Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite "C" team?
Cardinals
Clions
Colts
Cowboys
Chiefs
Chargers
C Hawks
Caints
Can't choose
View Results

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BonoMan posted:

The ref didn't report 68 eligible so the D didn't cover him. Do you think, if he was properly reported and the D was informed that the play would have happened just like that?

I think the answer to that is "probably". 70 being declared as eligible wouldn't make sense to a defense - he was the right guard, covered by both a right tackle and a right tight end. 68 only had a wide receiver to his left, back a half/full yard behind the line of scrimmage. Probably looks like a tight end by default.

68 really did execute a very good delay - he was blocking for a drat long time before releasing. But, announcing 68 could've given the defense a heads-up that something funky might be coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

this is getting bland.. bring out the entree already. this is boring!!!

We already brought out Bland and he picked off your garbage quarterback

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Lady Radia posted:

this is getting bland.. bring out the entree already. this is boring!!!

Good news, the entree is going to be watching the Cowboys lose in Tampa in the Wildcard round.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Unnamed One posted:

Imagine defending NFL referees and the Dallas Cowboys' honor in 2023.

I couldn't bear to live with the shame

It's a bleak world we live in

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The 7th Guest posted:

i do like how people seem so assured that the defense would stop the lineman TD even though eligible linemen have caught TDs time and again year in and year out in nfl history

if any team with a gaggle of quality skill players has an eligible lineman, defenses are going to cover the quality skill players and not the plodding guy imo. that's usually why it works

Not an OL man but I remember Mike Vrabel who was by rate the most successful receiver in NFL history checking in and reporting every time on the goal line.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

illcendiary posted:

Yes, because the intent was never to have 70 be the eligible receiver. He was covered on the play and it would’ve been illegal formation in addition to the illegal touch by Decker. Multiple Lions mistakes there by attempting subterfuge in a full disclosure situation

Maybe they should hire refs who aren’t doddering dementia cases so they don’t get confused and distracted by whichever player passes through their line of vision last.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

CharlestheHammer posted:

What are you talking about? I don’t give a poo poo about that. The game didn’t end there. The lions had 2 more plays to win it or tie it up and go to OT. That’s what I’m talking about

Did you watch the game friend?

The game did end there hence all this discussion or are you one of those morons who act like reffing doesnt alter the outcomes of games? Thats kinda sad if you think that way

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
I just don’t get why some are so loathe to admit the refs may have made a mistake. It happens. A lot.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The Unnamed One posted:

Imagine defending NFL referees and the Dallas Cowboys' honor in 2023.

I couldn't bear to live with the shame

Name a worse duo.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

blarzgh posted:

We already brought out Bland and he picked off your garbage quarterback

im not a lions fan yet!! nice try!!! any other moves?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
The bungling of the call was bullshit but so was Detroit’s red zone offense for most of the game and they probably shouldn’t have gone for 2 in the first place. Also, the Cowboys are going to lose to Baker Mayfield in the playoffs. This, we can all agree upon.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

RandomHodge posted:

I just don’t get why some are so loathe to admit the refs may have made a mistake. It happens. A lot.

bruh they're fans of the Cowboys in 2023

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

Campbell said they explained what they were going to do before the game. it wasn't to confuse the refs

Sounds like he didn't do a very good job!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Dumbass ref is convinced 70 reported, which will be fun when he gets film:

https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/1741329621113594328?t=88HTJDddqL6dEjEMuYgVtQ&s=19

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

It's 70's fault he didn't check that grandpa understood

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

yeah I don't think Dallas defense is so good that they're definitley sniffing out a trick play on the fly

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

blarzgh posted:

or that the octogenarians they have reffing these games hosed up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RandomHodge posted:

it's a helpful distraction from thinking about the fact that dallas nearly blew it and has been dogshit since week 13, with the exception of their win over the eagles who are themselves frauds

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

facialimpediment posted:

I think the answer to that is "probably". 70 being declared as eligible wouldn't make sense to a defense - he was the right guard, covered by both a right tackle and a right tight end. 68 only had a wide receiver to his left, back a half/full yard behind the line of scrimmage. Probably looks like a tight end by default.

68 really did execute a very good delay - he was blocking for a drat long time before releasing. But, announcing 68 could've given the defense a heads-up that something funky might be coming!

Yeah he really did nail the play and I hate that for him. No idea if it really would have made all the difference but I agree more attention likely would have been paid to him. Who knows.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

blarzgh posted:

you don't have to weirdly defend a ref fuckup to be happy for the Cowboys, if I was a fan of Dallas I'd be psyched that we just stole one

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

im not worried about it. the detroit lions are a good team

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/1741329621113594328?t=88HTJDddqL6dEjEMuYgVtQ&s=19

lol 70 is lined up at guard, not tackle, the refs hosed this up SO BAD

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

RandomHodge posted:

They did! They declared 70 eligible! They told the whole world, including the Lions!

But moron lions fans think, "well then 68 should just have been allowed to catch the pass anyway!"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

AndrewP posted:

you don't have to weirdly defend a ref fuckup to be happy for the Cowboys, if I was a fan of Dallas I'd be psyched that we just stole one

yeah seriously!! god the fanbases in TFF are so weird!!!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Fat Jesus posted:

It's 70's fault he didn't check that grandpa understood

Grampa announced it to the whole stadium before the play.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RandomHodge posted:

It's all Cowboys fans and one Packers fan who is A) Pretty dumb, and B) really, really, really hates that he keeps saying the Lions are gonna suck and keeps being wrong. It's all just partisan posting, nothing that defies explanation.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Good job you confused the refs lol

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The refereeing in the game was just really, truly, spectacularly bad.

https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/status/1741320273536630830?t=Z4VyPFDQiUq5n3pt_qfU5A&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Papercut posted:

lol 70 is lined up at guard, not tackle, the refs hosed this up SO BAD

But you see, that's why they threw a second flag for an illegal formation! Because the eligible guard was covered up by the tackle!

.... instead of whoopsie I heard the wrong thing and forgot I was briefed ahead of time by the coaching staff

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

blarzgh posted:

Grampa announced it to the whole stadium before the play.

This is what I don't get. The ref absolutely hosed up but did nobody on the Lions actually listen to who he said was eligible??

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

AndrewP posted:

cowboy fans gotta peacock about this tho, gotta rub it in the faces of a historically losing franchise or something i dont know

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

im not a lions fan yet!! nice try!!! any other moves?

Well you seem like a perennial loser so you could see how I made the mistake

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

im not worried about it. the detroit lions are a good team

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

facialimpediment posted:

I mean if I imagine myself as the ref here I'm in full on cover your rear end mode too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BonoMan posted:

This is what I don't get. The ref absolutely hosed up but did nobody on the Lions actually listen to who he said was eligible??

what should they have done? they didn't have a timeout

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's a helpful distraction from thinking about the fact that dallas nearly blew it and has been dogshit since week 13, with the exception of their win over the eagles who are themselves frauds

The cowboys suck rear end and are losing to the Bucs, doesn’t change the fact that the Lions played themselves (and are losing in round one to the Rams)

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

You also “have to be covered” now :confused:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

BonoMan posted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Master Stur posted:

The game did end there hence all this discussion or are you one of those morons who act like reffing doesnt alter the outcomes of games? Thats kinda sad if you think that way

So the game ended there and the lions won? Then why is everyone so upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

BonoMan posted:

Dan Skipper yelled "I DIDN'T SAY A loving WORD".