Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slidebite posted:

That's an impressively wide sidewalk

And great job this happened in the US where nobody walks anywhere. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Shouldn't the driver been able to down shift engine brake to reduce a lot of the speed? Or am I missing something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

waffle iron posted:

Shouldn't the driver been able to down shift engine brake to reduce a lot of the speed? Or am I missing something?

It's not that easy in a truck without a synchronized transmission. You can't just jam it into any gear, you have to rev match and be somewhat close to even have a shot at grinding it into gear.

Add to that the stress of the situation and the simple fact that most people, even CDL holders who do this for a living, are just not good drivers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://i.imgur.com/sgti2GD.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/2rqX4Kz.mp4

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

im gonna need a backstory on this one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Grand Theft Auto VI looking dope af

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Motronic posted:

Starts with the driver who likely didn't pre-trip properly if at all. Can't wait to see how the tractor nor either trailer had any spring brakes. It's literally impossible to miss this three times if you're doing the things you're supposed to be doing before driving a commercial vehicle.

whenever a driver "didn't PTI" I tend to assume there is a culture of that behind them reinforcing that behavior. I would wanna know what happens at that company when you try to take a vehicle out of production for an issue. A lot of places love to go "no time, got loads, make it work" until video of someone making it work shows up on the news, and then it's all that driver's fault for not saying anything blah blah

Maybe it's better in not-:patriot: parts of the world but lol enjoy your unofficial management retaliation for making sales call somebody up to reschedule their rock delivery if you show up and won't drive the truck they give you, because someone else will

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

ATS mods are getting too real.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah this person should never be allowed to be near a car ever again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

whenever a driver "didn't PTI" I tend to assume there is a culture of that behind them reinforcing that behavior. I would wanna know what happens at that company when you try to take a vehicle out of production for an issue. A lot of places love to go "no time, got loads, make it work" until video of someone making it work shows up on the news, and then it's all that driver's fault for not saying anything blah blah

Maybe it's better in not-:patriot: parts of the world but lol enjoy your unofficial management retaliation for making sales call somebody up to reschedule their rock delivery if you show up and won't drive the truck they give you, because someone else will

No doubt on the culture and retaliation. The problem is that the people getting paid the worst and doing the actual work (the drivers) will be hung for this period. The rest of that is irrelevant to the penalties they will suffer from this. At best, it leads to additional punishment for management/the company, but in reality it just means they will pay a small fine and have to put up a new poster in the break room.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/iK8oOvr.mp4

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Um.

Whoever is driving this shouldn't have ever gotten a license and needs their blood tested immediately. Drugs, alcohol, or just completely detached from reality, take your bets.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Just terrific. Well done. You've saved $15 in ratchet straps.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

NoWake posted:

Just terrific. Well done. You've saved $15 in ratchet straps.

i did that back in high school except it was a brand new couch someone was throwing away and i had to go down a mountain to get it back to my house, couldn't pass up a free couch for the basement

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sign guy here, Yes, all digital LED reader boards are supposed to be installed with a photocell that reduces their brightness at night, otherwise they are loving ridiculously bright. Also fast flashing and color changing signage is generally banned in every city/county. So call yer code enforcement if you have these loving things bothering you, because they don't do poo poo until someone complains or it's on an inspectors way home from work every day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/ass_beaters/status/1733489029927104727?t=thsTc0K_d9EAbW77UYqyZA&s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s an easy tow, at least.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Big David Hasselhoff energy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

runaway pancake posted:

im gonna need a backstory on this one

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/rolls-royce-hit-and-run-16th-street-mall-denver/73-0c0bef04-2d7e-4f61-aba7-4e404ef5994d

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

rolls-royce-hit-and-run-16th-street-mall-denver

Chrysler’s design-language theft appears to have worked

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Why does the URL mention a Rolls Royce but nothing in the article? I'm not asking you. I'm just upset. I live in Denver and I've been seeing this clip for weeks and was really hoping for more detail.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I presume the initially misreported the 300 as a RR (my :thejoke:) , ran the story that way with a URL that matched the headline, then updated the story with the correct vehicle information, but didn’t want to bother with creating a new URL.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

televiper posted:

I presume the initially misreported the 300 as a RR (my :thejoke:) , ran the story that way with a URL that matched the headline, then updated the story with the correct vehicle information, but didn’t want to bother with creating a new URL.

Yeah I think that's right. You posted while I was writing mine.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

televiper posted:

I know that YouTube heavily discourages re-uploads due to the way AdSense revenue works. I wouldn't be surprised if that's just a company wide policy and the effect on revenue from the difference in new page/old page engagement would make fixing the trivial problem economically problematic for a small viral story

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/wU6FGN0.mp4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tesla owners not beating the 'dumb as poo poo' allegations anytime soon

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1740416328673153318?t=C3DOSNyTf0RcE7q23Qz-qQ&s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Idk this thing is driving exactly 💯 how an entitled prick would drive so maybe it DOES have the fully stimulated intelligence of someone like musk

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

https://youtu.be/gunI6OyhDVc?si=cxEbvHFs3V2Yuxla

Smart guy had the gall to honk back at me after this bonehead maneuver…

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Costco parking lot pop quiz

Before you can take somebody's parking spot they will:

A. Disappear upon sitting in the drivers seat like they filled a row in tetris
B. Phase through the car parked in front of them
C. Need somewhere to back out of the spot into.
D. Disappear faster if you honk

Once a car has left a parking spot, how many cars can then park there

A. 3
B. 2
C. 1
D. Honk

The fire lane in front of the store is for:

A. Parking to load things
B. Parking to run in for a few things quickly
C. Not for parking at all
D. Honk honk

The correct answers: HOOOOOOOOOOOONK

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

It seems like they just stopped turning? rear end in a top hat pass aside, that seemed totally doable if they'd actually turned the wheel at all...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

charliemonster42 posted:

It seems like they just stopped turning? rear end in a top hat pass aside, that seemed totally doable if they'd actually turned the wheel at all...

No that wasn't "doable".

They were hard to starboard at nearly 60 mph and under-steered into the cliff.

It was never gonna happen and that was the "safest" possible crash they could have had.

"Doable" shouldn't be a consideration on the road. If you're thinking about what's doable in your car you probably drive like a dick. I can only imagine an aggressive and impatient driver thinking like that.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 30, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

charliemonster42 posted:

Are you aware of a concept called "understeer" and how it may apply to this situation?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Motronic posted:

Are you aware of a concept called "understeer" and how it may apply to this situation?

Out with the irrelevant demons of logic! Begone!

There's a very clear failure in basic safety logic they're missing called "you're passing people around a turn at night on a one lane road" of which basic driving 101 fuckups occurred.

The rest happened afterwards. I mean clearly there appears to be a 35-40mph speed limit and person went to *70* to pass.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 31, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IMO it was a bad idea to pass across a double yellow, on a bridge, transitioning into curve, at night.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Looks like there is a small bump on the road that unloaded the front tires.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Love the telemetry showing 0% braking

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Love the telemetry showing 0% braking

The motor is pushing negative 25mph, I think they only engaged the regenerative braking

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

The motor is pushing negative 25mph, I think they only engaged the regenerative braking

Do Tesla have that one foot driving poo poo on them? ie: driver so used to just letting off the go pedal to brake their brain doesn't register the existence of the actual stop pedal?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Platystemon posted:

IMO it was a bad idea to pass across a double yellow, on a bridge, transitioning into curve, at night.

Opinions are like assholes.

I happen to agree wholeheartedly with yours though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

No that wasn't "doable".

They were hard to starboard at nearly 60 mph and under-steered into the cliff.

It was never gonna happen and that was the "safest" possible crash they could have had.

"Doable" shouldn't be a consideration on the road. If you're thinking about what's doable in your car you probably drive like a dick. I can only imagine an aggressive and impatient driver thinking like that.

As someone who started street driving in water cooled Volkswagens, I’m very familiar with the concept of understeer. I totally missed the steering wheel icon, I was looking at the lateral G indication and assumed they just stopped steering for some reason.

I also wasn’t suggesting that doable is a street driving consideration, just seemed like one further staggering display of incompetence beyond the nighttime tailgating double yellow line blind corner pass.