Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Seems like he made up his mind about the no-NFL clause being in the extension offer

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1741331044647731526?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Guess who the Chargers partnered with last year

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1531716796478132224?t=f9OJGVT-7N_svSztcY2UHg&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there any reason (besides wanting to test the waters on Belichick) that they couldn't hire him this week

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

indigi posted:

is there any reason (besides wanting to test the waters on Belichick) that they couldn't hire him this week

Michigan could win tomorrow

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1741481073639669896

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I keep picking the Falcons to win every week because I am insane, but they have won more than I would have expected them to.

Also fire Arthur Smith before the game. Right this instant.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I feel like it's too early to declare victory/defeat on some of these coach retainments given there's two games to go.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
An official NFL account doing lovely aggregation posts sourced to an article that looks like it's mostly analysis rather than reporting is a really bad development

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Docjowles posted:

Among Schefter's weekly Saturday night news bombs:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1741331044647731526

I have no idea what to make of this so let's just go with Harbs to the Chargers confirmed

I was gonna say lol at looking at the last 2 years of Bears football and thinking "we gotta have more of this". But at this point it's like McDonalds. It may not be good but at least it's familiar

Jets missing the boat on Harbaugh this offseason just like they missed on Payton last offseason!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Eberflus staying doesn't surprise me too much, they have been playing better of late and we all know that ownership has the fuckin patience of Job. Might also mean they give Fields one more year, which will have big draft implications.

I don't get the logic of keeping Arthur Smith. This year was supposed to be playoffs-or-bust and they might get eliminated today. You can't spin the season as anything but a failure.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YES

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Arthur Smith should get kicked just for not leaning hard on Bijan.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If I were the GM I'd be sick of this guy wasting my loving correct picks.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Just to be clear, both the "Eberflus is expected to stay" and "It'd be a surprise if the Falcons move on from Smith" posts are tied to the same article that doesn't take nearly as strong a stance on their job security as the Twitter posts would lead you to believe:

quote:

It would be a surprise if the Falcons moved on from coach Arthur Smith, who is 21-28 over three seasons and enters Sunday's game at Chicago with playoff hopes alive. But owner Arthur Blank didn't close the door on changes in recent interviews, reiterating to The Athletic he was committed to Smith while adding: "We have two more games to go. Let's see what happens."

Smith signed a six-year deal when he was hired, and Blank knew a rebuild for a team in salary cap hell would take some time. The first two years were essentially clearing the decks and rebuilding, with this year being a far more competitive product on the field -- though the Falcons are still a 7-8 team that has twice benched quarterback Desmond Ridder for journeyman Taylor Heinicke.

Atlanta never went all-in on Ridder, a third-round pick who isn't expensive in the way a bridge starter may be. Turnovers doomed them in four of the games they lost with late leads. Addressing the QB spot will be paramount in 2024 because a lot of other pieces are in place: a talented skill group featuring several first-round picks, a solid offensive line and a defense that ranks top 10 for the first time in years despite the lack of a premier pass rusher.

If Atlanta finishes with solid performances in its final two games, Smith should be in good standing heading into Year 4. If it's a freefall, the Falcons' 81-year-old owner may have a different view.

quote:

The Bears have won four of their last six games and are 6-5 since snapping a 14-game losing streak back in October, showing improvement across the board and building a case for coach Matt Eberflus to see a third season.

The defense, in particular, has got better with Eberflus taking over play-calling -- a role he'd be likely to retain in 2024, even with the hiring of a new defensive coordinator -- and an immediate boost from the deadline trade for pass rusher Montez Sweat.

It hasn't all been smooth. Defensive coordinator Alan Williams resigned early in the season under mysterious circumstances. Running backs coach David Walker was fired. Quarterback Justin Fields' play has remained uneven, setting the stage for another major offseason decision by an organization that remains in line for the No. 1 pick, via general manager Ryan Poles' bold trade to send this past year's No. 1 pick to Carolina. But after a trying 2022, the Bears' roster has improved via an infusion of draft picks and cash, and the results have, too.

The Bears have a new team president, Kevin Warren, who is a big-picture thinker and always talks about taking a methodical, organized and deliberate approach to all decisions. (Informatively, Warren was a young executive with a Rams team that went 5-11 and 4-12 in Dick Vermeil's first two seasons, then won the Super Bowl in Year 3.) He'll have a strong voice in whatever decisions are made and take a wholistic view of things once the season ends.

So, Eberflus has two more game to make his closing argument: Sunday against an Atlanta team fighting for its playoff life and a rivalry game next week at Green Bay. Like all coaches hoping to carry momentum into the offseason, Eberflus needs a strong finish. But if the next two games look like the previous 11, signs appear to be pointing in a positive direction for Eberflus, while Poles appears safe.

Both entries note the coaches still need to finish strong, and it might just be wishful thinking on my part but the Eberflus one honestly reads like straight speculation to me

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Benne posted:

Eberflus staying doesn't surprise me too much, they have been playing better of late and we all know that ownership has the fuckin patience of Job. Might also mean they give Fields one more year, which will have big draft implications.

I don't get the logic of keeping Arthur Smith. This year was supposed to be playoffs-or-bust and they might get eliminated today. You can't spin the season as anything but a failure.
This. This will be the time an old regime picking a new QB for the next regime will work for the Bears.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If I were the GM I'd be sick of this guy wasting my loving correct picks.

yeah, they gotta use up all his carries before their fans expect to tag him two years in a row

Nov 6, 2002

A nice beat down at the hands of the Bears could do the job.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

A nice beat down at the hands of the Bears could do the job.

Yeah. It’s only halftime but a “solid performance” doesn’t look like it’s happening this week…

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
2 coaches enter 1 coach leaves

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Fire Sirianni

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Fire Harbaugh

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Just got off the phone with WIP. Sirianni is being left on the tarmac in Arizona. Finally we can begin healing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Asproigerosis posted:

Just got off the phone with WIP. Sirianni is being left on the tarmac in Arizona. Finally we can begin healing.

Seems excessive since the game was in Philly, but I guess ownership must be that pissed off.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i wish my lovely rear end team with a bad coach that needed to be replaced was 11-5

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

StupidSexyMothman posted:

i wish my lovely rear end team with a bad coach that needed to be replaced was 11-5

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Arthur Smith needs to be gone, good lord

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Mega64 posted:

Seems excessive since the game was in Philly, but I guess ownership must be that pissed off.

Gotts get him as far away as exculpatory so he can't find his way back.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Mike Tomlin has another winning season and there are people who want to fire him lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Mike Tomlin has another winning season and there are people who want to fire him lol

Seventeen straight seasons without a losing season. SEVENTEEN!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Honestly same with Harbaugh until this season. AFC North fans are loving spoiled babies

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

wandler20 posted:

Seventeen straight seasons without a losing season. SEVENTEEN!

He rules. Just a huge bummer that they lost both those games versus Arizona and New England (although reading a few select Pats fans melt down because they beat the Steelers was amusing).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

it's really incredible that he's going to the playoffs with that terrible team and QB. coaching is really everything in the NFL

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

it's really incredible that he's going to the playoffs with that terrible team and QB. coaching is really everything in the NFL

Hes not

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

He might!

They can clinch with a Titans win and Broncos win next week.

They wouldn't even need to beat the Ravens, they just need specific teams to be in a multi-way tie-breaker to clinch at 9-8.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Are you finally ready to admit he's a good coach???!!!???

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Are you finally ready to admit he's a good coach???!!!???

I said I think he's a good coach but also that he's overrated. Both can be true.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Matt Patricia is the rapist coordinator for the Eagles.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Honestly same with Harbaugh until this season. AFC North fans are loving spoiled babies

Kawalmus in GameDay thread "This team is awful. I don't see them winning another game. The coach and GM should be fired. We're one and done when we get to the playoffs."

In the game : Ravens are embarrassing the best team in the NFC and are currently the number one seed in the AFC.

Nov 6, 2002

Darth Brooks posted:

Kawalmus in GameDay thread "This team is awful. I don't see them winning another game. The coach and GM should be fired. We're one and done when we get to the playoffs."

In the game : Ravens are embarrassing the best team in the NFC and are currently the number one seed in the AFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Hizawk posted:

Matt Patricia is the rapist coordinator for the Eagles.

Every Eagles game where the defense looks like dogshit is one that helps ensure that he won't be named DC for the next season. There are worse Ls to take.