Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Breetai posted:

How's LG's rep for OLED? They appear to have the more affordably priced options for large oleds.

LG is the maker for nearly every OLED out there. Only recently has Samsung decided to get back into making panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Upgraded my 55 “ TCL to a 65” lg OLED but now my eyes are killing me. I already had my tcl dim on dark cinema mode, so I know my eyes are sensitive but the LG is a whole different ballgame. I turned brightness down and put it the Cinema modes but am still having issues. Anyone have any similar experiences or know a guide that can solve this issue?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Start with the rtings calibration settings

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Greed posted:

Upgraded my 55 “ TCL to a 65” lg OLED but now my eyes are killing me. I already had my tcl dim on dark cinema mode, so I know my eyes are sensitive but the LG is a whole different ballgame. I turned brightness down and put it the Cinema modes but am still having issues. Anyone have any similar experiences or know a guide that can solve this issue?

You can try those computer glasses that are like $10 on Amazon.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I just picked up a new LG OLED. I’m already familiar with most TV settings and I always calibrate my TVs, but I was looking for input on a few things:

1. Dynamic Tone Mapping. Most calibration guides say to turn it off, but I find that I prefer how it looks with it on 90% of the time. My new TV has HGIG tone mapping. Can someone explain what this is? Apparently it is meant for games, but even if you turn it on and then use a game’s HDR calibration screen it seems to severely limit the dynamic range and crush white detail. Is it recommended to use this and is there a preferred way to calibrate for it?

2. What is the consensus on Dolby Vision vs. HDR10+? I’m having a hard time deciding which I prefer, but I did notice that Dynamic Tone Mapping is not available when Dolby Vision is being used.

3. Peak Brightness. I assume I should leave this as high so as to get the highest dynamic range?

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2023

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Just passed 10k hours on my 55" CX. If there's been any kind of degradation, it's imperceptible without direct comparison. However, it spends the majority of its time at a very dim OLED Light setting so I imagine it's been an easy 10k hours.

i mean, do you really need full brightness for 3am TOS episodes?

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
What OLED light setting do you use? I had my CX set at 90 for the longest time and eventually bumped it to 100 after like 4500-5000 hrs because I felt like it might have gotten a bit less bright. Then again, that could be because we moved to a condo with floor to ceiling windows. But we do most of our viewing after dark anyway.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

In the dim setting at 0 (zero) OLED light for about 7-8000 of those hours, with the rest at 100 for HDR movies and occasional gaming. Also several dozen hours of "Screen Off" blackness while music plays. I'm sure that counts towards hours even though the panel is technically off, but that's a rounding error against 10k.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932360&pagenumber=29&perpage=40&userid=0#post536857531

Greed
Apr 28, 2008

kri kri posted:

Start with the rtings calibration settings

Literally the first thing I did, nothing has helped at all except dramatically turning down brightness.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Now proud owner of an LG 83-inch C3 4K OLED evo Ai ThinQ Smart TV, thanks thread for the push in the right direction as looking carefully in the showroom the superiority of OLED is strikingly clear.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Greed posted:

Literally the first thing I did, nothing has helped at all except dramatically turning down brightness.

Absolutely not the ideal way to use it, and I'd only suggest doing it for testing purposes, but put the TV into "Game Mode" and then select the "Game Optimizer." There is a Dark Room setting with three options of Off, Level 1, and Level 2. Level 2 is the darkest mode; just try that and see if it's dark enough or still too bright. If the brightness looks okay, go into the picture settings and copy those down and change the Cinema mode to them and see if that helps.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Greed posted:

Glad you have a fix

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Breetai posted:

Now proud owner of an LG 83-inch C3 4K OLED evo Ai ThinQ Smart TV, thanks thread for the push in the right direction as looking carefully in the showroom the superiority of OLED is strikingly clear.

:hellyeah:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My OLED light is 40 because that's where it needed to be to be properly calibrated in SDR.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Greed posted:

Bias lighting or increasing the light levels in the room can help alleviate eye strain if you're watching in a dark room.

Human brightness perception is logarithmic and relative which is why you don't need as much light in a darker room to get the same perceived brightness as in a brighter room.

You can also adjust the Gamma setting to suit the lighting in your room and your preferences.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Klungar posted:

How wide is a shipping container?

The LTT people just had an unboxing video for a 115" TV, including getting it off of the truck...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I was thiiiiiis close to buying a 77" C3, then I saw one of the YouTube videos comparing it side by side with the G3. Wow, the MLA layer makes a huge difference. My only big problem with my A8H is how dim it is compared to an LCD. Seems like they basically fixed that with the MLA.

Now that the G4 has been announced, when can we expect prices on the G3 to fall? I could see myself pulling the trigger between $2500-3k.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Now that the G4 has been announced, when can we expect prices on the G3 to fall? I could see myself pulling the trigger between $2500-3k.
Depends on launch dates and whatnot for the 4 series.
The 3 series launched late March, and I remember seeing stuff around CostCo and BestBuy where they were getting rid of the 2s to make room for the new stock.

The G's probably don't move in the volume that the C and Bs do, though.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

KillHour posted:

As someone with a 77, I am qualified to say 85 is a big fuckin tv.

you'd think so, but every time I get a new tv, almost immediately I regret wishing I got the next size over

Greed posted:

you could try this guide:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/lg-2023-oleds-82545589

halokiller fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 4, 2024

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thanks again for the advice, everyone who responded, got the new tv delivered finally, mounted, and spent 2 afternoons hooking everything up.

How it started:

How it's going:

LG C3 85 inch, taking up pretty much zero space instead of reducing the room size by a meter due to the old TV's cabinet. Built in PVR means that we can chuck our old massive unit and instead we just have a hard drive mounted in the small cab under the tv. DVD is in there too, fed by HDMI cables via the wall, and computer is hooked up for gaming.

Excellent tv so far, frankly better picture quality than any I've seen and I'm noticing details that weren't even clear in theatres.

Also definitely bright enough ever for a well lit room. Even just the 4k demo video from YouTube we looked at just after mounting just popped out of the screen.

Stuff not recorded in digital or stuff that's low res and not a divisor of 2160 looks blurry as expected, but all in all I can't complain.

10/10, would definitely recommend.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Man, it is driving me crazy that it's not a foot or 2 lower. Cool TV though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was gonna commend him for not putting it higher. Most people I know have the loving things touching the ceiling.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Breetai posted:

Stuff not recorded in digital or stuff that's low res and not a divisor of 2160 looks blurry as expected, but all in all I can't complain.

lmao, if this is what I think it is :five:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

good job on the TV swap

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Okay, so I'm not the only one who thought that. lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just like the cat in the cube.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

now it's time to run a bunch of cables behind that wall

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

codo27 posted:

I was gonna commend him for not putting it higher. Most people I know have the loving things touching the ceiling.

my buddy texted me a couple weeks ago after discovering the r/tvtoohigh subreddit and becoming despondent over his choices

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I didn't even notice this holy poo poo

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

KillHour posted:

For real

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

my buddy texted me a couple weeks ago after discovering the r/tvtoohigh subreddit and becoming despondent over his choices
If your TV isn't as high as your movie posters then are you even living?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I was thiiiiiis close to buying a 77" C3, then I saw one of the YouTube videos comparing it side by side with the G3. Wow, the MLA layer makes a huge difference. My only big problem with my A8H is how dim it is compared to an LCD. Seems like they basically fixed that with the MLA.

The G3 is appreciably brighter, but the differences in YouTube videos are often exaggerated by exposing the video for the brighter TV, making the dimmer one look really lifeless in comparison.

That said, with all the updates to the G4 I’d be surprised if the G3 didn’t start selling for under $2600 in the next couple months.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
I appreciate the help regarding my C3 purchase, I decided to ship it back for a refund. I spent almost 2 weeks on settings but no matter what I do, I still find it very uncomfortable to watch. I live in a pretty rural area so it is hard to find somewhere to look at a tv in person so I will probably get burned a few more times trying out new TVs that won’t burn my retinas.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

KillHour posted:

I’d like to have my TV lower too, but *gestures at small children under 4*

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

tehinternet posted:

I’d like to have my TV lower too, but *gestures at small children under 4*

Yeah, we're about to mount a new 75" about 28" from the floor. I'm nervous and wondering if that's a good idea with a 2 year old about.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

incogneato posted:

Yeah, we're about to mount a new 75" about 28" from the floor. I'm nervous and wondering if that's a good idea with a 2 year old about.

It will be fine, plus the child can learn about proper tv height

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Okay, maybe this is more complicated than I anticipated.

Seems like pricing on the 83" C3 is coming down a lot - to the point where it's within striking distance of the 77" G3. The room is 12'2" wide, which is just about the recommended viewing distance for the 83". There's a huge wall there and I can make it fit. On the other hand, I'd be missing out on the MLA layer of the G3.

The other wrinkle is the 77" Samsung S90C, which is a lot cheaper than the G3 and apparently has similar performance, or possibly even better? But I am kind of terrified of buying a Samsung TV with a 1-year warranty when the G3 offers a 5 year warranty.

e: I should mention that I only ever watch content through an Apple TV, almost always SDR Blu-Ray 1:1 remuxes I make.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 7, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://apple.news/AbqJx9dJgQlKvCFL9qtH-Tw
(What Hi-Fi)

quote:

Samsung Display has developed 3000-nit QD-OLED TV panels – specific models coming at CES

A 3000-nit Samsung S95D QD-OLED now seem a CES certainty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Samsung posted:

Samsung Display states that the massive jump in brightness is thanks to 'advanced panel drive technology and artificial intelligence', and that 'each RGB color also sees a significant increase in brightness, approximately 50% more compared to last year’s version'.
How the gently caress does artificial intelligence amplify brightness?