Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
Anyone else hold a burning resentment of humanity and specifically the non autistic?

In my dips into drug recovery I delved into the steps of NA. Kinda like some generalised self help program once you divorce the drugs from it. Anyway part of it was addressing your resentments and that's one that I uh, did not address very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ol sakkman posted:

What the gently caress

Yeah I do see distinct facial parts lol is hyperawareness not an autistic thing tho? Cos I def got that

Being bad at attenuating signals is an autistic thing, yeah. Non autistic people tend to be much better at tuning out or sifting through sensory input, so things like the lights being too bright or someone's keyboard being too loud or a shirt being too scratchy don't bother them as much. They'll notice it if you point it out, but after a few moments they'll go back to being oblivious again while you just have to live with the awareness.

As for eye contact, I can usually focus on some other aspect long enough to fulfill my face to face obligations and most people can't tell. It takes effort though, so I'm on a timer in social situations until I need to eject and find a quiet place. Its like being Darkman except instead of super powered rage I just get tired and cranky

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
I can stare at the forehead but I think it only kind of works. If I'm able I usually say "BTW cos I'm autistic I'm going to stare at this wall while we talk sorry not sorry" and very occasionally flick my eyes their way

Putting all your psychic force into eye contact out of nowhere to drive a point home is a powerful, powerful tactic too

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Ol sakkman posted:

I can stare at the forehead but I think it only kind of works. If I'm able I usually say "BTW cos I'm autistic I'm going to stare at this wall while we talk sorry not sorry" and very occasionally flick my eyes their way

You definitely gotta look in peoples' eyes, they know exactly where you're looking. Personally I look away quickly while talking sometimes, but I've become way better at holding eye contact because my default is now to look at peoples' eyes the whole time. I will 'gloss-over' and unfocus my eyes while listening and holding eye contact. People can likely notice that too but to a small extent, and you always gain points for holding eye contact.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I usually just zone out a little bit when looking at someone else’s face so that I’m not focusing on any one part but can view the face as a whole. This way I can take in lip, eyebrow, and eye movement as well as tension or lack thereof on their face. In a conversation I usually focus primarily on deciphering tone and prosody, as that usually gives you all the information you need without being distracting from the conversation.

I think this takes me at my limit of attention though, as I usually do not remember or notice the details of someone’s appearance except for those I need to “read” them.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Nodding my head slightly at random intervals during the conversation to show attention and engagement. Sometimes I worry I look like a bobble head

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I usually try to find a task to focus on that doesn't require brainpower but which plausibly requires my eyes on it the whole time. Just gonna stare at these cables i keep stripping bit by bit for no real reason while you finish yammering.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

unwantedplatypus posted:

I think this takes me at my limit of attention though, as I usually do not remember or notice the details of someone’s appearance except for those I need to “read” them.

lol that's relatable, i thought i had face blindness at one point but it's literally just this

a trick i learned as a wee lass while obsessed with old hollywood was to look at the space between the eyes, this had something to do with acting that i forgot but i find it helpful when i feel awkward and overstimulated to glance at like, a neutral zone

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

Ol sakkman posted:

Anyone else hold a burning resentment of humanity and specifically the non autistic?

In my dips into drug recovery I delved into the steps of NA. Kinda like some generalised self help program once you divorce the drugs from it. Anyway part of it was addressing your resentments and that's one that I uh, did not address very well

What drugs were you on homie.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

out taking a walk at 12... earplugs are good

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJkKnaImic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO_-1NEcoXk

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
it's annoying having to live in a neurotypical world, but it's not like they have a choice in being the way they are. pity them really

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Megamissen posted:

out taking a walk at 12... earplugs are good

I just got a pair of ANC earbuds and oh my God how have I never tried this before? I'd get them surgically implanted if I could and if I wasn't mortally terrified of any medical procedure.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i just want a giant cat and i curse our collective ancestors for not domesticating bigger cats

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos

LuxuryLarva posted:

What drugs were you on homie.

The majority of them but the main thing was probably meth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I need a therapist.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

happy new year, best and most honest thread in cspam

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

it's annoying having to live in a neurotypical world, but it's not like they have a choice in being the way they are. pity them really

biggest annoyance about it is that we know they'd be happier if they just allowed us to design the system, they dont actually want to do it, that's why they're so insistent on believing "free market" rhetoric, it absolves them while they get to pretend they're the responsible ones. they'd be freer and happier in an autistic world system.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Gonna autisticly centrally plan their economy so hard

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

my special interests are resource allocation and solving coordination problems

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I always get annoyed about how hard it is to communicate my own feelings since i want to be a writer and make at least some money off it, but i get so in my head about that and certain rigid expectations i've formed somehow when i work. like should i not be into writing unless i'm in it solely for love of the craft, can i even write or is my prose damned to sound robotic and emotionless, aren't i just copying what i've already seen anyway, why am i getting upset when i post stuff and i see other stuff get more likes and engagement than mine, etc.

also happy new years everyone.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

biggest annoyance about it is that we know they'd be happier if they just allowed us to design the system, they dont actually want to do it, that's why they're so insistent on believing "free market" rhetoric, it absolves them while they get to pretend they're the responsible ones. they'd be freer and happier in an autistic world system.

lmao if you don't understand that letting autistic people run everything leads to technocratic libertarianism. What are laws even for? Surely everyone will make the rational choice according to established economic theory to just oh no the fascists have taken over

You gotta have some people understanders as well as big brained categorizers and organizers or it all falls apart

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
at least the trains would run on time

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
if i was in charge of devising a social system it would have way better vibes than it does now

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

lmao if you don't understand that letting autistic people run everything leads to technocratic libertarianism. What are laws even for? Surely everyone will make the rational choice according to established economic theory to just oh no the fascists have taken over

You gotta have some people understanders as well as big brained categorizers and organizers or it all falls apart

the view of autistics as opposite of or incapable of being "people understanders" is wrong imo

I mean yeah, plenty of autistics are "it's physically impossible to burn that amount of people so therefore the holocaust is a lie" type of nazi and it's not a foregone conclusion but even a fascistic dictatorship would be a marginally more successful one if it had an autistic council as chief architect

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 13:12 on Jan 1, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fanfic insert posted:

the view of autistics as opposite of or incapable of being "people understanders" is wrong imo

yea

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think fanfic insert is precisely the kind of autistic person that should never be allowed in charge

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
an autistic knows we're people with autism not autism with a person so spaces designed to be welcoming and adaptive to autism would inherently firstly be welcoming to persons, so even a person without autism would be able to take advantage of the adaptiveness to suit even their non-autistic needs no matter how slight their divergence

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i think fanfic insert is precisely the kind of autistic person that should never be allowed in charge

this is true but nevertheless i have faith in other autistics

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Whirling posted:

I always get annoyed about how hard it is to communicate my own feelings since i want to be a writer and make at least some money off it, but i get so in my head about that and certain rigid expectations i've formed somehow when i work. like should i not be into writing unless i'm in it solely for love of the craft, can i even write or is my prose damned to sound robotic and emotionless, aren't i just copying what i've already seen anyway, why am i getting upset when i post stuff and i see other stuff get more likes and engagement than mine, etc.

also happy new years everyone.

1) never stop writing: save everything you write.
2) edit edit edit

everyone has garbage first drafts. most of us have garbage drafts after that before it’s readable. for me it’s overcoming the somewhat ableist expectations of savantism. as a kid I was “gifted” and “genius” etc but hey come to find out I’m actually pretty average in that I’m not an instant virtuoso on guitar. turns out it takes years and years of playing for me too.

writing has moments of joy but honestly it is a lot of work of editing and whittling down. the above, the expectations, can be internalized. we become frustrated when something comes out less than perfect. when the notes don’t line up to the idea in our head. when the plot seems too similar to a story I’ve read before. I guess the thing I’ve learned is do it anyway. I want to play guitar so I just push through negative feelings, pick it up, and practice. I might never get to play a sold out show but I am learning a lot about music and falling in love with playing guitar. I enjoy it even when I constantly gently caress it up. want to be a writer? you gotta write stuff.

grab an idea. make a project of it. and see what comes out. if it’s a derivative shitheap, save it anyway. read and learn.

as an aside, this program helps me organize writing projects and manage edits. super powerful. the trial is actually unlimited if you just click past the warnings past the 30 days. https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

fanfic insert posted:

I mean yeah, plenty of autistics are "it's physically impossible to burn that amount of people so therefore the holocaust is a lie" type of nazi and it's not a foregone conclusion but even a fascistic dictatorship would be a marginally more successful one if it had an autistic council as chief architect

lmfao

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

that second poo poo wasn't in the post when i said yea
takin that yea back

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

at least the trains would run on time

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
that was me joking :negative:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The goal of an autistic world would be beneficial to world, whereas the neuroboring one is the what we have now.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

im gratefull for the neurotypical people around me

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Megamissen posted:

im gratefull for the neurotypical people around me

tread carefully...

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

tread carefully...

life would be a lot harder for me without them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Megamissen posted:

life would be a lot harder for me without them

only because you're a slave to the institutions they've created...