Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
7 rules but does have massive pacing issues as explained, so the ideal way to experience it is through Super Robot Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think delta's fine up through the first half but after that it's pretty clear production got messed up

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Delta's antagonists and final conflict are super uninteresting and underbaked. Freya's charisma is enough to make it watchable but the second half feels super disappointing cause of it

The second Delta movie OTOH is actually a pretty good watch with a very nice bittersweet ending

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I still find it so weird that the show just sort of... didn't do anything with the Lady M plot point, which would have been an easy slam dunk way to circle back to the original triangle without having to actually circle back to the original triangle just to make everyone happy.

I don't even know if it was meant to just be another long troll like Bilrer's locket in Frontier, or worse, Sousei no Aquarion and Aquarion EVOL, because it's totally in Kawamori's wheelhouse to just do something out of spite.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I don't really like Frontier. It feels like its Macross trying to be Gundam instead of Macross, in all of the worst possible ways.

I've also always been more of a fan of the Macross 7 era of Macross music, where they went with a completely different genre (Rock and Roll), instead of Idols. And I have issues with Idol culture in general, anyway.

But man, VF-X 2 had a great intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Iqz15YBlE

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 20, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ardeem posted:

The second Frontier movie has the cast put together a Fire Bomber tribute band called Lovely Bomber.

I have never seen the movies, but I should know this from SRW. I am ashamed and will go apologize to Fire Bomber right now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've only really seen 7 and Frontier, but 7 is the only one of those I really liked.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The big difference between Frontier and Delta is how the main characters move through their arcs in the show. In Delta, Freya and Hayate attain their personal goals in about episode 5. The story of how they grow into their new roles is pretty good, but to me it lacks the depth of Sheryl, Alto and Ranka trying to figure out who they are and what their life should be like.

Also, if you've only watched the series or the movies for Frontier, watch the other format too. They have characters, themes, and some plot points in common, but they're wildly different stories.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one of my favorite bits in frontier is how fire bomber is now dad rock

Always was

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

mllaneza posted:

The big difference between Frontier and Delta is how the main characters move through their arcs in the show. In Delta, Freya and Hayate attain their personal goals in about episode 5. The story of how they grow into their new roles is pretty good, but to me it lacks the depth of Sheryl, Alto and Ranka trying to figure out who they are and what their life should be like.

Also, if you've only watched the series or the movies for Frontier, watch the other format too. They have characters, themes, and some plot points in common, but they're wildly different stories.

I wish they did more with Mirage. She was positioned to have her own problems of trying to live up to the reputation that her last name brings, and then that never really got explored. She was barely even a factor in the love triangle either.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Only really tried to watch Frontier once ages ago and the concerts and certain impeccably-scored dramtic scenes are all I really remember, but the second movie is one of my favorite things ever.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
"The Galaxy Is Calling Me" is the best Macross 7 because it's everything good about 7 all in one episode. (no spoilers)

- Basara saying listen to my song
- Someone else also saying that and having some conflict but then fighting the true enemy (the big bads from the main show)
- A nice big battle at the end
- Sound Force rolls in and helps
- a nice twist with the other character
- good original songs

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

I was OK with Delta. People complain about the idol aspect of it, but I like all the music from it (and I like the live concerts), and Macross was always about idols anyways so it doesn't bother me. it suffers though from the opposite of 7 in that the story was very clearly written to be a certain amount of episodes, but only got greenlit for less episodes than needed, so some storylines (important ones, at that), just straight up get dropped, and only kind of referenced near the end. The Delta movies are the same situation as Frontier; recaps but not.

I don't really recall anyone complaining too much about the idols in Delta, because as you say Macross has been about idols since the get go.

I think it has the opposite problem that you say here - there's way too little butter to spread across way too much bread, so they end up pointlessly drawing out the few major plot points they have to work with and end up with a ton of boring nothing episodes where they repeat the cycle of "protagonists go somewhere and sing, windermerians show up and shoot at them, fight ensues, everyone goes home to repeat the process later" an interminable amount of times with no meaningful forward progress. Stuff like Mikumo being a weird protoculture clone and Hayate's dad being a war criminal but not really are drawn out for an agonizing amount of time and by the time the show deigns to poo poo or get off the pot about them the outcome has been obvious to the viewer for several hours. The show has enough actual content for half as many episodes.

There's also the problem that the fight choreography is absolutely terrible, which is an absolute mortal sin in a goddamned Macross show, but that's an entirely separate issue.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

I still find it so weird that the show just sort of... didn't do anything with the Lady M plot point, which would have been an easy slam dunk way to circle back to the original triangle without having to actually circle back to the original triangle just to make everyone happy.

I don't even know if it was meant to just be another long troll like Bilrer's locket in Frontier, or worse, Sousei no Aquarion and Aquarion EVOL, because it's totally in Kawamori's wheelhouse to just do something out of spite.

Originally they didn't want to touch the original trio because their story was done, and Arihiro Hase committed suicide.

I think now they're just mildly trolling the boomer fans since they won't let go.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I also love Fire Bomber, man they rock. Yoshiki Fukuyama and Humming Bird albums too.

Here's a song of theirs also used as an OP for an anime about a puppet Sakon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA__lbcnohM

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 22, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, Bullbuster finished as it started. Not very good.

One thing that stood out to me was how little of a drat it gave about its cast as people. It only revealed the head of the company was having trouble in his marriage and putting off a divorce in the episode where he got divorced. We didn't see people outside of work, we didn't learn about their hobbies, we didn't even get to see the dog much, despite it being prominent in the ED. Instead, we just had stretched out plot progression, with multiple episodes spent just worrying about the merger before reaching the "no because they're supervillains" conclusion that was obvious from episode 1. (And something the aforementioned supervillains made easier by including one "forcibly retire a guy just to be a dick" clause in the contract, despite them being so desperate to get the protagonists to sign a NDA that they're bending over backwards on everything else.)

It stands out more in Bullbuster than a lot of mech shows because there's so little else. You can do a fun slice of life thing like big chunks of Patlabor or (more recently) Synduality Noir and it's fine that the wider plot is slow moving or outright ignored sometimes. You can do a more action focused series like Mazinkaizer SKL or Mellowlink, and it's fine that the characters are thin. But Bullbuster has very little action, the Big Twist is obvious from having seen a movie, book, or TV show before, and the CG is unappealing. With that, and a plot revolving around dull corporate minutia at least as much as it did around robots and monsters, you need the cast to be strong and fleshed out. Instead, they're basically just their roles in the plot. Even things like the protagonist's poor people skills and fear of failure felt more like setups for time-filling conflict than something organic to him as a rounded person.

At this point, it's a garbage show already, but the thing that really gets to me is the show's approach to realism. That is, it tries to get gags and defend dull plot points by leaning on "realistic" small business bits, like worrying about timecards and expenses for ammo. But then the show fails to actually lean into the realism, with things like ridiculously cheap mechs, no-one even thinking of mechs as notable while not having any setting details to explain why this 2019 has killbots, and in one of the most glaring single moments, there's the ending.

The villain laughed at the hero that he was getting out clean. Face to face.

At an airport.

While he was carrying an illegal bioweapon (that can't be deployed at the airport so no risk) in his suitcase.

Then the hero shook his fist impotently and swore to stop him some day, rather than go "Oh, hey, this guy's got 110mls of soda in his bag." to security and watch as the villain's superweapon gets stolen by some underpaid security guard.

It's a show that leans into "relatable" aspects in the worst way, using them as an excuse to avoid doing anything interesting, rather than springboarding off them to have an interesting cast, unique situations, or clever jokes.

But it made me think more about how good Patlabor is, so that's nice. I hope we get EZY next year as advertised. I've still got the live action show to watch, but if it's up to the old standards I'm not going to turn more down.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Sounds to me like a show that will end up shining if it ever gets into a SRW game then

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't really argue subjective taste, but saying the President being estranged from his family wasn't hinted in multiple scenes before that episode isn't true, you could glean that just from the first scene of him coming home to his apartment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MechaBREAK/status/1739178061890011526?t=0eGkArRPMjyqAi1GQw0WlA&s=19

Twisted bastards

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
More on the upcoming Code Geass anime...someone has uploaded an extended PV (with fan subs), which does tell us more about what they're going for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VF2jn8FVUU

A little cryptic, but still provides food for thought. It's got the potential to be pretty interesting.

Mecha-wise, it's curious how this seems to be a sequel to the 2019 movie, but they're mostly using melee or close combat. Not a complaint, mind you!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is it a sequel to the movie? I doubt Britannians would still be mass murdering Japanese people under Nunnally 's rule

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Blockhouse posted:

Is it a sequel to the movie? I doubt Britannians would still be mass murdering Japanese people under Nunnally 's rule

As far as we can tell, yes it is. No specific setting details available right now, but I'm assuming this is likely an offshoot or splinter group of some kind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They just announced the Macross 2 Blu-ray will have the dub.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New dub or the old dub with the near-comatose alcoholic pilot who flies Hibiki around?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They said “the dub” so I assume they meant the existing one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well it's not a terrible dub, per se, and I'm always happy to see old dubs preserved like this, so that's cool.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
The original dub is kinda mediocre, but I think they did pretty good with the music so its worth it just for that.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Votoms is kind of refreshing after Victory Gundam. I’m just on episode 7 but it threads the needle between having a dark setting that’s also a little weird in a science opera way with a mix of grounded soldier and military characters and goofy crooks. It helps that the action’s way better than Dougram’s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Smaller mecha do have an advantage in that you can create some pretty interesting action scenes where they have to move around the environment in a way that bigger mecha can't. Scopedogs are cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at least 30% of the appeal of scopedogs is their movement sfx.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i remember pirating a ps2 votoms game that was really really good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Smaller mecha do have an advantage in that you can create some pretty interesting action scenes where they have to move around the environment in a way that bigger mecha can't. Scopedogs are cool.

The issue isn't even that bigger mechs can't use their environments. (Godzilla films come to mind). It's that so often they don't bother. (Gundam sometimes goes even further, with space fights where you have no environmental considerations at all.)

Small mechs, by contrast, can't help but interact with the environment. 15 foot mechs can disappear behind a McDaniels, so you have to consider every building around, rather than just shrugging them off.

That said, I wasn't as into VOTOMs's fights. Mellowlink had a ton of really creative action scenes, but VOTOMs started to feel repetitive well before the end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best small mech fights are in Girls und Panzer

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The best small mech fights are in Girls und Panzer

But tanks don't count as mechanized. They're armored. (I think.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IFVs and APCs are mechanized but I don't think they show up in Girls Und Panzer.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Jank as the animation could be, there was a classic war movie sensibility to Dougram's combat scenes that I really liked. There's a lot of episodes that boil down to "the gang advances a little and Crinn blows up three Soltics and a couple of Dueys", but even then there's some oldschool action with the Fang of the Sun fighting off Federation platoons, disarming mines, crossing bridges under fire and so on. It helped set up some stuff that you don't get to see normally like the good guys simply failing at a job without it being the end of the world, or that bleak episode where they're meticulously planning an assault on a Feddie base only to find out that they seriously outgun its weak garrison and kill them all without any real opposition.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Macross II is getting a 4K release as part of the kickstarter.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I got an idea prompt for you all:
What if you switched up the getter team into the gurren lagann universe, and put Kamina, Simon and Viral in one of the Getter series as main pilots.

Go crazym give me some cool ideas.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Siegkrow posted:

I got an idea prompt for you all:
What if you switched up the getter team into the gurren lagann universe, and put Kamina, Simon and Viral in one of the Getter series as main pilots.

Go crazym give me some cool ideas.

Real question: would there actually be a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
let the gunbuster gals pilot getter machines