Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
putting on my scuba gear to go to work

see these skyscrapers are totally fine doomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what if we refine executives into jet fuel

worth thinking about

SixteenShells posted:

Executives are in limited supply, I thought renewable energy sources were the goal

Executives are a renewable resource. If you refined the entire C-suite of Exxon Mobil into jet fuel there are will be 100's of senior VPs who will all vie to replace them. 1000's of middle managers ready to take their place and business schools will keep pumping out more grads to replace them.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i’ve been having thunderstorms at 7am in the morning. I can’t remember the last time of having storms so early. it’s been happening all week, this is in south east Queensland.

everything is dialled up to 11 now and no one bats an eye, it’s insane

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i miss getting weeks-long rain in the winter. this poo poo sucks, we finally got 1(!) day of nice rain yesterday and now it's super blue-skys, hot and sunny like a mid-spring day. seems to be getting 1 day of rain here and there followed by 25-days of the month being clear or maybe overcast

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/30/climate-scientists-hail-2023-as-beginning-of-the-end-for-fossil-fuel-era

Scientists are hailing the beginning of the end. Interpret the headline how you will.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Every time I see a chart like this I have a good chuckle and I want everyone to be able to enjoy that

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lmao

I love these charts they're so loving good, just gigantic "we are completely hosed" images that somehow manage to consistently find their way into the most optimistic articles

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

yeah there's the chuckle

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Every single line on that chart not only shows something that is impossible to achieve intentionally, but also a pathway that likely represents near instantaneous collapse of modern civilization

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Fossil fuels? More like fossil fools.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

Every time I see a chart like this I have a good chuckle and I want everyone to be able to enjoy that

I like that the drop points are like lazers. Imagining a little down under the blue lines being blown up.

Magnificent
Jun 17, 2005

I was not programmed for friendship.
Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

Every single line on that chart not only shows something that is impossible to achieve intentionally, but also a pathway that likely represents near instantaneous collapse of modern civilization

If we'd just kept up the rate of decrease from March - May 2020 for 10 extra years, we'd have made it.

So COVID, but 40x more powerful, could save (the world from) us.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

This, possibly anomalous, year is 2c above the normal lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
what if there was a way to give everyone who works at a petroleum company pica so it could decrease pollution in two ways. firstly you'd see a slight decrease because instead of selling oil they would simply drink it, secondly they'd die.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

The Oldest Man posted:

everytime

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I can't wait until those charts need to show the lines going down and backwards

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Unless posted:

everytime

I love this picture. It looks like God is projecting down from the heavens

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

two terratons please

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I feel like I'm losing my mind seeing the geese still around the pond when I'd like to think in years past they would have migrated for the winter. I was puzzled the other day as I saw a group of geese flying north and shrugged it off a bit thinking it could just be some of the geese I've seen around lately... that maybe shouldn't be here right now.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Paradoxish posted:

I can't wait until those charts need to show the lines going down and backwards

that's the fun part, they already should be

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

This chart is incredible and I just laughed pretty loud so thanks

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

netizen posted:

This would be dope. I never understood why Ariel wanted to leave the ocean. It's cool as hell down there.

she left the ocean because although mermaids live exceptionally long lives, they have no souls and simply turn into seafoam when they die. hth

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Rip Testes posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind seeing the geese still around the pond when I'd like to think in years past they would have migrated for the winter. I was puzzled the other day as I saw a group of geese flying north and shrugged it off a bit thinking it could just be some of the geese I've seen around lately... that maybe shouldn't be here right now.

a goose will abandon its eggs and start brooding any larger egg-shaped thing you put in front of it, and yet it sounds like the geese are responding to climate change more rationally than the floridians

edit: i think what im trying to say is we need to teach geese economics

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Dec 31, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

OIL PANIC posted:

she left the ocean because although mermaids live exceptionally long lives, they have no souls and simply turn into seafoam when they die. hth

The delicious kind, or the kind I'm not sure whether to put in my engine?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

OIL PANIC posted:

a goose will abandon its eggs and start brooding any larger egg-shaped thing you put in front of it, and yet it sounds like the geese are responding to climate change more rationally than the floridians

edit: i think what im trying to say is we need to teach geese economics

Humans wasted tens of thousands of delicately wrinkled neuron sheets inventing an egg detection algorithm. The geese just use the shape.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

toggle posted:

i’ve been having thunderstorms at 7am in the morning. I can’t remember the last time of having storms so early. it’s been happening all week, this is in south east Queensland.

everything is dialled up to 11 now and no one bats an eye, it’s insane

it’s very normal, op

hypernormal, even

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my bees have been out foraging lmao

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rip Testes posted:

They migrate for food sources. If they have food why are they going to waste energy finding new food

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Magnificent posted:

If we'd just kept up the rate of decrease from March - May 2020 for 10 extra years, we'd have made it.

So COVID, but 40x more powerful, could save (the world from) us.

the hand of the free market will save us

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

anime was right posted:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

chunnel flooded governor

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It’s that time of the year again, who has predictions for 2024?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Manmade horrors beyond comprehension but we'll all still have to go to work

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i predict 2024 will be worse than 2023 but better than 2025. hope that helps

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
hopefully more volano stuff but less around where people live, but it'll probably be more around where people live

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

storms, drought / unprecedented suffering

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GilbertP4341/status/1741050769514676524?t=NYI1d3I1oBvHCi3GnsOTSA&s=19

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Car Hater posted:

Manmade horrors beyond comprehension but we'll all still have to go to work

i'm going to comprehend them this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

anime was right posted:

believing that the fictional disembodied boss hand from a twenty year old fighting game will save us from climate change is actually more reasonable than believing that the free market will