Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I had an outlet but since it was outside I had it swapped to hardwired. Harder for it to walk away that way, too.

I meant the type where the EVSE is hard wired and attached to the wall, but instead of having a tethered cable it has a Type 2 socket. The same setup you'd see at a public AC charger in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I had an outlet but since it was outside I had it swapped to hardwired. Harder for it to walk away that way, too.

Isn’t any to code outdoor 240 outlet going to have a locking door?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dissss posted:

I meant the type where the EVSE is hard wired and attached to the wall, but instead of having a tethered cable it has a Type 2 socket. The same setup you'd see at a public AC charger in Europe.

Is an electric shower like a bunch of lightning spraying all over you? :ohdear:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
These kinda horrifying things which are quite popular in the UK

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That’s a shower.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

dissss posted:

Half the world uses these things

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Isn’t any to code outdoor 240 outlet going to have a locking door?

Sure but the outlet that was installed by the PO was pretty flimsy plastic.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Half the world uses these things

Half the world doesn’t have clean drinking water, the UK is yet to master safe indoor plumbing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

dissss posted:

that makes sense. it's a country that thinks a bread sandwich is more delicious than any american food

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

that makes sense. it's a country that thinks a bread sandwich is more delicious than any american food

is that not just a loaf of bread

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

QuarkJets posted:

is that not just a loaf of bread

no, of course not. you see, the bread in the middle of the two other slices, is relatively harder. either by toasting or perhaps by simply exposing to open air. you see, this is Cuisine. not like that curry that's way too hot

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Adventures in electric car ownership. I tried using the L1 charger that the car comes with to charge in the garage just to see what would happen.

Am I doing something terribly wrong with my L1 charger? I started at 74%, and I swear that other L1 chargers I've used go at least a little faster. Or are all L1 chargers not the same, and whatever box that BMW gave me with the car doesn't charge as fast as other L1 chargers? The car is set to charge at "unlimited" current limit for AC charging too.

In all reality at the rate it was charging, going overnight would be enough for the daily expected trips so I'm not terribly worried quite yet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Most OEM units are 12A, though I thought some are 8A. Some aftermarket ones are 16A even though that's not code legal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Most OEM units are 12A, though I thought some are 8A. Some aftermarket ones are 16A even though that's not code legal.

My i3 could adjust current draw, I think down to 4A.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
L1 charging operates at 120 volts, on a 15 amp circuit, the electrical code allows pulling 80% of max for continuous loads, so 12 amps. That’s 1.4kw. I have a 20 amp circuit, and the correct plug on my EVSE allows me to pull 16 amps, or 1.9kw.

If you’ve used a non fast charger elsewhere, it was likely a L2 charger operating at 208/240 volts likely delivering something between 4 and 9 kw.

….Wait, you’re at 74% and it’s still saying 40 hours to charge? Is climate control still on or something?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, I should have said, if you do use the correct plug, 16A is legal. Just that most I've seen aren't Nema 5-20 plugs. Tesla does have a 5-20 adapter at least

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Yeah, a 16A EVSE would be fine with a NEMA 5-20P (the one where the grounded/neutral blade is 90⁰ to the line blade).

Lol, that's absolutely not what's happening though, and there's a surprising amount of dodgy devices you can get that will draw more than 15A off a 1/5-15P.

It'd be cool to see more small 15 and 20A 240 outlets scattered around, since the install cost should be* the same as a 120V plug for twice the power, not just for EVSEs either, lots of kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor appliances would be better served running off of 240V** and there's no technical reason for them not to except market inertia.

*as of now, it's more expensive, because of a stupid code change from about 15 years ago that doesn't allow you to re-identify small (<#6 iirc) ground potential conductors as line conductors (i.e. wrap a bit of black/blue/red electrical tape around the wire), and no one makes, say black/red non metallic cable right now, so you'd have to use more expensive 14/3 12/3 instead of 14/2 or 12/2.

**literally everything would be, gently caress you Edison.

E/F/B

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My Leaf's EVSE limited current to 5A when it detected a voltage drop from one of my relatives' ancient garage wiring when drawing full power. That may be a cause for very slow charging, but I don't know what your garage wiring looks like.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kimcicle posted:

Adventures in electric car ownership. I tried using the L1 charger that the car comes with to charge in the garage just to see what would happen.

Am I doing something terribly wrong with my L1 charger? I started at 74%, and I swear that other L1 chargers I've used go at least a little faster. Or are all L1 chargers not the same, and whatever box that BMW gave me with the car doesn't charge as fast as other L1 chargers? The car is set to charge at "unlimited" current limit for AC charging too.

In all reality at the rate it was charging, going overnight would be enough for the daily expected trips so I'm not terribly worried quite yet.

The time to go 0-80 is sometimes shorter than to go 81-100 so that's one issue, plus the charger might follow stuff like IRVE rules(which only allow a limited time at full power, then going to the lowest power setting) if it's meant to be sold in europe. L1 is usually an emergency charging level, to give you just enough to find your destination charger or a public fast/hyper fast one. 30% charge is something that takes hours on a public fast running at 11kW, so running it at 2kW would realistically take that amount. iX had a honking big battery if i remember right.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is an electric shower like a bunch of lightning spraying all over you? :ohdear:

It's a itty bitty electric boiler integrated in the shower pump, you provide tap water and the kit will warm it and pump it out on the shower head. Only saw it in caravans really.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 30, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

iX has a 111kW battery, 8A @ 120V is .960 kW, times 90% charger efficiency, 74%->100% is 33 hours, so 40ish would be feasible if there's a hundred watts or so of parasitic drain when charging.

Didn't expect that as small battery crew, to be honest.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

SlowBloke posted:

Italy just ratified a new set of cash for clunkers incentives, for BEVs we are moving from a flat 5000€ to a 9000-11000€ window plus extra 1250€ if you fit in low income brackets. If I waited four months more i could have got 4k€ extra. :smith:

Must be nice. Germany was supposed to fade out the incentives over time with them stopping at the end of 2024.
Now they announced on the 13th December that all incentives stop on the 17th. Everyone who ordered a car that gets delivered after that is out of luck and pays a couple thousand euros more.

At least most manufacturers have announced that they cover the additional costs for cars that are ordered till the end of 2023...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shai-Hulud posted:

Must be nice. Germany was supposed to fade out the incentives over time with them stopping at the end of 2024.
Now they announced on the 13th December that all incentives stop on the 17th. Everyone who ordered a car that gets delivered after that is out of luck and pays a couple thousand euros more.

At least most manufacturers have announced that they cover the additional costs for cars that are ordered till the end of 2023...

That's a bit of a dick move really. Given how expensive a BEV is, you cannot expect people to buy one with a slow economy as it is now. My Avenger costed me two full years of pay and a lot of families cannot afford that level of savings. Make it as a tax bonus over time if you don't want to do a flat out discount at the dealer but don't remove it.

Given how chuds are now getting involved in european media, i bet german fb was full of "thank god" comments to the incentives getting slashed right?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Germany's lip service to actual track record on decarbonization ratio is pathetic.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

SlowBloke posted:

That's a bit of a dick move really. Given how expensive a BEV is, you cannot expect people to buy one with a slow economy as it is now. My Avenger costed me two full years of pay and a lot of families cannot afford that level of savings. Make it as a tax bonus over time if you don't want to do a flat out discount at the dealer but don't remove it.

Given how chuds are now getting involved in european media, i bet german fb was full of "thank god" comments to the incentives getting slashed right?

Bit of a dick move is a nice way of putting it. They announced on a wednesday that the coming Monday is the cutoff. And it's not like you could have quickly ordered a car to still get the money. To get the incentives you actually need to have the car and not just the order.
I don't have a FB account anymore but seeing as all the chuds here are wanking themselves raw over gods own fuel (Diesel) I imagine they are really happy about the stopped incentives.
They also don't seem to realize that Diesel is heavily subsidized...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
That kind of people gives zero fucks about being right, just to beat and make others miserable. Every fuel is incentivized in some way, be it petrol, diesel, methane, gpl or hydrogen. Getting all puffy because a type of vehicle that doesn't cover cities in soot but isn't made for them (they want loud, smoky and above all old) has incentives is their usual M.O.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My wifes uncle ordered a new Lyriq back in the spring and it's finally due to be delivered next week. That means he wants to sell his 2022 Mach E (fully loaded Premium, AWD, extended range).

I wasn't quite ready to buy an EV, but it's basically brand new (9K Kms/5600miles) and it truly show room condition and Mrs might be on board.

He is asking too much for it publicly, but I'm pretty sure I could get him down to a fair market price.

Other than potentially infotainment stuff, has Ford succumbed to the subscription virus for usable car features? Or is what it was built/bought with going to carry over if we go this route? Anything else I need to know about the Mach E? I presume they're quite reliable?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang none of you got the obvious joke about the electric shower :mad:

That kind of stuff is more common in Japan though, but baths in stead of showers.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Thanks everybody for the info; we should be able to get along with free EA charging and trickle charging on the 120v for now, but I guess getting a 240v plug in the garage is in the very near future for me.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I was surprised that Japan had a lot of digital panel control for point of use natural gas heated fixtures. Which sorta kinda makes sense since they have 120v household and Euro has 240

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
ID.4 crew: do your windows sometimes … go down when you want them to go up? Unsure if this is a thing to go to the dealership about.
Like, it started raining. Windows up!
… no no no, not that way.
No, UP.
WHAT. WHY. UP!
Thank you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

ID.4 crew: do your windows sometimes … go down when you want them to go up? Unsure if this is a thing to go to the dealership about.
No, UP.
WHAT. WHY. UP!
Thank you.

That is how they were programmed by VW.

It is loving insane, I've almost lost my poo poo trying to roll the window up, and having it roll all the gently caress the way down, blasting me in the face with wind and rain.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

My wifes uncle ordered a new Lyriq back in the spring and it's finally due to be delivered next week. That means he wants to sell his 2022 Mach E (fully loaded Premium, AWD, extended range).

I wasn't quite ready to buy an EV, but it's basically brand new (9K Kms/5600miles) and it truly show room condition and Mrs might be on board.

He is asking too much for it publicly, but I'm pretty sure I could get him down to a fair market price.

Other than potentially infotainment stuff, has Ford succumbed to the subscription virus for usable car features? Or is what it was built/bought with going to carry over if we go this route? Anything else I need to know about the Mach E? I presume they're quite reliable?

The Mach-E is a great car that suffers from people being really angry about it being called a Mustang and being mad/not understanding that Ford is purposefully trying to reposition the brand because it was their strongest piece of ID/IP to launch a complete different kind of car on. The performance variant was not a great choice though.

Only thing major that is subscription is handsfree cruise control.

I think Ford made the right decision, they knew they were targeting middle aged people with at least a household income of $100k, found that those people wanted a crossover SUV and asked what Ford brand they had the most affinity for. I joking refer to mine as my "mid-life crisis", I wanted something super practical and whatever you think of it being a "Mustang", the styling is fun.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 31, 2023

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

No, UP.
WHAT. WHY. UP!
Thank you.

Yeah.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am just happy to have a car again where I can put the windows up or down using the keyfob. Just a really handy feature.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

No, UP.
WHAT. WHY. UP!
Thank you.

This thread mentions having to re-calibrate the windows, especially after the 12v system has been disconnected? https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/window-goes-down-instead-of-up.9641/

quote:

Thats pinch protection kicking in.

You can try to re-calibrate the windows. Push and hold switch down until window is fully down and hold for a few seconds (5-10 seconds) after its all the way down. Repeat going up and holding switch up for 5-10 seconds after fully up.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

No, UP.
WHAT. WHY. UP!
Thank you.

This has never happened to me in our id.4

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Squibbles posted:

This thread mentions having to re-calibrate the windows, especially after the 12v system has been disconnected? https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/window-goes-down-instead-of-up.9641/
Thank you! I will have to try this tomorrow. Thanks for the input, ID4 crew.

Elviscat posted:

It is loving insane, I've almost lost my poo poo trying to roll the window up, and having it roll all the gently caress the way down, blasting me in the face with wind and rain.
Yeah that was me today.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

We bought a Mustang Mach E Premium 2023 RWD about a month ago. Seems like a great car so far; getting the expected range, power, handling, utility. The quality of the interior is much better than my RAV4 Prime. Infotainment costs seem just related to BlueCruise.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 31, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bluecruise is when you go cruising on blue chews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Posts like this make me wish somebody had a good “does it have Bluetube?” rip from Frisky Dingo up online