Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
*standing in the aftermath of a 15 person battle*

“Is that blood? No, never mind”

For actual content, this war in Mount and Blade is going nowhere and I feel like I’m just spinning wheels. You also take so much damage and take so long to heal still I’m only taking part in one out of four fights.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fifty Farts posted:

"Aye, it's done!" has stayed in my brain for 20 years because of that game.

And there it is. I could hear his voice, but the specific phrase kept slipping away from me.
I played NWN and all the expansions so so much. I remember the combination of joy and horror in Hordes of the Underdark, when I found the chest containing all my stuff that had been stolen at the start. Stuff that was the buildup of multiple play-throughs, stuff I'd been hoarding for years in case I might need it. I'd built up an entirely new shitload of stuff, and now I had to integrate and sort all my old stuff as well.

Dump it? I'm sorry, those words have no meaning for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE4 Remake has some of the worst audio balancing. Enemies that aren't directly on screen in front of you are basically silent. Firing your gun is so loud it is a gameplay detriment because you can no longer hear enemies on your left, right, or behind you. The Mercenaries is really dragged down by this, I keep getting grabbed by enemies from off screen because I just didn't hear them approach even though they surely made noise.

Yet movement sounds inside a building next to you echo like they came from a cave.

Edit: vvvv that too, she's always running close to the camera behind you so her breathing is way louder than everything else lol.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Dec 30, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for me it was ashley's huffing and puffing, drove me batshit on headphones

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pookah posted:

And there it is. I could hear his voice, but the specific phrase kept slipping away from me.
I played NWN and all the expansions so so much. I remember the combination of joy and horror in Hordes of the Underdark, when I found the chest containing all my stuff that had been stolen at the start. Stuff that was the buildup of multiple play-throughs, stuff I'd been hoarding for years in case I might need it. I'd built up an entirely new shitload of stuff, and now I had to integrate and sort all my old stuff as well.

Dump it? I'm sorry, those words have no meaning for me.

I totally missed that the chest with stolen gear had multiple pages / could be scrolled (don't remember which), because chests with that much loot didn't seem to exist in the original campaign and previous expansion Shadows of Undrentide. So yeah, I unknowingly ended up dumping a lot of stuff :v:

Since the level cap of HotU is so high I don't feel like I missed out, but I was not emotionally attached to it anyway (outside of one late game SoU souvenir which I did get).

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I quite like baldurs gate 3 but

*click*

[Elf ponce] shits self
[Orc dick] shits self
[Cleric yawn] shits self
[Cock_so_much_cock_420] shits self
[Elf ponce] shits self again on fire
[Orc dick] shits self again on fire
[Cleric yawn] shits self again on fire
[Cock_so_much_cock_420] shits self again on fire poisoned
[Elf ponce] shits self again on fire poisoned
[Orc dick] shits self again on fire poisoned
[Cleric yawn] shits self again on fire poisoned

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
aww man, you fell for the 'food poisoning at camp from the expired chili' trap too?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Last Celebration posted:

“DS1 kinda falls apart in the second half” isn’t exactly a blistering hot take these days, but it feels kinda weird all the same how much the interconnected map is praised when even ignoring Anor Londo giving you quick travel it kinda stops being a thing by Sen’s Fortress except as a quick way to/from the bottom of Blighttown so you can get to the Lordvessel section. Kinda wonder if the second half would be more polished if the levels were mostly their own thing like DS3/ER.

The interconnected map is also a huge pain in the rear end when you need to go anywhere for anything after your first trip through because it almost always means you need to loop through like two to four zones on foot, with some minimal shortcuts at best. The other games giving you fast travel by default was an infinitely better idea because meandering across the entire world constantly sucked rear end and I don't give a poo poo how interconnected the world was.

Icochet posted:

I quite like baldurs gate 3 but

*click*

[Elf ponce] shits self
[Orc dick] shits self
[Cleric yawn] shits self
[Cock_so_much_cock_420] shits self
[Elf ponce] shits self again on fire
[Orc dick] shits self again on fire
[Cleric yawn] shits self again on fire
[Elf ponce] shits self again on fire poisoned
[Orc dick] shits self again on fire poisoned
[Cleric yawn] shits self again on fire poisoned

That's some weird mods you've got there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought the interconnected world was cool but it's weird how many people think it was the singular best part of the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People who played Demon's first don't tend to rate Dark 1 as high. Much of the praise for Dark is just love for the novelty of it being their first being explained away with other factors so as to not admit they overrate their entry into the series.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dark Souls

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Is bad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Salt and Sacrifice is a 2d Monster Hunter built on the bones of the better 2d Dark Souls Salt and Sanctuary. I'm enjoying it because the MH loop of kill big monsters -> get better gear -> kill bigger monsters works for me and the general game play is fine, but it has a couple big issues dragging it down.

First, no map. The levels aren't huge and dead ends are rare, but navigating them can still be a confusing hassle.

Second, with the rare exception of finding one use items with hit lists of 3 or 4 mages to kill in a level, the only way to track one is to deal enough damage to it that you get a pointer in the right direction. This has two problems.

If another mage gets in the way and you deal more damage to it, your tracker gets overwritten with the new mage. There's no other way to tag or track a specific mage, so once that's overwritten, you just have to hope you stumble across your target again.

More importantly, you can't just dial up a mage you need to complete an item. Mages are scattered somewhat randomly around the maps, so while they have regular hunting grounds, if they aren't nearby, good luck finding them.

It also has items locked behind covenants based around a long dead multi-player, which seems like a pretty silly move for a small indie production. Most major MH clones die unceremonious deaths within months of release. Ska Studios has been making games long enough to know this game wouldn't do the kind of numbers necessary to support multi-player.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gaius Marius posted:

People who played Demon's first don't tend to rate Dark 1 as high. Much of the praise for Dark is just love for the novelty of it being their first being explained away with other factors so as to not admit they overrate their entry into the series.

I've come to realize that there's a whole generation of gamers with permanent psychic damage caused by the 360/PS3 era and a lot of them project their weird hangups onto DS1.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of it that DS1 was my introduction, so obviously nothing after is gonna have the impact of Capra or O&S just cause I'm used to the Dark Souls vibe now.

The interconnected thing is still cool though just because DS1's freedom is in how powerful you can get super early once you know what you're doing. Soul Level 1 Power Within+Red Tearstone Ring as soon as you arrive, a +15 weapon with 1 boss killed, Wrath of the Gods with 2. If you want Wrath of the Gods in Dark Souls 2, you can get hosed because it doesn't exist until NG+2 or 150 loving victories in the pvp covenant.

DS1 and 2 are basically equal for me though, they have different highs that are balanced by different lows. DS3's the worst one so far because I really don't like the "lol we just cranked up the enemies' speed lol" type of difficulty.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Demonses'ses Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 are all 10/10 games. perfect trilogy. maybe they will make more one day.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It reminds me of how people sometimes breathlessly talk about how Super Metroid is brilliant specifically because you can sequence break. And again, I'm not saying that stuff isn't interesting, but Super Metroid kicks rear end even if you never sequence break at all.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Murdoch posted:

I've come to realize that there's a whole generation of gamers with permanent psychic damage caused by the 360/PS3 era and a lot of them project their weird hangups onto DS1.

I played Demon's Souls first, part of what I appreciated about Dark Souls 1 were little things like the Taurus Demon and the archery spot above it. Most bosses in Demon's Souls couldn't deal with having no direct path to you. So you could just sit out of their range and plink them to death with arrows or magic. Taurus even has that little window where it seems like he'll let you do that before jumping up.

John Murdoch posted:

It reminds me of how people sometimes breathlessly talk about how Super Metroid is brilliant specifically because you can sequence break. And again, I'm not saying that stuff isn't interesting, but Super Metroid kicks rear end even if you never sequence break at all.

Yeah, one of the many reasons why I couldn't get into DS2 is all of my friends who were mega fans are in that "I've broken the game over my knee" mode, where the thing they really enjoy are those b-line for weapons and builds and otherwise rushing through, which also takes out the fun of exploring or seeing stuff with fresh eyes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They made some ever so slight adjustments to the combat in Dks1 and I prefer DeS.

Like DeS had that really useful push move that extended your combos and switching between weapons and 2H stance was slightly faster so you could do stuff like push the enemy, switch to 2H and finish them off with a heavy attack.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
While the combat systems in Jagged Alliance 3 are great, I'm really not a fan of the overworld stuff. Namely the timed stuff. I had an event pop off where some dude was about to be attacked and I was nowhere near the location, and my options to head up there was to either take out 2 outposts because they stop water travel (then head back to a port to take a boat), or to go by land and take out multiple hostile squads that were in the zones between me and the target. It just wasn't possible for me to reach that point before the enemy squad reached them and killed the guy. I haven't played for a few days now cause I don't know if I should just continue and miss whatever content was gated behind saving that guy or restarting and instead of doing things in the south I should do things up north where that event happened. But then there might be more stuff that'll just happen after enough time has passed that I probably wont be able to respond to if I happen to be operating somewhere else on the map and my enthusiasm to continue dries up

To go along with this, in a lot of games where you can get locked out of stuff, like in Baldur's Gate 3 and failing speech checks or just observation checks in the world and missing things, people say "Well thats just something you can find out on your second playthrough!" but man, games are so loving long these days that saying I should come back for a second 40+ hour playthrough, ultimately playing the same stuff and doing the same things, just to do a handful of things different really isn't as big of a sell to me as people think it is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

Salt and Sacrifice is a 2d Monster Hunter built on the bones of the better 2d Dark Souls Salt and Sanctuary. I'm enjoying it because the MH loop of kill big monsters -> get better gear -> kill bigger monsters works for me and the general game play is fine, but it has a couple big issues dragging it down.

First, no map. The levels aren't huge and dead ends are rare, but navigating them can still be a confusing hassle.

Second, with the rare exception of finding one use items with hit lists of 3 or 4 mages to kill in a level, the only way to track one is to deal enough damage to it that you get a pointer in the right direction. This has two problems.

If another mage gets in the way and you deal more damage to it, your tracker gets overwritten with the new mage. There's no other way to tag or track a specific mage, so once that's overwritten, you just have to hope you stumble across your target again.

More importantly, you can't just dial up a mage you need to complete an item. Mages are scattered somewhat randomly around the maps, so while they have regular hunting grounds, if they aren't nearby, good luck finding them.

It also has items locked behind covenants based around a long dead multi-player, which seems like a pretty silly move for a small indie production. Most major MH clones die unceremonious deaths within months of release. Ska Studios has been making games long enough to know this game wouldn't do the kind of numbers necessary to support multi-player.

I found Salt and Sacrifice to be a huge step down from Sanctuary, the worst thing about it was that enemy poise and attack animations are such that you have to play way more defensively than in a good Soulslike. I was cautiously optimistic about it being a hunting type game, but I don't think they pulled it off especially well, and it ends up highlighting what they gave up by moving away from the more metroidvania style prequel, which had way better level/world design.

Salt and Sanctuary is still my pick for best non-From soulslike so Sacrifice being not very good really stung.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If I start a NG+ in Elden Ring and respec into a faith build, will all the spells I sold in my first run still be there? I unloaded ones I was never gonna use. TIA.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
As in, to buy/find from the locations they were in before on NG+0? Afaik yeah, but it might be worth getting Scarlet Aeonia if you still have one of those mausoleums available that dupe boss souls, most of the other sources of Scarlet Rot got nerfed to some degree so it can be a fun tool. Also I guess Malekith’s Blade of Destined Death, it’s not like the most efficient source of the destined death debuff but it’s cool as gently caress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The story in Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince blows. It's all really jarringly edited and told in the weirdest, most stilted way possible - and on top of that the game clearly expects you to know the events of Dragon Quest IV by heart because it will just straight up skip events and assume you know what happened and why. For context, you play as a younger and less murderous version of IV's antagonist; Psaro the Manslayer and at one point out of the blue an NPC tells you to go enter a tournament with zero context or explanation for why, and you might think it's another monster fighting tournament like you've been doing through the game, but it's not. It's like, just a regular dude fighting tournament that happens over the course of a very short and very awkward cutscene where Psaro beats one guy, then someone tells him someone in another country has had visions of the lord of the underworld, then he runs away and the game cuts to another npc saying something along the lines of "Oh no... all those people.." and then it cuts back to you standing in the lobby of the arena. That's it, that's all the game gives you.

In Dragon Quest IV the story is told with each chapter starring a different protagonist and like the second chapter stars Alena, a princess who's father starts having visions of the lord of the underworld and after a series of small time adventures she enters a tournament in a nearby kingdom to save a princess who's hand in marriage was promised to the victor, and the current champion looks to be some psycho named Psaro the Manslayer who needlessly kills all of his opponents. However as she prepares for the last round of the tournament; her opponent is a no-show and she's alerted to an attack on her home kingdom and arrive to find the entire place devoid of life after a demon attack later found out to have been led by minions of Psaro.

So it's like the game is half telling the story from the antagonist's point of view, except they didn't bother actually telling the bits of the story that weren't shown in the original game and then just don't even bother telling you what happened in-game. It's a bizarrely sloppy mess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I know a lot of the Monster games star characters from other DQ games, but it’s still funny that there’s one where you play as the protagonist, Psaro the Manslayer.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The actual worst part of any Souls game is the tree jump at the start of DS3. The risk is nothing, the reward is huge, but it's so drat fiddly that rather than playing the game you just do barrel rolls by a tree for thirty minutes trying to get the angle right.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Back in the day I made a guy called tree the moment I heard about that and indeed for like an hour practiced running up it to get on that roof early. Now I can still do it in one try like 8 years later. Muscle memory rules.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I’m playing through the old Uncharted games and I really wish there was a version that cut out all the gunfights and just let me solve puzzles around old ruins.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I personally think more games should have unskippable climbing sequences.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I’m playing through the old Uncharted games and I really wish there was a version that cut out all the gunfights and just let me solve puzzles around old ruins.

The mobile game's like that but the puzzles aren't as good obviously

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I know a lot of the Monster games star characters from other DQ games, but it’s still funny that there’s one where you play as the protagonist, Psaro the Manslayer.

That's only really true for the first game where you play as a younger version of Terry from VI, and Caravan Heart where you play as Kiefer from VII. In DQM 2, and the Joker series you play as original characters as far as I'm aware.

The game goes through great pains to soften Psaro the Manslayer. Aside from being like, a teenager in this game He doesn't appear to kill his tournament opponents, he's motivated mostly by really childish "gently caress you dad" energy rather than any actual hatred of humanity, he's not the one who torches the hero's village; it's his secret older brother who uses his name and does it instead, and basically every other conflict is presented as him just being on the defensive. But at the same time his love interest, Rose, is somehow presented with even less character than she had in the original game. Dude just makes a magical tower for her after a single screen transition that tells you "a few days" pass and then she just sits there forever except to occasionally show up in cutscenes to talk to npcs because Psaro's a silent protagonist. it's really weird.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

moosecow333 posted:

I personally think more games should have unskippable climbing sequences.

SNAAAAAAAKE EATEEEEEEEEER

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

JackSplater posted:

SNAAAAAAAKE EATEEEEEEEEER
Snake Eater but it's a VR remake and you have to VR climb it. The music pauses if you stop for too long.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Croccers posted:

Snake Eater but it's a VR remake and you have to VR climb it. The music pauses if you stop for too long.

In VR chat there was a room where you actually did the climb, and if you were too slow and couldn't reach the top before the song ended it would have a black platform with "Mission Failed" on it come falling down and knock you off, while playing the MGS game over music. It was certainly a work out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE4 Remake has distinctly lovely ladders. You were invincible while climbing or vaulting in the original but now you can be smacked off them by anything including an enemy peacefully coming down. Why give them the priority!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cyberpunk 2077 has about the most obnoxious method of throwing sidequests at you I’ve ever seen where NPCs randomly call you and tell you to do something for them, except this can happen while you are actively in a conversation for a different quest, and the game has no dialogue log so it’s easy for me to miss what someone said because I was distracted by rejecting a call mid-sentence. it’s extra bad when it’s from a character you’ve never met before who tells you next to nothing on the phone and gives you no reason to care about their quest until you’ve already started it just to humor them.

in general, the lack of a dialogue log is a major thing dragging the game down because by the time I get to doing a quest hours after its original briefing I only have the vaguest memory what it’s about and the journal description for the quest is something meaningless like “so, we’re really doin’ this? looks like you’re about to get on a lot of chooms’ bad side. gotta say, I didn’t think you had it in you.”