Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a better way on Quetza Temer than wandering at random?

I eventually paused the game and started playing the Ocarina of Time Lost Woods music because I had "double exits" appearing at each exit point, meaning that getting back to the village was an absolute loving crapshoot of probability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

At least Argenta is one of the Adepta Sororitas so she's supposed to be a bad rear end. Abelard is just some old dude. I guess it is pretty anime that combat starts and then he flings himself forward swinging a sword and then with extra turn abuse everyone just kinda explodes. Then he goes back to being an old dude.

I don't recall any extraordinary guns in act 1 except the longlas. If you grind up the rep for the heavy bolter you don't need anything else for Argenta really except whatever you want to be the other gun rotating in and out (I use something flaming).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Question about Hunting Grounds
I told Winterscale he shouldn't kill the Eldar and was given three ways to convince him - Coercion, Commerce and Persuade. I passed each check in turn. But this didn't seem to actually change anything and he still wanted to fight them when I returned to the main conversation trunk.

I just ran into this. Either I failed some previous decision, or it's friggen bugged. IDK

edit: also, calligos definitely has a chick's voice when he attacks lol

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 31, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't recall any extraordinary guns in act 1 except the longlas. If you grind up the rep for the heavy bolter you don't need anything else for Argenta really except whatever you want to be the other gun rotating in and out (I use something flaming).

A big sword is a surprisingly solid choice for the 2nd weapon slot. You can smack people with it to build Versatility stacks in between bolter Bursts, and switch to it before ending her turn so anyone trying to melee attack her gets parried (versatility stacks mean she has insane WS).

The Rebel's Sniper Rifle is the standout gun of Act 1 (found riiiight at the end) that will see use for quite a while into Act 2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Argenta is better as sniper in act 1 and the start of act 2.

I'm loving her swapping between heavy flamer and heavy bolter, but the animation for the flame sweep constantly aims in the wrong direction.

Through sheer luck I managed to get a handle on Yrliet doing major damage, and I also got the upgarded plasma rifle from Kiava Gamma so with the plasma refund talent Pasqal gets 10+ plasma shots off before the enemies even get a turn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Let us not dawdle.

Rise to the top or get left in the dust.

Always keep your eye on the prize.

I always have a backup plan.

Let us not dawdle.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

The Lone Badger posted:

Question about Hunting Grounds
I told Winterscale he shouldn't kill the Eldar and was given three ways to convince him - Coercion, Commerce and Persuade. I passed each check in turn. But this didn't seem to actually change anything and he still wanted to fight them when I returned to the main conversation trunk.

I asked about this in Owlcat discord weeks ago and apparently it's a bug. Sucks they still have not fixed it, that's the bug that made take a break from playing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Turbogenta doesn't kick in until Act 2 anyway. Before that she's best off toting a longlas.
Transition into Heavy Stubber once she gets the essential traits from Arch-Militant.

You know what I really want? The M34 Autocannon.

"No! You can't have the autocannon!" - every Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy GM

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

"No! You can't have the autocannon!" - every Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy GM

Well that's even more fascist than the Imperium itself IMO.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Every live play Rogue Trader playthrough I've ever seen has had five immutable constants:

1. Warp travel is always a nightmare and somehow it gets worse if you have a PC navigator.

2. 30% of the play is trying to look stuff up in one of the 17 books no matter how long they've been playing the ruleset.

3. The PC explorator inevitably breaks game balance over his knee and spends the last 40% of the campaign openly laughing at the GM trying to make skill checks they can't pass. Usually they will also have more armor than a Leman Russ

4. Inferno pistols and melta guns rule everything around me.

5. If there's a pc astropath the party is going to have a bad time.

I've officially benched Heinrich for Ulfar. Sorry, buddy, but vibes matter.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 31, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

Well that's even more fascist than the Imperium itself IMO.

The problem in general is that Rogue Trader really ought to split up gear into "walking around" kit and "heading for a fight" kit. When it's time to show some heathens who's boss it is all very well and good for your incredibly wealthy PCs to get into their power armor, for the explorator to put a twin linked autocannon on his shoulder mount, hell bring an infantry company in rhinos and some air support. The last really big fight my PCs had didn't involve much fighting because they decided to send in the troops and nerve gas enemy resistance points.

But it's less well and good when for example they're supposed to solve a mystery on board the ship, or get surprised by a warp incursion, or end up at a banquet with the governor of Damaris, and they also expect to have their autocannon and power armor.

With regard to the autocannon specifically though it gets broken insanely fast if you let the explorator have access to upgrades available in some of the splat books.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 31, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how feasible this is but it would be nice to have choices for cosmetic outfits regardless of your career path. Even if it's unlocked after your coronation or something some of the rogue trader outfits look kind of silly.

The only character in my entire party whose appearance radically changed outside of weapons is Jae, who I somehow accidentally made look like a commissar and just kept it because it was funny to me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was really hoping we could put a lascannon on Pasqal but it seems like the Multimelta is the heaviest energy weapon we've got........... smh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And its too drat weak!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Just give him the ancient plasma gun that is currently bugged to add 2*Intelligence damage.

Even without bugs 2*int mod extra damage is real good.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone getting lag/slowdowns seemingly at random? The game ran fine for the first three acts (and before the latest patch), but now I'll get long periods of lag just from leveling up, going through the inventory and combat, and I'm really not sure what the fix is.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Lone Badger posted:

A big sword is a surprisingly solid choice for the 2nd weapon slot. You can smack people with it to build Versatility stacks in between bolter Bursts, and switch to it before ending her turn so anyone trying to melee attack her gets parried (versatility stacks mean she has insane WS).

The Rebel's Sniper Rifle is the standout gun of Act 1 (found riiiight at the end) that will see use for quite a while into Act 2.

that sniper rifle is so good i suspect Warp influence
no wonder that dude is one-shotting your people, his gun is twice as good as every other gun on the planet

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Everyone’s pissed at my pet robot dinosaur I took home from the forge world. He’s really nice once you get to know him!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

And its too drat weak!

Multimelta ought be an instant kill for everything leas than a boss. Balance be damned.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I'm wondering if I've built my team wrong. I'm so psyched to get further in this game the level ups have become a weird chore for how many I've had with how little I've experienced the combat and as a consequence I'm starting to feel anemic in story fights. I'm in act 2 having just gotten to your capital planet and in fights enemies are getting very spongy but my damage from attacks is capped out at like... 40? 50? I did that fight with the forge fiend and only finished with two members standing. Same thing with the Maid of Honor fight. Abelard hits like a wet noodle but does a great job taking, but even Argenta is starting to lose her unstoppable kill frenzy. Am I just waiting to gear up or am I fundamentally in need of a respec?

Also i just did a brutal battle against reinforcing drukhari ships in Odaenathus XI which seemed ridiculous until I upgraded myself with the most basic poo poo you can get from the Navy because trophies don't go to your cargo? I'm looking at getting more ship upgrades and the like but it took most of what I had to get to rep 1 with the Navy to begin with. What's a good way to upgrade your ship for space combat?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Syrnn posted:

I'm wondering if I've built my team wrong. I'm so psyched to get further in this game the level ups have become a weird chore for how many I've had with how little I've experienced the combat and as a consequence I'm starting to feel anemic in story fights. I'm in act 2 having just gotten to your capital planet and in fights enemies are getting very spongy but my damage from attacks is capped out at like... 40? 50? I did that fight with the forge fiend and only finished with two members standing. Same thing with the Maid of Honor fight. Abelard hits like a wet noodle but does a great job taking, but even Argenta is starting to lose her unstoppable kill frenzy. Am I just waiting to gear up or am I fundamentally in need of a respec?

Also i just did a brutal battle against reinforcing drukhari ships in Odaenathus XI which seemed ridiculous until I upgraded myself with the most basic poo poo you can get from the Navy because trophies don't go to your cargo? I'm looking at getting more ship upgrades and the like but it took most of what I had to get to rep 1 with the Navy to begin with. What's a good way to upgrade your ship for space combat?

It's mostly waiting for the core archetype abilities to come online. Your damage is somewhat improved by better equipment but not nearly as much as when you start stacking debuffs and buffs plus the special archetype features, versatility, lethality, exploits, Prey, etc.

Ship trophies have to be manually sent to cargo, it's in your inventory.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

So long as you have officers alive and feeding other people turns, Cass can solo the game herself. No need for equipment. You just need the navigator talent that gives +5 willpower every time someone gets a free turn. Navigator talents that pile on damage or debuffs when Cass does things are nice too, but the infinite scaling from the free turn talent will eventually see her dishing out three digit damage nukes that only cost 1 ap and can be used multiple times a turn, plus more with officers feeding her bonus turns (which also keep scaling her). This is doable in Act I.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Syrnn posted:

This link might be helpful for you if you’re struggling with companions and builds: Werglia companion guide.

Also worth checking out anything by cRPG Bro as he has lots of good build guides too.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Eifert Posting posted:

Every live play Rogue Trader playthrough I've ever seen has had five immutable constants:

1. Warp travel is always a nightmare and somehow it gets worse if you have a PC navigator.

2. 30% of the play is trying to look stuff up in one of the 17 books no matter how long they've been playing the ruleset.

3. The PC explorator inevitably breaks game balance over his knee and spends the last 40% of the campaign openly laughing at the GM trying to make skill checks they can't pass. Usually they will also have more armor than a Leman Russ

4. Inferno pistols and melta guns rule everything around me.

5. If there's a pc astropath the party is going to have a bad time.

:hmmyes:

i would also argue that there is a sixth constant:
when in doubt, lance shot.

don't like what you see? lance shot.

negotiations going poorly with a planet? lance shot.

you just don't want to spend the time and effort to handle a problem?

lance

shot

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Did they change the base strength of argenta in a patch or something? I haven't played since last monday but today, loaded it up and played a little bit, got into a fight and she'd unequipped her heavy bolter I bought last time I played and had definitely used on her. Can't equip it anymore because she's under the requirement even with the perk.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

you have to wait until the final chapter of the game to finally get a bolter that fires like how you would imagine a bolter would, complete with explosions

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

thebardyspoon posted:

Did they change the base strength of argenta in a patch or something? I haven't played since last monday but today, loaded it up and played a little bit, got into a fight and she'd unequipped her heavy bolter I bought last time I played and had definitely used on her. Can't equip it anymore because she's under the requirement even with the perk.

There is gear that boosts strength. You probably switched out her gloves on accident

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

The perk that increases her strength for heavy weapons seems to be bugged. She doesn't use strength for anything else so I just toy boxed it

Edit: Awwww I completed Pascal's side quest and He's so bummed now. Listen buddy, You can still be the sassy little rear end in a top hat I fell in love with. I believe in you.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 1, 2024

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

babypolis posted:

shes interesting because its pretty clear her adherence to dogma is the only thing keeping her together. in general they did a really good job of making you care about all these objectively awful people, props to owlcat theyve come pretty far in the writing department since the kingmaker days

As a heretic I didnt, I see all my party members as basically peons to help me ascend

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In my Heretic run I only have like 3 party members who.I consider actual friends; Abelard, Pasqal, and Cassia

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hubbert posted:

:hmmyes:

i would also argue that there is a sixth constant:
when in doubt, lance shot.

don't like what you see? lance shot.

negotiations going poorly with a planet? lance shot.

you just don't want to spend the time and effort to handle a problem?

lance

shot

Something at the landing site looks chaos-y? Lance strike.
Psycher losing his poo poo? Lance strike.
Administratum clerk not giving you what you need? Lance strike.
Workers try to negotiate better pay? You guessed it, lance strike.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was that one planet where Abelard flubbed his introduction. You know, the one we don't talk about. The one that looks like a golf ball from all the lance craters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Finished off Act 2.

The game could not telegraph something bad happening any harder then you suddenly not being able to buy anything from the reputation merchants. There's at most 3 quests for you, two of them say "wait and see" and the third is just "go to this brand new location."

Also, the contract for Void Beacons, which is insanely cheap for a massive benefit, is there any other way to unlock it other then succeeding that coercion check when trying to talk to Abelard's great granddaughter? It's 3 promethium, which is fairly abundant, and 1 people, same, for

quote:

Security for all colonies +3

Efficiency for all colonies +3

Profit Factor +3

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't recall seeing that one. It wouldn't surprise me if they coded some makeup stuff in for heretic/dirtbag players because a lot of those options decreased security.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Well, I have joined the 10% of players who have made it past A3 (which I didn’t find nearly as bad as others - at least it had an actual story to tell), and folks weren’t kidding about A4 being shaky. Even in its relatively more polished state I started getting a bunch of minor bugs and cutscene issues (including events getting mixed up and overlapping, menu bugs, etc.)

I succeeded in breaking the combat over my knee back in A2 with the usual officer/arch-militant hijinks (I made my RT a copy of Argenta, so between those two and Cassia, no xenos scum or heretic stands a chance). I’ve kind of just lapsed into resolving encounters with Toybox, though, as the combat gets pretty samey toward the end of the game.

I want to see how it ends up but I think I’m going to come out of this with the same basic overall review - this feels like a good first draft of what an excellent 40K RPG can be, but I’m kind of more interested in what the next, more refined, game in the line is going to look like (if Owlcat gets to make one).

Also Ulfar is really disappointing. I get that putting an Astartes in this game is kind of a challenge but I don’t really think they hit it, here.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've actually benched Argenta temporarily for Idira. Once you get the gloves from her personal quest she can scale incredibly quickly and wipe out hordes of enemies just as easily as Argenta with her AOE scream without having to worry about armor.

She isn't on Cassia's level of OP but she can outscale her in damage at least. Yrliet has also turned out to be an absolute beast, shes the only thing getting me through certain encounters.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 1, 2024

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got a very funny graphical glitch where a crowd of people waving their arms all had weird elongated black plastic appendages wiggling above them.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

I got a very funny graphical glitch where a crowd of people waving their arms all had weird elongated black plastic appendages wiggling above them.

Lol, yup, got that one, too, after clearing Abelard’s family in A4. The entire aftermath cutscene was broken.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Chaos corruption is not a laughing matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I gave Argenta a big fuckass hammer as her secondary weapon. It can be a little awkward but she isn't gonna get crowded by melee chaff that's for drat sure.
(My Argenta is my best damage dealer but not 'kill everybody T1' strong).