Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Uncle Khasim posted:

Seconding this. VSlikes generally rely on a steady stream of upgrades to keep people interested. I didn’t unlock anything after my first two wins except the next levels, at which point I uninstalled.

Might come back to it if I am ever super bored but we’ll see, it seems to have its dedicated playerbase so I doubt the new player experience will be improved.

When was the last time you played? The game unlocks things constantly, new skills, new weapons. On your first games you should be unlocking new things constantly from time played in a stage, levels gained with a character and things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
where does Ame rate on the power chart of holocure characters? I've been using her exclusively because I like bubba, but she does seem like she has some flaws(which can be fixed with certain upgrades, of course), like her fire rate is dogshit even maxed out, but if you can get and fully max out the attack speed sticker, she basically machine guns everything at the rate she usually does during her super. bubba is a godsend in early game and for picking up loose xp, and obviously her crit/damage buff uniques are very nice, as is the 1-hit-kill effect from her maxed unique skill.

I've reached Grassy Plains(Night) and yep, gonna have to grind before I can take that on it looks like, just got steamrolled within five minutes of trying that one. I hadn't been upgrading Ame herself until a run or two ago, because I didn't realize(the game could REALLY use at least a rudimentary tutorial for some stuff) that using the gacha buffed the characters' base level so that you start runs with extra skills instead of having to buy them. and the gacha REALLY wants me to play Ina, I think I rolled seven Ina's in a row.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ame is pretty good for the scaling damage to boss kill and free aoe. She's not the shootingest and doesn't get any super defenses though and until you grind out full power it really matters that you can survive chip damage.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Grinding the gacha will only get you about a third of the bar required to unlock her full fandom boosts, since the XP it awards caps out at 20 duplicates (the same cap as the duplicate boosts). Completing stages also fill out the bar, so you've probably gotten a bunch of progress already through those if you're at the Night stages.

Additionally, you get a Tear for every duplicate character you get, and can spend 7 of them on any character to unlock them, which also counts as a duplicate for the fandom and gacha bonuses if you use them on a character you already have. (The outfit alternate appearances that cost 15 Tears are different, but I don't know if that means they don't count for the fandom XP and duplicate bonuses or not.)

As for Ame herself, I didn't play her at all until I'd basically unlocked everything non-fandom, so I can't speak to her being noticeably weak or strong since a character's rough spots can be smoothed over with certain items or upgrades. I did have pretty good results forcing crit builds and hardly struggled at all while I worked on maxing out her fandom bonus, though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Is there a game with really cool powers (chain lightning a++++++++), preferably combining in interesting ways, good hard numbers display and no dodge mechanic

basically looking for death must die except without the part where i have to jump out of the red circle every two seconds or toggle off my attacks

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tonfa posted:

Is there a game with really cool powers (chain lightning a++++++++), preferably combining in interesting ways, good hard numbers display and no dodge mechanic

basically looking for death must die except without the part where i have to jump out of the red circle every two seconds or toggle off my attacks

Halls of Torment!

It's really slow to start but ramps up once you start unlocking more classes: basically Diablo 1 as a bullet heaven.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Halls of Torment is great. There is even a chain lightning-style weapon, one of the classes gets it. Weapons have multiple upgrade paths too.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cheers mates, seems nice and crunchy. Only initial gripe I have there seems to be no way to check your stats while selecting an upgrade but that's hardly the end of the world. Very satisfying splatting otherwise. :cheerdoge:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Would anyone recommend this on Switch? Does it have coop there? Can you play 2 players with just 2 joy-cons?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

zokie posted:

Would anyone recommend this on Switch? Does it have coop there? Can you play 2 players with just 2 joy-cons?

I haven't played it on the Switch, but they announced co-op for every platform by announcing the game was coming to the Switch, and it had co-op. I'd assume you could do it with just 2 joy-cons. Again, I haven't played it myself so don't just take my assumption as fact.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yes the switch version lets you play with a single joycon. The game barely uses any buttons anyway.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man, the Soulstone Survivors update is overwhelming and kind of catnip for me. After 100%ing Brotato I wanted something to sink my teeth into and it seems like a good time wasters.

Death Must Die gets a lot of Hades comparisons - is it auto attacking? I should probably just reinstall Rogue Genesia and see how it's been going instead of buying another survivor like....

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Auto-attacking in DMD slows you down, though you can set it as a toggle.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The dev behind Pixel Survivors is taking another crack at things with: Fight To The Death

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2620200/Fight_To_The_Death/

quote:

Fight and survive in an arena filled with monsters from many different civilizations. Receive power from the gods and use each character's unique fighting style to survive.

The gods, timeless entities wielding immeasurable might, have observed with growing dismay the unyielding devastation wrought by humanity upon the natural world. In a decisive response, they unveil a formidable ultimatum: a ruthless, unforgiving arena where the fate of humanity hangs in the balance. Here, humans must engage in a desperate struggle for survival, battling against overwhelming odds, or succumb to the looming shadow of extinction. This arena is not just a test of strength and endurance; it's a crucible where the very essence of human resilience and ingenuity is put to the ultimate test.

Features
Auto-firing weapons and skill
Lots of characters ready to play
Receive stat upgrades when leveling up
Fight and resist hundreds of thousands of monsters
Pick up exp stones to level up and use them to buy equipment in the store
Even if you lose, you always get something; the power stones will help you become stronger.
Fighting style is decided by the player, with no limitations on weapon selection or skills

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Couldn't create a more generic list of features if they tried.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I'm late to the party, but Picayune Dreams is cool and good

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

Couldn't create a more generic list of features if they tried.

We've hit the saturation point where VS clones are a dime a dozen and maybe differentiate themselves a little bit by art style, just like StS clones a couple years back. Now, designers need to actually think of ways to differentiate their games from the pack, and a lot of them just aren't creative enough for that.

The most important part of any artistic undertaking to be released for public view is the artist (or game designer in this case) asking themselves, "Why should my audience spend time with my work instead of anything else?"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh I'd give a lot more of these games a try if they weren't just dumped into this thread without even a screencap

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So what is the current hotness for Survivor-likes?

Also I am trying to unlock Lama in VS and I may just suck but it sure feels like 10% curse does not F around

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 2, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My top 3 are still halls of torment, rogue genesia, and death must die

but that one bio one where you program your weapons still looks really neat

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also I am trying to unlock Lama in VS and I may just suck but it sure feels like 10% curse does not F around

Holocure, VS, and Halls of Torment. Death must Die is good, but not as good as those 3 I would say.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tonfa posted:

Spell Disk? It's more like a real-time STS than a vampire like, but the main conceit sounds like exactly what you're asking for. You mix and match from whatever powers the RNG gives you as you beat each floor. In addition to your basic attack and a single triggerable spell, all other powers/spells are triggered by spell disks. For example, you can get a spell that does lightning damage and then a spell disk that triggers off lightning damage done which casts a fire spell and then another spell disk that triggers off fire damage done that casts another lightning spell... Usually the stars don't line up that perfectly and sometimes you get a terrible set of powers though.

Captain Invictus posted:

where does Ame rate on the power chart of holocure characters? I've been using her exclusively because I like bubba, but she does seem like she has some flaws(which can be fixed with certain upgrades, of course), like her fire rate is dogshit even maxed out, but if you can get and fully max out the attack speed sticker, she basically machine guns everything at the rate she usually does during her super. bubba is a godsend in early game and for picking up loose xp, and obviously her crit/damage buff uniques are very nice, as is the 1-hit-kill effect from her maxed unique skill.

I've reached Grassy Plains(Night) and yep, gonna have to grind before I can take that on it looks like, just got steamrolled within five minutes of trying that one. I hadn't been upgrading Ame herself until a run or two ago, because I didn't realize(the game could REALLY use at least a rudimentary tutorial for some stuff) that using the gacha buffed the characters' base level so that you start runs with extra skills instead of having to buy them. and the gacha REALLY wants me to play Ina, I think I rolled seven Ina's in a row.
Her FPS mastery skill that gives +60% damage and faster attack speed is twice as good as similar item options. So that's pretty great. However, none of her skills really provide much synergy (beyond incredible amounts of damage) with items. So she's good for letting you pick any item/weapon set you want.

Her Crit boost skill probably helps with crit-centric builds, but there are other characters, like Hakos Baelz, who give even more +crit if that's what you're looking for.

There are a lot of wacky overpowered characters in HoloCure, but I've managed to get myself killed with all of them so I wouldn't worry too much about power tiers. Some characters, like Ceres, have a particular gimmick or collab or item that they need to be effective, so Amelia's flexibility is a big advantage.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 2, 2024

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Yeah, Holocure is very much so the sort of game where, even if some characters are notably stronger than others, none of them are outright bad. As long as you understand what you're doing, you should be able to clear every stage with everyone.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Picayune Dreams

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm still playing actual vampire survivors especially with the new dlc which is hitting me in the right spot

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I know Rogue Genesia was hot stuff in this thread a while back, but everyone was playing the beta test version that changed every day. Did it ever end up getting a finalized patch out of all that? I had only tried the 'release' version.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Spellbound Survivors just apparently came out of nowhere with an outright release:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2602450/Spellbound_Survivors/

quote:

Welcome to the mesmerizing world of Spellbound Survivors, a single-player action-roguelike game! Embark on an epic adventure, conquer maps, acquire mighty powers, and gear up for an ultimate showdown with the formidable Overlord Wizard. Your destiny unfolds in this captivating journey!

Immerse yourself deeply in a pixelated realm where each map unfolds before your eyes as pages of an epic tale, facing off against the formidable Overlord Wizard, who commands vast hordes of soul reapers.

With every map you conquer, unlock a treasure trove of new abilities and powers, enabling you to unleash devastating attacks. As you continue to grow in strength and skill, transform into an indomitable force of nature, capable of bending the very elements to your will.

Gameplay Tips

1. Collect experience and items; they serve as your strategic cards.
2. Strengthen and level up your weapons for increased effectiveness.
3. Customize weapons through diverse upgrade paths for tactical advantage.
4. Upgrade and refund power-ups to optimize your combat strategy.
5. Experience thrilling animated super attacks that deliver goosebumps in the heat of battle.

The excitement doesn't end there!

Spellbound Survivors promises more than just thrilling battles; it represents a system called the Legend Bar meter, a decisive factor in overcoming the Overlord Wizard. Choose your moves wisely, fill the meter strategically, and ascend as the ultimate survivor in the magical realms.

Are you ready to turn the pages of destiny?

The time has come to answer its call and embrace the spellbinding battle that awaits!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spell disk also has an explicitly survivors-like mode

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Tangents posted:

I know Rogue Genesia was hot stuff in this thread a while back, but everyone was playing the beta test version that changed every day. Did it ever end up getting a finalized patch out of all that? I had only tried the 'release' version.

It's still early access with planned features that aren't available, but the update schedule has slowed down immensely. A big update will come out every 2-3 months and then a flurry of bug fixes for a couple weeks before it dies down again.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm bummed some of the B tier games in the genre kinda got abandoned, Return to Abyss was pretty fun to go supernova in, but it hasn't been updated in months

Then there's the other side, where they are still getting updates, but I don't vibe with them (Soulstone Survivors, Time Wasters, Scarlet Tower et al)

I'm still waiting for a very good 90s japanese shmup style game, like Gradius or Dodonpachi - there's been a fair number of space shooter survivors, but they've varied from mid to garbo

The other one is where's the A/AA games in this space. I guess Army of Ruin might count.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Tangents posted:

Its got a good amount of content so far, definitely more than earlier last year. Easily my 2nd most played behind vs

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
picayune dreams is really cool, bought it after seeing it mentioned here over and over

love the UI aesthetic so much

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Renfield is underrated, but it has the same "it is taking forever to get unlocks" issue as Picayune Dreams, but with a cute classic tie-in video game aesthetic and the therapy x Dracula theming instead of being weird as gently caress.

Worth a look, but not the top "weird side Survivor," let alone a Main Event like VS or Holocure.

Edit: Also the movie was fun. It has Nic Cage as Dracula!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

victrix posted:

I'm still waiting for a very good 90s japanese shmup style game, like Gradius or Dodonpachi - there's been a fair number of space shooter survivors, but they've varied from mid to garbo

Part of the appeal of shmups is the fixed-direction scrolling, limited firing directions, and the deliberately-designed environmental hazards and enemy spawns. Monster Mulchers simply aren't shmups since you have full control over how the playfield moves. Auto-scrolling arena shooters have never been much of a thing (probably for good reason), but maybe some clever JP indie devs will come along and surprise me someday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

20 minutes till dawn is free on EGS today and I totally dig it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think we should get more surivors-style games on the switch.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Part of the appeal of shmups is the fixed-direction scrolling, limited firing directions, and the deliberately-designed environmental hazards and enemy spawns. Monster Mulchers simply aren't shmups since you have full control over how the playfield moves. Auto-scrolling arena shooters have never been much of a thing (probably for good reason), but maybe some clever JP indie devs will come along and surprise me someday.

Have you tried Gunlocked?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I picked up Renfield after giving the movie a watch (marketing works!) and I'm enjoying it so far..Was kicking my rear end until I looked at the options and saw that you can enable aiming independent from movement..Makes things a lot easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
In Death Must Die, is gear the only progression system and do perks stack or do you only pick one when you choose your character at the campfire?