Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Cojawfee posted:

I was just about to pull the trigger on an alpha. From amazon, not from their store, but maybe I won't know. I guess I'll just stick to my T1600. I've wanted a yoke for years, but it seems like you can't get a decent one and also have a company that sticks around.

FWIW, my Alpha has been great, zero issues. It's the Bravo I had problems with. The friction adjustment knob managed to knock a C-Clip off the end of the connecting rod. I ended up fixing it myself.

That being said, both my Alpha and Bravo have been in storage for most of the year. They're so large and take up so much desk space. I pretty much only use my VKB Gunfighter and STECS since they're on quick release mounts that I can keep to the side of my desk.

I think buying from a 3rd party (Amazon, X-Plane Org Store, Sporty's, etc.) is probably safe as long as you understand you're probably not going to get any customer service whatsoever/any warranty beyond what the store gives you. I would NOT order anything directly through Honeycomb Aeronautical until things change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah the alpha and bravo are so huge it stinks even though if you have good ones they’re very nice. That said, I also have kind of a lovely bravo, and they made a lot of weird control choices that have buttons held constantly instead of pressed. It makes sense sort of, but the poo poo you have to go through to get mostly working reversers made me question them a bit because I was like… if you’re going to sell this with reversers like that, shouldn’t it be almost natively working? I get part of that’s on the software too but it was all weird.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Yeah the alpha and bravo are so huge it stinks even though if you have good ones they’re very nice. That said, I also have kind of a lovely bravo, and they made a lot of weird control choices that have buttons held constantly instead of pressed. It makes sense sort of, but the poo poo you have to go through to get mostly working reversers made me question them a bit because I was like… if you’re going to sell this with reversers like that, shouldn’t it be almost natively working? I get part of that’s on the software too but it was all weird.

Yeah, after dealing with having to use scripting to get around the Bravo detents, when I set up the hardware detents on my STECS I was like "Hey wait, that's illegal".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CBJamo posted:

If you're feeling very ambitious you could scan all the manuals. There's a good chance most of them are already on archive.org, but if any aren't you'd be doing the world of service by doing that.
Ugh, I don't have time to do poo poo right now unfortunately, let alone do that.

But I'm going to do an inventory and maybe just dump the junk or stuff I bought that I am sure is pretty much worthless, like jewel case versions from Walmart 10-20 years ago.

Too bad about Honeycomb. Sounds like by all intents they should have been successful with sought after products that they sold as much as they made. I wonder how they fell apart like they did?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I ended up buying the reno air race pack because the Mustang is my favorite plane ever. Turns out half the planes don't even work, and the other half you can't go above half throttle or the engine dies. There's like 2 years worth of complaints on the official forums and reddit, so I guess it will never be fixed. Annoying to say the least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Welcome to the hobby!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I ended up buying the reno air race pack because the Mustang is my favorite plane ever. Turns out half the planes don't even work, and the other half you can't go above half throttle or the engine dies. There's like 2 years worth of complaints on the official forums and reddit, so I guess it will never be fixed. Annoying to say the least.

The engine dying bug is relatively recent (Asobo broke it in SU13), and Asobo said they were going to fix it in SU14, but obviously failed to do so.

That specific bug only affects the P-51's that have the fuselage fuel tank installed, so Voodoo, Strega, Goldfinger and (I think) Miss America should all be unaffected.

The T-6's in the pack are also pretty good (and Asobo hasn't broken them yet), but two of the airplanes included (Barons Revenge and Six Cat) collided with each other back in September, which brought the final Reno air races to a pretty depressing end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I messed with the T6 and the L39 and had some fun with those. It's not a total loss, I'll get 40 bucks worth of fun out of it eventually, and the Mustangs that work are still pretty fun to fly around, and maybe I'll get the hang of landing them without bouncing down the runway. Not the worst thing I've spent money on, but still frustrating.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Not the worst thing I've spent money on, but still frustrating.

New thread title?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Flight Sim Mega Thread: Not the worst thing I've spent money on, but still frustrating.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I bought it just for the L-39 and I am satisfied with my purchase, that poo poo's fun as gently caress to fly.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

I bought it just for the L-39 and I am satisfied with my purchase, that poo poo's fun as gently caress to fly.

If I ever get VR, I’ll probably fly exclusively in the L-39.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

anyone know of a sim chair that would work for both flight sims and racing wheels? is this a thing?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A MIRACLE posted:

anyone know of a sim chair that would work for both flight sims and racing wheels? is this a thing?

I had to build one. Pretty much nothing on the market will do both.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Just get a regular desk/gaming chair and get a setup like this (look around a lot before settling on one)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/12592501260...hantid=10252592

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

A MIRACLE posted:

I just got a SimFab hybrid setup for a DD wheel and center-mounted stick, and I'm over the loving moon about it. It takes 30 seconds to swap petals, which alone made it worth the upgrade from an old Obutto. It also takes up less space than the Obutto did, since you don't have this giant cage around your legs for no reason. That thing was so over-engineered.

SimFab is all about modularity, so if you email them the gear you want to use, I'll bet they could put together a suggested package for you. Use promo code "holy pigballs" for a generic error message.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ok, I figured out my problem with the non fuckered Mustangs. The ones that don't have a fuselage fuel tank will actually run for more than a couple minutes. The reason why they kept dying on me was because I was sending them to 70" of manifold pressure. The engine has a max pressure of 46" and it appears the gauge has a green line that goes up to 46" to indicate the safe manifold pressure range. Past that is war emergency power that goes up to like 67" of pressure but the engine can only run that for a few minutes and then it is basically scrapped. Normally there is supposed to be a bit of safety wire that you have to punch through with the throttle to get into that range, which obviously you can't really do in a sim. My complaint is that the engine hits 46" of pressure at 50% throttle which is doesn't seem all that realistic. I know most planes in this game don't have the option for WEP, so I guess it doesn't come up much, but it would be nice if there were an option to be able to use the full range of normal throttle and then be able to push a button for WEP to indicate I want the rest of the throttle range.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Look for a switch labelled "ADI", since I'm pretty sure Voodoo or Strega has one, but I'm not sure about the rest.

In the real world, those airplanes were pulling well over 100inHg during a race, but if the ADI system or radiator spraybar quit, the engine would fail pretty catastrophically shortly thereafter.

You can try turning off the engine damage in the realism settings, but I can't remember off the top of my head if that affects the Reno Mustangs or not.

There's also a very good chance you're running into a bug, since basically all of the P-51's are some kind of broken (although some manifest more in the racing mode), and Asobo has done a poo poo job of fixing that pack since it launched.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

When does real ATC typically assign an ifr approach? I ignore most of the ATC in Microsoft flight Sim, but I do like to check in with them to get an updated ifr approach assignment based on metar.
However, I feel like they always assign the approach so late that you have to backtrack to a transition point or spend 20 minutes getting routed out to one way too far. I’d prefer to just use Sim brief but it seems to struggle or not recommend the approach before takeoff. Is this just the disconnect between ATC in the flight sim being so bad or do pilots really not know for certain until they get so close to the airport?

I always figured they had a preplanned approach, but it can change in flight, just I wouldn’t expect it to be so close like 50 miles

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
About 50NM from your destination. Or whenever you get handed off to Approach Control, it should be some of the first bits of information given. It may be inferred from the ATIS if one is available, but many airports have more than one approach in use at a time so you still need to be told which one to expect.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
You’ll get it on the ATIS, and if there are parallel approaches in use, it’ll probably be the one on the side you’re approaching from.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

About 50NM from your destination. Or whenever you get handed off to Approach Control, it should be some of the first bits of information given. It may be inferred from the ATIS if one is available, but many airports have more than one approach in use at a time so you still need to be told which one to expect.

I guess what I don't get is if say your TOD is more than 50 nm out you are going to expect to descend before being given an approach and hold a lower altitude irl most of the time waiting for the approach? I got one routing in MSFS last night where the ATC wanted me to stay at my cruising altitude and go out deep to a transition point on the opposite side of the airport from me, while my VNAV was freaking out about my TOD being overshot because the approach i thought it would put me on was a much shorter flight time

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Be ungovernable, land on the taxiway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

I guess what I don't get is if say your TOD is more than 50 nm out you are going to expect to descend before being given an approach and hold a lower altitude irl most of the time waiting for the approach? I got one routing in MSFS last night where the ATC wanted me to stay at my cruising altitude and go out deep to a transition point on the opposite side of the airport from me, while my VNAV was freaking out about my TOD being overshot because the approach i thought it would put me on was a much shorter flight time

Hi, I’m a controller. The MSFS ATC is steaming microwaved dogshit; Don’t use it, it teaches you all the wrong things.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

theres no alternative besides vatsim though or just choosing my own approach off charts? like maybe there's flight planner out there than can live update me a good approach? I just don't like pre planning it before I even take off

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 3, 2024

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Cojawfee posted:

Be ungovernable, land on the taxiway.
Easy there, Harrison Ford.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

If you're flying to a major US airport you can look it up in https://datis.clowd.io/ mid-flight as a simulated ATIS. I don't know if there's similar resources for EU and elsewhere.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Be han solo, land on the taxiway.

Beaten

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ATIS only gives you active runway though right?

anyways, reviewing my little flight plan here last night, maybe the mistake I made was sim brief auto routed me to an approach from the east, but the real life active approach was from the west or had changed after i did the flight plan. so MSFS saw the last waypoint in the sim brief plan and said ok you want to be on the wrong side of the airport

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've attempted four flights out of ATL to the North (CRW, SDF) in the last few days and have had the sim freeze after 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, I was able to do a r/t to HSV with no issue.

Could this be a scenery problem? Do I need to clear the scenery cache or whatever it is?

This was after compressing a ton of files and getting 150GB of space back, if it matters.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ethanol posted:

ATIS only gives you active runway though right?

anyways, reviewing my little flight plan here last night, maybe the mistake I made was sim brief auto routed me to an approach from the east, but the real life active approach was from the west or had changed after i did the flight plan. so MSFS saw the last waypoint in the sim brief plan and said ok you want to be on the wrong side of the airport

At bigger airports, the ATIS will frequently say what approaches are in use (in LA it'll be something like "visual and ILS approaches for runway 24L and 25R are in use"), but that's just advisory, so pilots can request and/or ATC can assign something different.

In the real world, we'll take an educated guess at the landing runway and approach when we're loading up the FMS before departure, but we won't actually be told what approach to expect until we're 30-50 miles out.

Some airports are pretty predictable (Seattle landing south means we're getting the ILS or visual to 16R), but there's also been times where we've loaded and briefed four completely different approaches when the winds changed direction and ATC couldn't quite decide where to send us.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've attempted four flights out of ATL to the North (CRW, SDF) in the last few days and have had the sim freeze after 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, I was able to do a r/t to HSV with no issue.

Could this be a scenery problem? Do I need to clear the scenery cache or whatever it is?

This was after compressing a ton of files and getting 150GB of space back, if it matters.

Have you tried disabling all of your 3rd party stuff and seeing if the issue persists? That sounds like it's either some kind of weird conflict popping up, or maybe an OOM issue.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Nah the issue is that MSFS ATC is terrible. Don't try to make sense of it.

Real ATIS will give you the approach in use. For example:

Actual DTW ATIS posted:

DTW ARR INFO D 2253Z. 27005KT 10SM -DZ OVC033 01/M01 A2999 (TWO NINER NINER NINER). SIMUL ILS Z RY 22R AND RY 21L APCH IN USE. SIMULTANEOUS ARRIVAL AND, DEPARTURE OPERATIONS ARE IN USE, ON RY 22R AND RY 22L.

In Detroit they are using the ILS Z 22R and ILS Z 22L.

For any airport without any available ATIS you can pick what you want to try and fly it. (In sim, this isn't how real life works). Experiment and practice different approaches.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Carth Dookie posted:

Nice thing about gliders is you can share thermals with birds.

Some get territorial.. once had a golden eagle have a go at me at 9000’ in a thermal.. thought it was a hawk till it got close enough to see its outstretched claws were bigger than my hands :v:

Was too dumbstruck to be scared but if he didn’t dive out the way at the last second we both would’ve had a really bad day

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In the real world, if you’re going to basically any major airport, you’re going to get radar vectors onto the approach anyway, which MSFS ATC basically doesn’t do, because it also doesn’t sequence traffic. In the US you’ll also pretty much always get a visual when weather permits, which MSFS also doesn’t do.

My suggestion is to plan and fly the appropriate STAR (if there is one) and then select your desired approach as you’re passing through ~10k feet on the STAR based on weather, wind, and whim.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MrYenko posted:

In the real world, if you’re going to basically any major airport, you’re going to get radar vectors onto the approach anyway, which MSFS ATC basically doesn’t do, because it also doesn’t sequence traffic. In the US you’ll also pretty much always get a visual when weather permits, which MSFS also doesn’t do.

My suggestion is to plan and fly the appropriate STAR (if there is one) and then select your desired approach as you’re passing through ~10k feet on the STAR based on weather, wind, and whim.

If you fly into one airport a lot, like the one you use IRL the most, they usually will have approach plates online you can go off of for your descent profile. I have a binder with them printed out when I want to fly the approach that goes by my window. I'm usually off profile and too high despite this and knowing how to use the MCDU.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MrYenko posted:

ok admittedly STAR confuse and frighten my primitive mind and i've barely learned about them but I subbed to navigraph and their charts are helping me understand a little bit more of why being on the STAR would help a lot with what im talking about.

this might seem like a dumb question but without a STAR do you typically just choose a transition point that is closest to enroute?

also looking at logan on the charts, noticing that hotel at the end of the super short runway 32 is actually real and they won't take off in that direction lol.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

ok admittedly STAR confuse and frighten my primitive mind and i've barely learned about them but I subbed to navigraph and their charts are helping me understand a little bit more of why being on the STAR would help a lot with what im talking about.

this might seem like a dumb question but without a STAR do you typically just choose a transition point that is closest to enroute?

also looking at logan on the charts, noticing that hotel at the end of the super short runway 32 is actually real and they won't take off in that direction lol.

So in the real world, when you file a flight plan, it gets sent to the center where a bunch of automation is applied based on what type you are, what altitude you filed, and where your filed track takes you. Frequently (almost always,) this will change your filed route, adding (or changing) a SID, sometimes significantly changing your route after the SID, etc. These changes are all based on negotiated traffic flows inside and between ATC facilities.

Depending on the length of your flight (and again type and filed altitude,) further ATC facilities may, through several different mechanisms be required to issue either further route changes, different STARs, etc etc.

What I’m trying to say is that an IFR flight plan is not the stone-carved thing that many people (some actual IFR pilots included) seem to think.

My best suggestion for you is to go to skyvector, put in your departure and destination airports, click the route button, and look for a gavel icon:

Those will get you on the right track.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Simbrief should include a SID and STAR if the airport has one. It will also attempt to guess the departure and arrival runways (but not the approach) based on current weather. Just go with what they suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

ethanol posted:

theres no alternative besides vatsim

BeyondATC and SayIntentions.AI are coming soon hopefully.
BeyondATC is focused on ILS first and SayIntentions is targeting VFR for initial release.