Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

insane clown pussy posted:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/oVhCBDARCyR4/

the best part is the little gang vocal bit after the first chorus

You know, yes that song is uninspired garbage, but my god the production and mix makes it so much worse than it could have been.

Like aside from the trite and meaningless lyrics and completely boring, stock sounding riffs, the vocals are super weak and were performed with a timid and an almost exhausted sounding energy, like the guy stayed up for 2 days straight and could barely stay awake in the studio as he did the performance on top of having zero confidence in his own ability to sing. But despite that, those vocals are mixed like 3 times louder than everything else, which means the rest of the mix gets pushed down so far that it sounds like the song was mixed for karaoke. Also the guitars sound like distortion pedals plugged straight into the board, they're just a flat, fuzzy mess, and they were tracked by somebody who had about as much energy in their playing as the singing. That "vocals are the only thing that matters" production style is every lovely Nashville producer's go-to technique and it's horrible. It totally kills any vibe the music might have and it should be illegal.

On the other hand, if the producer would have been able to convince those guys to perform the song like they gave even half a poo poo about that studio time they paid for, and the mix engineer wasn't incompetent and didn't mix the song like relaxed background TV commercial music, yes the song would still be bad, but it might not have been the outright embarrassing mess it is now.

I know the entire point is that everything the MIW guy touches, from idea to execution, is lame and sucks by every possible metric, but man. Anyway, thank you for listening to my stupid "production matters" rant in the Stupid Music poo poo II thread.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

muike posted:

rabea massaad is the only good of that whole chapman circle

Fixed it for you

The Captain is a pretty inoffensive blues dad but kind of boring. Danish Pete feels like someone who would be on the Epstein list about to be dropped.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

insane clown pussy posted:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/oVhCBDARCyR4/

the best part is the little gang vocal bit after the first chorus

I did manage to find this late last night after posting, and I totally forgot about details like that uninspired little "yeah!" with him and the band. It's amazing how well he was able to scrub the video and the rest of the Nashville Noises album off the internet. I found two postings of an unfortunate live solo and his newest project first before digging up Have Heart.

And yes, our discussion randomly got "heart is pumpinggggg" stuck in my head which is why I wanted to revel in the aggressive mediocrity one more time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I know Rabea gets pointed at as the good one,but if you're bandmate and friend is being a piece of poo poo this consistently for this long and you've done nothing except nod and go "ah yeah man" then at best you're enabling them to be a piece of poo poo. Idunno, I don't think it's a big ask to not just shrug and go "awhatcanyado" if you want to be a good guy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Didn’t he move on a long time ago from those guys?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

What's up with chapman, something outside of the riff city debacle?

idk what hes cancelled for or whatever he's just a font of incredibly tacky bullshit. hes nu metal David Brent.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Didn’t he move on a long time ago from those guys?

Yeah, he even dropped all their endorsements (victory, Chapman guitars) so he could go get real ones.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

massive spider posted:

idk what hes cancelled for or whatever he's just a font of incredibly tacky bullshit. hes nu metal David Brent.

Chapman's "pudgy Englishman with dreadlocks" era was violently cringeworthy

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

lol that y'all are getting mad at youtube dudes Yeah let's watch them REACT to Supertramp or some poo poo

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

stratdax posted:

Nothing wrong with appreciating technical ability for its own sake.

Of course, but the Venn diagram of these guys and "Kurt Cobain was a mediocre guitarist" guys is a near circle.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

gently caress off with that AI poo poo

Only real pictures of Santa please.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Of course, but the Venn diagram of these guys and "Kurt Cobain was a mediocre guitarist" guys is a near circle.

This is the shibboleth to find musicians among technical players. If they understand how a basic power chords guy like Cobain is great, they're okay. If they don't, they're wankers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BonHair posted:

This is the shibboleth to find musicians among technical players. If they understand how a basic power chords guy like Cobain is great, they're okay. If they don't, they're wankers.

My favorite thing about music is finding groups of technically proficient and emotive musicians who I genuinely like, but make terrible music together. My go-to example here is Dave Matthews Band. A bunch of great musicians who make music I hate. Which is where a lot of shred tends to end up. I love Steve Vai, but I can only listen for so long before I want to to see, hear, or do something else.

Ability does not correlate to good music in any meaningful direction. And that's why it rules. And is stupid.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

rickiep00h posted:

My favorite thing about music is finding groups of technically proficient and emotive musicians who I genuinely like, but make terrible music together. My go-to example here is Dave Matthews Band. A bunch of great musicians who make music I hate. Which is where a lot of shred tends to end up. I love Steve Vai, but I can only listen for so long before I want to to see, hear, or do something else.

Ability does not correlate to good music in any meaningful direction. And that's why it rules. And is stupid.

My wife used to listen to Radio Paradise, and now and again they'd play a song that I felt was amongst the worst music I'd ever heard.

Sounded like Sting's solo work, but even more muso. It was always the Dave Matthews Band.

Then it would go back to Mark Knopfler and Crowded House.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mark Knopfler is actually the one that kills me the most. there's a few really good dire straits songs, but the rest is just so blaaaaaaaand

(also multiple weirdly homophobic tunes. making movies could very well be one of my favorite records were it not for les boys lurking at the end of side 2)

if you asked me to remember a single lick or lyric off of communique or love over gold, i could not

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Mark Knopfler made about five good songs (being generous) but got elevated just because of the dearth of music appealing to his demographic. There's a few good tunes, and he's a good guitarist, but most of Dire Straits and his solo stuff sounds like poo poo I hear as inoffensive background music in a hardware store.

Walk of Life sounds like it was made for Funniest Home Videos, there I said it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mark Knopfler is just the poke-evolved version of Martin Barre.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

snoot posted:

the worst music I'd ever heard.

Sounded like Sting's solo work, but even more muso.

I'll have you know that Ten Summoners Tales got me laid twice. :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chrpno posted:

lol that y'all are getting mad at youtube dudes Yeah let's watch them REACT to Supertramp or some poo poo

i dont know what any of this means please explain it to me thanks.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i dont know what any of this means please explain it to me thanks.

Well I'm old, so the idea of investing time and interest in the dramas and habits of youtube music commentators is pretty alien to me. Plus I'm conflating my disdain with those worthless "reaction" videos (Classical composer REACTS to Master of Puppets; Caveman REACTS to hearing Kraftwerk for the first time; etc etc)

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

hexwren posted:

if you asked me to remember a single lick or lyric off of communique or love over gold, i could not

Dire Straits was the first band I was really "in to" in my high school days, so I didn't realise until much later how much their 3rd and 4th albums rip off Springsteen.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Chrpno posted:

Well I'm old, so the idea of investing time and interest in the dramas and habits of youtube music commentators is pretty alien to me. Plus I'm conflating my disdain with those worthless "reaction" videos (Classical composer REACTS to Master of Puppets; Caveman REACTS to hearing Kraftwerk for the first time; etc etc)

"I'm completely out of touch with the world and halfway into the grave" probably isn't the massive own you think it is.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Also it just sort of Kramer'd into an unrelated conversation so idk what the point was.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chrpno posted:

I don’t actually care.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don’t actually care.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chrpno posted:

Dire Straits was the first band I was really "in to" in my high school days, so I didn't realise until much later how much their 3rd and 4th albums rip off Springsteen.

is it really a rip off when they're literally hiring bruce's producer and pianist

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The stupidest music poo poo is that Bonamassa, much like Clapton and SRV, owes his entire career to racism.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

blueshammer of the gods

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This skeleton is real mad that he does not know how to hold his guitar in some kind of playable way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

This skeleton is real mad that he does not know how to hold his guitar in some kind of playable way.

Has to be AI right?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Has to be AI right?

Di Meola? Possibly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Has to be AI right?

This was my thought, right down to the words - that can't be a real place, but it's a good imitation, you know how AI tends to get text wrong in this weirdly unsettling way?

Chrpno posted:

Di Meola? Possibly.

lmao

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

This was my thought, right down to the words - that can't be a real place, but it's a good imitation, you know how AI tends to get text wrong in this weirdly unsettling way?

lmao

It's a real place in France. I think they just added the text over a generated image.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Has to be AI right?

Nah, AI couldn't make a Crkkble battle-jacket so convincing.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The upper horn on that guitar is really something.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TheMightyBoops posted:

The upper horn on that guitar is really something.

That's skeleton titty.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Playing behind the back/under the arm, fretboard towards himself lmao. A guitar-move so raw it must have killed him.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

That's skeleton titty.

It's a banana and the skeleton is about to chomp it

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Looks like he's super pissed about that first fret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Looks like he's super pissed about that first fret.

That's the fret nu metal comes from