Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Back in the '80s, it never looked like that much fun to me. Now the Defiant Shuttle Complex -- THAT was a playset. I have never known anyone who had one, no spoiled '80s kids or present-day adults with discretionary income. I can only imagine what a 1/12 scale Defiant would look like.

Honestly the Flag wasn't that much fun. There was a kid who lived across the way who had one (he was a child caught between two parents ferociously bidding on his affections so he had everything) and it didn't actually provide that much of a cooler play area than just on the sidewalk or wherever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I know a guy who uses the original USS Flagg as a coffee table. It is longer than your typical coffee table!

Back in the '80s, it never looked like that much fun to me. Now the Defiant Shuttle Complex -- THAT was a playset. I have never known anyone who had one, no spoiled '80s kids or present-day adults with discretionary income. I can only imagine what a 1/12 scale Defiant would look like.

I knew one kid with the Defiant, along with, as best I can remember, pretty much everything else a child could want in 1987 (no Flagg tho). He would not let me play with it or anything else. Kind of a dick now that I think about it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Now the Defiant Shuttle Complex -- THAT was a playset. I have never known anyone who had one, no spoiled '80s kids or present-day adults with discretionary income. I can only imagine what a 1/12 scale Defiant would look like.

I had this thing by itself, random yard sale find:

I think it was missing the cover on the back, I just remember it having this open space there. Anyway it was huge and fun and I mostly used it with my Star Wars toys. I think it's still in a closet at my mom's house.

I don't think it had the BOOB sticker either, that is funny!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I never had any of that huge stuff, the biggest my haul got was the Command Centre (loved it) and the oil rig thing as far as play sets go, and the Skystriker, Rattler, Tomahawk, Whale, Moray, and Roboskull vehicle wise.

I still think a Flagg would be nice tho
:colbert:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I had the Defiant growing up, or rather my brother did and I inherited it when he outgrew Joes. That and the Ghostbusters firehouse were where 90% of all toy related activities took place. The grappling arm on the Defiant was particularly fun to dangle captured Cobra outside of the shuttle

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The only big playsets I had were Castle Grayskull (cause you gotta have that) and the Ewok Village, which I dearly loved. The village is sitting in a shed, in lousy shape, having been left out in the elements too many times. But someday I might give it a coat of paint and make a nice little Ewok display.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dawgstar posted:

A USS Flag so big they can use it as a small motorboat.

They've already stated there is no way they would ever do a Classified Flag.

They actually stated the dimensions of such a thing and it's un realistic in every way possible.

A lot of Joe vehicles is really unlikely due to the pure amount of space it'd take up.

It's why I'm betting one of the only jets we get will be the X-30 Conquest. It's shorter than a Skystriker.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One reason I think the HISS Tank was more popular than the Dragonfly was that it was boxier so it could take up less shelf/display space, and another major reason was that it could hold more figures. As a kid, I always preferred vehicles more Joes could ride in or on, which almost always meant land vehicles compared to jets or helicopters.

The only large vehicles I ever had as a kid were the Rolling Thunder and the DEMON, and then the Snow Cat and Desert Fox which were mid-sized. (I guess the DEMON is somewhere between large and mid-sized, but still much smaller than the Rolling Thunder.) The best things about all of them were that several figures could go along for the ride.

I didn't buy either HasLab vehicle, and I can live without the VAMP, but I admit the Snow Cat would tempt me.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Man I remember my best friends birthday he got a Defiant and the box was soooo massive they stuck a whole roll of wrapping paper on one side and the other side was bare. He always had all the biggest toys and all the game consoles and I only realized recently that his super rich uncle was paying for everything because his dad was MIA for some reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had the Night Raven and the Conquest but not a whole lot of ground vehicles. The biggest ones I remember having were the HAVOC, Cobra Stun and Thunder Machine.

A Classified Night Raven would be hilarious. You'd need the original version of the Flagg to have a place to put it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The 90’s had the Jurassic Park command center and the Daily Bugle. Both were pretty rad.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Being boxy and rather small definitely helped get the HISS picked as a HASLAB, compared to quite a few toys it's foot print was relatively minor due to it's boxy shape. The original was tiny compared to many other vehilcles that came out in the 80's.

Not that size or space is going to stop some people from coming up with their own stuff. Like this guy who made his own custom Rolling Thunder:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does anyone have any ideas for a shelf to put the ghost on? I remember the IKEA kallax was sold out briefly when the hasbro gang had it on top of that, but I'm wondering if there's a better option anyone's found with a wider shelf.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Ya'll stop discouraging them from making the WHALE. I need that thing. Never had it as a kid but definitely need it no matter how big it is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Ya'll stop discouraging them from making the WHALE. I need that thing. Never had it as a kid but definitely need it no matter how big it is.

Seems like a weird figure to make. Will he come with pizza and ranch?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I had it. It was big. Real big. I can't imagine a Classified version of it.

It'd be a massive coffee table sized thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I have a mostly complete Defiant from a flea market as a kid. It's still sitting on a shelf in my parent's garage. It was fragile back in the 80s and had a habit of breaking wheels when you tried to push it around, can't imagine what would happen if you tried now.

I have thought about getting into 3d printing as a way to replace the missing bits and bobs from it and my Terror Drome.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

People who have received their Lion El'Jonson figure are reporting a slight flaw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gripweed posted:

People who have received their Lion El'Jonson figure are reporting a slight flaw

well now to me I'll always imagine he'll forevermore have a dopey idiot voice that flubs his words

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It’s the end of the year, I have just settled here
It may not be much but it’s enough…

Figured may as well do a Top 10 for the year. They’ve not all figures released in 2023 but they are my favourites that I picked up in the last 12 months. Honourable mentions go to Mafex Steel, NECA Strongheart, Black Series Krrsantan 2.0, the Haslab HISS tank, Fans Toy Jive X, and Classified Rock N’ Roll, who would otherwise have been my fav Joe of the year if not for [sentimental reasons].

Boba Fett

Yeah, the show wasn’t all that but despite that (and my earlier statement about generally preferring characters’ classic looks), I adore Boba’s new look and when I saw this was on sale for near enough the same price as the Black Series version(!), I just had to snap it up. The Tem heads are great, there’s an absurd amount of accessories but most of all, he’s just a fun figure to mess about with. The throne is just the icing on the cake.

Warduke

It’s fuckin’ Warduke, of course he was gonna make it. Just an absolute badass, beautifully and lovingly done. The articulation could be a bit better but it gets the job done. Just a wonderful reimagining of a cult classic.

Green Orc 01

I’ll always have a soft spot for this dumb bastard so when some random Chinese crew decided to put one out, I couldn’t resist. The way they went about circumventing the copyright was hilarious, he comes with a generic orc helmet head and no accessories…but you also get a separate package with the totally not-Grom head and signature gear. He’s an absolute unit, all green, muscle, rage, and axe, love it.

Conan

After missing out on the first release, I was chuffed to get hold of this second version. I immediately ditched the tunic, never use the helmet, just give me the basic, classic Frazetta Conan, I need nothing else.

Indiana Jones

I love this guy, he just nails everything I want in an Indy. None of the Hasbro ones interested me but as soon as I saw the ‘aw shucks’ smiling head in the promo pics, Bandai had my money. He’s just awesome to pick up and mess about with.

Magneto

Medicom put out a bunch of excellent figures this year but none nailed it quite as much as this guy. Peak Mags right here.

Cyborg Superman

The dream of the 90s lives on in Portland Mafex. The sculpt, the colours, everything pops and ol’ Hank has never looked so good.

Snake Eyes (retro)

Sorry Rock N’ Roll, you would have made it but back in the day, I got a cool black jeep with a cool all black commando driver for Christmas and loved him dearly ever since so he’s always gonna win. Commando Snake Eyes for life, yo, you can keep your ninja versions.

Darth Vader

I will never need another, this one has it all. Some have complained about the cloak but IDGAF, it hasn’t bothered me in the slightest. Just bags of presence, and a GOAT head sculpt, with the silver cheek to mimic the asymmetrical paint job of the original helmet being a brilliant touch that makes all others look meh in comparison.

Anakin Skywalker

Nabbed a re-release of the Chosen One and he’s been a mainstay ever since, just another one I love messing about with. Now I’m praying they do another run of Obi-Wan too because you can’t have one without the other.

Anyway, that was mine, what was yours?

Have a thoroughly lovely new year, folks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

well now to me I'll always imagine he'll forevermore have a dopey idiot voice that flubs his words

The Lion, as voiced by Dr. Steve Brule.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Lion, voiced by Homestar Runner

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Captain Invictus posted:

The Lion, voiced by Homestar Runner

"Dear Horus. How do you type with a power talon on one hand? Crapfully yours, Eldrad, Ulthwe."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Best figure this year is sh figarts chainsaw man and runner up power and it ain’t even close

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Gripweed posted:

NO RAGRETS

Good post!

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, favorites this year include:
Warduke, definitely
Range Vipers
Marvel Legends Spiral
'89 Batmobile / Batman
Aquaman's seahorse
Brown Owlbear
Thundercats Mandora / Electro-Charger
Red Sonja

A couple of my top favorites are older releases that I picked up this year:
All the Golden Axe figures
ML Mojoworld "four" pack
ML Ghost Rider w/ bike
ML Doctor Doom

Thundertank would probably make the list except I never unboxed it, don't have the room to properly display it right now. Good year for vehicles anyway.

And my #1 is probably Jill of the Jungle, even though it's not a toy that exists outside my house and I had to will it into existence myself.

Hard to whittle this list down to a hard 10 from 2023 due to these odd technicalities such as "not actually from this year" and "doesn't exist."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Amazing Yamaguchi sweeps the year for me.

Black Panther
Deadpool 2.0
Mk IV Spider Armor Spidey
Flash and Reverse Flash
And now Moon Knight comes in right under the wire with another slam dunk.

And that's not even talking about the My Hero Academia figures like Hawks. Just a ridiculous run all around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

Best figure this year is sh figarts chainsaw man and runner up power and it ain’t even close
bro I'm sorry but unless you've experienced Astrobots Vulkan you have not truly experienced action figure perfection

and other photos I took before

it is far and away one of the best action figures, nay, TOYS I have ever played with, it has so much joyous articulation that is so tight and sturdy that you can do almost literally anything with him that you want and he'll be able to stay in that pose. like I had him standing on one "toe" and he was good for it. just perfection in construction and perfection in design. if you enjoy posing your figures, you HAVE to get Vulkan. and Astrobots Apollo is one of my all-time favorite figures to begin with, but Vulkan is way, way better, they took all the excellent design ideas from Apollo and improved them with Vulkan. and there's a variant called Hyperion that I will ABSOLUTELY be getting because he fits one of my favorite tropes: guy in harness that has a pair of even bigger mech arms and fists on it

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Holy poo poo that Hyperion is suuuuuper cool. It almost looks like War Machine on some grade-A steroids.

And it has working shoulder lights?! Whaaaat?

How is it only $120? That’s wild.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My top toys of the year:

G.I. Joe Classified: Chuckles, Storm Shadow (retro), Firefly, General Hawk, and Cover Girl (I didn't get her until this year)
AEW: Danhausen (regular and two-pack versions)
Blue Beetle's Bug (giant popcorn container sold by Cinemark theaters for the Blue Beetle movie; it has six articulated legs, clear yellow windows/eyes, is hollow inside, and is the perfect scale for 3 3/4" to 5" figures)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Astrobots I have bought so far have been Apollo, Vulkan, and Athenia. Apollo is the first figure in the line and excellent, definitely worth picking up, he's just a lot of fun and his proportions are weird but allow him to do some CRAZY poses. Vulkan is as stated before. Athenia is by far the weakest of the three, they chose to go with the "fembot" style; lithe, curvy, with a boobplate, rather than giving her any heftiness, presence, like the "male" robots. This makes it much more fragile since there's less material to give it sturdiness, and the hands are static remove-and-replace poses instead of jointed fingers, which really sucks and imo misses the point of the line to me. It's way, way flimsier than Apollo or Vulkan, and parts fall off easily, not to mention the feet are stupid heeled boots meaning it has almost no stability without plugging a stabilizer into it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Since it would just be unfair to include the Nozawa Nendoroid since it’s just too good, here are my other 2023 Top 10 (1/12 scale) Figures from 1-10:

Honorable Mentions:

And since it’s also kinda unfair to add Hot Toys and other unscaled stuff, these would be my actual top 4:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Here a quick shot at a top 10 in alphabetical order:

Furay Planet Veteran William
Hasbro G.I. Joe Classified Serpentor
Jada Toys Chun-li
Joy Toy Warhammer Ultramarines Chaplain Brother Varus
Mafex Magneto
Mezco Frazetta Death Dealer
Mezco Void Cadet Gomez and Vortex Strike Suit
SHF Chainsaw Man
Silverhawks Ultimates Armored Mon*Star
WWE Superstars Macho Man

Final top 10 for me while doing my best to not double up on lines. Dropped ML Blob for Vet William.

Also, my wife got me a NIB Computer Warriors Pepsi Can. It's as old as I am so I'm not sure it counts, but it might be the best toy of all time ever.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I know everyone was waiting with bated breath, here's my favorites from the year. I didn't want to repeat lines, but I thought that Masterverse and Origins were different enough. Cobra Commander there represents the HISS set.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Not counting Hot Toys, my top ten would be something like

1. Mafex Magneto
2. SHF Third Form Frieza
3. SHF Metal Cooler
4. TF Legacy Transmetal 2 Megatron ( I think this came out this year...)
5. SHF Second Form Frieza
6. AY Endeavor
7. SHF Orange Piccolo
8. SHF Beast Gohan
9. SHF Chainsaw Man
10. ML '97 Wolverine

NECA Armored Last Ronin, SHF Android 19, and AY Kirishima would be honorable mentions

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I love all my toys equally and will not play favorites otherwise they will come to life and murder me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hawks is def up there

No robots. Only gundam bc you make them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All three of these were sick

Thing dog sick

Bateman sick

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I'm in agreement.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
GI Joe Classified Hawk is my favorite figure made this year.

He looks outstanding.

Overall a great year in collecting whatever you love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Nine Figures I Considered Noteworthy That I Purchased This Year That I Will Not Specifically Rank Because They Are All Precious

a surprising amount of figures with microphones.

CelticPredator posted:

No robots. Only gundam bc you make them.
do you work at the goalpost factory because you're constantly moving them. I will not stand for this mechanophobia :colbert: