Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/bradgalli/status/1741346194293444785?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Gonz fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol the dullards trying to say the Lions "sneaked it in"

Campbell couldn't possibly have been any more direct about his playcall, his reaction to the "refereeing decision", his repeated decision to go back to the original playcall

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The ending has way overshadowed it but Barnes having Dak dead to rights for a safety and then just…not even trying to tackle him….is one of the worst defensive plays I’ve ever seen.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ending has way overshadowed it but Barnes having Dak dead to rights for a safety and then just…not even trying to tackle him….is one of the worst defensive plays I’ve ever seen.

Yeah I was so loving mad at that play. Not as mad as the ending, obviously, but that would have changed everything so much.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He tried to just do a fly-by and bump him with his elbow. I don't know how the gently caress you could ever think you're taking down an NFL quarterback with that.

Derrick Barnes is why the Lions drafted a linebacker 18th overall.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MJeff posted:

He tried to just do a fly-by and bump him with his elbow. I don't know how the gently caress you could ever think you're taking down an NFL quarterback with that.

He didn’t even try go for the ball! I’ve never in my life seen a defender just not use his hands at all on the QB. They’re programmed from like 3 years old to get their hands up and go for the ball when rushing the passer.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It honestly looked like he thought Dak was a lineman or running back that he was trying to get around.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/1741344419394031620?t=joPPpIQ8ScK0P4ulZgaReQ&s=19

Dude definitely mixed them up

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm just sad that Campbell expected the refs to be on the ball and realize what was up in that situation, even if he briefed them about it before the game. Just can't give them a chance to screw that up because of course they will. If it were any team but the Lions I feel like the refs follow along with the play no problem and it works well as a tricky play.

And yes I'm extra salty about it because I put a sizeable bet on the Lions to win outright when I rarely bet like that, and of course the time I do I get a wild ending like that.

Goddamn that ref interview just makes me madder. "Two linemen come up and talk to you and that's when #70 reports to me." Bitch, 70 wasn't one of those two lineman in that quick chat there!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

NowonSA posted:

I'm just sad that Campbell expected the refs to be on the ball and realize what was up in that situation, even if he briefed them about it before the game. Just can't give them a chance to screw that up because of course they will. If it were any team but the Lions I feel like the refs follow along with the play no problem and it works well as a tricky play.

And yes I'm extra salty about it because I put a sizeable bet on the Lions to win outright when I rarely bet like that, and of course the time I do I get a wild ending like that.

Goddamn that ref interview just makes me madder. "Two linemen come up and talk to you and that's when #70 reports to me." Bitch, 70 wasn't one of those two lineman in that quick chat there!

dont be mad. that is not the Way. laugh and cackle

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

NowonSA posted:

lol nice one

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
oh yeah also dont gamble jfc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I do gotta say, our defense the last two or three weeks has looked like a different team

Yeah holding Dallas to 20 in Jerryworld might be the most impressive defensive outing of the season. I like our playoff chances if we can maintain those vibes and get a couple folks back from injury.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 31, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

He didn't mix them up, it's worse than that. What most likely happened was that the Lions had been sending in Dan Skipper as a 6th o-lineman sporadically throughout the game, so Allen, as soon as he saw Skipper coming onto the field, just went into autopilot and assumed 70 was reporting as eligable, completely ignoring the player who was actualy reporting right in front of him. Pure laziness and incompetence.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm still kinda mad about this hours later.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Christ so am I

I’m like video games mad about it. Tilted but not like rage

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Christ so am I

I’m like video games mad about it. Tilted but not like rage

Now imagine if the Vikings had won last week or this was the play-offs.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Bumhead posted:

Pretty sure I've already watched the playoff game against the cowboys where the refs hosed the lions.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I'm pissed too. It doesn't affect much, we were unlikely to get 2nd/1st seed out of it, but I'm still angry that:

A) It happened and its clearly a gently caress up.

B) Dan Campbell couldn't just recognize it for what it was and kicked the loving extra point.

Fuckkkkk

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 31, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bumhead posted:

If they hadn't clinched, I'd be fuming right now, for sure. The fact they have really took a lot of the edge off.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Like other than that being the thing that killed us instead of a LaPorta drop or something, I’m still loving impressed. I was fully expecting ceedee to drop 500y on us and get some kind of reality check that we really aren’t contenders and then we held Dallas at home to under 25 with a defense composed of cardboard cutouts and dudes that weren’t drafted

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Its a lovely way to lose. Just dont let it ruin the rest of your weekend. Look on the brightside. You'll be bitter about this one for decades! Its right up there with megatron @CHI.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/jkerb25/status/1741382318915276828?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

https://x.com/showtimetate/status/1741353531196752314?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I mean making the league look stupid is cool and good, but that's the best we can hope from this situation and it's a pretty low bar. And it accomplishes very little because we all know that the league is extremely fallible at times.

E: I do object to ESPN using the phrase "Lions' 2-pt debacle" in their headline though. Makes it sound like Goff beaned someone in the nuts on the attempt.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 31, 2023

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'd still go for two. The defense played probably it's best game of the season even giving up a billion yards to Lamb but was starting to look gassed, the offense had veered between godawful and borderline ineffectual outside of that final drive plus there is absolutely no guarantee you even touch the ball in OT. Get the two, dare Dallas to go 50-60 yards in 25 seconds with no timeouts

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It really does feel like there's gotta be some top to bottom overhaul of officiating after all the poo poo going on this year. The NFL is just too fast, the margins are too thin and there's too much going on for refs to work the way they currently are. I'm not a "you gotta fire these bozos ASAP" type guy but something's gotta give

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also yeah you go for 2 on the first one, if you have a greater than 50% chance of making 2 yards you take the chance to end the game. Trying again on the 2nd attempt was pure on tilt behaviour, the odds were not in your favour on the 2nd and maybe 3rd

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If this was a win or go home game, yes.

But as it stands, if I'm already in the playoffs and the only way this win matters is if the niners lose to the commanders.

Just get me out of there tbh. Without putting more players at risk for injury by playing extra football.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lol that The Lions got hosed over by the refs again, in Dallas again, in a game with playoff implications again. and lol at Dan Campbell finally having his Lions coach meltdown by going full tilt and continuing to go for 2 and losing the game. Congrats on joining Marty Morhinweg and taking the wind in terrible end of game coaching decisions.

Kick the extra point and win in OT and this is an academic discussion. Instead here we are again debating a horrible call that the league will ignore as they don't give a poo poo about the Lions and the Fords will just shut up and accept it like they always do.

Same poo poo, different game, none of this is surprising or worth getting mad about.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
brad allen is a little loving hick

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what's the math on converting 4 yards vs overtime?

but also, even if it's strongly recommending kicking the FG, I wouldn't expect - nor want - my kneecap cannibal to settle there. I stan a tilt king

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
For some reason this loss isn’t affecting me in any way.

I have elevated my being and have transcended into a superior form and you are all beneath me now/

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't know why in this day and age there isn't some fancy electronic system for reporting eligible so you're not relying on a ref to correctly discern between two large men on critical plays. The number of times they call penalties on the wrong lineman for false starts every week pretty much proves they can't do this task reliably.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Yesterday was a pretty bad day of football for me.

So, the coach went over the play with the refs before the game, the video clearly shows Decker talking to the ref and Skipper NOT talking to the ref, but the ref says that... Decker came over to tell him that Skipper was eligible? Weird. And completely counter-intuitive and nonsense, honestly. #68 knew what the play was, knew he was getting the ball... but deliberately told the ref something different? That's the story?

I mean... that's not what anyone else says, and I look forward to the NFL releasing the ref's audio so we can clearly see this is a case of complete Lions incompetence and bald-faced lying over and over and not, say, the ref screwing up and trying to shift the blame for doing their job poorly and costing Detroit a win.

Of course, Detroit had a 1st and goal at the loving 2-yard line and apparently forgot they had this man "David Montgomery" on their team which would have made all this bullshit moot anyway. I am very tired of seeing the Lions on 3rd & 1/2/3 hand the ball to Gibbs for a 2 yard loss while Baby Beast Mode just watches and wishes he could hit someone and make them regret their life choices up to that moment.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

snow game

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MCDC should simply have rended the referee apart on the field for that terrible gently caress up

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

JonathonSpectre posted:

So, the coach went over the play with the refs before the game, the video clearly shows Decker talking to the ref and Skipper NOT talking to the ref, but the ref says that... Decker came over to tell him that Skipper was eligible? Weird. And completely counter-intuitive and nonsense, honestly. #68 knew what the play was, knew he was getting the ball... but deliberately told the ref something different? That's the story?

The ref mistook which of the three guys who came up to talk to him was actually reporting as eligible.

The bigger issue is going for it three times in a row. Once is big balls, twice is questionable, three times is being stubborn and egotistical.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The third time made more sense than the second time. They had no timeouts so you are locked into trying from the 8 if you put your offense out there.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In the main thread I said this game would have one horrendous officiating call. I've seen enough home cookin in dallas.

I'm fine with going for it. This team, especially the defense was tired. You know when people are more likely to get injured? When they're tired.

The NFL sees these controversies as a good thing. They're so embedded into gambling now. Just accept these things will keep happening. I'll still keep watching this garbage.

And not to pull puppetmaster or anything, but this team is still really young and they don't seem to handle being seen as a top team and fave going into games. This screwjob will let Campbell and the team see themselves as an underdog that gets screwed and they play their best that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

I mean... that's not what anyone else says, and I look forward to the NFL releasing the ref's audio so we can clearly see this is a case of complete Lions incompetence and bald-faced lying over and over and not, say, the ref screwing up and trying to shift the blame for doing their job poorly and costing Detroit a win.

Of course, Detroit had a 1st and goal at the loving 2-yard line and apparently forgot they had this man "David Montgomery" on their team which would have made all this bullshit moot anyway. I am very tired of seeing the Lions on 3rd & 1/2/3 hand the ball to Gibbs for a 2 yard loss while Baby Beast Mode just watches and wishes he could hit someone and make them regret their life choices up to that moment.

Goff'd