Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Adrian Kempe headshotted himself last night skating off the bench and it was loving hilarious and also the worst ref call of the year since Lavoie got a penalty.

The NHL continues to be endless entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Twin Cinema posted:

I still can't get over there's someone named Rutger McGroarty playing hockey, and that he's good enough that I may actually be saying his name out loud.

Just found out today there's someone named Zeev Buium also on Team USA, and he has the potential to be a top draft pick this year.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Getting owned by a fuckin 70 year old on Twitter

Butchie don't miss. Never has, never will. Every shot and every chirp is top shelf, right in the toy department Brendan, man alive!!!

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Misanthrope posted:

Just saw this on twitter... Nathan Mackinnon has 27 points since the last time Huberdeau got a point on November 30th.

The worst contract in the NHL has a chance to go pointless for all of December if he doesn't get one tonight.

I feel like there has to be a point soon where they just stop playing him if it's that bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JamesNicholsNHL/status/1741460546807832637

As crazy as this is to say, can they really afford to trade him? He's been their best defensive forward this season......

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

...why would they deal McLeod? He's the best faceoff guy in the league, a great defensive forward, and has some offensive pop.

I'll wait and see, because it might be that he's involved in a fairly big deal to address goaltending? But he's been really good this year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Does anyone if the leafs organization stop to wonder if it's something they're doing to the goalies that's making them all bad as soon as they get them?

The Leafs have two other goalies above .915 on the year, what’s happening to Samsonov is not a systemic issue. Also every starter acquired under Shanahan’s regime except for Freddie was worse before they came to the team, Campbell revived his career here before collapsing in Edmonton, Samsonov had his best season last year.

The Leafs have been a good defensive team under Keefe, their issue is that they roster bad goalies and make them look good for as long as they can until it bites them in the rear end.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That article essentially reads "teams are asking about McLeod in trade talks and NJ would consider trading him for the right deal", not "the Devils are actively shopping McLeod"

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also, filed under “big problems for the Leafs that have nothing to do with bottom 6 centres or defensive depth:”

https://x.com/JFreshHockey/status/1741498801779531980?s=20

Mitch picked a bad year to decide to go through a rough patch

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

fawning deference posted:

...why would they deal McLeod? He's the best faceoff guy in the league, a great defensive forward, and has some offensive pop.

I'll wait and see, because it might be that he's involved in a fairly big deal to address goaltending? But he's been really good this year.

Maybe because they're getting someone huge back?

Like Tyler Myers!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

But yeah if they're sending McLeod out it's to the Ducks for John Gibson. Can't imagine Nashville will trade Saros when they're in playoff position so it's gotta be Gibs.

e: I guess it could be Markstrom

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://x.com/Senators/status/1741519599797936195

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Also, filed under “big problems for the Leafs that have nothing to do with bottom 6 centres or defensive depth:”

https://x.com/JFreshHockey/status/1741498801779531980?s=20

Mitch picked a bad year to decide to go through a rough patch

Why are the numbers on the right for '22-'24 instead of '23-'24?? :psyduck:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It’s a JFresh chart so the odds that’s a typo are extremely high.

Also thanks to the new tracking data seems like we already have an answer: he’s probably hurt!

https://x.com/jfreshhockey/status/1741503474510991710?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jfresh does this early in the season to account for sample size. So it's last year and this year combined.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Bacon, the guy who produces those numbers, doesn't have the separate numbers for this year until about the halfway point of the season (a combination of low sample size and it being too much effort to update them all constantly) so it's the combined numbers for the past 2 years in the right column (which is why it's 114 games). In the case of big changes like Marner's EV Defense it means that it going down nearly 30% is actually a much bigger drop than to just "slightly above league average".

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Moving McLeod for a real goalie might be smart but if it’s not a legit goalie then ehhhh

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would simply update the numbers for a separate season but okay whatever.

Koopa Kid posted:

Also thanks to the new tracking data seems like we already have an answer: he’s probably hurt!

I would have simply fixed Matthews' wrist without taking a piece out of Marner's leg.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

I guess they’re grooming Bowness as the next GM which I’m ambivalent about, but the Poulin hiring came out of left field.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1741535717594210351

Congrats Leafs fans

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
drat, thought they’d hold on a little longer. Good riddance.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I hope he can regain his confidence and net composure in time because he's a good dude.

But Hildeby has been extremely lights out in the AHL and I mad he hadn't gotten a call up before sticking Jones between the pipes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would wait until about March to start exposing Hildeby to pro scouts. Good chance he gets figured out in time for the Leafs' annual early playoffs collapse.

But I guess even being in the playoffs is not a cinch at this point (good gods the East is a giant clusterfuck, there are 7 teams between 43 and 38 points, fighting for 4 playoff spots) so with Woll out long term the Leafs must feel like they can't keep running with just Martin Jones. Though I'm surprised to look it up and see Jones is actually rocking a .915 in his limited playing time so far.

e: the Hurricanes are currently 4th in the East with 44 points, the Caps and Devils are 8th/9th with 40 points, the Red Wings and Penguins are 11th/12th with 38 points.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 31, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1741539601477439892

It's a goaltending waiver free for all

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Buffalo is such a poorly run team, I have to assume its the owners at this point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Meanwhile the Bruins are cruising toward getting to hang up another Presidents Trophy banner. I should have considered it's possible they're the team about to trade a goalie for McLeod plus other stuff. McLeod makes more sense for a team trying to win the Cup right now than a team like the Flames or Ducks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're 3 back with a game in hand, so the Rangers are still in control.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1741430610449625476

Fuckin lunatic behaviour

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dogshit coach

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

DOPS: I like the cut of his jib

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

congratulations to Steve Staios, who ran the Steve Staios hiring committee to hire Steve Staios as permanent GM. and was so nice to throw in the President of Hockey Ops title too!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

They actually did it! Too bad they already cost themselves 4-5 standings points unnecessarily by not doing it sooner.

Drunk Canuck posted:

I hope he can regain his confidence and net composure in time because he's a good dude.

Sammy’s had composure for exactly four months during one season in his entire career, it’s a lot safer to expect that was a fluke and I don’t know who’ll want to give him another shot after this but I sure as poo poo don’t.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Though I'm surprised to look it up and see Jones is actually rocking a .915 in his limited playing time so far.

As I mentioned, the idea that the Leafs skaters are to blame for Sammy’s or any of their previous goalie struggles just isn’t rooted in reality, they pick up trash and make it serviceable until the competition ramps
up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Looks like a Babcock in training.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Bard Maddox posted:

congratulations to Steve Staios, who ran the Steve Staios hiring committee to hire Steve Staios as permanent GM. and was so nice to throw in the President of Hockey Ops title too!

I enjoyed both him and Dubas pretending to look for qualified GMs for a month or 2 before naming themselves as the best candidate

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Allow myself to introduce… myself

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I'm actually half surprised Shanahan didn't do that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ovechkin added Goalie number 171 to the list.

Haven’t seen this in a while…

https://x.com/Capitals/status/1741272390124830887?s=20

https://x.com/Capitals/status/1741275506358497335?s=20

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 31, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm actually half surprised Shanahan didn't do that.

Given how Toronto fans are it’s pretty important for Shanny and his family that he is not the direct face of the Leafs’ moves. It’s become clear that he’s very involved if you’re paying attention of course but most people aren’t that attentive.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Watching this and thinking "oh yeah, I had coaches yank my sweater and yell at me like that when I was a kid, nbd"

I played house league 6 of my 9 seasons

Christ, minor hockey in Canada is so hosed up

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Isn't Spengler Cup an adult competition