Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I have never seen a single sex happen in BG3 because I don't press the do sex button. People who say there's too much loving in bg3 are mashing the sex button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vic posted:

I have never seen a single sex happen in BG3 because I don't press the do sex button. People who say there's too much loving in bg3 are mashing the sex button.

there is a sex button for my computer? Why didn't they teach me that in typing class?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vic posted:

I failed a perception check and I tripped and fell and got my dick stuck in a pussy and then I failed the dexterity check to pull it out and then failed the constitution check not ro come.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm sure Balder's Gate 3 is a perfectly fine game, maybe even good, but seeing all the praise for it and seeing so many people actually playing it after all the Wizards of the Coast controversies over the past couple years really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

The main problem with BG3 IMO is that the Divinity: OS games are better versions of the same idea. The only reason to play BG3 over them is if you need dialog cutscenes or you're a dedicated companion-fucker.

Counterpoint, they are worse and not as good,

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Seb you don't even play video games.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm glad the "I've never played it and never will but here's my totally valid criticisms" group has their say on baldurs gate 3, now and for the next 10 years

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Satanic splash-back you also have never played video games.

I'm pretty sure Seb and Splash-back spent their times frolicking and having childhoods instead of playing games, so don't believe their opinions about these things. Just looking out for everyone.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Completted! High - five!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Become Bradzilla and threatin with stupid like Donk Kong.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure you were expressly told not to buy back PMs. This is your only warning. Further messaging of any mod or IK from this point and your account is on the line.

Bye.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 31, 2023

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What is wrong with that motherfucker?

Haey, you have spades?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

O.G. Dragon Age was actually a pretty good CRPG, I liked it a lot for what it was. I don't know why the advertisements were like "LOOK AT ALL THIS BLOOD!!!!" because the game wasn't like that at all, it was mostly really cool. It was a CRPG so of course there was some crazy weird poo poo in it, that comes with the territory. They hosed up so bad for DA2 that I didn't even bother with the third one

e: iirc this one had the impregnation life longevity ritual, pretty goofy crpg poo poo for sure

You should give DA3 a try. DA2 was so garbage because EA had a major hole in their release schedule and execs made a deal with the BioWare leadership, that if they could kick out DA2 way early, they would be given as much time as they wanted for 3.

3 is my favorite of the series, by a pretty decent margin.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm glad the "I've never played it and never will but here's my totally valid criticisms" group has their say on baldurs gate 3, now and for the next 10 years

I...I thought I was the only one

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Alright... So I loved the Talos Principle 2, and it 'was' my GotY.

But, at the last possible second, it's been pipped by 'The Invincible'. I feel like this post is probably fitting in this thread, given that the game is a walking simulator. But holy moly. I'm so glad I played it. It had a similar feeling as finishing a really good book. I was actually teary eyed at the end, but not for any one exact reason, just a swell of emotions that I couldn't really describe without some introspection.

I saw a picture of it pop up on Steam about a year ago, and thought the graphics looked nice so put it on my watchlist, and that was literally all the prep I had going in. Knowing it's a walking simulator you'll be more prepared than I was, but I'd still say, just play it raw if you can. I wanna gush about the visual design, voice acting, vibe, themes, sense of wonder and horror, emotional resonance etc etc.

I wanna hear you all go "Played it, couldn't skip the boring dialogue, uninstalled"

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

satanic splash-back posted:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I played it on the 360 and couldn't make my weapon make it through the docks to fight the weird two bodied, but no head boss. Guess they patched it

No Man's Wharf is intense af and one of my favorite areas in the entire franchise. The Flexile Sentry is a total pushover, but I think that's fair given how brutal everything leading up it was.

Also my latest unpopular opinion is that Laika: Aged in Blood (the grimdark furry motocross metroidvania) is the one true GOTY. Fight me.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

!Klams posted:

Alright... So I loved the Talos Principle 2, and it 'was' my GotY.

But, at the last possible second, it's been pipped by 'The Invincible'. I feel like this post is probably fitting in this thread, given that the game is a walking simulator. But holy moly. I'm so glad I played it. It had a similar feeling as finishing a really good book. I was actually teary eyed at the end, but not for any one exact reason, just a swell of emotions that I couldn't really describe without some introspection.

I saw a picture of it pop up on Steam about a year ago, and thought the graphics looked nice so put it on my watchlist, and that was literally all the prep I had going in. Knowing it's a walking simulator you'll be more prepared than I was, but I'd still say, just play it raw if you can. I wanna gush about the visual design, voice acting, vibe, themes, sense of wonder and horror, emotional resonance etc etc.

I wanna hear you all go "Played it, couldn't skip the boring dialogue, uninstalled"

Nah we're on the same page, it was a good game I enjoyed. Don't know about GOTY but one of the few games I could bother to beat this year.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't need to roll around in garbage to identify it as garbage. A game that hasn't convinced me to play it does not get immunity from criticism from me nor should it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't need to roll around in garbage to identify it as garbage. A game that hasn't convinced me to play it does not get immunity from criticism from me nor should it.

quote:

Nah you can gently caress off instead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

for me the biggest problem with Dark Souls 2 was weapon degradation. It turned me off it. Same reason I didn't really like Breath of the Wild.

I didn't even remember that DS2 had weapon degradation it was such a non-issue.

It was an issue in The Witcher 3 though, which I presume you also decided not to play? Pretty huge mistake in both cases imo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's not good enough that somebody doesn't care about the flaws they have to convince themselves anybody who sees flaws is somehow ineligible to see them. If you didn't play imperfect games this wouldn't be a problem.

edit: I've got Elden Ring sitting on my Steam Deck and I should play it but won't because it's bad and I rather post that it's bad. What if I like it? What if I'm wrong and play a fun game? UNACCEPTABLE.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 31, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
equipment degredation was such a problem in witcher 3 that i installed a mod to remove it and it still happened anyway!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
based on this threads recommendation i am playing dark souls numero uno on my ancient Surface Pro 4 laptop

it actually plays well, and after playing both the recent God o' Wars, the game is sorta fun and easy?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

It's not good enough that somebody doesn't care about the flaws they have to convince themselves anybody who sees flaws is somehow ineligible to see them. If you didn't play imperfect games this wouldn't be a problem.

edit: I've got Elden Ring sitting on my Steam Deck and I should play it but won't because it's bad and I rather post that it's bad. What if I like it? What if I'm wrong and play a fun game? UNACCEPTABLE.

New av/text speed run any%?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've observed that unlike a lot of other massively popular franchises, Dark Souls fans tend to be pretty open to criticism about their game. They'll often admit openly that these are flawed games, that they're not for everybody, that it's okay to not like a Dark Souls game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm playing Midnight Suns right now and that's exactly how I'm treating the dialogue :hai: Oh you have a chat bubble above your head? Click-click-cl-cl-click-click-click. Okay I'll choose the option that gives me Dark alignment points. Click-click-click-click.

Is this game good if you find the idea of a Marvel B-list dating sim utterly unappealing? The gameplay looks cool, but I don't know if it's worth gritting my teeth through that poo poo.

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't even remember that DS2 had weapon degradation it was such a non-issue.

It was an issue in The Witcher 3 though, which I presume you also decided not to play? Pretty huge mistake in both cases imo

There was initially this weird bug with the PC version where if you attacked a freshly dead ragdolling enemy it would take out like a 3rd of your weapon's durability, with the amount dependent on your framerate. Once they fixed that it was a pointless non-mechanic, like most durability mechanics.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 31, 2023

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I played hundreds of hours of DS2 and never had a weapon break. It wasn't even feasibly possible unless you were playing on PC with a framerate unlocker since degradation happened based on the number of frames the weapon spent in contact with an object, or if you were going for a zero-bonfire run since it would take like 3-4 full zones of use for a weapon to break and resting at a bonfire repaired them. It was a weirdly vestigial system that got scrapped or nerfed out of relevance at some point before release.

it was patched post launch, weapon degradation was really bad at launch

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've had one warning about my falchion being near breaking so far, and I didn't feel like I was doing an exceptionally long trip out or anything. It gave me pause for a second, because weapon degradation is a bullshit mechanic in all games (said by someone who adores System Shock 2, no less) but it doesn't feel like it's going to be a problem. A potentially bigger problem is that it appears enemies stop respawning if you kill them too much? I like to farm.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this game good if you find the idea of a Marvel B-list dating sim utterly unappealing? The gameplay looks cool, but I don't know if it's worth gritting my teeth through that poo poo.

The combat part is really fun, the dating sim and abbey exploration stuff is not fun. You can spam right click through all the dialog and skip all the cutscenes and your playtime is still going to be probably 50% non-combat stuff. It also does a pretty annoying thing where a bunch of poo poo that should happen through a menu (all the strategic layer stuff like research, sending heroes on missions, upgrading things) is done through the diegetic UI of running around the abbey interacting with various things, and a lot of your resource gains come from running around the abbey clicking glowing orbs. Also it has really hardcore cheat protection stuff so you can't just cheat for resources to skip all of that, because cosmetics in this singleplayer game cost real money and they don't want to risk someone cheating for the tokens to unlock them.

I think it would be a great game if the whole abbey side of it was replaced with a menu ala xcom but as-is it's just okay. I've liked it less and less the further I've played because all of the running around talking to people and interacting with objects gets really grueling. The best parts of the game are when you're between story missions and just grinding random missions because there's not much cutscene/dialog skipping to do there and you can do missions almost back-to-back.

But also it kind of feels like it was designed to be a mobile game. I mean it doesn't feel like a mobile game, you can just tell that they designed it in some ways with the hope of a mobile release being a big cash grab selling cosmetics and resource packs etc (I don't think they actually sell resource packs right now). idk I'm still playing it anyway because I do enjoy the combat encounters and that stuff is pretty cleverly designed but no I wouldn't recommend anyone go out of their way to play it unless you really want a Superhero Friendship Sim. Though I will give points to it for being such a dialog-heavy game and making it extremely easy to skip through the dialog and just pick options that give the bonuses you want.

But mostly I would say that if you are interested wait until tomorrow-ish when it should be in a Humble Bundle and you can pick it up for a couple bucks.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it was patched post launch, weapon degradation was really bad at launch

I played it on PS3 launch day and every day for weeks afterward and never had a weapon break :shrug:

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I've had one warning about my falchion being near breaking so far, and I didn't feel like I was doing an exceptionally long trip out or anything. It gave me pause for a second, because weapon degradation is a bullshit mechanic in all games (said by someone who adores System Shock 2, no less) but it doesn't feel like it's going to be a problem. A potentially bigger problem is that it appears enemies stop respawning if you kill them too much? I like to farm.

You can burn a Bonfire Ascetic to increase a specific area to the next level of NG+ difficulty and reset all the spawns, it's a pretty cool mechanic that also lets you do things like get NG+ Only drops on NG

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 31, 2023

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

maybe it was just the pc version, i remember in the prison section my weapon would wear out in the first part after the bonfire, because of the greatsword guys all rushing and the weapon contacting a hundred things at once.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

credburn posted:

I've observed that unlike a lot of other massively popular franchises, Dark Souls fans tend to be pretty open to criticism about their game. They'll often admit openly that these are flawed games, that they're not for everybody, that it's okay to not like a Dark Souls game.

:yeah:

I was very surprised by Elden Ring's massive popularity, they really pulled it off with the advertising. It's a great game, but I wouldn't expect it to have so much mass appeal. I'm guessing the DLC won't see those kinds of numbers but who knows

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DS2 has a nice system for managing unique enemy respawns, you can basically go to NG+ in any area by using a Bonfire Ascetic. This also respawns items, chests, etc. So if you badly want a second copy of some special weapon you can easily get one, it's a really cool idea. And you can do this multiple times per area

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

credburn posted:

Unacceptable what's the point of criticizing something if people aren't desperately looking for a way to not admit something has flaws.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The problem with Elden Ring DLC is that there was already so much base Elden Ring that everyone I know was burnt out by the time they crossed the finish line. The Haligtree already felt like DLC.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
DS2 is great if you like looking poo poo up on wikis because it has 30 special doors that take special keys but there's only like 15 of the special keys

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The elden ring DLC should be an alternate gamemode that strips the open world chaff junk outta the game and gives you a straightforward classical Souls map consisting of all the same content as vanilla Elden Ring

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

DS2 is great if you like looking poo poo up on wikis because it has 30 special doors that take special keys but there's only like 15 of the special keys

You get those keys by helping the rats out with their covenant. Since it's PVP focused that's a bit more difficult to do now, but it was relatively easy to unlock everything.

Rule of thumb, the ones where there are a shitton of the doors are for traps and monsters for the PVP mode. So you don't need to open those if you don't want to.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's also kind of a silly complaint because, outside of the optional, skippable (you can just run straight to the boss after you enter) pvp zone focused around them (where you can farm lockstones by killing rats or pvping) which has a bunch of doors that do nothing except enable traps or adjust pathing through the pvp zone, there are 14 lockstones and like 14 doors to open with them, and none of them are necessary at all and generally just make the area they're in slightly easier.

e: Okay I looked it up there are like 17 doors. But only one has anything particularly good behind it (a soul vessel, which is only important if you wanna respec)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Joining the Covenant of Champions located in Majula turns off despawning. If you ever want to farm an area just join the covenant for a bit and then leave it when your done. It’s much better than ascetic farming (which you shouldn’t do) since it doesn’t permanently raise an areas and bosses difficulty, use a resource, or desync your NG+ cycles.