Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Slash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMAu_mCxoII

New Linus video has some amazing audiophile nonsense products.

Well of course these philistines can't appreciate the vast improvements the products in the video provide. For one, they don't have the years of critical listening experience required to detect the differences these products make, which are honestly massive according to the tests I conducted with them in my own laboratory. These are powerful tools that operate at the highest echelons of human sensory perception, so of course a bunch of video gamers who play Fortnite listening on Beats headphones, or worse, a Bose system, won't be able to detect the improvements made by these top quality instruments of audio integrity preservation.

“Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." - Matthew 7:6

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$6000 headphones that is decidedly inferior in every metric versus a pair of $2000 studio monitors, and somehow even less efficient than passive speakers

which is of course because ASR didn't test it with the accompanying $26000 amp

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Comparing headphones to speakers is an incredibly stupid thing to do in all honesty.

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text
The whole of ASR is incredibly stupid and beyond shining a light on some of the more obvious trash out there, is obviously agenda driven and full of the most unpleasant assholes around who routinely mistake snark for wit.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
ASR exists solely for posts from Amir and like 4 other people who test their gear to a similar standard, the rest of the forum is a complete waste of time.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mederlock posted:

ASR exists solely for posts from Amir

Don’t forget that he started it after getting booted from his admin role at What’s Best Forum because he started arbitrarily deleting posts and banning people he didn’t like.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's always something with these guys

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Think about all the veils that will be lifted when you clean all your SACDs with this audiophile microfiber cloth:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

All things considered, that could have been much worse

Still though, lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Godzilla07 posted:

Think about all the veils that will be lifted when you clean all your SACDs with this audiophile microfiber cloth:

14 5-star reviews lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Audiophile Snake Oil and Foolishness Thread 2: ahp Klangtuch IV

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Did anybody catch the end of the description where it mentions that the guy who made this thing also makes an audiophile fuse (called The Critical Link), too?

I’m such a fool. I had no idea you could get fuses that improved headroom and increased clarity in the transients!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 31, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Did anybody catch the end of the description where it mentions that the guy who made this thing also makea audiophile fuse (called The Critical Link), too?

I’m such a fool. I had no idea you could get fuses that improved headroom and increased clarity in the transients!

Hey, donchya know that a Hifi system is only as strong as it's weakest link. Imagine not knowing all of the experiences you can take in from your Hifi system when every part of the signal chain, even including the lowliest components such as fuses, is fine tuned to perfection :colbert:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Godzilla07 posted:

gently polishing my American Psycho BD with the anti-static cloth so that nothing interferes with the audiovisual display of Christian Bale's greatest performance before placing it into a bespoke bluray player hand-assembled by technoshamans in Utah, actuating the play button through a long coil of wire leading to the ten thousand dollar control console by my couch (IR signals could distort the display and the leftover radiation can cause all kinds of problems), and smirking silently in the dark at Bateman's bitch-tier AV system

I'd kill a coworker and a bunch of prostitutes if I had to use a Walkman, too

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Changing my username to “German Sound Tinker”

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

German Sound Tinkler

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I still think we should start our goon project snake oil company

Goonemaede Audio: Purveyors of the World's Finest Digital Noise Reducers and Soundstage Defoggers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

trilobite terror posted:

I still think we should start our goon project snake oil company

Goonemaede Audio: Purveyors of the World's Finest Digital Noise Reducers and Soundstage Defoggers

Meh, after a brand literally called poo poo nothing's funy anymore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Meh, after a brand literally called poo poo nothing's funy anymore.

schiit products are mostly fine tho

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

trilobite terror posted:

Well sure, Alibaba can't just ship all bad stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well sure, Alibaba can't just ship all bad stuff.

what

what does this post even mean?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

they used to be pretty bad but amir successfully bullied them into getting it together

early on their amps didn't even have power on relays so they could easily blow up your headphones

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love it when ppl post nonsense accusatory word salad and then peace tf out when asked to substantiate

like, there’s a fuckton of criticisms that you could make about schiit and about their fans, community, design choices, philosophy, etc, but “alibaba product” definitely isn’t one of them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm ordering them from Alibaba right now. What are you going to do about it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm ordering them from Alibaba right now. What are you going to do about it?

lol no you aren’t

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

I love it when ppl post nonsense accusatory word salad and then peace tf out when asked to substantiate

like, there’s a fuckton of criticisms that you could make about schiit and about their fans, community, design choices, philosophy, etc, but “alibaba product” definitely isn’t one of them

personally my problem is that i keep watching this drat show about their creek and there's no audio talk in it at all. why sponsor a show if you're not even gonna promote your products? why is it all this gay poo poo instead?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

personally my problem is that i keep watching this drat show about their creek and there's no audio talk in it at all. why sponsor a show if you're not even gonna promote your products? why is it all this gay poo poo instead?

TOYM

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

what's gay about the show? I haven't watched a whole lot of it but I'm pretty sure there isn't any homosexual relationships going on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tater_salad posted:

what's gay about the show? I haven't watched a whole lot of it but I'm pretty sure there isn't any homosexual relationships going on.

oh god i was trying to make a joke but the question mark is a link to an article discussing dan levy's character's gay relationship on the show and there's some other stuff with bi/pansexuality as well. it's very gay.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is it audiophile snake oil or foolishness talk if I say I bought an aliexpress DBX PA2 clone and it's honestly fine?

I built a nice Bill Fitzmaurice PA kit over a decade ago now and being broke the kit that did the EQ and limiting was Behringer stuff, a DEQ2496 and a DCX2496. This worked faultlessly and sounded real nice until the power supply on the DCX started playing up and eventually died. If I were still using the kit for the occasional gig I'd absolutely buy a legit PA2 but it has been relegated to a workshop soundsystem so I decided to try a clone safe in the knowledge that my credit card company would refund my £165 in the case of the vendor trying anything.

And I don't know what I can say really, it turned up after a month and the packaging is DBX packaging but without the DBX logo. The unit itself has a sticker where the DBX logo should be and it powers up with a DBX front end and does everything a DBX PA2 does. And audio wise it sounds pretty great, I've not tweaked it, just ran the wizards and set the crossover/delays. I did see a dissection of one of these clones on another site and they mentioned that the capacitors are 'out of spec' and show some testing of the unit which suggests it isn't good but my ears say it's absolutely fine. I know there are various factories making cloned and maybe I got a unit from a good one :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My general impression is that the "audiophile" crowd despises equalizers, so owning and using one already sets you apart.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah dont' adjust the sound with silly tools.. enhance it with $300 devices that keep your cables from touching the floor.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Digital Signal Processing? Hokum! Balderdash!

Brilliant pebbles and expensive cables? Yes please!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tater_salad posted:

yeah dont' adjust the sound with silly tools.. enhance it with $300 devices that keep your cables from touching the floor.

If you're making changes a normie can hear then clearly your system must have been poo poo. A proper audiophile only needs to tweak the subtle things that only other golden ears can detect.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Friendly reminder to spend more on your family and less on stereo equipment

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2024

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Mr. Mercury posted:

Friendly reminder to spend more on your family and less on stereo equipment

free link of the story.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

drat, wish my ALS having dad would have had the foresight to build the world's greatest stereo for me to inherit.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The estate sale for that guy happened a little while back: http://auction.ebidlocal.com/Public...GtTQItkaw%3d%3d

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
my name is Ozymandias, king of kings: look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

And if you sit right…here it’s like Diana Krall is in the room with you, the whole soundstage just opens up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
He wasn’t even a true audiophile, he had the audacity to build his own equipment.

How can they possibly be the best sounding speakers in the world if they don’t even have a brand logo on them so you can know for sure you paid for the best?

Also, check out the photos of that stereo system in the article. Imagine losing your entire family over a stereo system that doesn’t even have cable lifters.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 13, 2024