Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I read about 5 pages but missed any discussion on the topic so sorry if this has been repeated a lot.

I just bought BG3 and I'm wondering what a good first character would be. I usually go Paladin for DnD games but since this game is very very story heavy I've heard that could really limit me. A bard would be good for that but from what I remember they're pretty weak. I find fighters pretty boring and pure casters too difficult. Cleric is good but I don't know if they have the dialog issues that Paladins have. I don't like multiclassing. I've been out of the DnD game thing for a few years.

Any ideas for a character for simple first time playthrough?

Paladin or bard. The "limitations" for paladins is that you can't go against your oath, but that's like making undead, cutting deals with evil bosses or attacking random villagers sort of stuff.

Bards are the best talker class, cover your thief skills, are full spellcasters and are practically full warriors if you go College of Swords bard. They do everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I read about 5 pages but missed any discussion on the topic so sorry if this has been repeated a lot.

I just bought BG3 and I'm wondering what a good first character would be. I usually go Paladin for DnD games but since this game is very very story heavy I've heard that could really limit me. A bard would be good for that but from what I remember they're pretty weak. I find fighters pretty boring and pure casters too difficult. Cleric is good but I don't know if they have the dialog issues that Paladins have. I don't like multiclassing. I've been out of the DnD game thing for a few years.

Pally was extremely fun. If you go gently caress it and murder people you can just continue as an oath breaker and that's fine. Ancients pally is my favourite class and I recommend playing a pally if you like it. You also get some very metal dialogue options as a paladin.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I might have messed up. Act 3 spoilers about Wyll's questline and Karlach's ending. I didn't go see Mizora before I went to the Iron Throne and didn't realize Duke Ravenguard was going to be there. Now he's dead and Wyll doesn't have anything else to say and I don't know if he's going to get the option of becoming the Blade of Avernus. I'm romancing Karlach and want the option of going to hell with her at the end, is that possible if Wyll isn't the Blade of Avernus?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JBP posted:

Pally was extremely fun. If you go gently caress it and murder people you can just continue as an oath breaker and that's fine. Ancients pally is my favourite class and I recommend playing a pally if you like it. You also get some very metal dialogue options as a paladin.

You've piqued my interest. I'll look into that.

It's still downloading.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I might go bardbarian for my next run. On one hand I want to play a support bard for charisma purposes, on the other hand I've seen a few of the barbarian-specific dialog options and I really want to be able to roar at an ogre to intimidate them while also having a decent charisma score.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I might have messed up. Act 3 spoilers about Wyll's questline and Karlach's ending. I didn't go see Mizora before I went to the Iron Throne and didn't realize Duke Ravenguard was going to be there. Now he's dead and Wyll doesn't have anything else to say and I don't know if he's going to get the option of becoming the Blade of Avernus. I'm romancing Karlach and want the option of going to hell with her at the end, is that possible if Wyll isn't the Blade of Avernus?

I know it's possible to go to hell with Karlach without Wyll. I don't know what exactly will happen with your run. Have you been to Ironforge yet? In my first runthrough back before any patches I ended up in a similar spot and the duke just wasn't there and that was the end of it but I don't know if they've addressed this continuity in any of the patches since. Sorry!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

It's still downloading.

Paladins are awesome. If you go Vengeance you don't have to worry too much about being limited, just dispense justice as you see fit, which I think most people do anyways.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can, I did that ending without Wyll and without romancing that character, so you should be good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

in the very early game you pick up a fighter, a wizard, a barbarian, and a warlock for your party that are all pretty solid, as well as a rogue and a cleric that can be respecced to be good, so whatever class you pick for your PC you'll be able to build a party that covers melee tanking and spellcasting.
Just pick whatever looks fun to play, and accept that your first playthrough is not going to be optimally min-maxed because you don't know everything that's going on yet, and that's fine.
Also there's an NPC you meet extremely early in the game who hangs out at your camp and can re-spec any character for 100 gold at any time, which is basically free. So if your character build isn't doing it for you, you can just switch to something else.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I went Warlock for this first playthrough and I'm really enjoying it. Pact of the Blade means you use the same attribute for spellcasting, melee attacks, and being the party face. Getting your spell slots back on short rests and Eldritch Blast being an awesome cantrip makes managing your spell book much less fussy. Plus, you have lots of freedom to lean into whichever aspect of the class appeals to you most. There's tons of great gear for being an Eldritch Blast turret OR a demonic flavored spellblade.

I'm doing the latter now (just started act 3): 5 great old one bladelock/5 champion fighter. I get 3 attacks per round as a base + the expanded crit range from champion means I regularly proc Mortal Reminder to inflict Frighten and give me a 4th attack from Great Weapon Mastery. I also have a hat that gives me bonus weapon damage for two turns every time I inflict a status effect. Devil Sight lets me drop Darkness on myself + a crowd of enemies and go Batman on them. If I do need to fight at range, Hunger of Hadar + Agonizing/Repelling Blast does work.

The flexibility is also nice because it makes it easier to plug different companions into a party without feeling like you're too heavy on one thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Waukeen's rest experience usually involves me looting all the bagels and wine and then remembering I need to save Florrick and that other guy before they burn to death. But the bagels and wine tho

Paladin is a great first choice. Don't even worry if you fail your oath and fall. There's a special Paladin spec you get if you do that and it's just fine.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Bards and Clerics have the most unique dialogue options, I think. If you want things to stay easy then a Bard is good so you can talk your way your of/into more stuff. Rogue too for the same reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Entropic posted:

as well as a rogue and a cleric that can be respecced to be good

Rogue is a really good class and Astarion with two bonus actions can stab and bite people every turn.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

It's still downloading.
Also there are options for mutton chops.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a gameplay mechanics question:
With debuffs, it seems like sometimes characters are allowed to reroll their saves every round? But not always? Like I’m p sure this guy just removed his blindness on his turn with a successful CON save, but the Blindness spell doesn’t say anything about allowing saving throws every round.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pthighs posted:

Paladins are awesome. If you go Vengeance you don't have to worry too much about being limited, just dispense justice as you see fit, which I think most people do anyways.

Can I get a big Punisher skull on my breastplate?

Honestly a vengeful Paladin seems kinda fun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

EorayMel posted:

Durge run, I presume :hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

EorayMel posted:

Can I be a communist?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Can I get a big Punisher skull on my breastplate?

Not by default. Also I *think* you can't go Oathbreaker by going Vengeance Paladin and murdering innocent people. You can for Ancients/Devotion. Vengeance will go Oathbreaker if you show mercy or get bought off by villains instead of executing them.

I know for a fact that one of the main antagonists you eventually confront drops some badass skull armor but that is much later in the game. Not sure about any earlier instances.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Durge run, I presume :hmmyes:

You know it bay bee. Harry DUrge Bois is 100% lore accurate.

Can I be a communist?

Yes, actually. You need to speak to animals to do so.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 31, 2023

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Bard-barian

Dru-izard

F-onk (fighter monk)

P-ogue (paladin rogue

S-ock (sorcerer wRlock)

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Paladin or bard. The "limitations" for paladins is that you can't go against your oath, but that's like making undead, cutting deals with evil bosses or attacking random villagers sort of stuff.

You'd think so, and I thought so, but I just picked up this game over the past week playing as paladin and (early ACT 1) I broke my most sacred of oaths by apparently poking that blue bird in the druid cove dead. How terrible of me. I have kept playing because I don't really care but that had me laughing for quite awhile.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

EorayMel posted:

Not by default. Also I *think* you can't go Oathbreaker by going Vengeance Paladin and murdering innocent people.

I think you still can with vengeance, you just don't lose it for immediately choosing violence to resolve a situation. You also can't let people off with a slap on the wrist for doing the wrong thing, you have to smack them hard.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Unlike the other Paladin subclasses, the Oathbreaker subclass is not available during Character Creation. Once you have taken an action that breaks your Oath, the Oathbreaker Knight will appear before you and let you know he will be waiting in your Camp. Speak with him to learn about Oathbreaking and, if you so desire, unlock the Oathbreaker subclass. This replaces the Channel Oath abilities and Spells from your previous Oath with new abilities and Spells available only to Oathbreaker.

Oathbreaking:

Oath of the Ancients: Killing a non-aggressive animal, raising the dead, or choosing an "Attack" dialogue option when more peaceful options are available.
code:
Kindle the Light. Through your acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.

Shelter the Light. Where there is good, beauty, love, and laughter in the world, stand against the wickedness that would swallow it. 
Where life flourishes, stand against the forces that would render it barren.

Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can’t preserve it in the world.

Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all your deeds.
Oath of Devotion: Attacking a non-hostile creature, refusing to defend someone who is obviously in need of aid, or deceiving your enemies (e.g. negotiating a peaceful resolution and then attacking anyway).
code:
    Honesty. Don’t lie or cheat. Let your word be your promise.

Courage. Never fear to act, though caution is wise.

Compassion. Aid others, protect the weak, and punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your foes, but temper it with wisdom.

Honor. Treat others with fairness, and let your honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as much good as possible while causing the least amount of harm.

Duty. Be responsible for your actions and their consequences, protect those entrusted to your care, and obey those who have just authority over you.
Oath of Vengeance: Convincing someone not to take their revenge on their transgressor, letting the guilty go without punishment, betraying those who were in need of vengeance and siding with their oppressor.
code:
    Fight the Greater Evil. Exerting your wisdom, identify the higher morality in any given instance, and fight for it.

No Mercy for the Wicked. Chasten those who dole out their villainy by wiping their blight from the world forever.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Either Bard or Paladin are great for your main character. They're both excellent in combat (especially College of Swords bard at level 3) and they'll make good face characters for the party.

One thing to keep in mind is that your main Charisma-based dialogue options (Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception) are usually mutually exclusive. Most of the time you can either persuade OR intimidate OR lie, but you won't be able to use more than one option. Persuasion is the most commonly available and is used for a lot of big party companion skill checks. Convincing your party members to make big life decisions, or talking a boss into surrendering to you. Big important stuff like that is mostly Persuasion.

So, imo, go Paladin or Bard with 14-16 Charisma and Persuasion proficiency (+expertise on bard) and you'll be a combat powerhouse and be able to handle important party face stuff. You can also grab Intimidate or Deception if you want but they're more alternatives to Persuasion.

edit: the advantage to going Bard is none of your companions are a Bard by default, and Bards get Jack of All Trades and Expertise so they have a ton of skills.

My personal recommendation is go Bard and put points in dexterity, constitution, and charisma. Take Urchin background or otherwise pick Sleight of Hand and Persuasion as proficiencies. Now you're the party thief as well as the talky dude.

You have plenty of time to mess around with the combat system and decide whether you want your Bard to lean more into archery, melee, or spells. Each of those is good and viable

Go bard, 16 Dex 14 Con and 16 Charisma and include Sleight of Hand, Perception, and Persuasion in your skills proficiencies somewhere. Take Sleep and Longstrider in your starting spells and whatever else you want. At level 3 go College of Lore if you want to lean more into casting and go College of Swords if you want to lean more into fighting.

Respecs are infinite and cheap so you can always experiment with stuff.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 1, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Don't feel a need to play a charisma class.Many classed have unique dialogue options that give them alternate ways through. Play what you feel like playing. BG3 is a fun way to try out a character build that you haven't had the opportunity to do in tabletop. You can respec yourself or a companion for pocket change very early.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I initially bounced off this game after about 6-8 hours because I thought it was boring and the combat took way too long.

I'm 25 hours in now, just got the moonlight lantern on the way to moonrise and doubled back to check out the mountain pass area first.

I think the Goblin Camp is the most tedious and boring area of the game so far and I almost didn't see the rest of it, which I've liked to loved, because it was so crappy. I also didn't understand the CRPG turn based combat wasn't going to be spammed - there will only be 1 or 2 encounters per area, maybe a couple more which are very avoidable, so it's okay to take my time with the fights, too. The nautiloid and emerald grove were just okay. Then I found the Hag's teahouse and everything since then has been a lot of fun.

I still don't like the UI because it discourages me from experimenting much since all my items and unused spells are behind menus, so I'm just sticking with what works. It would be so good if the game could suggest to you - use this item on this situation, and bring up the icon above the hotbar or something. Because I have hundreds of items and I don't remember what I have at all.

My custom + Karlach are warriors who charge in, with Gale doing magic missile usually and Shadowheart either healing, casting the radiant circle which kills enemies by her just walking near them, or some other spell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

roomtone posted:

I initially bounced off this game after about 6-8 hours because I thought it was boring and the combat took way too long.

I'm 25 hours in now, just got the moonlight lantern on the way to moonrise and doubled back to check out the mountain pass area first.

I think the Goblin Camp is the most tedious and boring area of the game so far and I almost didn't see the rest of it, which I've liked to loved, because it was so crappy. I also didn't understand the CRPG turn based combat wasn't going to be spammed - there will only be 1 or 2 encounters per area, maybe a couple more which are very avoidable, so it's okay to take my time with the fights, too. The nautiloid and emerald grove were just okay. Then I found the Hag's teahouse and everything since then has been a lot of fun.

I still don't like the UI because it discourages me from experimenting much since all my items and unused spells are behind menus, so I'm just sticking with what works. It would be so good if the game could suggest to you - use this item on this situation, and bring up the icon above the hotbar or something. Because I have hundreds of items and I don't remember what I have at all.

My custom + Karlach are warriors who charge in, with Gale doing magic missile usually and Shadowheart either healing, casting the radiant circle which kills enemies by her just walking near them, or some other spell.

Skill issue imo

for real though the UI is terrible. it's really not tedious or that much more time consuming to open the menu to use a scroll/potion whatever though, it takes like .5 seconds to do

Oh, here's a protip for loot management. Pick up pouches/backpacks and use them for potions/scrolls/arrows and keep them on an associated party member. Makes that sort of inventory managed much easier.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I think one of the biggest strengths of BG3 compared to most crpgs is that basically every encounter is a unique, bespoke thing, and areas will only have a few fights sprinkled around. There’s never a point where you enter a dungeon and fight a room of enemies, then go to the next room and fight another room of enemies, then solve a puzzle, then fight another room of enemies, and on and on.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
you can throw goblins???

this changes everything

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I would enjoy the inventory UI much more if you could filter by more than item type and name. I want to search item descriptions, filter damage types, item attributes e.g. “light”, etc. There’s a volume of items that I’m sure makes sense after hundreds of hours or with 5e experience, but as it is it’s tedious going item by item trying to find what I need.

Plus only having pictures - I might remember having “item/spell X” but heck if I can remember what the icon looks like without digging or pulling a wiki.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you can throw goblins???

this changes everything

You appreciate the goblin camp so much more when you start fighting enemies that you can't pick up and throw at another enemy.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I want to point out that while rogues get slept on in the talk of "most powerful classes in bg3," they are also quite fun, and extremely versatile and customizable, and make for a very compelling main character (especially Durge, as rogue benefits a lot from a Durge-only item you get early on). They also multiclass very well.

Dexterity is such an easy primary stat to build around that you will have plenty of room to put points into constitution, or intelligence, or wisdom, or charisma. Combined with their Expertise trait, you can have a rogue who is absolutely the face of the party, with extremely high bluff, persuasion, or intimidation, and you can easily have proficiency in a lot of the fun lore skills like arcana or history or religion.

they're a well-balanced class, it's just that they aren't gamebreaking in bg3 like some of the big combo damage builds. Which is funny bc in many of the previous DND games, rogues could do some of the most insane shenanigans of them all.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Took until my third play that I realized (act 1) you can initiate the "steal the idol" quest, then uncover / resolve the shadow druid plot, then steal the idol and it won't initiate a civil war. So you can get the Ring of Protection without killing a bunch of people.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Cephas posted:

I want to point out that while rogues get slept on in the talk of "most powerful classes in bg3," they are also quite fun, and extremely versatile and customizable, and make for a very compelling main character (especially Durge, as rogue benefits a lot from a Durge-only item you get early on). They also multiclass very well.

Yeah, I went with an assassination rogue on my first time through and it felt like a solid choice. In retrospect that playthrough was a hamfisted mess because I barely knew what I was doing, but being really good at sneaking and lockpicking is just so dang nice when you're trying to see as much of the game as possible. Being able to get into well guarded areas without having to waste scrolls or spell slots is nothing to sneeze at.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Typical Grymforge Honor Mode fight.

Got 'em down eventually, though. The Sharrans were progenitors of many arcane technologies but "looking up" wasn't one of them!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lol gently caress me. Fought the Githyanki group near Voss at level 4 on HM and totally got my poo poo pushed in. RIP to that run.

I guess next time I need a tankier group for that setup. Or to not fight them at level 4 at all. too easy to get rolled with bad initiative rolls

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you can throw goblins???

this changes everything

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Lol gently caress me. Fought the Githyanki group near Voss at level 4 on HM and totally got my poo poo pushed in. RIP to that run.

I guess next time I need a tankier group for that setup. Or to not fight them at level 4 at all. too easy to get rolled with bad initiative rolls

yeah I do that fight at least level 5.

My recommendation is do the Underdark and maybe Grymforge and get to level 5 before taking on the gith. You can make the Underdark pretty easy by entering from the Zhent basement and heading directly to the myconid village to pick up Glut as an extra party member. He's pretty strong and he'll follow you everywhere in the non-Grymforge Underdark. Trivializes a lot of the fights there.

edit: specifically, get Glut and then have him spore zombie a hook horror or duergar or minotaur I think they get 80% of their living HP. You might even be able to raise one of the already-dead duergar corpses, I forget. Now you've got two very beef extra party members to walk all over that subzone.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 1, 2024

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

yeah I do that fight at least level 5.

My recommendation is do the Underdark and maybe Grymforge and get to level 5 before taking on the gith. You can make the Underdark pretty easy by entering from the Zhent basement and heading directly to the myconid village to pick up Glut as an extra party member. He's pretty strong and he'll follow you everywhere in the non-Grymforge Underdark. Trivializes a lot of the fights there.

edit: specifically, get Glut and then have him spore zombie a hook horror or duergar or minotaur I think they get 80% of their living HP. You might even be able to raise one of the already-dead duergar corpses, I forget. Now you've got two very beef extra party members to walk all over that subzone.

Yeah normally I don't even try them unless I'm level 5 but I got cocky this run. Bad mistake. I definitely won't go near them until level 5 in the future.

Honestly even if I cheesed it and prepositioned my party on high ground I think I still mighta had a hard time there. Maybe with that + smokepowders it woulda been manageable.

e: I will try your Underdark strat though. I don't usually go down there early but that might be a fun change of pace

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have to kill them? I swear I did that and didn't get that but I don't think it killed either of them (maybe the throwing victim?)