Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It’s that time of the year again, who has predictions for 2024?

Hot western U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Did it not occur to anyone that the Earth is saving humanity by giving us an additional growing season?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I learned recently that warmer air has a higher water saturation point, but that water content in the air isn't keeping up, in effect making the air drier.
I also learned that plants don't much care for that?

Previously I thought droughts came from disrupted weather only.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

uguu posted:

I learned recently that warmer air has a higher water saturation point, but that water content in the air isn't keeping up, in effect making the air drier.
I also learned that plants don't much care for that?

Previously I thought droughts came from disrupted weather only.

don't worry, that just means when it does decide to rain it rains a lot harder. balance restored!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Not looking forward to my first "atmospheric river" whenever it comes, since that seems to be a thing everywhere else now :ohdear:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/28/japanese-scientists-find-microplastics-are-present-in-clouds

quote:

Japanese scientists find microplastics are present in clouds

Japanese scientists have found between 6.7 and 13.9 pieces of microplastic in each litre of cloud water tested.

In a study published in the journal Environmental Chemistry Letters, Japanese scientists climbed Mount Fuji and Mount Oyama in order to collect water from the mists that shroud the peaks, then applied advanced imaging techniques to the samples to determine their physical and chemical properties.The team identified nine different types of polymers and one type of rubber in the airborne microplastics, which ranged in size from 7.1 to 94.6 micrometres.

Each litre (0.26 gallon) of cloud water tested contained between 6.7 to 13.9 pieces of the plastics.

“If the issue of ‘plastic air pollution’ is not addressed proactively, climate change and ecological risks may become a reality, causing irreversible and serious environmental damage in the future,” lead author of the research, Hiroshi Okochi of Waseda University, warned in a statement on Wednesday.

When microplastics reach the upper atmosphere and are exposed to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, they degrade, contributing to greenhouse gasses, Okochi said.

Microplastics – which are defined as plastic particles under 5 millimetres that come from industrial effluent, textiles, synthetic car tires, personal care products and other sources – have already been discovered inside fish, peppering Arctic sea ice, and in the snows on the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain.However, the mechanisms of their transport to such varied locations had remained unclear, with research on airborne microplastic transport in particular being limited.

“To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on airborne microplastics in cloud water,” the authors wrote in their paper.

Waseda University said in a statement on Wednesday that research shows that “microplastics are ingested or inhaled by humans and animals alike and have been detected in multiple organs such as lung, heart, blood, placenta, and faeces”.

“Ten million tons of these plastic bits end up in the ocean, released with the ocean spray, and find their way into the atmosphere. This implies that microplastics may have become an essential component of clouds, contaminating nearly everything we eat and drink via ‘plastic rainfall’”, the university said in announcing the new research findings.

Emerging evidence has linked microplastics to a range of effects on heart and lung health, as well as cancers, in addition to widespread environmental harm.

did not expect that on my bingo card

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Be on high ground, clear drains, have a good roof. Easy peasy.

then end up joining the food riots since the 5th atmospheric river this year smashed the crops.

We're all going to get got, it's just by what. Until then, practice community if you can.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The case against littering grows...

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
microplastics are valuable cloud condensation nuclei and if we remove them from the atmosphere then where's the rain going to come from??

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

don't worry, that just means when it does decide to rain it rains a lot harder. balance restored!

Thanks rim, you always know how to cheer me up. I love rain.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

microplastics are valuable cloud condensation nuclei and if we remove them from the atmosphere then where's the rain going to come from??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XwcxQEuvQ4&t=74s

:patriot:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

OIL PANIC posted:

a goose will abandon its eggs and start brooding any larger egg-shaped thing you put in front of it, and yet it sounds like the geese are responding to climate change more rationally than the floridians

edit: i think what im trying to say is we need to teach geese economics

it sounds like they already have a degree in it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

iirc this has been known for awhile. rain water is so polluted its really hosed up, you can't just put out a bucket and let it fill with rain water and drink it

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Amateurs. They are only putting soot in the air when they could be directly converting tires to vapor too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQIDC_62h40&t=27s

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

motherfucker, if you are going to say

quote:

microplastics are ingested or inhaled by humans and animals alike and have been detected in multiple organs such as lung, heart, blood, placenta, and faeces

and

quote:

microplastics may have become an essential component of clouds, contaminating nearly everything we eat and drink via ‘plastic rainfall’

then i am not going to take you seriously when you also say

quote:

If the issue of ‘plastic air pollution’ is not addressed proactively, climate change and ecological risks may become a reality, causing irreversible and serious environmental damage in the future

it’s gone from desperate cope to incoherent nonsense. it is happening now, that’s literally what you’re researching. the gently caress do you think proactive means

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It’s that time of the year again, who has predictions for 2024?

2023 gave the USA fires & floods, so for the sake of novelty and alliteration I'm voting for famine in 24.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

there is no rational economic reason to hold back the plastification of the biosphere, as plastic is vastly superior to most naturally occuring materials

for example, bananas will be much more space and weight efficient to transport once their skins evolve to resemble cling film wrappers

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

TACD posted:

(..)
the gently caress do you think proactive means

The stage before active.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TACD posted:

and

it’s gone from desperate cope to incoherent nonsense. it is happening now, that’s literally what you’re researching. the gently caress do you think proactive means

[feeling a bullet shatter my pancreas]

"if we dont take proactive measures, bullet-related internal organ destruction could soon become all too real"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TACD posted:

and

Its obviously a poor translation.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Salt Fish posted:

Its obviously a poor translation.
after i made the post I realised the first two quotes are from ‘the university’ and only the last one is from the researcher but whatever, who cares, nothing matters

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's not good at all

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

TACD posted:

and

Remember in 2018 when they said we'd lost half of all animals that were alive since 1970 by destroying their habitats? "If we don't act soon, things could get really bad!"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Nature is healing :)

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Do crows regularly eat pigeons? I've been seeing a lot of crows eating pigeons lately in NYC. I had to do a whole week of OT due to the recent storm and everyday I would find a group of crows having a feast up in the canopy while I was working in the trees.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Unless posted:

everytime

one of my favorite ever pictures (despite what it is)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Magnificent posted:

If we'd just kept up the rate of decrease from March - May 2020 for 10 extra years, we'd have made it.

So COVID, but 40x more powerful, could save (the world from) us.

We solve these graphs like the COVID ones and simply stop reporting CO2 numbers.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

planets dying, clouds :nsacloud:

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

ughhhh posted:

Do crows regularly eat pigeons? I've been seeing a lot of crows eating pigeons lately in NYC. I had to do a whole week of OT due to the recent storm and everyday I would find a group of crows having a feast up in the canopy while I was working in the trees.

Birds are acting weird as hell this year, at least what I've seen in SW Va. My pet theory is the insect apocalypse has driven them to novel food sources.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

Every time I see a chart like this I have a good chuckle and I want everyone to be able to enjoy that

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

actionjackson posted:

one of my favorite ever pictures (despite what it is)

are those the jewish space lasers I been hearing about?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Nasa made a really cool doom graphic https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5190/

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

are those the jewish space lasers I been hearing about?

Mirvs, a pretty and final sight

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

Not looking forward to my first "atmospheric river" whenever it comes, since that seems to be a thing everywhere else now :ohdear:

Learning to canoe should be your New Year’s resolution.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ikanreed posted:

Nasa made a really cool doom graphic https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5190/

phew, good thing it stops at 2023! I was getting worried there for a second

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
posting from 2024 to let you know everything is fine actually :)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

thanks to time zones im posting from 2022 and i gotta say the last several pages have been deeply troubling

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Rip Testes posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind seeing the geese still around the pond when I'd like to think in years past they would have migrated for the winter. I was puzzled the other day as I saw a group of geese flying north and shrugged it off a bit thinking it could just be some of the geese I've seen around lately... that maybe shouldn't be here right now.

The answer is actually cooler than that - there are two geese "civilizations", you could say, and one type migrates while the other prefers to stay in place. The sedentary type were greatly reduced or exterminated by humans during previous eras, and by the mid 20th century many people believed that the giant Canada goose was entirely extinct. In the years since then, habitat that favors sedentary geese has greatly expanded (since geese can digest grass, the proliferation of lawns, parks, and golf courses has been a godsend for them) while the habitat that favors migratory geese has been disrupted. Geese also don't have an instictual route for migration; it's all learned on the wing. As it gets harder for them to complete the migration, many of them abandon it altogether and their fledglings never learn the route.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

blatman posted:

thanks to time zones im posting from 2022 and i gotta say the last several pages have been deeply troubling

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bixington posted:

Birds are acting weird as hell this year, at least what I've seen in SW Va. My pet theory is the insect apocalypse has driven them to novel food sources.

Omnivores gonna omni and NYC is the omnest possible place