Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Not Wolverine posted:

Based on my last u-haul experiences, I'm certain they don't actually inspect their trucks.

"Needs a 2" hitch ball" ok buddy, whatever's welded onto this is out of spherical in every dimension by at least half an inch, and was never 2" nominal. That's ok, though, a grinder and wait, they're not gonna check this thing? It gets a new 1 7/8" ball and they'll never figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Not Wolverine posted:

Based on my last u-haul experiences, I'm certain they don't actually inspect their trucks.

When I was like 19 I rented a 20 foot truck from Ryder to drive about 1300 miles. I didn't know much about cars/trucks/anything then so I just trusted that it was in good shape and ready to go. Turned out one the rear tires on the driver's side was worn down to exposed steel, and I had a blowout on the interstate which also took out part of the exhaust. I had to wait hours in the height of summer in Georgia for a guy to come change the tire.

I check rentals over for myself now.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When I was in college we used to run an extension cord to a boom box in the back of a uhaul, throw an all night rager dance party bouncing 20 people on the sprins, then sweep the trash out the back into a waiting bin, and return it in the morning.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
yeah people bring them to like beach parties and street takeovers all the time. Home Despot rentals too

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is a just rolled in video, last of the year and is focused on BRAND NEW vehicles that have left the factory hosed. And some awful customers :allears:

https://youtu.be/KEpE8YN1w90?si=wM9fWw0Usmo4p2rA

I started feeling bad for the "it's on Ford to FIX IT!" Lady, but then when she said it was 10 years old and out of warranty and wanted it fixed because she bought an "expensive car", she can go kick rocks. Like every other dealership probably told her already.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also in what world is a 2011 Ford Fiesta 60,000 dollars?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Fatrick posted:

I started feeling bad for the "it's on Ford to FIX IT!" Lady, but then when she said it was 10 years old and out of warranty and wanted it fixed because she bought an "expensive car", she can go kick rocks. Like every other dealership probably told her already.

I wonder how many times that screaming "FIX IT!" like a petulant child has actually worked for her.

I'm assuming enough that she thinks it'll work in this situation...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

orange juche posted:

Canada.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Canadians aren't capable of leaving a message with that much heat.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

orange juche posted:

Perhaps she's married to that guy who leased an Altima at 3x sticker?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't know why everyone is hung up on the number. It could have been a $16,000 car or it might have 60,000 mi. She clearly misspoke. Or better yet, knows absolutely nothing about cars, since she takes it to the dealership for service

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

orange juche posted:

She's probably pulling numbers out of her rear end because she's trying to litigate this over the phone.

It's possible though; if you are entirely unaware of basic economics (I'm being kind here), you can drive out of a dealership with (let's say) a 2010 Fiesta for $35K. Then it gets totalled within six months, and without gap insurance, you now you have a $20K debt after the valuation of $15K. Your only option is to roll that debt into your next new-car loan; since you don't learn, you go back to the same dealer, and get a 2011 Fiesta for $40K, and your note is now $60K.

This type of thing was very hard on us auto claims adjusters, especially in the days before gap insurance existed. No fun like telling someone what the book value was on their <1-YO totalled vehicle. We dreaded losses that came in when the car was less than 3-years old.

I once had a total-loss collision claim for a 1988 GEO Metro (this is a tiny re-badged Suzuki) that had a payoff figure of $42,000. In 1989. Turns out, the insured had previously had a Jaguar that she totalled and that this was all that she could get with that debt rolled into it. Almost 40-years on, I can remember her screaming through the phone after I informed her of the payoff figure of $9500.00.

Every time I see that scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie's mom is on the phone with the other mom about curse words, and the phone starts shrieking, "WHAT? WHAAAAT?" I get a little frisson moment.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 31, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PainterofCrap posted:

It's possible though; if you are entirely unaware of basic economics (I'm being kind here), you can drive out of a dealership with (let's say) a 2010 Fiesta for $35K. Then it gets totalled within six months, and without gap insurance, you now you have a $20K debt after the valuation of $15K. Your only option is to roll that debt into your next new-car loan; since you don't learn, you go back to the same dealer, and get a 2011 Fiesta for $40K, and your note is now $60K.

This type of thing was very hard on us auto claims adjusters, especially in the days before gap insurance existed. No fun like telling someone what the book value was on their <1-YO totalled vehicle. We dreaded losses that came in when the car was less than 3-years old.

I once had a total-loss collision claim for a 1988 GEO Metro (this is a tiny re-badged Suzuki) that had a payoff figure of $42,000. In 1989. Turns out, the insured had previously had a Jaguar that she totalled and that this was all that she could get with that debt rolled into it. Almost 40-years on, I can remember her screaming through the phone after I informed her of the payoff figure of $9500.00.
My barber hit a deer with his Dodge Caravan back in Oct. He was horribly upside down on his loan and he was petrified they were going to write it off because his 5-6 year old Dodge was basically worthless, and owed a poo poo ton of money on the loan which it was collateral and still needs a car.

He begged and pleaded and the insurance company made it work somehow to repair it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
look, I don’t know about her Fiesta, but my Fiesta is priceless

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

PainterofCrap posted:

She's probably pulling numbers out of her rear end because she's trying to litigate this over the phone.

Every time I see that scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie's mom is on the phone with the other mom about curse words, and the phone starts shrieking, "WHAT? WHAAAAT?" I get a little frisson moment.

I thought banks or credit unions or whatever would only allow people to finance like 120% of the value of the car they were purchasing?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm pretty sure a 2011 fiesta was like $16,000 fully optioned out. People on this very site were bragging about buying the poverty trim version at something like 11k.

And isn't that the same car referenced earlier in the thread for having the most idiotic engine design features, like load bearing water pump or something?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

bigbillystyle posted:

I thought banks or credit unions or whatever would only allow people to finance like 120% of the value of the car they were purchasing?

We ran into this so frequently in the 80s that we concluded that banks that worked with car dealers looked the other way, or that such regulations did not exist; if they did, then dealerships were cooking the paperwork. As adjusters we had no interest in knowing; our job was to settle total losses at an accurate replacement cost value (RCV). Which was fun in its own right, because there was no such thing as "dealer cost."

Do not ask. Therein lie monsters.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Nitrox posted:

I'm pretty sure a 2011 fiesta was like $16,000 fully optioned out. People on this very site were bragging about buying the poverty trim version at something like 11k.

And isn't that the same car referenced earlier in the thread for having the most idiotic engine design features, like load bearing water pump or something?

Yeah even an ST was $20k. $60k is a coo-coo bananas number but I don’t think she was confused, just irate and vengeful. Oh, and dumb. 9 years later Ford has zero obligation on that car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Yeah, and a timing belt in the oil pan, bragging about it isn't cool anymore lol

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

I used to work with a guy who kept rolling more and more into every car note, until he was paying something like $700 a month (in the late 2000s) for a brand new base model Jetta. The loan was for something like $50k.

I got burned good on the Lexus valuation - valued at $4500, owed a bit more, and GAP took 4 months to pay out. Kept saying the valuation didn't match the car, then the loan paperwork didn't match, then back to the valuation not matching, then a typo in my name on the title, etc etc etc. Didn't help that CCC missed a bunch of options on it, and State Farm wouldn't budge when I brought that up (they also said the interior was "destroyed" when it was drat near showroom fresh). :argh:

My Subaru got valued at $2300, which was more than I paid for it - but I couldn't find anything within 150 miles that came close to matching it for under $6k. They wouldn't budge and were using comps from 1-2 states away with far more miles. (don't use Lemonade....)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How the gently caress is any of this possible, I have insanely good credit and my bank would say 'absolutely no' to $50k of loans on $15k worth of cars.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

How the gently caress is any of this possible, I have insanely good credit and my bank would say 'absolutely no' to $50k of loans on $15k worth of cars.

Ask a different bank. I have insanely good credit and Lightstream just wired however much I asked for directly into my bank account. I checked the box on the online form that said it was for a car purchase but absolutely zero actual proof was required. There literally is no lien reported on my wagon even though it is sort of in theory what that loan was for. In practice it’s just a massive personal loan.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ether Frenzy posted:

A lending institution is more then happy to give you as much money as you want with zero collateral.They're called credit cards

It's basically a CC without the plastic. And many people that will likely never get out of debt in their lives max poo poo like that out.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bigbillystyle posted:

lol

that may be true, but the world is flush with far, FAR more predatory lenders than banks

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's not as easy today, but manufacturer financing (and subprime lenders) will do it.... at something like 24.99% APR.

Remember the 0-0-0 loans? Zero down, zero payments for 12 months, 0% APR for 12 months? Mitsubishi in particular got hosed by those, but I know other companies were doing them too. At the end of that 12 months, if you hadn't started payments yet, interest sometimes got backdated to the day you bought the car.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Go to any town near a US Military Base. You will find somebody who will finance anything at rates that would make JP Morgan jealous.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Go to any town near a US Military Base. You will find somebody who will finance anything at rates that would make JP Morgan jealous.

South Carolina specifically removed interest rate caps to get a cut of that allotment money.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Probably because you bank with a reputable institution.

Buy here, pay here...has been cut down a tad in recent years.

Small credit unions get the majority of their income with auto loans. Hence, if you waltz in with semi-decent credit to a dealership you will find most of the loans offered will be through local credit unions.

edit: Got some more crazy to add, CU's are the on the hook for a lot of weird scenarios when liens are due within the first 45-90 days...title transfer type stuff. All comes down to calculated risks, yada yada.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 1, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I’ll try to find it when I have time but Jalopnik (back when it was still good and run by the right people) did an article where they collected stories from a bunch of financial management experts and personal finance consultants, lawyers, etc at various for-profit/nonprofit firms that specifically dealt with veterans and military personnel

Just the most shocking/depressing auto financing stories you could imagine: dudes taking $80k loans where literally $20k is rolled-over balance owed on their prior two vehicles. Women getting divorced and being immediately financially ruined because their ex husband owes a masters degree-worth of money on a truck that he no longer owns.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ether Frenzy posted:

The really egregious examples of this are folks that have totalled a couple cars within 2-3 years, and roll it forward, so the principal mounts up.

Keep in mind that in every instance this came up on my claims, it was an extremely unscrupulous dealer handing the loan paperwork (we'd often see the same dealer over & over).

Maybe you or I can't pull it off, but some dealer working with a pliable financing institution can.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some car dealers are refusing to sell you a car if you want to buy it outright via cash, they demand you finance it to get that sweet, sweet financing commission.

gently caress scummy dealers

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

its always weird to me when some moneyed person with perfect credit finds out about predatory lending and is like "but dont they know you can get smart loans at safe interest rates at the bank?" like a newborn fawn in the woods

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

They blew up the chicken man in Memphis last night. Blew up his pyramid too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

StormDrain posted:

They blew up the chicken man in Memphis last night. Blew up his pyramid too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cactus Ghost posted:

its always weird to me when some moneyed person with perfect credit finds out about predatory lending and is like "but dont they know you can get smart loans at safe interest rates at the bank?" like a newborn fawn in the woods

I don't mean to clutch at my pearls too hard, but if I was king of the world I'd get JFK'd so hard by the payday loan industry. There's only so much greed and suffering that should be allowed.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

The really egregious examples of this are folks that have totalled a couple cars within 2-3 years, and roll it forward, so the principal mounts up.

Keep in mind that in every instance this came up on my claims, it was an extremely unscrupulous dealer handing the loan paperwork (we'd often see the same dealer over & over).

Maybe you or I can't pull it off, but some dealer working with a pliable financing institution can.

Ah, I didn't stop to think about the buy-here-pay-here shady lots doing things like that. Madness to contemplate getting yourself into a spot like that, I'm annoyed if I run a $2k balance on a CC from month to month.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You would probably die if you saw my CC debt. :smithicide:

Payday loans can hit upwards of 600% APR - they really, really prey on the desperate. You get stuck in a loop of having to pay the interest to renew the loan, then next thing you know that $500 you borrowed winds up running you a few thousand. If you're lucky.

Drivetime is the epitome of BHPH financing - they do most of their financing in house, take payments at the dealer (even weekly payments), target high risk/low credit score buyers, and their prices are absolutely nuts. The absolute cheapest car they have within 100 miles of me is a 10 year old 80k mile Chevy Spark for $13k. Isn't... that about what it sold for brand new? Also, I found the auction listing for it - they paid $400 for it, 200 miles ago, and it's been listed in 3 different cities since then (2 in DFW, then here - I'm assuming the 200 miles came from driving it down here from Dallas). The listing claims it's a 1 owner car, but in the auction photos, it has a BHPH dealer sticker on it, and the Autocheck that Drivetime helpfully provides shows it's been through 3 auctions, registered in 4 states (including a rust belt state, which the underbody photos on the auction site make obvious, plus the interior is a bit rough in the auction photos).

Carvana was started by the same family behind Drivetime, BTW, and uses the same finance company (owned by the same family as well) and extended warranty company (ditto).

Carmax has the nearly identical car (different color, manual transmission, otherwise appears to be identical down to the year - except it includes TWO keys!) for $9k, and Carmax is pretty drat expensive.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 3, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mH82OA0xbo

It is always amusing what some people put on the road with everyone else who actually maintains their poo poo. (also some amazing chance mechanical failures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYE-1HfReQo