Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thank goodness Dr Hormone was here to give us child soldiers!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Savarna has vowed to never kill again, but that doesn't mean she can't slip one of the local battle monks a few bucks to do it for her. The Chinese get all pissed off and raze the monastery and the rest of the town for good measure. Kit Jr. feels bad about telling Savarna and becomes an accountant instead of Phantoming. Kadia kills herself. Heloise becomes a suburban mom. Diana leaves. Phantom has babies with Chatu. Moz reaches Batiuk levels of smugness.

fade back to reality. This is the tail end of Mozz speaking ANOTHER prophecy before Phantom rides out. Enter year four.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

batuik understands business ownership the way that greg evans understands college

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

LvK posted:

fade back to reality. This is the tail end of Mozz speaking ANOTHER prophecy before Phantom rides out. Enter year four.

At the end of year six we find out that there never was a phantom and mozz is just an insane old man

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

God, even if it was Copper that'd be savage but Maggie?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what the gently caress Maggie

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Father, I cannot click book.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Mary Worth story is going to end with father and daughter reconciling and learning to accept each other's differences

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

:rip: Everybody
Man, they're rebooting already?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
in a sudden upset Planck is now the most owned man in Korea... :smith:

CommonShore posted:

The Mary Worth story is going to end with father and daughter reconciling and learning to accept each other's differences

The panel set up looks like Keith is about to use some manners he learned as a policeman. :v: Or suplex him.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

The strip on the right is a bit of an Untranslatable Fingerpori Moment, a combination of puns and things I think are puns but can’t be quite sure of. Panel 1 is punning たっち, “tacchi,” a cutesy way of saying standing up, and タッチ, with the same pronunciation, for “touch,” using the common expression タッチの差, tacchi no sa, meaning winning a swimming match by a hair’s breadth by being the first swimmer to touch the goal. Panel 2 I don’t even know. Panel 3 is punning with “迫真の演技” (hakushin no engi, naturalistic acting) and “hakuchin,” a common onomatopoeia for sneezing, for hakuchin no engi, “naturalistic / sneezing acting”?

Bardiche Hotel

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

This is definitely one of the stranger comics in this collection, that's for sure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I'm amazed at this panel. I'm too stunned to comment.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The most heroic way to win a war: have as much cannon fodder as possible.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 30, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

especially children who have been experimented on

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

That's too pretty to leave rotated:

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Powered Descent posted:

"Fellas, you'll have to wait your turn, Bizarro can only use you one at a time!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A certain person in Cleveland, Ohio can expect to hear from my attorney. :lofty:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s the thing your wifi comes out of. And every car has one.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

"So when are they supposed to start typing plays for me?"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's Actually About Ethics In Competitive Gardening

lmao Rudy's shocked face.

Torturing A Joke Like It's Name Is Job

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Welp, I'm not finishing the thread before the year's out I'm sure but by gum, I've still read enough of these comics that I can give year end thoughts on as many as I can and I encourage others to do likewise!

Selachian posted:

Pogo 1/17-19/52

A filibeg is a kilt; filiform means threadlike; a flaught is a flake (and if it's of Borealis, probably a flake of snow); and fimbricated means fringed.

Somedays I have patience for Pogo. Other days I don't. But the last time someone tried to post this I don't think anyone ever had any patience for it and I'd like to think we've become more diligent readers that the grandiloquent text isn't off-putting at all and can even be quite charming if we're in the right mood for it.

quote:

Archie 2/3-5/49

Every couple weeks or so someone says it's hard to believe early Archie was this good, and what more is there to say than that? It's very strange to think of how intensely this brand has turned into extreme self-parody when at its core this is a very pleasant, very funny high school strip about teenagers who are jerks but are not (usually) mean-spirited ones.

quote:

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 1/3-5/52

And this seems a good point to take our leave of Tom Corbett, since it never lived up to its initial promise. The strip only ran a year and a half longer, although Tom had more success on television: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ubQ8OdNDyA

If Pogo is weird, and Archie is good, Tom Corbett isn't...bad, exactly, but it's a bit remarkable that the science, while poorly aged, is at least interesting, while the storytelling style is a lot more flat and it's hard to tell whether this was typical for the genre at the time or if this is a problem with the comic in particular. I can only hope that when the strip was new it was easier to tell all the characters apart. Or maybe people back then disliked it as much as we dislike our contemporary comics, who knows.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Julet Esqu posted:

Savarna has vowed to never kill again, but that doesn't mean she can't slip one of the local battle monks a few bucks to do it for her. The Chinese get all pissed off and raze the monastery and the rest of the town for good measure. Kit Jr. feels bad about telling Savarna and becomes an accountant instead of Phantoming. Kadia kills herself. Heloise becomes a suburban mom. Diana leaves. Phantom has babies with Chatu. Moz reaches Batiuk levels of smugness.

Moziuk. I can see the triangular smirk on him now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

"Well, I wasn't having any fun at all, and I thought, 'Maybe the barrel's the problem?'."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

At the end of year six we find out that there never was a phantom and mozz is just an insane old man

Mozz sits in between the grandfather from FOOB yelling about boxcars, and Crankshaft mumbling about school buses.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (November 8-10, 2004)

So I had no familiarity with John Allison's work before Bad Machinery started being posted in this thread years ago. And Scary Go Round definitely clarifies certain questions I've always had with how people who did have familiarity reacted to Bad Machinery. Namely, how the weird genre-meld sci-fi fantasy worldbuilding stuff seems natural to pre-existing John Allison readers, while for me those detours into the fantastic in Bad Machinery tended to feel a lot more random and out of place.

Knowing now that John Allison started out, quite literally, as an aughts-era webcomic guy, explains basically all of this. It's a bit fascinating to look at Scary Go Round and Bad Machinery side-by-side here because you can definitely see how it's the same fundamental style just with most (but not quite all) of the aughts-era webcomic bits ripped out. Objectively speaking Scary Go Round is...OK on its own, I guess, but I honestly have trouble getting excited about it as anything except a comparison piece to the other stuff.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I remember everyone being worried that Allison lost 2/3 of his audience by ending Scary Go Around and starting Bad Machinery but in the end it worked out quite well.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

For any missteps John makes they're small and his enormous work ethic carries him through. I hope he keeps going with a new setting and venture or has a strong idea for Charlotte if he goes back to her. Steeple is ending soon, isn't it? And the recent Charlotte adventures have been alright but definitely lacking in a way that suggests he's clung to the idea for a bit too long.

Seconding that Tom Corbett isn't bad but it somehow can't hold interest. Thinking about it I now recognize the energy it has. If you were born in the 70s-90s, did you ever get sick and call out of school/work and lay in bed and watch cartoons? But it was mid day and all that was on was reruns of decades old shlock that Hanna Barbara made by the dozens? Just the most generic pitches with the stiffest acting in the world, loads of reused animation, made as cheaply as possible? Tom Corbett has a certain passion but I can literally hear the same 5 guys they rotated for voice acting between generic action cartoons voicing the three identical Classic American Hero Man protags(four of them, and 1 has a (bad) personality!) and the villain. I'd feel bad if Tom was a passion project by the author but what can I say, looking back at work can be pretty harsh and sometimes things are forgotten for good reason, whereas timeless quality stands out given how the thread reacts to Prince Valiant, Scarlet, Archie, etc.

I really hope that snowman gets a heart and renews his love with his wife, who every time I see in a panel I remember the line a goon had that "Q-Rai draws women like a horny lesbian." :pervert:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Some Guy TT posted:

So I had no familiarity with John Allison's work before Bad Machinery started being posted in this thread years ago. And Scary Go Round definitely clarifies certain questions I've always had with how people who did have familiarity reacted to Bad Machinery. Namely, how the weird genre-meld sci-fi fantasy worldbuilding stuff seems natural to pre-existing John Allison readers, while for me those detours into the fantastic in Bad Machinery tended to feel a lot more random and out of place.

Knowing now that John Allison started out, quite literally, as an aughts-era webcomic guy, explains basically all of this. It's a bit fascinating to look at Scary Go Round and Bad Machinery side-by-side here because you can definitely see how it's the same fundamental style just with most (but not quite all) of the aughts-era webcomic bits ripped out. Objectively speaking Scary Go Round is...OK on its own, I guess, but I honestly have trouble getting excited about it as anything except a comparison piece to the other stuff.

Yeah, to me the fun of Scary Go Round is seeing the history of this little world Allison has created, as well seeing how Allison develops as a writer and artist. Scary Go Round does get better when the school age characters become regulars and Allison focuses on a few characters at a time while combining the supernatural stuff with more character driven, personal plots. This focus is what made Bad Machinery so good, as Allison manages to just use a few characters at a time as well as having an overarching concept for the series ("Child detectives solve mysteries!").

Doomykins posted:

For any missteps John makes they're small and his enormous work ethic carries him through. I hope he keeps going with a new setting and venture or has a strong idea for Charlotte if he goes back to her. Steeple is ending soon, isn't it? And the recent Charlotte adventures have been alright but definitely lacking in a way that suggests he's clung to the idea for a bit too long.

Seconding this. Allison has put out so much, mostly for free, that he's built up a lot of goodwill. Furthermore even when he's not at his best, Allison's work is never really bad.

Steeple is wrapping up with it's final story starting next year, which is a shame as I think it's some of Allison's best work and he definitely could get some more stories out of it. I wish he had kept up the "Billie has joined the Church of Satan but doesn't know why" plot thread, he could have used that to drive some more stories. Allison has said that he wanted to move on to something else, and I think he also mentioned that Dark Horse passed on printing a fourth collection of the Steeple comics. What made Steeple really shine for me is that you see a lot of the elements from Scary Go Round, but used by an author who has had twenty years to refine his craft.

As for the Lottie / Solver comics, I think the problem is that while Allison know what he doesn't want to do with the character, he doesn't know what he does want to do and keeps trying different things, which don't always end up working as well as some of his past stuff. The logical thing would be to follow Lottie to college, but that was ground Allison covered in Giant Days. The 6 issue Wicked Things had a decent concept (Lottie gets framed for murder and has to work with the police to clear her name) but that same concept constrained Lottie's actions (she works best as a kind of loose cannon) and Allison drifted away from the core plot and the story was left unfinished after 6 issues (Allison had been hoping for 16, and to be fair it seems he learned his lesson with the 4 issue Great British Bump Off staring Shauna). Solver had an interesting idea, Lottie tries to turn her mystery-solving abilities into problem-solving abilities, but Allison only really had two "cases" featured this, and the side plot of Lottie's first real romance wasn't as interesting a it should have been.

As for what Allison will do after the last Steeple story (and it might not really be the last one, Allison has a habit of revisiting characters), he has mentioned doing a series with Mildred, or he might go back to Lottie or Shauna. Also he has mentioned doing something with a certain barbarian who has recently entered the public domain (in Europe I think, I'm a little hazy on the details).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Usually this is just a harmless chuckle but man, that Guard Dog arc was brutal. Still thinking about that one line in a newspaper somewhere. A final act of negligent cruelty.

quote:

Sally Forth

It's progress, I guess.

I'm gonna buck the trend on this one and say that this hits me personally, not because Sally's mom reminds me of real-life horrible relatives, but because Sally herself does. By which I mean, she clearly treats the whole relationship as primarily obligational, that she thinks of herself as a person who is good because she looks after her mother and has a relationship with her, with no regard to what her mother actually wants or who she is as a person. And to the extent Sally does consider her mom as a person, it's as a broken-down fuckup from a past generation who deserves her pity, and therapy, not like Sally herself who's fine with just pop culture fantasies and girls' nights out. A lot of this feels like the kind of self-justifying fantasy the relatives I'm thinking of would come up with. As in, they'd probably describe my behavior as identical to Sally's mom and have even blown up at me just as Sally did, and it would be gratifying for them to have a version where they're indisputably in the right and everyone they know is patting them on the back for screaming at me.

quote:

Skippy (December 16, 1935)

I never dislike Skippy but it's oddly forgettable these days.

quote:

Peanuts (December 28, 1976)

This too. It suddenly occurs to me that it's moderately amusing that Peanuts comes after Skippy in your list.

quote:

Crankshaft, with special guest-star MY FATHER, JOHN DARLING.

Is this just Funky Winkerbean now? Crankshaft is barely even in it anymore. Or maybe it just feels this way because they won't shut up about this stupid restaurant. Incidentally one other thing that's pushing my contrarian view on Sally Forth is that mom's comment provoking the blow-up was about a very similar situation that the thread's been mocking here- how Sally's sister is running a failing business she barely even seems to understand. I really doubt there's any way Sally's mom could have commented on that mess which wouldn't have seemed like a brutal attack.

quote:

Li'l Abner (June 13-15, 1935)

Making both potential guardians the worst is a pretty decent twist, as these things usually go.

It's weird that I was expecting more hillbillies from this comic, but it's actually a lot funnier when the hillbilly to city folk ratio is relatively even.

quote:

Thimble Theater (July 30, 1940)

Every Thimble Theater has such great casual character humor this one doesn't even stand out. But just to iterate- a lazy guy is happy in a mostly pointless job he insists on doing as completely as he can is very inherently funny.

quote:

Olive & Popeye

Whereas here we have characters with personality but no motivation. "Being a good person" doesn't count as motivation (quickly shuts up before talking about Sally Forth again).

quote:

Out Our Way (August 26-28, 1943)

I am not understanding half of these at this point. These specific ones are a bad example of that (the first one in particular is quite straightforward) but way too often Out Our Way has been reading like an incomprehensible inside joke lately.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Good for them.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (January 19-21, 1925; timg for that one Romani slur that isn't going anywhere for the next 80 or 90 years)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga: Tonight's episode: "Wes Begins." (January 20, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 3-5, 1922)

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: Tough luck for Mrs. Sims to be coming along in her new spring suit just when outfielder Flynn, recovering the ball from the gutter, had to shoot it right home in an effort to save the game.

Dok's Dippy Diablerie (January 21, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 4 and 6, 1939)

No strip for the 5th, but get a load of the announcement.

NOW STARRING MARMADUKE THE SEA SERPENT.

What a way to announce Lefty's demotion.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 29-December 1, 2004)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Yuck

This one's cute, most of the time, I guess.

quote:

Get Fuzzy 12/25/03

I keep expecting this is going to start to clearly decline at some point but it never does. Although to be fair, we can't be more than a few years into the run...I think? I don't remember when you started posting it.

quote:

Brenda Starr 4/28-30/52

This is the Brenda Starr silliness I crave. We're months into an arc now that barely has anything to do with Brenda at all and is just a convoluted jump from child neglect to kidnapping to missing heiress and now Jane Austen style marriage drama.

quote:

Smokey Stover 10/5/58

Does anyone else think of Ren & Stimpy when they look at this? I can't quite figure out why they seem similar.

quote:

Everyday Movies 2/2/37

"No snow shoveling job for us, eh, Duke? They have to work to keep warm."

Gorgeous art. Pity about the tiny lettering.

quote:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/26-28/42

I don't remember where it was mentioned that Scarlet eventually stops with the wacky adventures although stuff like this certainly gives an impression of Scarlet O'Neil to come.

quote:

Jetpack Mailmen! 10/5/58

The Reaction Motors "rocket belt" may have been top-secret military stuff in 1958, but the Smithsonian has one now.

This section is fantastic and I'm very happy you added it to your rotation.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm gonna buck the trend on this one and say that this hits me personally, not because Sally's mom reminds me of real-life horrible relatives, but because Sally herself does. By which I mean, she clearly treats the whole relationship as primarily obligational, that she thinks of herself as a person who is good because she looks after her mother and has a relationship with her, with no regard to what her mother actually wants or who she is as a person. And to the extent Sally does consider her mom as a person, it's as a broken-down fuckup from a past generation who deserves her pity, and therapy, not like Sally herself who's fine with just pop culture fantasies and girls' nights out. A lot of this feels like the kind of self-justifying fantasy the relatives I'm thinking of would come up with. As in, they'd probably describe my behavior as identical to Sally's mom and have even blown up at me just as Sally did, and it would be gratifying for them to have a version where they're indisputably in the right and everyone they know is patting them on the back for screaming at me.

Yeah, agreeing with this. A lot of us felt sheer relief that Sally and her Mom finally did anything but deflect and run away from the problem but I still think it'd be better if they agreed that they're family, they love each other, but they personally wouldn't enjoy each others company if they were strangers. I do partly agree with them pointing out Mom's anger issues though. There's nothing wrong with being introverted or even averse to socializing but when you reach the point that you insult people to their faces then there is a problem.

I see your point about us mocking Montoni's in Crankshaft vs the same failing business in Forth but there are some significant differences. I don't know the full history of the antique shop that Sally's sister owns but it seems to be a long held business and we can sympathize with her desperation to hold onto it and not face the facts. Dopey Pete took a windfall, sunk it into one of the most notoriously difficult businesses to start, thought it'd be easy to the point that the previous owner laughed in his face about it and ignored the constant anxieties of his fiancée.

And on top of all that Batiuk constantly cheats his way out of consequences in stories. :v: The movie theater? Funded out of the personal bankroll of a famous movie star. Montoni's reopens? Everybody who bought the old decorations gifts them back. ICE picks up our immigrant friend? Call in a personal favor from Bill Clinton. Reporter guy has his entire newsroom bought out? He tells the corporation off to their face and the city pays him to write anyway.

Pretty ironic since Funky first got noticed for delivering misery. Guess he went soft.

Some Guy TT posted:

I am not understanding half of these at this point. These specific ones are a bad example of that (the first one in particular is quite straightforward) but way too often Out Our Way has been reading like an incomprehensible inside joke lately.

I don't get the third one but the second one seems very direct. The guy lied to get a more complicated job with a better wage and his cousin who works in the same shop helps cover for him. Cousin is out on illness, guy now has to maintain the standard or get fired if they won't keep him on or his wages slashed if they keep him on but he's paid as though new.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 31, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

Is this just Funky Winkerbean now? Crankshaft is barely even in it anymore. Or maybe it just feels this way because they won't shut up about this stupid restaurant. Incidentally one other thing that's pushing my contrarian view on Sally Forth is that mom's comment provoking the blow-up was about a very similar situation that the thread's been mocking here- how Sally's sister is running a failing business she barely even seems to understand. I really doubt there's any way Sally's mom could have commented on that mess which wouldn't have seemed like a brutal attack.
Crankshaft is getting sidelined from his own story faster than a female Silver-Age comic book artist.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Doomykins posted:

I don't get the third one but the second one seems very direct. The guy lied to get a more complicated job with a better wage and his cousin who works in the same shop helps cover for him. Cousin is out on illness, guy now has to maintain the standard or get fired if they won't keep him on or his wages slashed if they keep him on but he's paid as though new.

Last one's about the ranch's new owners/people not from The West not knowing how to do things and losing a lot of vegitables and animals because they arn't used to having to close gates behind them and the animals keep getting out of the places they're supposed to be and into places they arn't. The guy's crying because he can't pass the blame to anybody but his own boss.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Doomykins posted:

In the third one, he's despairing because a gate was left open and the horses got out and are gorging themselves in the garden. Horses are notoriously prone to digestive problems so there may be serious repercussions to their pigging out such as colic or founder (hence the comment about too much alfalfa causing bloat in cattle too). The cowboy can't really say anything about it because the careless people are fancypants Easterners who are related to the ranch owner.

Edited to explain the potential horse ailments a little better

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ahhhhh, thanks. I was vaguely thinking in that direction but the slang and exact relationships got away from me.