +init on them

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's the boots that cause the condition. If you want to stack even more, there's a set of lightning robes that also provide some minor buffs for lightning charges.

It's not a late game broken build (unless you have a spotter with phalar aluve, which can add 1d4 Thunder per hit in its radius) but like throwing it comes online early and stays effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

I used it all the way through my honor playthrough on my pala/swordbard. I'd argue that it's the best bow available for that particular build, but it's also very good for anyone that you want to act faster.