Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Selia dudes are ghost burger kings. Not sure if it was the shattering dust up itself or the rot nuke that took it out.

Fire giant can be rotted and bled to death too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

Selia dudes are ghost burger kings. Not sure if it was the shattering dust up itself or the rot nuke that took it out.

Fire giant can be rotted and bled to death too.

But we see ghosts and they tend to be stationary in places with good views. Also, no one gives a crap about them as opposed to Those Who Live In Death.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Fire Giant P2 has a lot of trouble damage racing a bunch of estus sips and mag dumping barrage into him with a good upgraded bow. If you can free aim a long range spell then same idea. Huge telegraphed attack, doesn't hit that hard if you beef it. Better than fighting the duo boss of Fire Giant and The Camera and trying to hit the eye with melee!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poor fire giant, hurt their ankle sledding then some jerkbag shows up to pick a fight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fire giant is comically weak to bleed, much like almost every other boss in the game, and having a backup bleed infused weapon for that specific purpose is very helpful. just get something fast and cheap stat-wise like the uchigatana so you can run out of his fire field when necessary

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Did they ever fix that funny bug where if you proc bleed at the end of phase 1 it skips phase 2 entirely?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Vermain posted:

fire giant is comically weak to bleed, much like almost every other boss in the game, and having a backup bleed infused weapon for that specific purpose is very helpful. just get something fast and cheap stat-wise like the uchigatana so you can run out of his fire field when necessary

Flamberge with frostbite infusion then hit them with catch flame or a fireball or something to reset the frost after it procs.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Glad I could catch up on this thread and learn about all the ways I’ve played FromSoft games incorrectly. Remember folks, you don’t need to min-max stats for optimal single-hit damage, you can instead just play Whatever Is Fun.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Re: fire giant phase 2.
I just untargeted him and hit him in the gooch with a giant brick. Seemed easy enough.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

ElehemEare posted:

Glad I could catch up on this thread and learn about all the ways I’ve played FromSoft games incorrectly. Remember folks, you don’t need to min-max stats for optimal single-hit damage, you can instead just play Whatever Is Fun.

Not entirely true. I have a bad habit of trying to have access to all-the-things on a first run and end up being a jack of all trades master of none build. It forces me to learn enemy weaknesses just to manage and some of the later bosses can be absolutely miserable to fight.

Having a major/minor (not min-max) in stats seems to be the way to go.

That said, if anyone still hasn't played with the sword of night and flame I totally suggest trying it out sometime. Its triple damage type might hit 3 defenses but in many cases enemies will be weak to one of them and make up for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I would like to know how to gently caress a game as hard as it tries to gently caress me. If that means making a specific build then so be it. So much stuff hits so loving hard.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

War Wizard posted:

Not entirely true. I have a bad habit of trying to have access to all-the-things on a first run and end up being a jack of all trades master of none build. It forces me to learn enemy weaknesses just to manage and some of the later bosses can be absolutely miserable to fight.

Having a major/minor (not min-max) in stats seems to be the way to go.

That said, if anyone still hasn't played with the sword of night and flame I totally suggest trying it out sometime. Its triple damage type might hit 3 defenses but in many cases enemies will be weak to one of them and make up for it.

if you are building for the sword of night and flame, you may as well also fully cap out the golden order seal and the prince of death's staff and go for a very potent omnicaster. it's what I did for three playthroughs, and it's actually quite effective. ancient death rancor may not be the spirit bomb that people are quite fond of, but it basically doesn't miss and does a ton of work.

I used deaths poker instead of the sword of night and flame in the end, but the sword is not bad.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The issue I had was doing it as a first run on the release date before even knowing about death magic and also being confused by all the mismatched stat requirements of it. Also a lot of those spells weren't good until they got buffed much later. I've been meaning to give it another go, mainly because I really want to try out the death poker.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

sure, I mean, my experiences were at launch as a first character but I am nothing if not foolishly persistent.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Is a build bad if it sucks and dies a lot but you have fun playing it? My John Sekiro Uchi+Wazikashi Fastroll build is objectively bad, but I’m having a lot of fun trying to tackle every single minor dungeon. :shrug:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

if it's fun, do it

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

ElehemEare posted:

Is a build bad if it sucks and dies a lot but you have fun playing it? My John Sekiro Uchi+Wazikashi Fastroll build is objectively bad, but I’m having a lot of fun trying to tackle every single minor dungeon. :shrug:

Fast-roll is automatically good. I've only had one build (using daggers) that could do it, but I was blown away by how powerful it is. A lot of enemies have roll catching moves and fast-roll lets you ignore them and just keep rolling. My only suggestion is to eat crab/prawn to make up for a lack of armor.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I just got cocky item farming and got dumpstered by a knight I could usually three-hit, losing almost 20k runes in the process.

Elden Ring is truly the mirror to my clown of a self.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
losing runes ftw

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FROM games have this funny thing that you get too confident and the enemy you've killed a hundred times will gently caress you up because you got distracted by whatever like a phone notification losing progress/souls/anything in the process or even a quick return to a boss fight.

I always get pissed but then I have to smile because Miyazaki did what John Romero couldn't in 2000.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Guillermus posted:

FROM games have this funny thing that you get too confident and the enemy you've killed a hundred times will gently caress you up because you got distracted by whatever like a phone notification losing progress/souls/anything in the process or even a quick return to a boss fight.

I always get pissed but then I have to smile because Miyazaki did what John Romero couldn't in 2000.

That and poison swamps.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I still don't know if bosses are actually programmed to get more aggressive when they're down to a sliver of health or if it just feels that way because that's when they most commonly kill me

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

2house2fly posted:

I still don't know if bosses are actually programmed to get more aggressive when they're down to a sliver of health or if it just feels that way because that's when they most commonly kill me

It's probably you (and me, it happens to everyone) subconsciously relaxing because you feel like you've got it "in the bag".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Many bosses in Elden Ring do get access to new attack patterns and AI routines at certain health thresholds (even if they don't outright have a visible phase 2 or 3) but it's usually more like 70% / 50% / 30% than the last sliver.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Many bosses in Elden Ring do get access to new attack patterns and AI routines at certain health thresholds (even if they don't outright have a visible phase 2 or 3) but it's usually more like 70% / 50% / 30% than the last sliver.

Elden-Ring-But-Every-Enemy-Gets-Waterfowl-Dance-At-10%-HP.mp4

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ElehemEare posted:

Give rune bears the duck dance.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

ElehemEare posted:

Monstrouscrow Dance.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They should make the big crows black and white and simply call them Australian magpies. Every single one should get a boss bar at the bottom. Additionally, they can't be killed, and will chase you through graces and map regions. (more accurate).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Speaking of crows, does anyone here ever bother going into melee with the bloody crows? That is one enemy that over multiple playthroughs I just cannot get a feel for. They scare me and they hurt a lot. I'd rather fight a laser beam golem inside a phone booth.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Crows fake being stunned, mimicking the sound effect even, but it took me so long to encounter that because they're terrifying and I'd rather just avoid them.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Node posted:

Speaking of crows, does anyone here ever bother going into melee with the bloody crows? That is one enemy that over multiple playthroughs I just cannot get a feel for. They scare me and they hurt a lot. I'd rather fight a laser beam golem inside a phone booth.

if by "melee" you mean "point blank use of poker weapon arts", yes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have to say the flying enemies in this game suck so much rear end and those banshee poison bat fuckers are probably the worst enemy in the game I've encountered so far.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

doomfunk posted:

if you are building for the sword of night and flame, you may as well also fully cap out the golden order seal and the prince of death's staff and go for a very potent omnicaster. it's what I did for three playthroughs, and it's actually quite effective. ancient death rancor may not be the spirit bomb that people are quite fond of, but it basically doesn't miss and does a ton of work.

Can confirm this is a very fun build and a chance to try out spells you'd ordinarily never use. I power stanced it with St Trina's, another weapon I hadn't used, because the straight sword power stance moveset is very good.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Crows aren't too bad when you're fully set up and happen to be a great shield user(Blood Palace) but otherwise are begging for a humbling death in the first half of the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh wait, you don't send your sign to summoning pools across the whole map? just the general area, so my sign can't be at halligtree/ash leyendell/farum azula all at once? I am going to go right back to ignoring this mechanic

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

oh wait, you don't send your sign to summoning pools across the whole map? just the general area, so my sign can't be at halligtree/ash leyendell/farum azula all at once? I am going to go right back to ignoring this mechanic

Uh, what? Where are you getting that? Just select "Near and Far" and it'll be sent to every summoning pool you've activated.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Game-wide automatic co-op signs is the best thing they've introduced. Imagine if covenants come back, there'd be 30 sunbros piling through every noob who just needs a little boost's summon sign, each instance being one that invaders use as well

Paracelsus posted:

Can confirm this is a very fun build and a chance to try out spells you'd ordinarily never use. I power stanced it with St Trina's, another weapon I hadn't used, because the straight sword power stance moveset is very good.

Honestly it'd probably be worth it just to have a Discus of Light that is not only taking levels from other areas like in a faith build, but also being casted with its damage boosting seal. Between that and healing spells/warming stones you'd almost never run out of anything

Picking the best of both worlds spell-wise is just a bonus

Like any quality build though it seems pretty stat hungry to get anywhere near the power level endgame of a character that is focusing on one or the other. There's so many bullshit OP incants tho that I wonder if 10-20% damage less would even make a difference.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I tag every single summoning sign I pass, also random dungeons that I don’t explore because playing boss roulette is fun. I still get summoned to stuff in Limgrave when I’m in Caelid and Altus.

Helping newbies kill the tree knight and dragon at the start is kinda heartwarming :3:

ElehemEare posted:

Absolutely play whatever is fun, just don’t get mad if a strat you looked up on Reddit doesn’t work

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

War Wizard posted:

Uh, what? Where are you getting that? Just select "Near and Far" and it'll be sent to every summoning pool you've activated.
that makes more sense, also never trust redditors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm a big advocate of the "do whatever is fun and don't worry about min/max, but always keep a 'BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF DRAGON' OP option ready to go" approach for dragons or anything I find annoying to fight and just want dead. Usually the Envoy's Long Horn because most builds would require me to change talismen or physik tears to use it which is enough of a hurdle that I'm never tempted.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I tag every single summoning sign I pass, also random dungeons that I don’t explore because playing boss roulette is fun. I still get summoned to stuff in Limgrave when I’m in Caelid and Altus.

Helping newbies kill the tree knight and dragon at the start is kinda heartwarming :3:

Absolutely play whatever is fun, just don’t get mad if a strat you looked up on Reddit doesn’t work

My personal favorite is Castle Morne, which you get to really show them every nook and cranny before the boss fight with way fewer and way more fun invasions than Stormveil gets. I like co-op as pure faith guy because it's an excuse to show off all the cool poo poo incant users get. Crucible Horn into charged Tail, followed up with Flame of Frenzy/dragon roar OR a bunch of blue rocks