Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Chapter 91: 1859 to 1860 - Fault Lines

A dialogue with Tsenmo Sunitidevi Purgyal, former Empress of the Restored Empire of Tibet, and Brevet-Colonel Saadhvi Agarwal, Army of the Tibetan Republic

I was informed that I was to meet the Sikyong personally.

I apologize if you were given that impression. But it is only me you are speaking to. I have a measure of responsibility here. I've followed the rebel leadership for some time. And I assure you - I report to the very highest levels of leadership of the Republic.

What are you saying here?

Exactly what I mean. The highest levels. I make my reports for one person only and she does with them what she thinks is right.

One person meaning...

Well. Very good then. But how come I've never heard of you? The generals sent me reports, and I went over them every day, top to bottom and your name never came up.

Then I have done my job well.

...Well. I'll consider this flattery that they've sent someone with - with your abilities. I imagine it's got to take some maneuvering, yes? That the Sikyong wouldn't be seen with me or at least without the photographer.

The executive has her own responsibilities that I am not privy to.

But remember you were the face of the greatest threat to Lhasa since... well. The crisis, looking back, was something amazing.

Everything is amazing when you look back. You don't know what you're going through when you are going through it. I kept imagining my mothers and aunties, the great empresses of Tibet for the past thousand years, thinking of their example - the name. Lasya the Holy had a trai- disobedient general locked up in a box and I could only put up with them.

Why couldn't you put him in a box?

They were the rot in the walls, you know. Those men in their great houses. I think the whole court was a disorderly party at country estate. Or if you've been to a university - you have? - you understand my meaning. Snorting debauched pigs. The whole plan was for them to do whatever they liked and for everyone else to clean up the mess. And also those who followed whatever Wangyal said about the 'sacred isolation' of women, and how for our own safety we should be nurses or officers only, not - not anything else. The nerve of them. But now whoever's left is strung up. [She draws her finger across her neck.]

Say, did you know Wangyal?

Not on speaking terms, I only read of him and heard from others-

He was poo poo wrapped in silk sashes. ... Excuse me, I needed to say that. All 'the glory of the nation' and 'restoring the virtues of the ahistorical past' when he thought you were useful. That whole pamphlet about 'making the nation take its bitter crimson medicine', that stood in for the restoration of the harshest laws on the peasantry in a thousand years. All that about the peace of the empire and then its martial strength at the same time. Then he beat on the servants when something went wrong. Which was often. He had no sense of character. You know what I think? I think he was as surprised as anyone else that so many people followed him. He told me once, "Sunitidevi, madam-", yes, using my personal name, the nerve of him, laughing like a child: 'I can't believe this is happening'.

Well, a war, an actual war was the result, not some pamphlet he could just publish and worm his way out of.

I am surprised to hear this opinion of the court so candidly. We were all so worried about what you all were thinking. With the seizure of nearly all of the southern provinces, this had would place them at least in nominaly control of some 63% of the republic's economy...

And at least 60% of its population. This was no laughing matter.

They had claimed this land, its manufactures, and the people in it. They were able to run back and forth across it in the first few weeks like it was a hunting trip. Ruling them was another matter. So they talked to my parents. Made some deals. And brought me on because of my name. They gave me the old regalia - a necklace of turquoise, an electrum vessel, an axe and shield and the yak-hair whip and the tripods...

I had dreams of my proper place because of my name. I prayed constantly ... to the great Empress Gyalyum the Benevolent, to the Sacred Hierarch Pakmodru Tse... grant me a sword and make me an instrument of justice, send the wrathful tutelary dieties to dispel all evil... I thought that I alone would sit on the throne and tell people about and I would resolve the crises of the past thirty years and bring peace. And while I had a title and a name, trying to corral them all was a- well. They wouldn't listen to me.

Well, then they instituted constitutional limits on the monarchy's power. I had plans, you know. The bureaucracy, the army. But this is clearly a means to concentrate their own power and shut me up. All of this was just shadow play.

It was a plot between the aristocrats who had never really forgiven the republic for being formed and for chopping up their grandfathers and grandmothers, and those in the army who were unwilling to take responsibility for their failures.

This refers to the generals who abandoned the service of the Army of the Republic.

It does.

But not with their regiments. This is not like how armies were in the old days. It is loyalty to the republic that kept them on, not to an individual.

Likely so. So our army was overstuffed with generals while yours is the one with more troops, wagons, horses, cannons.

There is a logic in trying to attract major players in the army, of course. The more people you get, the easier it is to get more. And it was my idea to bring over the foreign powers.

What - what do you mean by that?

It was my idea. I spoke to the cabinet and the ministries of approaching the heads of sympathetic powers. To a few people in turn, and then when they brought it up at a cabinet meeting, it was approved immediately. We will need to sort out who are our allies in the world and begin the process of rebuilding and reform, so I thought. We had several delegations appear before us, and the most encouraging, those who leaned towards us the most, were the Hualanitstlani, Ethiopia, Maguindanao, the Purepecha, and Carantania...

That is no small group. I did not know your plans reached this far.

It was a gamble. With our situation, you had to gamble. Then it was taken out of my hands and they had me sit silent on the throne for- a darshana, really. A religious showing where they expected everyone to only glimpse me. See, from distant Nepal, the amazing Purgyal. Brought to you by the circus master, Namgang Wangyal, the amazing spineless man-creature! I thought about what the Republic was doing the whole time, but they only had me be a silent image...

Course if they asked me we should have gone right for Lhasa anyway, kept the plateau, blocked off the railroads and got the cabinet and the newspapers, and then tried to keep everything else later. But anyway.

Then there was the matter of shortages.

The first few months were very difficult for us. So much of the food was grown further south-

We had the factories, the rice paddies, the grain fields. The peasants ran off, the trade routes were stopped. We know the plateau could only barely feed itself. But we didn't know the old routes from southeast were still intact- and so we had nothing between Sichuan and the rest. Damned stupid. If we went for Lhasa instead like I suggested, we would have had a better shot. And any appropriation of grain - well, that just wouldn't take.

That gave us some trouble. The factories were scattered and short of what they needed, and all the routes of trade were cut off. We had to set up little workshops and order new shipments of ores from - god knows where else.

But - with the routes still remaining, and those networks of trade we still controlled - the Republic dusted off the old plans and prepared the mass conscription for the army. Officers were promoted well above their starting ranks, as they were needed - and with rates of attrition being what they were, well-

You've done well for yourself. The offices and the bureaucracy of the republic moved swiftly. It's admirable.

Thank you.

But wait a minute, I have to wonder - if you can answer - where did your reserves come from? It's like armies just came out of nowhere. I was promised more armies - the people spontaneously throwing off the shackles of the Lhasa government - and well, it was a large army but not as much as I expected. And shrinking all the time from disease and desertion...

Part of it comes from the Chinese population east of Sichuan. We were worried very briefly about their defection to the Huabei Federation, but-- not today, it seems. We were able to pull at least 70 regiments from the east. Now why would they volunteer in such large numbers?

Wangyal and I had an ... emotional discussion about this. I told him that the risk of ignoring an army was too great, but he insisted they'd only try and use their numbers as an advantage and they could be mowed down...

No wonder that he'd abandoned any hopes of including the majority in the civil service. I told him we needed to keep promoting more civil service officers, get the bureaucracy going. He insisted spaces were reserved for 'virtuous' people. His friends, mainly, who were not virtuous.

On paper, the odds were in our favor. We had the people, the factories, the ports, the might of a legitimate name.

Our forces were greater in every respect, and it was only a matter of the march upcountry and the Lhasa forces - that's what the term was - would be doomed.

Guns would not leave the country. Everything from the arsenals was all bought by the government.

But then the attempts came with sanctions and blockades. Of goods, and sometimes of people. Lines drawn across the borders of the republic with wax pencil, the ground would be split open by an earthquake, people caught on one side or another fretting about where their families would be. People rode on the tops of trains and on the side...

Prices of food - and everything else - spiked. Everywhere you went, people with outstretched hands. Lines for hours at the wells.

That merciless, cruel, summer of 1859. What a nightmare. As if a person were torn apart by wolves. We had plans to seize western Tibet and Qinghai and that all went to waste... what a waste.

When did you start to lose confidence in the campaign?

When none of the foreign powers we were courting sent anything more than condolences.

I think our diplomats were so arrogant and incompetent that nobody even dared to support us... the prospect of that Tibet returning was too revolting for them to even consider.

Even the pamphleteers, writers, and other sympathizers left in Lhasa were quickly forced aside.

A lot of deals were made. And it's not very hard to convince someone to fight for their lives in these circumstances.

See - I got the impression that you were able to set their greivances aside.

To an extent. There was some concern over where to go first. Goods were scarce. But we had most of the major parties represented in a war coalition... the National Alliance, the rural interests, the military, and the monasteries.

We ruined our chances when we lost the monasteries and most of the army, then. Wait, what about the Gold Mountain Party?

The industrialists - well, they were mostly active in the occupied provinces. They were marginal... trying to save what was left, and many of their seats were vacant.

The legislature was probably one of the most productive we've had in years. First order of business was cracking down on local police departments and centralizing control-

Police? I understand wanting to reform - why then?

Why the police? Well, it was a growing concern that they had become private armies of brigands for the aristocrats; these too had to be stamped out. A village headman talks about beating up on peasants and confiscating their harvest to support the rebels. So we send in the army to break it up.

This was a few days before the hostilities broke out- July -

July 27, 1859.

The Sikyong gave her speech on the outbreak of war and noted the Republics of Delhi and Yi had allied with us, as did the Kingdom of Jharkand and the Sacred Hierarchy - even distant Estonia sent its best-wishes. She made sure to include that in her address - 'in every direction, we hear the cry for dignity and the preservation of the republic'. I still cherish the ideal of a republic, where we shall all live together in freedom from tyrants. I will hope to live to see it. But, to the parliament an assembled guests, I am prepared to sacrifice my life for it.'

See, we didn't get any of that. I would have at least tried to make an appeal towards the weaknesses of the Lhasa government, make some appeals to the Bengalis or other local populations. It was only for his own audience, not persuading anybody else. It was a spell that worked while he was alive but now the spell has been broken. Wangyal just talked about storms of blood, the rising tides of invasion, how the war was forced upon us by the 'intransigence' of the republic, and no mentions of any allies.

What? We had heard rumors all this time about-

Nothing. Not the Tamils, not - nobody. I think the diplomatic corps and the aristocratic leadership was so offensive that nobody even dared to send even the most token measures of goodwill.

That was when I knew this was going to be a struggle.

See, the news came over the wire that the armies of the Sacred Hierarchy and Jharkand were marching in unopposed.

And we never, never got any news from the north.

An army was dispatched - following the roads around the cities and just reclaiming them all over a few months. Logistics was always - always a nightmare, so I read.

Yeah. That's the only thing that even slowed you all down up there.

We didn't even know the name of the officer nominally in command of the army of the north. It was disputed over some occasions. It could have been a Tocharian or a Uyghur who rebelled at the same time.

The Province of Sichuan - well, that substantial Tibetan population, and so a proportion of that as nobility to begin with. The eastern portion of the region of Kham since the time of the first empire and all that.

But again; Tibetan Army advancing from the east outnumbered many of the forces that stayed with the aristocrats. Purgyal Lobsang -

He was a relative?

Well, yes. Of course. Distantly. We share a third-great-grandmother from the 1600s.

Our staff were in a constant panic, trying to figure out where the 'main thrust' of the army would arrive. We'd built up our army now, but they didn't know where to send it. Tibetan Republic forces moved right along the Brahmaputra. The peoples were rushing to join them with open arms.

The first pitched battles were in the west - not enough armies to cover all the fronts. How many batallions did the Sacred Hierarchy have? About twenty. Our army was caught up in the pursuit of one force and did very little to catch them all.

In Sichuan, the situation was even more stark. Our communication was fragmentary at best, but we could easily tell that the army there was outnumbered, surrounded, and had no real chance of victory unless there was some kind of breakout or we were able to connect the fronts.

And along the southwest?

Again in the southwest, nearer to Lucknow, forced allied to the republic moved north, a reversal of the empire marching south over the centuries. Local garrisons and the nobles in charge just vanished like sugar dropped in your tea.

So our campaign, instead of heading on to Lhasa, was then just trying to grab on to what was left, and sending the army against whoever was in the way.

That was led by one of our most competent people: He Qianlin.

...Do you have her in custody?

We do. She surrendered her army to us two days ago. It was telegraphed to me.

... Do you know how she's doing? She always had the look of someone who did not want to be here.

I can't say.

Well, by September, end of the monsoon season, we were truly cut off from everything else.

One of the last things we heard was of a Chinese army advancing against Sichuan.

Chinese citizens of our republic, you mean.

Yes, see, we knew that now, just not then.

But our armies were just ground under. Koirala lost most of his troops in a few months, just from desertion and disease. And a victorious general alone might not compensate for such serious deficiencies in the size of the army and in morale, if she cannot make any use of her victories.

He Qianlin, still our best general, had moved against them- your troops- at Cumila. So she pushed back the line there with some days in long pursuit-

And then, right before the end of the year, your newspapers claim that the Republic has got all of Sichuan.

There was some hyperbole. But most of it, and Chengdu especially.

It did its job. The walls were closing in.

Nothing else to do and demand orders for surrender.

And in the north? Well. Whatever was left of that army. A few dozen people out of a few thousand,'d just wait, having retreated a thousand kilometers or more to Hotan or Kashgar, in the very west of the Tarim Basin until the water ran out.

Now He Qianlin was able to, as if she was an ancient conjurer, pull out a successful battle or two,

But that was certainly not enough to win the war.

Battles were not decisive without a successful pursuit, or the means to take advantage of them.

... Yeah.

The mood among the court was delusional and paranoid. I had spoken to General He, and asked for reports from the further armies - but these would never come. The advisors would insist on telling me that this could still be salvaged.

So I went to test this assumption. I donned the ceremonial uniform of an empress, wore the ancient sword of the Purgyals, and then offered that I would be able to lead the army in the field. Wangyal went as pale as a corpse, walked backwards to the door to avoid lese majeste, and then ran.

I would wish for nothing else but a boat to come and to sail away to a distant land where I would live away from the disgrace. I saw the bodies of the dead washed away in my dreams.

At the start of spring 1860, there really was nothing else to be done. The southern Imperial Restoration Army was clinging to a little bit of land, and the army in Sichuan had tried to run north on a fool's pilgrimage to near Kokonor Lake.

Just before the pre-monsoon season, your armies had reached Dhaka, and were crossing over the river Padma.

Kolkata, too. So the Empire was just a thin strip of land. The Imperial Restoration Army of Tibet was a heap of bloated corpses in the fields and a bit of marsh that flooded for a good half of the year.

In the old days, before Gyalyum the Benevolent decreed the greater use of effigies and specific cases on the use of a human sacrifice, the practice was to bury someone alive at the foundation of buildings. My mother always used to scare me and my brothers by telling stories of sacrifices and - well. Am I going to-

So when your army, Neupane's, wasn't breaking, against General He's attack. Wangyal came to approach me. He asked for a meeting.

He told me that he was offering an exchange - or that he would make another 'trade of flesh' with the Republic ahead of negotations. He wanted to give me up to bring about an amnesty. But I was not a sufficient trophy to be worth negotiating for. That my own family - all that I was good for, he said - was not enough anymore. The Republic was sure they would win.

I made my own opinions known. 'What are you going to do," I said, "are you going to flap your oily mouth and say another army is just over the hill to save us? Are you going to write another pamphlet with your rear end about witchcraft or a conspiracy of women? Are you going to tell another army to die for your delusions? If I pulled out your tongue and cut off your writing hand brought them both to the Republic I would be a hero."

He looked wounded after that, almost pitiful, saying in a quieter voice, "Do not mock me. You do not know what you are doing to yourself. We are in a-"

And then I laughed at him. "Go on," I said. "Talk your way out of this one."

At this, he pulled a pistol and told me to follow him. A carriage would be taking us to - somewhere. I would be a passed about again, a bargaining chip for him to get his way out.

It didn't get very far.

About four miles out of our camp, he panicked, and shot out the window at a guard post and then ordered the carriage-driver to go faster. No good - I heard only the crack of rifles and the carriage driver was dead and the horses were dead, kneeling in the dirt, and I tried to grab at his gun but I was thrown from my seat. When I stood up and could see where I was, I saw Wangyal standing up, still with his pistol in his hands and the local army men and a police constable pointing their revolvers at him. They were yelling back and forth, and the one policewoman yelling: "I can end this in a second, you know that?"

Wangyal then pleaded for his own life. A journalist from Kolkata was present, a Mr. Roy, and he can corroborate the rest of my account. Wangyal shouted to him and began to explain himself. He called for a doctor and some aid, calling for mercy - yeah, I can see the look on your face. Before he could explain himself, a Bengali woman in the army went up to us. She yelled: "What have you done? Are you the ones who have attacked these people? Who the gently caress do you think you are?" She went up to him and shot him twice where he stood.

And that is how you found me,

and the war came to a close. The game is over.

And all the pieces are off the board. Including yourself. Is there anything you would like to add?

This is my statement to pass to the Sikyong. I will renounce my name and all its ranks and privileges. I will give away everything I have. Let me live as a nomad or something, just - let me get out of this.

I see. We will have to put you in captivity, on a temporary basis.

Why?

It is in accordance with the reorganized law for the treatment of prisoners. We can make some arrangements for fair conditions. I'm sorry, Miss Purgyal. We have the laws here and we will need to hear more of your account in a formal setting.

Wait, is there anything I can do? Are they going to shoot me?

That is not for me to decide.

Wait a minute, there's got to be- can you-

No. Never mind. I deserve it. I deserve this. I was a coward to let it go on like this. Well, let's get this over with.

Thank you for your time, Miss Purgyal. I'm sorry.

Thank you, Colonel. I mean that.

What for?

I think you were the first person to listen to anything I've ever said.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 27, 2023

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kangxi posted:

How many batallions did the Sacred Hierarchy have? About twenty.

:vince:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
My only regret is that we did not get to hang Wangyal.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
rest in piss

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rest in piss, Wangyal. You were too lame for the fractal pyramid flag.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

free her!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I just realized that the name of the Tibetan imperial dynasty kinda looks like "Purge Yall"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are not many jobs I would want to have less than 'puppet monarch for a failing revolution'.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
Well, so much for our old order

Kangxi posted:

Chinese citizens of our republic, you mean.

What's our current citizenship policy for non-Tibetans again? And what was the journal entry?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Yuiiut posted:

Well, so much for our old order

What's our current citizenship policy for non-Tibetans again? And what was the journal entry?

Cultural Exclusion, right now the Republic has Tibetan and Nepali cultures accepted

The Journal entry was a series of events to accept Bengali, but that went defunct when we lost control of North and South Bengal states in the revolt. There are other ways for us to accept Bengali though, and some custom events I'm working on to simulate the fallout from the civil war

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
:siren: Vote: May 1, 1860 :siren:

Sangita Chautirya, Sikyong of the Republic of Tibet, May 1, 1860

Fellow citizens of the Republic, assembled kalons and representatives.

With the death of the traitor Wangyal, the dissolution of the rebel army, and the surrender of the claimant-empress Purgyal Sunitidevi, we can now state clearly that this crisis has been brought to a decisive end.

We have lost much over the past year. Many thousands of our fellow citizens have died. We have all lost someone we loved or known someone who has lost.

Those that have started the war in their hateful delusions have been scattered. Their empire is broken and shall never return. But our task is not yet accomplished. Any use of the laws which still allows for a prolonged disorder is an imperfect justice. The aristocracy rebelled over the land and the homesteading law; that is the immediate cause. We shall maintain the new laws on distribution of land. But the root cause must be addressed: a few hoarded power for themselves and wished in their error to restore the empire.

To that end, I have signed the omnibus package of laws on official languages and on the expansion and reassignment of districts. The outcry has been too great, and to silence it would be a folly. Our republic must be truly representative - upright people from every district have a hand in the government. It must not be the military alone, nor the bureaucracy, nor one leader's inspiration, nor ritual alone which binds the Republic together. It is a mode of practice, of sharing practices in thinking, all across the spokes of the wheel.

We inherited this republic, it is time for us to create something better. I urge is to go forward in the task of the creation of a more lasting peace.

Speaking of which, that reminds me why I've assembled you all here over the next few days. First off: the capital.

:siren: VOTE I: SHOULD WE MOVE THE CAPITAL OF THE REPUBLIC? :siren:

A: STAY IN LHASA

We all know Lhasa. Lhasa is sacred. Lhasa has been the capital of the Republic, and before that, the Empire for the past thousand years. It is the geographical center of the Republic, the crossroads between north and south, east and west. It has all the monuments, the palaces,

the massive pyramid looming over the landscape. And also all the government offices, which will be very expensive to move. It's also defensible, which is a plus. There is a fair argument for staying here.

B: MOVE TO KOLKATA

Now, we have considered other proposals for an alternate capital. Anything in Ngari is as expensive and remote as Lhasa but without the benefit of the established infrastructure, or even as much arable land. Srinagar and Derlenka are too remote. Kathmandu is gorgeous but it has the same construction problems as Lhasa. Chengdu or Chongqing are important both economically and culturally, but too far east compared to the rest of the republic and not really defensible if another war breaks out with Huabei.

So why not Kolkata? It is a large city and can accommodate the change, it has infrastructure, it is a railway hub, it's a major cultural, military, and mercantile center, it has a port and sits on a navigable river. It can be the centerpiece of our republic. Though it will also need to be built up...

C: A NEW CITY?

A third option is that we avoid both of these entirely and build an entirely new planned city in North Bengal, north-northwest of Kolkata. It would stand with the project of the Republic to build up something completely new from nothing. A reasonable site has been located upstream of the Hooghly River. We do not have enough infrastructure yet, but that is surmountable. Northern Bengal is the beating industrial heart of the Republic, of course, and it makes sense to have everything closer together. Sign the order, and we can begin.

And, of course, even if you aren't voting for this one, we will accept choices for a new name...

(OOC: This option is one way to deal with the fact that the Victoria 3 map doesn't have Dhaka on it(!) and instead has Jamshedpur, which wasn't even built up until the early 20th century and is in a completely wrong location. Yes I've spoken to someone about this. Just eyeballing it on the map, I think the potential new city would be near Bardhaman or Durgapur.)

TL;DR: VOTE A, B, or C for the location of a new capital city. No matter what you choose, you can also vote for a name for a NEW PLANNED CITY in North Bengal for Option C.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
C A new way of governance requires a new city, as living proof that a better world is possible

I also propose this new city to be named after our holiest of rulers, the past guiding the future. I propose Lasylia

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

A Lhasa is just too literally central to the entire project, moving to one side or another unbalances the center of gravity in the republic and risks the whole thing toppling over. I support Lasylia though

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No reason not to stay in Lhasa, I'd think. A

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

C as a member of the National Alliance of May 1756, i support us constructing an enormous city full of utopian megaprojects that will only ever get half-built

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A. For better or worse Lhasa is at the center of the Republic.

edit: changed vote because :sickos:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 2, 2024

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A. Lhasa cannot be replaced.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

C as a member of the National Alliance of May 1756, i support us constructing an enormous city full of utopian megaprojects that will only ever get half-built

this is my ideology now.

C

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

QuoProQuid posted:

C. Lhasa is an artifact of the empire, and we are a republic now. Time to act like one, including being insane.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A It's central, it has the infrastructure, it's defensible.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
C but I don't have any name ideas :shrug:

Carvor
Jan 13, 2019
C because what's a government supposed to do without a few megaprojects to eat up funding

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
A. We must remember and learn from the past, rather than tear all down.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A. Seriously, it's right in the middle of things! Do you know how rare that is?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

C. And name it Better Lhasa.

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

C. Lhasa will always be central to the Tibetan Republic's history and identity, but it's terrain, altitude, and remoteness severely limits its ability to keep up with the future growth and expansion of the republic. I argue that the true centre of our nation in terms of population, economy, and infrastructure is Bengal, and our best option for being prepared for our growing population and administrative needs is a new capital, built with our future in mind. Let us step forward into history!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
C, a new start for the republic, far more than just an empire ruled from distant Lhasa where ancient empresses made their palaces and tombs.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
A, why would we move our capital to the lands that the rebellion, pathetic as it was, proved itself able to seize? Besides, the money spent building a pyramid for the new capital would be better spent on trains.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

that's true, it'd be rather disgraceful to NOT have a pyramid in our capitol, and those are rather capital intensive....

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
A. - if we move I'm re-starting the civil war because we insulted the spirit of Lasya.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

A

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I'll give the poll another day or two, it's been very close

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A nation that claims it cannot afford to feed its poor has no right to embark on a senselessly expensive project to build a brand new edifice for its elite.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

kw0134 posted:

A nation that claims it cannot afford to feed its poor has no right to embark on a senselessly expensive project to build a brand new edifice for its elite.

Actually....changing my vote to C because that increases the likelihood of us getting the Fractal Pyramid flag.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
A -- capitol doesn't need to be the one egg in the basket; we can develop other cities where it's more sensible to have industry and etc. but Lhasa is hella developed and makes sense as the symbolic center of the nation

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Can I vote to Keep Lhasa as the political capital, but move the market capital to Kolkata?

IIRC they can be separate in V3

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A, after a thousand years up here it wouldn't really be Tibet without Lhasa

Grizzwold posted:

Can I vote to Keep Lhasa as the political capital, but move the market capital to Kolkata?

IIRC they can be separate in V3
That's EU4, all the Victoria games only have one capital

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

A, after a thousand years up here it wouldn't really be Tibet without Lhasa

That's EU4, all the Victoria games only have one capital

I thought you could move market capitols in v3? Or did that get removed at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
You can move market capitols in V3, although it does give you a nationwide(!) malus to throughput for a few years if you do. You do get an infrastructure and migration bonus to the other province, and it doesn't stack with the bonus that the political capitol gets

I may try this at a later time, at least as we try and recover post-civil war

Edit: :siren: Voting closes tonight :siren:

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 3, 2024