Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pilger did a lot of good reporting for many years, he just got trapped in the same dead-end worldview that Chomsky did as he aged. I won't cheer his passing because I think he did make a positive impact for many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The dead end worldview is collaboration

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

beer_war posted:

A couple of days old, but I don't believe it's been mentioned. Zelensky visited the troops at Avdiivka, while Putin continues to hide in one of his marble palaces.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1740764893454778485?s=20

What a flex.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rust Martialis posted:

Pilger did a lot of good reporting for many years, he just got trapped in the same dead-end worldview that Chomsky did as he aged. I won't cheer his passing because I think he did make a positive impact for many years.

It's sad to see it happen. It really is - it's like a death of investigative integrity.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fumble posted:

given the amount of industrial accident media that's came out of china since the birth of the internet, ima give them a pass on this one.

Having sat in a Shenyang taxi that nearly caught fire because the parking break was on for 5km, I would concur.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/1741368443369038281

quote:

#Japan at the @UN
Security Council: "it is quite obvious that this is another attempt (by Russia) to defame & criticize Ukraine and the West, thereby distracting world’s attention from what is going on right now in Ukrainian territories.

We are fed up with Russia calling so many Security Council meetings... Do we, the Council Members & #UN Member States, really deserve this? Despite all the efforts by Russia, no reasonable person would believe its narrative.

https://www.un.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/nagano122723.html

Japan laying the shade quite thickly, and rightly so.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

rowkey bilbao posted:

China actively loving with us ? That's newnew to me

Considering it's a Chinese ship and the near-Russia levels of grift that go on there frequently, there IS the possibility that the anchor locking mechanism was made out of that "steel" that people are just shattering by lightly knocking them against rocks. And that nobody just gave a poo poo about dragging the anchor for 180km because they're not specifically paid to.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Considering it's a Chinese ship and the near-Russia levels of grift that go on there frequently, there IS the possibility that the anchor locking mechanism was made out of that "steel" that people are just shattering by lightly knocking them against rocks. And that nobody just gave a poo poo about dragging the anchor for 180km because they're not specifically paid to.

On the other hand, XinXin/NewNew shipping is a Chinese subsidiary of the Russian logistics company Torgmoll. They do business with Rosatom, which suggests the owners are on the lower rungs of the Russian state grift ecosystem.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gejnor posted:

https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/1741368443369038281

Japan laying the shade quite thickly, and rightly so.

Russia's behavior is literally schoolyard bully "harass/assault people until they hit back then cry to the principal claiming to be the victim" tactics, but at the international level.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Question. If a missile passes over Poland again, but this time Polish AA shoots it down, would that trigger war?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question. If a missile passes over Poland again, but this time Polish AA shoots it down, would that trigger war?

Doubtful. Unless the missile then lands on an orphanage or something.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The_Franz posted:

Russia's behavior is literally schoolyard bully "harass/assault people until they hit back then cry to the principal claiming to be the victim" tactics, but at the international level.

Yep and so many people support it because of the same broke brained bully charisma.

"Boy that's really nasty and I'd feel pretty bad - so the victim must deserve it, all's right with the world"

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Yep and so many people support it because of the same broke brained bully charisma.

"Boy that's really nasty and I'd feel pretty bad - so the victim must deserve it, all's right with the world"

The rape apologia though is the worst though from these same people.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Jesus. Hard to believe this war is still going on. Is there any guess on how much longer this thing will go on? Any inroads to peace?

Oh and what ever happened to that one American who always posted videos like he was over there helping Ukraine and wanted donations and stuff?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Jesus. Hard to believe this war is still going on. Is there any guess on how much longer this thing will go on? Any inroads to peace?

Oh and what ever happened to that one American who always posted videos like he was over there helping Ukraine and wanted donations and stuff?

This next year (2024) will be telling. Ukraine is strained for resources--both human and material--but is still putting up a stiff defense. Russia is throwing men and materiel away at record rates and making slow progress. Both the West and Russia are ramping up military production, with many of the deliverables slated to start rolling off the lines this year. Stands to see who can follow through and deliver. Ukraine also has a hurdle of needing support to not waver.

It's not dire for them, yet, but it's definitely not where they wanted to be prior to the start of their counteroffensive. If they can last the year without heavy losses then they may be in a stronger position to break the russian military. If they falter...

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Piggy Smalls posted:

I'm afraid you're gonna have to narrow that down.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
peg leg?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

On the other hand, XinXin/NewNew shipping is a Chinese subsidiary of the Russian logistics company Torgmoll. They do business with Rosatom, which suggests the owners are on the lower rungs of the Russian state grift ecosystem.

Well there you go. Doesn't have to be any motive for China in this, if that connection is accurate it could be a pure Russian operation and China's involvement could just be saying "eh, let 'em do it" when the Torgmoll people passed on putin's genius plan.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Piggy Smalls posted:

the shortest war of all time was 38 minutes. the longest war was 700 years, with lots of breaks. expect 5 years, be surprised if it's only 3, don't be surprised if it takes 15 or 25

the kurds have been fighting off and on for 100 years, and the myanmar war is coming to a (probably temporary) close after 75 years, with lots of breaks

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 31, 2023

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm afraid you're gonna have to narrow that down.

I think the dude had a video of him being beat up in a subway station in New York? It’s sad that it has to be narrowed down. I guess some people take advantage of people to line their pockets.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

I might have been optimistic when i said it would be over in 2025.

Peace was never an option, only the obliteration of Ukraine as a nation & people will satisfy Putin, they're quite bonkers. :rolleyes:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not a chance

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Piggy Smalls posted:

I think the dude had a video of him being beat up in a subway station in New York? It’s sad that it has to be narrowed down. I guess some people take advantage of people to line their pockets.

That was James Vasquez, he p much disappeared afaik

Your original question is weird though, there are still quite a few Americans volunteering, raising money and donations (for military and otherwise); it’s not inherently negative. If anything the people who are still doing so publicly are mostly “proven”

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You know you hosed up when the Japanese are calling you out for having too many office meetings

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

bunnyofdoom posted:

Russia's not going to actually start a direct conflict with a NATO country over an occasional downed cruise missile or drone, so no.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Seems like another unfortunate New Year's Eve accident.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If only there was some way for America to stop killing all these Russian journalists

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

If only there was some way for America to stop killing all these Russian journalists

We all know it's the Brits, perfidious Albion strikes again. :argh:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

@joebiden any news on these american journalists??

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

appropriatemetaphor posted:

@joebiden any news on these american journalists??

Now quote yourself saying what an amazing point you just made. Only then can the cycle be completed and the gates of Azreoth be opened.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Piggy Smalls posted:

The next 3 to 6 months will be crucial

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

BrassRoots posted:

Now quote yourself saying what an amazing point you just made. Only then can the cycle be completed and the gates of Azreoth be opened.

What an amazing point you just made!

Wait...poo poo...gently caress

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

spiritual bypass posted:

The next 3 to 6 months will be crucial

I'd say at least until the american elections.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The general consensus is 25 is the earliest it's gonna end bar something unforeseen. Russia isn't collapsing any time soon and the western strategy seems to be to keep this as a stalemate that Russia grinds itself to death on.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The general consensus is 25 is the earliest it's gonna end bar something unforeseen. Russia isn't collapsing any time soon and the western strategy seems to be to keep this as a stalemate that Russia grinds itself to death on.

My feeling is it will be a 10-year war. Something will have definitely happen to Putin by then, and what happens after he dies is anyone's guess. The Russian inheritors of the war will be at a loss what to do with the mess, until they are outplayed by Western intelligence, and Ukrainian wherewithal. As much as everyone panics about Ukraine losing support, I think their plan is actually very long-term.

My wild speculation is then Russia will capitulate to Ukraine not demilitarizing, and Ukraine will cede the Donbas regions. Crimea will become an "independent" state which will be embroiled in a political proxy-war forever.

Keep in mind I know nothing about history or geopolitics

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm sure this will anger Putin even more as he usually prefers to be the one killing Russian journalists

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Putin really has no exit strategy here. He bet on walking in, taking Kyiv in a couple of days, declaring the birth of the new world order, and going down in history as a 21st century Tsar, but failed, and is now throwing away the lives of hundreds of Russians per day on average, because backing down would make him appear weak, and when you are basically a state-level mob boss surrounded by jackals, that's a death sentence.

e: And even if Russia were to cease hostilities tomorrow, they're still going to be global pariahs that nobody outside of other despotic states, like Iran and North Korea, will have anything to do with until Putin is ousted or dies and some reforms are made. Basically, at this point, modern Russia as it currently stands dies with Putin, for better or worse.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 1, 2024

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You'll see a Russian economy collapse before Russia getting yeeted out of Ukraine by Ukraine army tbh. It's economy is already on borrowed time currently as it's a geared as a war time economy.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The_Franz posted:

Putin really has no exit strategy here. He bet on walking in, taking Kyiv in a couple of days, declaring the birth of the new world order, and going down in history as a 21st century Tsar, but failed, and is now throwing away the lives of hundreds of Russians per day on average, because backing down would make him appear weak, and when you are basically a state-level mob boss surrounded by jackals, that's a death sentence.

If you fail, then you might as well let the common man burn while you sit in your moldy billion dollar ice rink mansion to the very mortal end, it sure beats actually doing the right thing and admitting you were wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Toxic Mental posted:

If you fail, then you might as well let the common man burn while you sit in your moldy billion dollar ice rink mansion to the very mortal end, it sure beats actually doing the right thing and admitting you were wrong!

The only part the Russian ultranationalists actually disagreed with or criticized, propaganda kayfabe or not, was that Putin wasn't as fast and violent enough to secure a victory stands out in my mind a lot tbh