Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When you don't translate the individual bits separately you end up with Charlemagne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eldoop posted:

Even if you try very hard, it's tough to really accurately preserve the pronunciation of foreign names without distorting them at least a bit, because your tongue just isn't used to making those sounds or putting particular sounds next to each other. To do it consistently takes practice and focus, and for the most part that just hasn't been enough of a priority for people to put in that kind of effort. It's pretty common to even just outright "translate" names into your native language, like when we talk about "Tsar Alexander" or "Frederick the Great". Two thousand years of people badly pronouncing bad pronunciations of foreign names (and having to stick to those bad pronunciations so people will know who they're talking about) and you can wind up pretty far afield.

Also, the English version is the Anglicized form of the Latinized form of the Hellenized version of the original Persian.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Eldoop posted:

Even if you try very hard, it's tough to really accurately preserve the pronunciation of foreign names without distorting them at least a bit, because your tongue just isn't used to making those sounds or putting particular sounds next to each other. To do it consistently takes practice and focus, and for the most part that just hasn't been enough of a priority for people to put in that kind of effort. It's pretty common to even just outright "translate" names into your native language, like when we talk about "Tsar Alexander" or "Frederick the Great". Two thousand years of people badly pronouncing bad pronunciations of foreign names (and having to stick to those bad pronunciations so people will know who they're talking about) and you can wind up pretty far afield.

Most European languages translate established regal and biblical names to more familiar ones. Finnish for example translates Charles to Kaarle and George to Yrjö. (Apparently Charles III is now just "Charles III" even in Finnish press and many people think that's trampling over well established precedence and I very much agree.) There are myriad ways to translate John - many languages do Johannes based on the Greek Ioannes, Finns do Juha, Jussi, Hannes etc., Germans say Hans, Johann, Hänsel, Russians say Ivan, Spanish says Juan etc. The best one I've encountered is how Czech does Honza and we had a lot of fun over how many Honzas we had in attendance when I was in Prague in an international party.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

cheetah7071 posted:

When you don't translate the individual bits separately you end up with Charlemagne

Emperor Big Carl is how history should have been.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Big Chuck to his friends

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

"Char the Great," history is Gundam confirmed

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Chuck the Big Cheese is right there.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

barbecue at the folks posted:

The best one I've encountered is how Czech does Honza and we had a lot of fun over how many Honzas we had in attendance when I was in Prague in an international party.
How about Siobhan? (Yes I know that's more like Joanna)

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 22, 2023

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

Whitewashing the reputations of maligned Roman emperors seems to be fairly common, but are/were there any "Actually Trajan* sucked and was the worst ever" takes?

*or some other universally-adored emperor

Vespasian is the probably in the upper tier of Roman Emperors, if there is such a tier list. His last words are known to be "An emperor ought to die standing" then promptly died after a severe case of diarrhoea.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Vespasian is the probably in the upper tier of Roman Emperors, if there is such a tier list. His last words are known to be "An emperor ought to die standing" then promptly died after a severe case of diarrhoea.

I WAS going to correct you and say he was the "drat, I fear I am becoming a god" guy, but upon further research it turns out that while he DID allegedly make that joke near the end of his life, they weren't his LAST last words. Man, dude got two really good pithy sayings right at the end, what a king

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Here's a relevant video where a Latin speaker points out that just replacing the soft C with a K and patting yourself on the back is kinda weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjcX3MVSdyA

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I will still die mad about Kilikia

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

I will still die mad about Kilikia
Kikilia,
You're breaking my heart

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I’m just gonna keep using soft c’s unashamedly. Not like the language stayed the same between 300 BCE and 300 CE anyway, not to mention half the empire speaking Greek or retaining local languages. We transitioned to soft c for a reason (it sounds cooler) and it doesn’t need to be any other way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hard K is more fun and thus correct.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Asterite34 posted:

I WAS going to correct you and say he was the "drat, I fear I am becoming a god" guy, but upon further research it turns out that while he DID allegedly make that joke near the end of his life, they weren't his LAST last words. Man, dude got two really good pithy sayings right at the end, what a king

Also had the amazing put down when asked why he refused to arrest/kill one of his critics: “I won’t kill a dog for barking”.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Cyrus is written KRS(H) in the bible and they pronounced it Koresh when I was in bible class in grade school. Then in English I heard it with the soft C as Cyrus.

I did not bother to find out which, if any, is correct because I never had to say it out loud. 2024 goals.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blame the Normans. The soft c before i, e, or y comes from French.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Deteriorata posted:

Blame the Normans. The soft c before i, e, or y comes from French.

Th fact that every other romance language including Sardinian, the most conservative, I’ve heard also dropped a lot of hard Cs suggests to me it came from later latin before norman was even a thing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Modern, etymologically descended words still provide evidence of how it once sounded. It's pronounced "c-zar"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kiminewt posted:

Cyrus is written KRS(H) in the bible and they pronounced it Koresh when I was in bible class in grade school. Then in English I heard it with the soft C as Cyrus.

I did not bother to find out which, if any, is correct because I never had to say it out loud. 2024 goals.

I don't know how you correctly pronounce the vowels, but it remains something like Kipros in both Greek and Turkish.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
According to Wikipedia

quote:

The name Cyrus is a Latinized form derived from the Greek-language name Κῦρος (Kỹros), which itself was derived from the Old Persian name Kūruš.[19][20] The name and its meaning have been recorded within ancient inscriptions in different languages. The ancient Greek historians Ctesias and Plutarch stated that Cyrus was named from the Sun (Kuros), a concept which has been interpreted as meaning "like the Sun" (Khurvash) by noting its relation to the Persian noun for Sun, khor, while using -vash as a suffix of likeness.[21] Karl Hoffmann has suggested a translation based on the meaning of an Indo-European root "to humiliate", and accordingly, the name "Cyrus" means "humiliator of the enemy in verbal contest".[20] Another possible Iranian derivation would mean "the young one, child", similar to Kurdish kur ("son, little boy") or Ossetian i-gur-un ("to be born") and kur (young bull).[22] In the Persian language and especially in Iran, Cyrus's name is spelled as کوروش (Kūroš, [kuːˈɾoʃ]).[23] In the Bible, he is referred to in the Hebrew language as Koresh (כורש‎).[24] Some pieces of evidence suggest that Cyrus is Kay Khosrow, a legendary Persian king of the Kayanian dynasty and a character in Shahnameh, a Persian epic.[25]

Some scholars, however, believe that neither Cyrus nor Cambyses were Iranian names, proposing that Cyrus was Elamite[26] in origin and that the name meant "he who bestows care" in the extinct Elamite language.[27] One reason is that, while Elamite names may end in -uš, no Elamite texts spell the name this way — only Kuraš.[22] Meanwhile, Old Persian did not allow names to end in -aš, so it would make sense for Persian speakers to change an original Kuraš into the more grammatically correct form Kuruš.[22] Elamite scribes, on the other hand, would not have had a reason to change an original Kuraš into Kuruš, since both forms were acceptable.[22] Therefore, Kuraš probably represents the original form.[22] Another scholarly opinion is that Kuruš was a name of Indo-Aryan origin, in honour of the Indo-Aryan Kuru and Kamboja mercenaries from eastern Afghanistan and Northwest India that helped in the conquest of the Middle-East.[28][29] [c]

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

People well into the modern era had no qualms about just making up a vaguely similar sounding but more local name for whatever foreign person they were writing about.

Cyrus seems to be at least somewhat accurate to the original Persian.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
We should have kept doing it. Now English speakers have to put up with afronts to God like "Gdańsk."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just going to start pronouncing all Latin c's with the Malaysian c sound.

Julius Cheaser
Chichero
Marchus Porchius Chato

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
We need to go back to giving every person of note a Latin name. If it’s still good enough for Confucius it’s still good enough for everybody else.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Groda posted:

We should have kept doing it. Now English speakers have to put up with afronts to God like "Gdańsk."

I hate local translations of (mostly royal) names with a passion and I really like that we're not referring to Charles III as Karel in Dutch and Karl in German (and the scandi languages) and other local forms elsewhere

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Groda posted:

There are, well, other reasons not to use the German names for places that are now in independent Poland, though.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Who said anything about German names? That was the English name for hundreds of years.

Now it has an accent over the "n" out of missplaced sympathy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

galagazombie posted:

We need to go back to giving every person of note a Latin name. If it’s still good enough for Confucius it’s still good enough for everybody else.

I think it's cool and good for scholars to know all the OG names but it feels insane to me that some English speakers have taken up the stance that unlike virtually every other language, English needs to incorporate every other system. Maybe it's just because the languages I'm next most familiar with are Japanese and Chinese which literally cannot pronounce my name at all and that's just like... not a big deal. It's fine. I don't need either Chinese or English to use "Deutschland," and I don't even really see the value in trying to make them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My favourite italian city is Leghorn

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Oily Josh, considered the saviour of mankind by the Oilist religion, is often referred to as Josh from Watchtower but was actually born in the city of Meathouse. He was later crossfastened on Skullhill."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only nation which never, ever does local translations out of ideological reasons is north korea

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Oily Josh, considered the saviour of mankind by the Oilist religion, is often referred to as Josh from Watchtower but was actually born in the city of Meathouse. He was later crossfastened on Skullhill."

Islam sounds even more like something out of Dune when you do this. "The Submitters pray toward The Cube."

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
During the winter olympics in Turin, a bunch of Swedish journalists tried to be extra respectful and started saying Torino instead. Then it was pointed out that the city is actually called Turin in the local dialect - pronounced almost exactly like how Swedes pronounce Turin - and everyone felt a bit sheepish for a bit.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Anyway something actually interesting

https://twitter.com/DrMichaelJTayl1/status/1741513898912596046

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

thats dope

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

You left out the best part.

https://twitter.com/DrMichaelJTayl1/status/1741513902385484262
https://twitter.com/DrMichaelJTayl1/status/1741513905690550587
https://twitter.com/DrMichaelJTayl1/status/1741513907552854104

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tulip posted:

Islam sounds even more like something out of Dune when you do this. "The Submitters pray toward The Cube."

Not sure if it's the joke here but Dune is extremely blatantly based on Islam, Paul's whole story is basically a mix of Muhammed and Lawrence of Arabia. The Fremen are literal Zensunnis and are noted to be descendants of forcibly displaced Muslims still pissed they were denied the Hajj.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Not sure I buy that the Romans were less "racist" (as applicable as that term is to the ancient world) than the Carthaginians. There are surely many, presumably unrecorded, cases of Celts or other peoples who fought for the Romans and would have been looked down upon by their own commanders. Just seems more like a case where some guy felt under appreciated and switched sides, like an ancient Benedict Arnold.