Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have to kill them? I swear I did that and didn't get that but I don't think it killed either of them (maybe the throwing victim?)

Just need to hit one enemy with another. Killing with that hit not required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have to kill them? I swear I did that and didn't get that but I don't think it killed either of them (maybe the throwing victim?)

This one is more literal than you might think. You can't just throw them, you have to use the "improvised weapon" button to pick them up and smack another guy with them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nope, but you do have to specifically use Improvised Melee Weapon rather than Throw (you can use either one against goblins, or bigger people if you have enough strength)

I managed to one round the hag, but in order to knock her down to less than 10 HP without killing her I ended up throwing my Sussur Dagger. And for some reason, pathing decided to leave it stuck about 20 feet up in the air, completely out of reach forever. Oh well, at least it actually got used one time out of three runs so far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Nope, but you do have to specifically use Improvised Melee Weapon rather than Throw (you can use either one against goblins, or bigger people if you have enough strength)

I managed to one round the hag, but in order to knock her down to less than 10 HP without killing her I ended up throwing my Sussur Dagger. And for some reason, pathing decided to leave it stuck about 20 feet up in the air, completely out of reach forever. Oh well, at least it actually got used one time out of three runs so far.

Huh the exact same thing just happened to me with the same dagger, no other thrown weapons in there, might be a weird interaction with that and her room?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I think one of the biggest strengths of BG3 compared to most crpgs is that basically every encounter is a unique, bespoke thing, and areas will only have a few fights sprinkled around. There’s never a point where you enter a dungeon and fight a room of enemies, then go to the next room and fight another room of enemies, then solve a puzzle, then fight another room of enemies, and on and on.

Objection! The very first dungeon you go to follows the basic D&D rules for dungeon creation. You do a fight (or talk your way past), do a fight, do a fight, solve a puzzle, clear a trap and do another fight before facing a high level creature, with the correct number of empty rooms (1/3rd).

It is missing a dragon. And as we all agree, everything is better with a dragon.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The dragons are in the cutscenes!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMLWGnA6qPM

I think for my next full on evil durge run, I'm gonna play Patrick Bateman. Human obviously, but what class should I go? Human Battlemaster who only uses axes?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Thundarr posted:

Crates only weight like 3 units, shove some in your pants and go see if you can make a tower to reach it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Comstar posted:

Objection! The very first dungeon you go to follows the basic D&D rules for dungeon creation. You do a fight (or talk your way past), do a fight, do a fight, solve a puzzle, clear a trap and do another fight before facing a high level creature, with the correct number of empty rooms (1/3rd).

Genuinely not sure what area you're talking about. The temple on the coast has three fights (outside guys, inside guys, the skeletons), with no high level creatures (and you'd have to be pretty generous to call anything in there a puzzle). Goblin camp you could kind of approach like that, but doesn't line up with the trap/puzzle part even if you're going in guns blazing from the start.

Anyway, at the risk of taking a joke(?) too serious, compare with something like the very first dungeon in Wrath of the Righteous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZq0BD2nhcE&t=3310s
The game says "okay it's time for a capital D Dungeon" and you go through a lot of rooms where you enter and fight the creatures and maybe open some chests and then repeat over and over. It's a very common pattern in crpgs in general, and I think part of what makes BG3 so strong is that it doesn't really have any areas like that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Entropic posted:

in the very early game you pick up a fighter, a wizard, a barbarian, and a warlock for your party that are all pretty solid, as well as a rogue and a cleric that can be respecced to be good, so whatever class you pick for your PC you'll be able to build a party that covers melee tanking and spellcasting.
Just pick whatever looks fun to play, and accept that your first playthrough is not going to be optimally min-maxed because you don't know everything that's going on yet, and that's fine.
Also there's an NPC you meet extremely early in the game who hangs out at your camp and can re-spec any character for 100 gold at any time, which is basically free. So if your character build isn't doing it for you, you can just switch to something else.

Basically free? Did you not read the post from the guy that had to suck off the entire orc camp to afford a revive?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Just got the platinum!!! Only took 4 playthroughs! 😵😵😵😵😵😵

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

AgentHaiTo posted:

I think for my next full on evil durge run, I'm gonna play Patrick Bateman. Human obviously, but what class should I go? Human Battlemaster who only uses axes?

Beserker Barbarian

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Rock Dwarf Monk with no hair whatsoever

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Crates only weight like 3 units, shove some in your pants and go see if you can make a tower to reach it.

Well what do you know, that worked. Guess I need to Minecraft more in BG3.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
That bitch Shart killed Nightsong! There will be consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2dQBhbg9Cc

And she's gonna stay dead.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

grack posted:

Beserker Barbarian

The only way to play.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

That bitch Shart killed Nightsong! There will be consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2dQBhbg9Cc

And she's gonna stay dead.

Lmaooo.

I just entered into the gauntlet and am trying to decide if I'm going to save or kill the NS. Shart is not a regular member of my party, but brought her for this quest, so don't really care what she turns into nor have plans for either weapon.

I did kill the tieflings but a far have saved Last Light Inn. Anything I should be aware of that should bias my decision one way or the other?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I read about 5 pages but missed any discussion on the topic so sorry if this has been repeated a lot.

I just bought BG3 and I'm wondering what a good first character would be. I usually go Paladin for DnD games but since this game is very very story heavy I've heard that could really limit me. A bard would be good for that but from what I remember they're pretty weak. I find fighters pretty boring and pure casters too difficult. Cleric is good but I don't know if they have the dialog issues that Paladins have. I don't like multiclassing. I've been out of the DnD game thing for a few years.

Any ideas for a character for simple first time playthrough?

Bards are excellent in 5e. Paladins are also excellent and if you choose vengeance paladin you’re not very limited at all story wise.

For a first play through, I’d go Bard for sure and take the sword bard speciality. Decide if you want to focus on melee attacks or be an archer, swords bard supports both.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Lmaooo.

I just entered into the gauntlet and am trying to decide if I'm going to save or kill the NS. Shart is not a regular member of my party, but brought her for this quest, so don't really care what she turns into nor have plans for either weapon.

I did kill the tieflings but a far have saved Last Light Inn. Anything I should be aware of that should bias my decision one way or the other?

Well... I also failed to save the inn. I am playing a no save scum campaign, so when Isobel got herself knocked out, I rode it in. I also just lost Astarion, rolling 6 consecutive failures in a row. Guess it was meant to be.

And from watching my GF's playthrough, I think her arc will bear fruit in Act 3, so I guess it really depends on which aspect of her story you want to tackle. Darth Shart wants to pay her old friends a visit. Jedi Master Shart wants to start over. Just depends how much you care. I'm sure someone here has beaten the game and knows more.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TraderStav posted:

if you aren't already aware killing NS drops the barrier around Last Light so make sure you've gotten everything from the inn that you want before doing so

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Snake Maze posted:

Genuinely not sure what area you're talking about. The temple on the coast has three fights (outside guys, inside guys, the skeletons), with no high level creatures (and you'd have to be pretty generous to call anything in there a puzzle). Goblin camp you could kind of approach like that, but doesn't line up with the trap/puzzle part even if you're going in guns blazing from the start.

Fight or talk outside, get in and fight the one guy at the door, empty room, large fight, 3 empty rooms (though the NPC's can be split up 3 different ways I've found so far), find a hidden (!) button to open a locked door (I say it counts as a puzzle!), empty room, empty room with some treasure, room with traps and magic item, room with another hidden (!) button and fight, meeting high level NPC who counts as a special encounter.

Red book Basic D&D dungeon design. Frankly the game needs more dungeons like that. I have not yet got past act 1 (up to Honor attempt number 13 so far) but I fear no other dungeon is actually built that way.

It does show up all the trash fights you come across in Pathfinder.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I can’t make my baby brain work enough to figure this out.

For a tavern brawler open hand monk, wouldn’t the Dex gloves be a nice value add? Level 7 now, so o lay one feat, but I can dump dex, push strength and constitution with a decent wisdom. But I also have the gloves that add a d4 of fire damage to every unarmed strike. Wearing the cats grace robe (which also occurs to me is slightly wasted if I am boosting dex via the gloves)

I swear I used to be smart. I just can’t hold these interactions in my head

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Trevor Hale posted:

For a tavern brawler open hand monk, wouldn’t the Dex gloves be a nice value add? Level 7 now, so o lay one feat, but I can dump dex, push strength and constitution with a decent wisdom. But I also have the gloves that add a d4 of fire damage to every unarmed strike. Wearing the cats grace robe (which also occurs to me is slightly wasted if I am boosting dex via the gloves)

There's a bunch of damage add gloves for monks, and giant strength elixirs are plentiful. It seems more reasonable to dump strength rather than dexterity if you're going to dump one.

e: the stupidest / funniest way to clear Ragzlin's room: I walked up to one of the goblins out of combat, and just chucked it into the spider pit. In the guard agro dialog I just selected Attack. The pit spiders killed the goblin while everybody else cheered me on. I was able to repeat this for everybody in the room other than Ragzlin himself.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 1, 2024

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you can throw goblins???

this changes everything

goblins are small, so your hypothetical throwbarian only needs like 18 str to pick em up and toss them at another enemy. a regular sized dude takes about 20 str I think.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo why I have never used crown of madness before? I used it on Fezzerk at the goblin mill and he not only killed one of the goblins for me but they all decide to attack him instead of my party as well and he quickly got slain by his own allies.

In fairness I was up on high ground. I wonder if the AI would still have prioritized him over me if they could have more easily gotten to me. Kinda rocked in that scenario though

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Skill issue imo

for real though the UI is terrible. it's really not tedious or that much more time consuming to open the menu to use a scroll/potion whatever though, it takes like .5 seconds to do

Oh, here's a protip for loot management. Pick up pouches/backpacks and use them for potions/scrolls/arrows and keep them on an associated party member. Makes that sort of inventory managed much easier.

inventory and hotbar management is always going to be challenging on a game like this. Interestingly, the current form is actually the result of tons of consultation and feedback from players over the course of early access.

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I think one of the biggest strengths of BG3 compared to most crpgs is that basically every encounter is a unique, bespoke thing, and areas will only have a few fights sprinkled around. There’s never a point where you enter a dungeon and fight a room of enemies, then go to the next room and fight another room of enemies, then solve a puzzle, then fight another room of enemies, and on and on.

Yea this stood out in a big way for me. It’s designed for turn based combat (in a good way, not a grindy 90s/00s JRPG kinda way) and it feels more like a tabletop game than any video game RPG I’ve ever played.

It was actually a really bold design choice to depart from what has been safe and familiar to people for decades now and I hope it has wide reaching ramifications across the RPG genre; because it’s so much better than something like dragon age with just waves of pointless enemies and rapid healing after each fight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the big benefit of being independently owned and operated with a megahit under your belt is that you get to do whatever the gently caress you want without executive mandates to produce as safe and bland a product as humanly possible

i'd like to be more optimistic, but the most likely lesson companies take from BG3 isn't "people really like turn-based combat with bespoke encounter design" but rather "people love full facial mocap and highly fuckable companions"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

People massively overestimate how much AC and HP you actually need. It’s perfectly fine to start out your tavern monk with 17 STR/14 DEX/10 CON/16 WIS.

You can gain extra HP with the Aid spell, and there are a bunch of ways to gain blade ward and bonus HP (including the tadpole power for 10 bonus HP). There are also 3 items that you can get that each give +1 AC - a cloak, a ring and boots; 2 of those are in act 1 iirc.

You can get your Dex up to 16 with the robes, which will be perfectly fine to wear up to act 3 when you get the top notch monk robes (that also give you AC). You’ll gain an item in act 3 that gives +2 Con; or just use the necklace to set it to 23.

some folks rely on stockpiling str potions early on, but to me that’s an unnecessary annoyance. If you’re struggling, though, there is also a club in the underdark that will set your strength to 19. But really once you’re past the early game you shouldn’t be worrying about having slightly lower AC or HP.

The glove slot is hugely contested and IMO the last thing you want to be using it for is a stat boost; right now you have gloves that do 1d4 damage, and later on you’ll have the gloves of soul catching that do 1d10 damage per unarmed strike, gives you +2 con and gives you the option of either healing for 10 each turn or having advantage on all your attacks for the turn.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

the big benefit of being independently owned and operated with a megahit under your belt is that you get to do whatever the gently caress you want without executive mandates to produce as safe and bland a product as humanly possible

i'd like to be more optimistic, but the most likely lesson companies take from BG3 isn't "people really like turn-based combat with bespoke encounter design" but rather "people love full facial mocap and highly fuckable companions"

I mean that’s something I guess, those things are also really good. I just wish there were more studios like Larian. There are lots of great indy games out there, but producing a 2d isometric RPG with a small team is not the same as having a big AAA budget and producing a BG3, it’s that marriage of AAA money and ‘we aren’t designing a game based on what our shareholders/accounting department want’ that makes BG3 such an incredible game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Lord Bude posted:

inventory and hotbar management is always going to be challenging on a game like this. Interestingly, the current form is actually the result of tons of consultation and feedback from players over the course of early access.

Yea this stood out in a big way for me. It’s designed for turn based combat (in a good way, not a grindy 90s/00s JRPG kinda way) and it feels more like a tabletop game than any video game RPG I’ve ever played.

It was actually a really bold design choice to depart from what has been safe and familiar to people for decades now and I hope it has wide reaching ramifications across the RPG genre; because it’s so much better than something like dragon age with just waves of pointless enemies and rapid healing after each fight.

I think what bothers me the most is the hot bars at the the bottom of the game screen, where there's a ton of wasted space and frilly crap, and because I'm a caster who went all in on illithid powers, I can't see all of my available actions because even with the max of four rows it's just too much poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Baldur's Gate 3 was made pretty much the only way games of this magnitude can, by a developer with a singular vision and a longstanding team that has steadily been perfecting their craft for the past 20 years. Or in other words, everything the video game industry is currently not. It's not like 100+ hour turn-based CRPGs hit all the engagement metrics on somebody's spreadsheet, even though games of that type clearly are super popular with people. So as culturally significant as BG3 has been, some greater mechanisms within the industry would need to change first. However, SAYING your game is just like Baldur's Gate 3 costs nothing and those numbers will only go up, up, up!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I think what bothers me the most is the hot bars at the the bottom of the game screen, where there's a ton of wasted space and frilly crap, and because I'm a caster who went all in on illithid powers, I can't see all of my available actions because even with the max of four rows it's just too much poo poo.

You can remove stuff though; and move stuff from
The secondary tabs to the main tab. So for eg as a caster; you can put the 3-4 spells you use all the time on that bar, then use the tabs to filter by spell level to cast something else on the rare occasion you need it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

But if I start removing things from my bars how will my Wizard land that clutch pommel strike that secures our ultimate victory over the Absolute?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Does anyone else who played BG1 feel that the way this game used Sarevok was at best underwhelming and at worst wrecks his story from the first two games? It was a cool moment to see him again, but the game goes at lengths to say he's basically a little bitch and his redemption wasn't real so he ends up sat on a chair under the city of Baldurs Gate doing what? Nothing about his character in the first games suggested he would just sit around "adjudicating" for Bhaal. He was ambitious, ruthless and smart. It just feels like the writers wanted to include him somehow, and replaced a generic "judge of Bhaal" character with him or something. Even if you ignore his pseudo redemption in TOB (which, I assume most players take because it is, I think, one of the better plot lines in the games) it still doesn't fit him really. Basically everything about his appearing in BG makes his story in BG1 and 2 worse.

I think it would have been better to have a pretender or something, an aspirant wearing Sarevoks gear. Maybe Orin is using a doppleganger to pretend to be Sarevok. Then the player gets the same sort of reaction "Oh its him from BG1", can still get the cool hat and sword and Sarevok could have gone to Kara-tur to bury Tamoko, having some sort of thematic ending appropriate for the character.

Its the first time in the game I have really been disappointed with the connection to the first two games and think his inclusion was pretty poorly implemented.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mitochondritom posted:

Does anyone else who played BG1 feel that the way this game used Sarevok was at best underwhelming and at worst wrecks his story from the first two games? It was a cool moment to see him again, but the game goes at lengths to say he's basically a little bitch and his redemption wasn't real so he ends up sat on a chair under the city of Baldurs Gate doing what? Nothing about his character in the first games suggested he would just sit around "adjudicating" for Bhaal. He was ambitious, ruthless and smart. It just feels like the writers wanted to include him somehow, and replaced a generic "judge of Bhaal" character with him or something. Even if you ignore his pseudo redemption in TOB (which, I assume most players take because it is, I think, one of the better plot lines in the games) it still doesn't fit him really. Basically everything about his appearing in BG makes his story in BG1 and 2 worse.

I think it would have been better to have a pretender or something, an aspirant wearing Sarevoks gear. Maybe Orin is using a doppleganger to pretend to be Sarevok. Then the player gets the same sort of reaction "Oh its him from BG1", can still get the cool hat and sword and Sarevok could have gone to Kara-tur to bury Tamoko, having some sort of thematic ending appropriate for the character.

Its the first time in the game I have really been disappointed with the connection to the first two games and think his inclusion was pretty poorly implemented.

Yeah, it's pretty lovely. It's especially jarring because Minsc and Jaheira are done so well and their inclusions into the story feel believable. Jaheira and Minsc feel plausible in BG3 because of course Jaheira would still be trying to do harper things 100 years later. She's the eternal soldier fighting the good fight. And of course Minsc would get turned to stone and then blunder into the Mindflayers and have no idea what's going on. But Sarevok? He's too ambitious to be playing second fiddle to Orin and Bhaal. Evil Sarevok would be trying to take over the cult of the absolute for himself. Or at least plotting to supplant Orin as Bhaal's chosen. Not just sitting in a chair pathetically clinging to some shred of power. That was never his character.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

exquisite tea posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 was made pretty much the only way games of this magnitude can, by a developer with a singular vision and a longstanding team that has steadily been perfecting their craft for the past 20 years. Or in other words, everything the video game industry is currently not. It's not like 100+ hour turn-based CRPGs hit all the engagement metrics on somebody's spreadsheet, even though games of that type clearly are super popular with people. So as culturally significant as BG3 has been, some greater mechanisms within the industry would need to change first. However, SAYING your game is just like Baldur's Gate 3 costs nothing and those numbers will only go up, up, up!

I kinda feel Larian has a very unique position in the industry right now, I definitely can't think of another western studio with the same level of independence and commercial success. I guess FromSoft, Kojima Productions and Nintendo's game-making division are their closest peers?

I do hope BG3's success will lead to an increased interest in western RPGs in general and for the suits to clear their studios to tackle the genre more seriously, but I really can't think of anyone other than Larian that could make something with the scale and production standards of BG3. Owlcat could get there in some titles if their games keep selling, dunno if Obsidian is interested/equipped in returning to the genre after Tyranny and PoE2 flopped and BioWare, well, lol lmao. Also RIP Harebrained Schemes.

also I hope against hope other CRPG devs will look at this and please please please have good encounter design in their titles i am so done with trash fights

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah, it's pretty lovely. It's especially jarring because Minsc and Jaheira are done so well and their inclusions into the story feel believable. Jaheira and Minsc feel plausible in BG3 because of course Jaheira would still be trying to do harper things 100 years later. She's the eternal soldier fighting the good fight. And of course Minsc would get turned to stone and then blunder into the Mindflayers and have no idea what's going on. But Sarevok? He's too ambitious to be playing second fiddle to Orin and Bhaal. Evil Sarevok would be trying to take over the cult of the absolute for himself. Or at least plotting to supplant Orin as Bhaal's chosen. Not just sitting in a chair pathetically clinging to some shred of power. That was never his character.

I'm glad it isn't just me. Knowing Larian is a different studio and seeing how they wisely didn't make a "true" sequel to BG3, my expectations for a continuation of the series were low. Seeing Minsc and Jaheria was alright, as its finding a few returning weapons / gear. I can't help but think it would have been better overall to just make a new series, set it in Waterdeep or something. Almost nothing from the first two games matters in this one. As someone who's love of DnD and the realms comes from Black Isle and Bioware's games, much of BG3 makes me feel weird. It would be easier if it was a bad game, but its absolutely amazing so I can't articulate why I feel let down by it well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just curious, why did PoE2 flop when the first game was such a success? I never got around to playing it but I seem to remember all the press being very favourable and getting the impression people thought it was better than the first game.

What’s his name from obsidian said he’d only be interested in doing a PoE 3 if he was given BG3 money to play with. But now that Microsoft owns them (iirc) I’m not holding my breath to see many great things from them again.

And the bethesdas and biowares of the world have become so bland and generic. Starfield comes off so badly in comparison to BG3.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's probably my number one hope that the success of BG3 leads Microsoft to give Josh Sawyer a huge pile of money to do PoE3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

I'm glad it isn't just me. Knowing Larian is a different studio and seeing how they wisely didn't make a "true" sequel to BG3, my expectations for a continuation of the series were low. Seeing Minsc and Jaheria was alright, as its finding a few returning weapons / gear. I can't help but think it would have been better overall to just make a new series, set it in Waterdeep or something. Almost nothing from the first two games matters in this one. As someone who's love of DnD and the realms comes from Black Isle and Bioware's games, much of BG3 makes me feel weird. It would be easier if it was a bad game, but its absolutely amazing so I can't articulate why I feel let down by it well.

I think Larian wanted a hook to get fans of BG1 & 2 excited about the game. Nobody expected it to become such a sensation outside the expected audience of old CRPG nerds. Now that is has though, and there are all these fans who’ve been introduced to the setting, I think it becomes much easier to sell new games in the setting that aren’t sequels.