Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The original Babe was Chucky

I thought this meant Child's Play Chucky at first, and now I'm sad that's not the case. What a weird movie that would've been, release the Dourif dub you cowards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
E.G. Daily is also Dottie from Pee-wee’s Big Adventure.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

You can't send to Chromecast when using a VPN. Makes total sense after I figured it out...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Henchman of Santa posted:

She's also not Tara Strong but I'd still get them confused back in the '90s-'00s lol

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Henchman of Santa posted:

Her ex-husband, Rick Salomon, was Paris Hilton’s co-star in her sex tape 1 Night in Paris. A few years later, she played Paris Hilton's mother in National Lampoon's Pledge This!

That’s… awkward.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

terd ferfgersen (its the danish spelling)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

knife_of_justice posted:

Her ex-husband, Rick Salomon…

A long time ago I was told that he was really a celebrity coke dealer, was that actually (allegedly) true?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This

ISN'T "Handsome Squidward".

This

is "Handsome Squidward" (with torn clothes)

The first is some even handsomer form. I don't know if it has an official name but I propose "Adonis Squidward" or "Handsome Squidward God Handsome Squidward". I think about Handsome Squidward a lot but it had probably been a decade or two since I actually watched the episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody has even SEEN that second squidward bro

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's Squidword, guys.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A second Squidward has hit the World Trade Center.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Smaller Squidword

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Smaller Squidword

woomy

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Hokey Pokey isn't just some dumb song from the 70s or 80s. It's not just some dumb song they were dancing to in World War 2, as I saw today in a period drama. It's nearly two hundred years old, "with variants attested as early as 1826" according to Wikipedia.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

In an opposite vein, the high five was invented in the late 1970s.

Might have learned that in this thread, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FFT posted:

I'm going to go back in time to kill the guy who did it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Similarly, the Chupacabra sounds like a creature from old folklore which has been around forever but it was invented in 1995 and was almost certainly based on jumbled up recollections of the movie Species

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Hyperlynx posted:

The Hokey Pokey isn't just some dumb song from the 70s or 80s. It's not just some dumb song they were dancing to in World War 2, as I saw today in a period drama. It's nearly two hundred years old, "with variants attested as early as 1826" according to Wikipedia.

Whoooooooaaaaaa

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Awesome! If you can pull that off, I'll give you a
um
hmm.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

FFT posted:

What’s even more wild to me is that it was filmed. Like, this dude high fives the third baseman and thus straight up invents high fiving. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3j9-49M0s

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Too slow

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fist bumping was invented in 1996 when two blind guys were going to fist but both thought they were going to be the fister.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I 'learned' that recently as well but I'm finding it seriously hard to believe people weren't high fiving since like forever? Sure maybe that's the first recorded instance where someone described it but isn't clapping your palm to another person's palm in celebration as a sort of shared clap a thing that humans have been doing since forever, literally before we started recording things?

It just seems like such a universal gesture.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Roman sources speak of a V-Celsus

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SgtScruffy posted:

What’s even more wild to me is that it was filmed. Like, this dude high fives the third baseman and thus straight up invents high fiving. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3j9-49M0s

I learned about it from an American Dad episode where Klaus claims he invented it, and goes to Dusty Baker's house to get him to admit it:
https://americandad.fandom.com/wiki/Dusty_Baker

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Taeke posted:

I 'learned' that recently as well but I'm finding it seriously hard to believe people weren't high fiving since like forever? Sure maybe that's the first recorded instance where someone described it but isn't clapping your palm to another person's palm in celebration as a sort of shared clap a thing that humans have been doing since forever, literally before we started recording things?

It just seems like such a universal gesture.

Maybe it’s because we’ve seen it in media so much, and as such it’s been depicted in very anachronistic settings so we just kinda think it really is a long-used universal gesture

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s more that it’s the simplest rear end thing that even babies learn

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It had been an absolute instinctual taboo since the last of the other human species died out, but we finally forgot and with it doomed ourselves.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TK-42-1 posted:

Easier than that, I taught a cat to do it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just some actors I recognized in some old media:
  • Sid Haig and Paul Winfield are in the "Trial By Fury" episode of Mission Impossible
  • Dick Miller (from Gremlins) has a very small role in "The Undead," a bizarre hypnosis-time-travel Roger Corman movie (seen while watching MST3K)

I dunno, just kinda cool to stumble upon some old faces.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TK-42-1 posted:

The important details are that they didn't invent clapping others hands. Ex. Clapping games date to the mid 19th century. They invented "high five!" as a reason to clap another's hands in a hell yeah context and then touch their butt.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Hyperlynx posted:

This is a total stretch, though. The 19th century lyrics are:

quote:

Fal de ral la, fal de ral la:
Hinkumbooby, round about;
Right hands in, and left hands out,
Hinkumbooby, round about;
Fal de ral la, fal de ral la.
The article even admits that the currently known tune was a 20th century publication and earlier folk songs used different tunes. The Hokey Pokey is descended from earlier folk songs that developed over the 19th century and the idea of a dance where you put one limb out at a time and do a turn is definitely at least that old, but the song we sing while we do the dance is exactly what you thought it was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The low five predates the high five by fifty years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_five

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now that you mention it I have a hazy memory of a probably racist Looney Toon where a black guy says "give me some skin, brother" before doing a low five.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

its like how the game timeline says role play games were invented in the 70s. theres no way d&d invented the idea of playing a role in a game

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
That's where the distinction between inventing and codifying something comes into play.

D&D codified the hell out of RPGs and high fantasy settings, to the point of birthing the "actually it's a wyvern" phenomenon because of how comprehensive it made a point to be about such things.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Len posted:

its like how the game timeline says role play games were invented in the 70s. theres no way d&d invented the idea of playing a role in a game

Sure, for example in Monopoly you role-play as a capitalist hero with the righteous and honourable goal of wiping out all the worthless poor people.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And the high-five was invented by a fascinating dude named Glenn Burke in the late 1970s, because he was so excited for a teammate who hit a home run. He just stuck his hand up and the other guy didn't know what to do, so he slapped it, and a legendary move was born. The Dollop podcast did an episode about him, which is pretty good (tragic ending, though).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jan 1, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh gently caress I got "Gérard Hifive" in 1969.

Anyone got any time crystal crystals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Len posted:

D&D is a fantasy version of a Napoleonic wars themed wargame that escalated into roleplaying in the 1960s.

Which is why D&D nerds are called grognards.