Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I happened to go to the Refugee camp only after having 2 merc squads. So it was not too bad, but the fight vs 20 elite stacks afterwards and reconquering everything was quite bad. I managed to do it on commando though and I think the fights the event provided were the best so far in JA3. Not bullshit at all after you recalibrated to the reality that enemy units are pro soldiers and not some 3rd world ghetto gangsters.

My teams have 2 snipers, 1-2 melee/shotgun guys, 1 hwg with mg’s and explosives, and 1-2 assault rifle guys. Full sniping is too boring.

Try some smoke nades between you and the enemy? Sneaking melee guys to gut the marksmen? Something?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Shout-out to A House of Many Doors, a six year old Sunless-Sea-like that just got a 2.0 update.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Twobirds posted:

Shout-out to A House of Many Doors, a six year old Sunless-Sea-like that just got a 2.0 update.

Oh drat, awesome, I quite liked that game IIRC.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Twobirds posted:

Holy poo poo yes I love this game

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sweet, I remember getting that game at the thread's suggestion and then never playing it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I have absolutely no idea of how I found out about it, whether it was here, reddit or some random youtube comment section, but I ended up picking up Erannorth Chronicles for a fiver during the sale, and I just can't stop playing it.

Basically, think Slay the Spire but as an open world rpg. Apart from the race/class/background of the character, everything is a card (skills, equipment, trade goods...). And then race/class/background actually give you some starting cards and affect the numbers that scale cards. You have a card stash from which you make your combat deck, a big map of the fantasy land where things take place, and off you go. It's up to you where you go, which dungeon/quest you tackle, which city you trade with, etc. Landmarks like cities tend to have a good few explorable areas (dungeons, basically), each one with a recommended level range, some enemy types and some elemental properties (buff/debuff that affect magical skills). Each explorable area is just a sequence of nodes, each being a fight (the most common ones), an event, a treasure, etc. And once you clear all the nodes, you get to pick from the dungeon rewards that you could check before entering. Kills/quests also give xp, and you regularly level up, being able to invest in stats, skills (the card families) and perks (various buffs, there are a lot of them). Ultimately, you spend most time playing the card combat, and in between, you travel the world, sometimes randomly, sometimes towards an explorable area of the range you're after, sometimes to trade (there's a small import/export economy), or purposefully to follow some of the journal quest chains which take place in specific locations. Out of combat, you can rearrange your deck as you like from your entire card stash.

There isn't a lot to it, and the presentation is very much so-so. Player and monsters are static assets without a single animation over some average background art, and the UI won't win awards either. However, both graphics and UI are perfectly functional so once you get over the poor first impression they give, it stops being an issue.

But at that point, the game opens up big time. There are so many skill lines, each one commanding a large set of action cards, from fancy swordplay or hammer bashing to fireballs, mist clouds that wet foes so you can freeze them better, shapeshifting, summon spells so that your pet boar/treeman/gorilla/orc shaman/goblin ratcatcher/imp does the fight for you, or maybe you made a deck where summons are flammable ammo. Or sneak/stab stuff, or bard singing, or trade which allows you to convince low-health monsters to drop out of the fight early while leaving you some gold/commodities... And these are just the skill cards, there's also equipment, which are cards that either passively execute every round (at their given action point cost) or are manually activated, in which case these cards will always be part of your hand each round, giving you some predictability but reducing the amount of randomly drawn cards otherwise. And everything synergises with other stuff, there are a ton of effects that buff others, it's uh, a bit overwhelming in the first game to be fair, with hundreds of cards available. Thankfully, the in-built help is actually really good, and I had made a dumb mountain dwarf with a hammer and a shield, so it wasn't too bad as a learning curve (I had dipped into trade though, which eventually made me filthy rich). Right now, I'm traveling as an elven druid who summons an army of animals and fey spirits while entangling all the foes in toxic roots. My wife rolled a demon pyromancer who summons allies so she can immolate them onto the enemies.

It's absolutely fantastic. The deck builder side is simply massive, the open world structure allows you to play at your own pace while adding a lot of flavour, and it even allows save and reload. And this is the vanilla game before the DLCs which add many more hundreds of cards, and which the author himself recommends not using until one got familiar with the base game, and even then add them one at a time.

That's my smash hit and hidden gem of the sales. Take a look at it if you like deck builders, it's a lot better than it looks like at first.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

I have absolutely no idea of how I found out about it, whether it was here, reddit or some random youtube comment section, but I ended up picking up Erannorth Chronicles for a fiver during the sale, and I just can't stop playing it.

I *love* this game. It 's bonkers. You can make any character you can think of.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Erannorth is unfortunately a casualty of the realization that the older I've gotten, the more I don't want one of these games to have wild, unbridled, infinite potential and just want them to do one, relatively small-ish thing well (see also - the collapse of any and all interest I had in wargames), but this was a good enough writeup that I've put it back on the wishlist for potentially another go at some point in the future after I've worked my way through the backlog some.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For $5 I'll certainly check it out, love StS and Gordian Quest which is a card-battler RPG as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Erannorth Chronicles and Gordian Quest are excellent.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

In any game with a character creator the main thing I do is spend ages and ages making loads of different characters. Erranorth is perfect. There are thousands of possible characters you can make I bet. I enjoy making characters from shows I'm watching and Erranorth let me make Laszlo Cravensworth, vampire musician, with no trouble at all.

mystes
May 31, 2006

HopperUK posted:

In any game with a character creator the main thing I do is spend ages and ages making loads of different characters. Erranorth is perfect. There are thousands of possible characters you can make I bet. I enjoy making characters from shows I'm watching and Erranorth let me make Laszlo Cravensworth, vampire musician, with no trouble at all.
I guess someday someone's going to make the equivalent of backpack hero but for character creation rather than inventory management

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

press f to pay respects

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1741409350864736339

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This seems unnecessary, but also those operating systems are no longer updated with security fixes from Microsoft and haven't been for quite sometime I think? So they are really unsafe to run.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

iirc the blocker is that steam is now largely built on chromium, and google has dropped support for those legacy windows versions, so valve has no choice but to follow

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

mystes posted:

I guess someday someone's going to make the equivalent of backpack hero but for character creation rather than inventory management

I'd play so much of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

repiv posted:

iirc the blocker is that steam is now largely built on chromium, and google has dropped support for those legacy windows versions, so valve has no choice but to follow

I didn't know this! That makes sense and explains why Steam runs like poo poo no matter your computer hardware!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HopperUK posted:

I'd play so much of it.

There's a board game called Roll Player that leans into this, and apparently there's a digital version on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1939940/Roll_Player__The_Board_Game/

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Azran posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Invisible Inc straight up not booting anymore? I just get a black screen, no mods or anything. It's been like this for months - I last played a couple of years ago.

I just installed Invisible Inc and it started and ran fine. Keep in mind that I'm running Win 7 until the wheels fall off so you probably have a different setup and I'm not the best test case.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

E. Revenant posted:

I just installed Invisible Inc and it started and ran fine. Keep in mind that I'm running Win 7 until the wheels fall off so you probably have a different setup and I'm not the best test case.

lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

E. Revenant posted:

Sounds like the wheels are off and the ride is coming to a stop tomorrow

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

explosivo posted:

Sounds like the wheels are off and the ride is coming to a stop tomorrow

apparently they're just going to leave steam at the current version forever for users on those old windows versions so it'll keep limping along until some backend change breaks compatibility

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

As a security professional: please for the love of god just update Windows and get off 7. I don't care how much you love the interface, it hasn't had security updates in literally years. The only people more likely to have a trojan on their computer right now are industrial PCs running XP on a CNC machine somewhere.

Just bite the bullet and jump to 11. An hour or two toggling settings and you can get it functionally identical to 7 and not have giant gaping holes in your protection.

I am literally begging you, please.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i cant update because this thing keeps rebooting my computer before i can download the new version :saddowns:

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

i cant update because this thing keeps rebooting my computer before i can download the new version :saddowns:

lol

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

repiv posted:

steam is now largely built on chromium

Checks out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the change to chromium has done more to reduce my spending during sales than anything else as the pages are so unresponsive and slow to load that it gives me time to get bored while shopping.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

repiv posted:

lol

Objective Action posted:

As a security professional: please for the love of god just update Windows and get off 7. I don't care how much you love the interface, it hasn't had security updates in literally years. The only people more likely to have a trojan on their computer right now are industrial PCs running XP on a CNC machine somewhere.

Just bite the bullet and jump to 11. An hour or two toggling settings and you can get it functionally identical to 7 and not have giant gaping holes in your protection.

I am literally begging you, please.

same

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 31, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It might not be for everyone depending on what you're interested in doing but I've been using LTSC version of Win 10 for years now and I avoid vast majority of modern windows bullshit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

look, it's impossible to render a single chat window without consuming 500MB of RAM

that technology has been lost to time

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
Linux with Proton has come pretty far (and wine/GE, in general) for Windows apps and games if you have tolerance to tinkering and troubleshooting here and there. Unless you're playing Fortnite it might be viable. I'm on W10 and trying to get out before I'm forced off of it and despite the Linux headaches I usually get trying to move operating systems, installing Debian and a bit of persistence has paid off for me this time. For now, anyway.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The hate for Windows 11 reminds me of the hate for Windows Vista, I.e. largely unwarranted and mostly driven by memes (although at least in Vista’s case, a huge number of vendors majorly dropped the ball on driver support). I updated a long time ago and have never had any kind of issue. It’s fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

yeah I went to windows 11 earlier this year and have had no issues.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Windows 11 sucked rear end until a month or so ago when they finally loving patched back in the ability to ungroup taskbar icons.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Countblanc posted:

There's a board game called Roll Player that leans into this, and apparently there's a digital version on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1939940/Roll_Player__The_Board_Game/

Ooooh I'd never heard of this! Thank you!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Windows 11 is mostly fine but they moved the Start button away from where it had been ever since Windows 95.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft should be brave and go back to the Windows 3.1 UI

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Microsoft should be brave and go back to the Windows 3.1 UI

imagine the profits if they made hot dog stand a DLC theme

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more like Faildows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KNR posted:

Mostly it sounds like the usual issue of a tactics game pretending to be symmetric (the enemy follows the same rules and has the same abilities as the player) while simultaneously having every fight be at terrible odds yet expecting every fight to end with zero casualties. Instakill snipers are a lot more fun to use than to fight against, vastly more so when your soldiers aren't disposable.

Embracing the asymmetry (while also allowing for more casualties than basically any other modern tactics game, though not the original x-com) is a big part of what makes the Firaxis xcoms so great.
It's been a great while since I played JA2, but aren't your mercs kind of disposable? They slowly gained more skills in the previous game, but if someone ate poo poo you could hopefully just go hire a more expensive, better guy?

But more broadly, you're bang-on with how the asymmetry is flawed in a lot of interpretations. Casualties should be OK in these games, and unduely rewarding (nay, expecting) improbably flawless play goes against that.