Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Strep Vote posted:

Death to Israel is the only way forward for humanity. Death to ethno states and colonialism. Leave that poo poo in the garbage where it belongs.

I'm OK with Tonga for example being an ethno state. Seems to be necessary to prevent colonialism, even in some idealist future where the west is in the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

Well, it's like you'd normally have infantry screening armor to help prevent that sort of thing, but a) IDF infantry doesn't want to stand around in Gaza in the open and b) the tank's active defense system will turn anybody near it into chutney when it goes off.

This is what I thought. I can't imagine the idf infantry want to be anywhere near those things.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sounds like a tank equipped with a trophy system was designed to fight two kinds of opponents:

1. A peer rival with it's own tanks.

2. An opponent who cannot really harm the tank at all.

Whoops!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sounds like a tank equipped with a trophy system was designed to fight two kinds of opponents:

1. A peer rival with it's own tanks.

2. An opponent who cannot really harm the tank at all.

Whoops!

they started working on the system after their tanks were getting owned by rockets from range in Lebanon, but it turns out poo poo works differently in an urban environment. who would have thought. and hezbolla solved it anyways by essentially taping two launchers together.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Dec 30, 2023

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

fatelvis posted:

This is what I thought. I can't imagine the idf infantry want to be anywhere near those things.

Yep. And that's one reason why you can't always precisely take kill videos at face value; the system firing creates a fireball that can look an awful lot like a direct hit, and it's not like the Palestinian guys are dumb enough to stand around and try to get a really clear shot of the aftermath. Two-stage weapons, staggered firing, or zero-distance attacks can absolutely defeat it, though, and we've seen enough completely hosed tanks to know the $200 homemade RPGs are definitely causing the IDF pain.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

why have they not considered putting the entire tank inside a cage?

A vehicle comprised of pure Cope... it would be invincible

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Weka posted:

I'm OK with Tonga for example being an ethno state. Seems to be necessary to prevent colonialism, even in some idealist future where the west is in the toilet.

I met a guy from Tonga in college and according to him it sucked rear end and is/was then a terrible, nepotistic hell-hole where the ruling family fucks everybody else over constantly. The guy himself had no political agenda that I could figure out except not wanting to live in Tonga ever again. This was all right before the riots in 2006-2008 so maybe it's better now?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Chillgamesh posted:

A vehicle comprised of pure Cope... it would be invincible

In the UK we call it Challenger 2

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Griz posted:

- it seems to either have a coverage gap directly above or its sensors are set to ignore small slow quadrotors because there's a bunch of videos of grenades being dropped directly onto tanks

China has the world's only APS designed to fire upwards. Literally no one else does it. Because China designed theirs to fight US lofted munitions like TOW-2 and Javelin, whereas everyone else designed theirs to fight RPGs.

That said, it wouldn't help against drones, because drones are very, very slow compared to rockets, missiles and tank shells. If you tuned it to fire at things as slow as quadrotors, it would fire at birds, and you'd be out of charges before you even got to combat, even if you didn't kill any friendlies on the way.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

The Voice of Labor posted:

this just in: m*ckey m*use loves and unconditionally supports hamas and the liberation of palestine

Reported for copyright. Technically you will have to wait til January 1 to use Mickey Mouse and only in his original Steamboat Willie configuration :spergin:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Steamboat Fafour says it's a surprise tool that will help us defeat active protection systems on enemy armored vehicles.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Dokapon Findom posted:

Reported for copyright. Technically you will have to wait til January 1 to use Mickey Mouse and only in his original Steamboat Willie configuration :spergin:

cop

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The only use case where there isn't a massive flaw w/ the Trophy system seems to be if you're out in a wide open area, where your screens can stand well out of trophy range, and enemies can't sneak up on it. But also your enemy can't fire two rockets subsequently.

It doesn't work up close, so you need a screen to prevent ACME tier sabotage, but it's also actively harmful to nearby personnel, so you have to pick between it & infantry outside of the "open kill zone" scenario.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

The only use case where there isn't a massive flaw w/ the Trophy system seems to be if you're out in a wide open area, where your screens can stand well out of trophy range, and enemies can't sneak up on it. But also your enemy can't fire two rockets subsequently.

It doesn't work up close, so you need a screen to prevent ACME tier sabotage, but it's also actively harmful to nearby personnel, so you have to pick between it & infantry outside of the "open kill zone" scenario.

They're handy vs a lot of long range ATGM systems which coincidentally is what Hezbollah used to pants the idf back in the 2006 war.

But this isn't that war.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

I said come in! posted:

I still play Age of Empires 2 to this day.

Hey guys, Spirit of the Law here...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Mandoric posted:

It was at around 17:10~17:13 if anyone else is looking. Framing was heavy on the anti-war-ism, to borrow the phrase--his last recorded interview, followed by the reading over footage that transitions from aftermath footage in the first part to Palestinian children playing happily in the second.

The translation they went with scans well, though it was subs on Brian Cox's reading.

thanks for posting this. I really had no idea how Japanese TV would be covering this. glad they shared something positive for the movement

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the Eilat longshoreman has become the maytag repairman of our times

https://x.com/TheCradleMedia/status/1741118159262793970?s=20

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh. Father forced off home and olive orchard burned in '48. Says he feels all alone against the Zionist occupiers. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple.Tune in to Tomorrow's Pioneers and watch great costumed mascott Farfour Mouse. That should pick you up."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I still play Age of Empires 2 to this day.

It's still getting patches and DLC. There's literal months of gameplay just from the campaigns even if you never touch MP or skirmishes.

Probably the best RTS on the market rn, and has been for a while

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/revolutionaryem/status/1741126034894753938

drill baby drill

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Solzhenidiot/status/1741074393009213723?t=DCrJseuS-DszKXlv8_oHtQ&s=19

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Yeah, that's right. Who are you gonna report me to??? :twisted:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

allah

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Strep Vote posted:

Death to Israel is the only way forward for humanity. Death to ethno states and colonialism. Leave that poo poo in the garbage where it belongs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWICOht1Ago

You going to any protests or are you sitting on your rear end?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

China has the world's only APS designed to fire upwards. Literally no one else does it. Because China designed theirs to fight US lofted munitions like TOW-2 and Javelin, whereas everyone else designed theirs to fight RPGs.

That said, it wouldn't help against drones, because drones are very, very slow compared to rockets, missiles and tank shells. If you tuned it to fire at things as slow as quadrotors, it would fire at birds, and you'd be out of charges before you even got to combat, even if you didn't kill any friendlies on the way.

It's time for China to go to war against the sparrows again.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Owlbear Camus posted:

is a port still a port if there are no ships

makes u think

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Strep Vote posted:

This one hates Jews a lot.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Biden statement today

quote:

Overnight, Israel launched its largest aerial assault on Gaza since this war began. This massive bombardment used drones and missiles, including missiles with hypersonic capability, to strike cities and civilian infrastructure all across Gaza. Strikes reportedly hit a maternity hospital, a shopping mall, and residential areas—killing innocent people and injuring dozens more. It is a stark reminder to the world that, after nearly two years of this devastating war, Netenyahu's objective remains unchanged. He seeks to obliterate Palestine and subjugate its people. He must be stopped.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Woman is taken hostage, is not killed, is given surgery for a gunshot wound, and is then released: "I went through a Holocaust".

https://www.timesofisrael.com/freed-hostage-mia-schem-i-experienced-hell-everyone-in-gaza-is-a-terrorist/

Some absolutely insane quotes

quote:

“It’s important to me to reveal the real situation about the people who live in Gaza, who they really are, and what I went through there,” she told Channel 13 news. “I experienced hell. Everyone there are terrorists… there are no innocent civilians, not one”

quote:

There’s a terrorist, who is watching you 24/7, who is raping you with his eyes… an evil stare.

quote:

Schem said she believes the only reason her captor did not rape her is that “his wife and children were in the next room"

quote:

She described a moment when one of the youngest children of the family entered her room, “opened a bag of sweets, closed it, came up next to me, opened the bag, closed it and then left.” Schem said she felt only “pure hatred. There are no innocent citizens there"

I thought the Holocaust was mostly about mass murder and death camps, and not about being given the stinkeye or a kid not sharing their candy. I guess it's remembered differently in Israel.

The article says a lot about how broken the brains of Zionists are. Much of her story is not about what Hamas actually did to her, but about how she can't see her captors as human, and so she imagines all the evil things the Gazans must be thinking and planning to do to her.

Since the media are pushing this story, I guess they couldn't find any hostages who were actually subjected to atrocities.

Esran has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Dec 31, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
“they offered me free parking” *sobs*

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's so funny that the best they could do is this obvious dullard. "They operated on me without anaesthesia. Anyway, then they put me under."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Owlbear Camus posted:

the houthis successfully did what that loser gamal abdel nasser couldnt do, incredible.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
a kid was a little poo poo to me, time for mass murder

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Concern: this assumes the US isn't suicidally short sighted and militaristic.

I've been thinking the joint chiefs are doing a version of the dead parrot monty python sketch about US capabilities every day. Biden asks yet again why we aren't bombing Yemen and the joint chiefs are like the number of missiles we have available to shoot is still zero. Absence of missiles is what we have. We want to shoot missiles, but that requires having a number greater than zero to actually shoot them. Where the missile we would shoot at Yemen normally sit a piece of paper says 'sorry sent to ukraine'. A positive number of missiles is something we are pursuing, but we still have a non-positive number. etc

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

using the free characters in the transponder to cheer ansarallah in hopes they don't sink my ship

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Netanyahu is pooping his pamps, says that he wants to tear up the camp david agreement with Egypt that forces a demilitazed zone on the 'philadelphia' border, says that israel must have total military control of the border.

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1741174070119375124?s=20

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My prison guard was obsessed. He wouldn't stop staring at me.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Netanyahu is pooping his pamps, says that he wants to tear up the camp david agreement with Egypt that forces a demilitazed zone on the 'philadelphia' border, says that israel must have total military control of the border.

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1741174070119375124?s=20

How, uh.... how's he planning to move troops back and forth to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

using the free characters in the transponder to cheer ansarallah in hopes they don't sink my ship

DESTINATION: ANSARALLAH FTW